January 16, 2021, 05:30:53 AM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 75139 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #285 on: January 01, 2013, 12:07:04 AM »
Running the team down will only make us easier to sell if the price reflects the 'bargain status'. Additionally, they'd have to factor in the stadium (or not) situation.

They're mistakes have proved expensive financially and in football terms. They need to relinquish one of their sporting 'portfolio pieces' or invest in a suitably strong and qualified administration to run the club for them.

the acid test will be the redevelopment of Anfield.

That will be a major financial commitment that they will have to make.

But they will have to commit to it, if they hope to sell at a premium. 

I think, reading between the lines this past year, that their heart is not entirely in the Liverpool FC project. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 01, 2013, 12:35:04 AM »
I think, reading between the lines this past year, that their heart is not entirely in the Liverpool FC project.

I'm starting to get that same gut feeling. In addition to everything that running a foreign (in every aspect of the word) entails, their 'beloved franchise' is having a tough time also and I get the feeling they've got one too many plates spinning now.

All I ask is that any new owner has the financial strength to compete. We don't want to throw money around like City and Chelsea, but to be able to invest in a more organic way that allows us to have a standard setting academy eventually, the stadium issue solved tastefully and in a way befitting who we were and aspire to be again, a standard setting scouting network and 'if neccessary' make the odd specific big money purchase.
I'd always rather see us produce our own stars through the academy and top quality coaching and scouting, but occassionally you have to make a large strategic purchase. We always need to maintain that 'homegrown' and 'homely' feel about the club. The city of Liverpool deserves nothing less. No Kings Road glitterati, just Anfield humility, honesty and decency.   
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 02, 2013, 12:14:16 AM »
Inter Milan may help Liverpool over on-loan Sahin as Reds look to get high-earner off their books

By Graeme Yorke  1 January 2013

Inter Milan may come to Liverpool’s rescue over on-loan midfielder Nuri Sahin.

Liverpool want the Turkey player, 24, to return to Real Madrid to free up wages as they consider other targets to add to Daniel Sturridge and Thomas Ince. Inter are keen and may strike a deal with Madrid.

Liverpool have also been linked with Palermo midfielder Josip Ilicic, 24.

Meanwhile, Liverpool loan target Kevin Gameiro says he does not want to leave Paris Saint-Germain.

The 25-year-old French striker said: ‘I’m with PSG and I hope to stay here
until the end of the season.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2255840/Liverpool-hope-Inter-Milan-help-Nuri-Sahin-deal.html

Strange. He obviously wasn't seen as 'a higher earner' in the Summer. I guess he's proven to be a 'not too expensive flop', as he will be the first of what become known as Rodgers' flops.
Hopefully, with more time to assess his needs and more time to to acquire, this window will be a more productive, better thought out one.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 02, 2013, 12:19:17 AM »
hopefully, with more time to assess his needs and more time to to acquire, this window will be a more productive, better thought out one.

:D

you are an optomist, Tes.

I think Sturridge and co, will be added to that Borini, Allen, Coates, Adams, Henderson, Downing, Cole, (cannae recall the injured Italian midfielder's name) etc list of club flops.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 02, 2013, 12:25:15 AM »
Liverpool hope to seal loan deal for Paris St-Germain striker Kevin Gameiro but move for Thomas Ince stalls

By Chris Bascombe 31 Dec 2012

Manager Brendan Rodgers had originally lined up the Frenchman as an alternative to Sturridge, in case the deal for the England striker faltered.

But he is now keen to add even more striking power to his ranks and hopes to sign Gameiro as well to revamp his attacking options.

The 25 year-old would be a versatile addition to the squad, able to play in a variety of forward roles. His age also fits the profile of the club’s American owners, who have made it clear they do not want to sanction expensive deals for players in their late twenties or thirties.

Gameiro was one of the most highly sought after attackers in French football when he moved to PSG for £9 million in the summer of 2011. He scored 14 goals last season, and is also a France international.

But the arrival of Zlatan Ibrahimovic at PSG has limited his opportunities during this campaign.

