January 16, 2021, 05:34:00 AM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 75142 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2012, 12:04:19 AM »
yes, he does appear to have turned ginger.

when you think about it, he was ahead of his time, back then, using the brattish tantrums when he was in a corner, getting beaten, and needed to put his opponent off.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2012, 12:06:55 AM »

when you think about it, he was ahead of his time, back then, using the brattish tantrums when he was in a corner, getting beaten, and needed to put his opponent off.

The Luis Suarez of his day.  ;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2012, 12:08:16 AM »

Either that or they mistakenly used a picture of Paddy Ashdown.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2012, 12:12:55 AM »
The Luis Suarez of his day.  ;D

;D

i must say that I suspect it must be a nightmare playing against Suarez.  He reminds me of a real wind-up merchant who will take the pi.ss and laugh at his opponents.

and I think there might be a little more to his mischievouvness, but I would not be prepared to air all my thoughts in public on the matter.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2012, 12:33:44 AM »
;D

i must say that I suspect it must be a nightmare playing against Suarez.  He reminds me of a real wind-up merchant who will take the pi.ss and laugh at his opponents.

and I think there might be a little more to his mischievouvness, but I would not be prepared to air all my thoughts in public on the matter.

It's the flaw that allows for the genius.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2012, 12:39:07 AM »
And our new goalkeeper, soon to sign is (drum roll, please. Dam n you, I ask for a drum roll and I get given a forward roll) is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2243641/Brad-Jones-sign-new-deal-Liverpool.html

So we're sticking not twisting. All things considered, it's not that bad. We have far greater spending priorities. I'd go as far as saying goals from midfield is ahead of goalkeeping changes in the list of squad requirements and changes.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2012, 01:10:10 AM »
LFC media watch have this story today:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/media-watch/talksport-honda-could-make-reds-move

As do the Gruadain, however Talksport also had the same story on Friday 4th March 2011:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/5668/4/borussia-dortmund-do-battle-liverpool-over-%C2%A313m-honda

And in between on Wednesday April 25th 2012 was a slightly different one, this time having us in competition with Galatasaray:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/120425/galatasaray-join-liverpool-honda-chase-170638

Safe to say Santa won't be bringing Rodgers a Honda.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2012, 01:56:56 AM »
my first Honda (in this warm tropical paradise) was so good, that I bought a second Honda.

And when in the UK, all my lawn-mowers were Hondas.   Superb machines.

Superb engine.   

They make great midfielders.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 07, 2012, 12:31:16 AM »
my first Honda (in this warm tropical paradise) was so good, that I bought a second Honda.

And when in the UK, all my lawn-mowers were Hondas.   Superb machines.

Superb engine.   

They make great midfielders.

Totally agree on the mowers Dude. Wouldn't touch another.

Likewise the cars. Not always the most stylish, but then what good is style when the only person who ever gets to see it is a mechanic.

Getting Honda would not only make sense on the pitch but also off it. It would be like having a free transfer, literally, as he would pay for himself with the increased revenue from Asia. Likewise our main sponsor would be pleased and probably more likely to sign up again, seeing the increased exposure they'd get in their key market, and any American companies the owners were thinking of getting on board as sponsors/partners, again, would jump at the increased Far Eastern exposure they'd get being associated with us.

The Asian market is huge, absolutely monstrous, and so many fans there tend to follow or indentify with a player and then follow the club he plays for, as opposed to chosing a club first and then following/idolising a player from that club.

Win/win situations don't come along very often and Far Eastern players tend to do well in the PL.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 07, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »
Totally agree on the mowers Dude. Wouldn't touch another.

Likewise the cars. Not always the most stylish, but then what good is style when the only person who ever gets to see it is a mechanic.

Getting Honda would not only make sense on the pitch but also off it. It would be like having a free transfer, literally, as he would pay for himself with the increased revenue from Asia. Likewise our main sponsor would be pleased and probably more likely to sign up again, seeing the increased exposure they'd get in their key market, and any American companies the owners were thinking of getting on board as sponsors/partners, again, would jump at the increased Far Eastern exposure they'd get being associated with us.

The Asian market is huge, absolutely monstrous, and so many fans there tend to follow or indentify with a player and then follow the club he plays for, as opposed to chosing a club first and then following/idolising a player from that club.

Win/win situations don't come along very often and Far Eastern players tend to do well in the PL.

good to see another Honda mower appreciator.

every October I would put my honda mower in the garage for the winter, and every March/April would bring her out again.....and she''d start first pull every time.  I had a chain saw the same way.    There is nothing worse that pulling and pulling to try and start an engine, each time she stops/is closed down.

I had two honda mowers, standard and a new large one.  Superb.

love my Honda cars here.  In the second/third world, it is important to buy one of only 3 or 4 makes (because hard to get parts for other makes).  So smart folk here learn to buy either Honda, Mitsibushi, Nissan.

Yes, an Asian Honda midfielder would pay for himself.  Great engine, financially well-oiled, always starts first-time, little noise when idling, etc. 

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2012, 11:02:23 PM »
Honda would an incredible signing thus I can't see it happening  :(

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 09, 2012, 12:15:25 AM »
Honda would an incredible signing thus I can't see it happening  :(

Agree and agree. It'll be some overated English player, overpriced and over renumerated.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2012, 02:13:51 PM »
Reina being linked with Arsenal again. Some sort of swap with Walcott.

Whilst there's far worse players we could sign than Walcott, having to try and find a replacement for Reina in the January window is something we simply shouldn't contemplate.
Even with the cash difference we'd receive we'd neither afford a good enough replacement, (and in any case, we should always be looking to improve on, not simply replace) or have enough to convince another club to part with their first choice keeper by making them an 'offer they couldn't refuse'. The days should be gone where we make those sorts of offers, ala Carroll, Downing and Henderson.

An improvement on Pepe would require us to add cash to what we received from Arsenal. Are our owners really going to provide enough cash for two quality forward players with some left over to put to a replacement goalkeeper.

Also there's a case for cover at defensive midfield and a left back if Enrique is to be re-deployed. Forget Glenn Johnson at left back, at least not permanently, Agger's a centre half and Robinson's too young yet to be relied upon full time. Then we have to address the lack of obvious creativity in midfield.
And even two forward players in January could do with reinforcing further.

So goalkeeper doesn't even appear on the long list of priorities

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2012, 08:25:37 PM »
Sturridge rumours keep ramping up. No too sure about him anymore.

Edward, have you heard any news on this one?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »
Why is it that we always seem to get linked the heaviest with English players. Have none of our scouts got a passport?