Liverpool  are not the only side interested in the player, but Rodgers will hope a fresh start on Merseyside will enable Gameiro to recapture his best form.

Sturridge’s signing will be confirmed this week, but it will be too soon for the £12 million purchase from Chelsea to make his debut against Sunderland on Wednesday. He has already completed a medical and agreed personal terms, but he will not be registered in time.

The 23 year-old has been pencilled in to face Mansfield in the FA Cup third round on Sunday.

Negotiations for Blackpool midfielder Thomas Ince have temporarily stalled after fraught discussions with the Championship club. Liverpool’s valuation of around £4 million – for a player who left Anfield last season for £500,000 and is available for free this summer – was considered ‘too low’. There is no prospect of Liverpool bidding any higher since Ince will be out of contract in the summer.

After similarly difficult negotiations when Charlie Adam made the same move – a deal which actually led to Ince moving to Blackpool – Liverpool are wary of overpaying again. Ince’s heart is set on a return to Merseyside.

Liverpool are also keen to loan out Uruguayan defender Sebastian Coates. Napoli, Juventus, Lazio and Santos are interested.

Rodgers is looking at 21-year-old French defender Nicolas Isimat-Mirin from Valenciennes, but Liverpool have also rejected a potential swap deal involving Joe Cole and Lille’s Salomon Kalou.

The Liverpool players were given Monday off to avoid the spreading of the illness which affected Rodgers on Sunday. The club’s pre-match press conference ahead of their Sunderland fixture was also cancelled, but the players are scheduled to return to training on Tuesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9773333/Liverpool-hope-to-seal-loan-deal-for-Paris-St-Germain-striker-Kevin-Gameiro-but-move-for-Thomas-Ince-stalls.html#

I hadn't realised Ince only signed a two year deal when he signed for Blackpool.

If he really does want to come back to the club, then let's wait until the Summer.

Gameiro on loan would be a good idea. When you see how Chamakh, Gervinho and Giroud did and have taken time to settle from the French league, it could be a cost effective transaction.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 02, 2013, 12:26:48 AM »
:D

you are an optomist, Tes.

I think Sturridge and co, will be added to that Borini, Allen, Coates, Adams, Henderson, Downing, Cole, (cannae recall the injured Italian midfielder's name) etc list of club flops.

I'm an optimist with a stutter.  :D Hope is all we have, be it blind or based on 'something'.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 02, 2013, 07:42:53 AM »
I'm an optimist with a stutter.  :D Hope is all we have, be it blind or based on 'something'.

Faith, Tes! Believe in the Brendan!

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 02, 2013, 07:46:18 AM »

I hadn't realised Ince only signed a two year deal when he signed for Blackpool.

If he really does want to come back to the club, then let's wait until the Summer.

Gameiro on loan would be a good idea. When you see how Chamakh, Gervinho and Giroud did and have taken time to settle from the French league, it could be a cost effective transaction.

We were being quoted 6 million at one stage...unbelievable that he can go anywhere he wants in the summer...now 6 mil for Walcott would be one thing...6 mil for a player we got rid?
Nah...with our new found business acumen i fully expect Ince to sign for 4 though...we shall see...

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 02, 2013, 06:07:09 PM »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 02, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Sturridge it is then....

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8377245/Sturridge-Joins-Humongous-Liverpool

He has some great things to say about the club and the manager. Hopefully he can and will back his words up:

“I am delighted to sign for one of the biggest clubs in the world,” he said.

“I am humbled and happy to be here. My first impressions have been the same as the impressions I've had throughout my life - it's just a huge club and it's a dream for anybody to play for.

“The history of the club and the fans are amazing - it has everything a player could wish to have behind them.

“The manager said he sees me here for a long time - and I also see myself here for a long time too.

“I've not signed here to play for a couple of years and then move on. I've signed to be here for as long as possible.

“It's a humongous club and to have the fans and world-class players we have here is amazing.

“I'm just happy the manager has put faith in me. He is the first manager to actually pay for me and sign me, so I can't ask for any more from him or the club in bringing me here.

“I just can't wait for the games to start rolling on. I've not played for a while as I've had a couple of injuries over the last few months, but I'm just happy now to join such a great club, to be part of a revolution and to be part of something new and something special. Hopefully we'll be able to bring a bit of success for the fans.”

“I see myself as a striker. I think I perform best there because my attributes, I believe, are best as a central striker, but I have played on the wing and have learned a lot doing so,” he added.

“I'd never refuse to play in that position and I've never demanded to play up front, either.

“For me, whatever the manager wants me to do I will do it and work as hard as I can for the club and the fans.

“I'll try to put a smile on the fans' faces and try to bring some success to the club - it would be amazing.

“I'm quite quick, I like to dribble with the ball, to try and set up my team-mates. I'm quite direct and I like to shoot and pass

“The pace can help my team-mates put me through on goal, but most importantly it's just about working for the team and trying to help my team-mates win the game. That's what's more important than anything else - it doesn't really matter about me as an individual. It's about the team and about winning games.”

“I have been told by so many people that it's amazing and the feelings you'll have when you go out onto the pitch,” he said.

“When the fans sing 'You'll Never Walk Alone', as an opposition player it doesn't affect you - but playing for the team, it's a completely different feeling.

“You feel a lot of emotions and you just want to go out there and play your heart out. For me to join such a great club, have amazing fans and try to bring success to them will be a dream come true.”

Did he get Dirk to write that lot for him?  :D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 02, 2013, 08:10:31 PM »
I'd love to know if this was a written press release from his agent.

It sounds like it - because I cannot imagine him delivering this PR bu.llsh.it nonsense in an audio interview.

but the bit that had me laughing was:

“The manager said he sees me here for a long time - and I also see myself here for a long time too.......I've not signed here to play for a couple of years and then move on. I've signed to be here for as long as possible."

Rodgers will be out on his ear, 6 months min, 12 months max.  How Rodgers can speak of Sturridge being at the club for a lifetime, is beyond any sane person......especially given the crappy quality of the players Rodgers has already brought to the club (and who cannot get a game).

There is a very good reason why Chelsea are selling the lad.  And there is a very good reason why no other top club is interested in him.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 02, 2013, 08:36:23 PM »
There is a very good reason why Chelsea are selling the lad.  And there is a very good reason why no other top club is interested in him.

I wonder how much Chelsea asked for and where our opening bid fell. This seems better value than the Borini transfer. We'll see going forward. If it takes some pressure off Suarez then all the better.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 02, 2013, 08:59:44 PM »
We'll see going forward.

oh no, Gurdeep, barticus, Ed, stand back.

Tes, I am utterly depressed to say, has been infected (by the GOING FORWARD virus).  He is now one of them.  For all we know, he may already be talking in a Sean Connery-esque accent.

Stay well back.  The going forward zombies will stop at nothing. 

Stay inside your homes.  Answer the door for nobody.

Arm yourself with crucifixes, facts, humility, brevity, and goal-scoring data.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 02, 2013, 09:37:53 PM »

oh no, Gurdeep, barticus, Ed, stand back.

Tes, I am utterly depressed to say, has been infected (by the GOING FORWARD virus).  He is now one of them.  For all we know, he may already be talking in a Sean Connery-esque accent.

Stay well back.  The going forward zombies will stop at nothing. 

Stay inside your homes.  Answer the door for nobody.

Arm yourself with crucifixes, facts, humility, brevity, and goal-scoring data.

Only time is guaranteed to go forward. Are we? If I knew the answer we'd all share in a lottery win every week.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 02, 2013, 09:41:45 PM »
Joe Cole: West Ham set to sign Liverpool midfielder

Liverpool midfielder Joe Cole is set to join former club West Ham United on a permanent deal.

The 31-year-old is understood to have travelled to London for a medical with Sam Allardyce's Hammers after Liverpool accepted an offer for the player.

However, should the deal fall through, Queens Park Rangers are also interested in the player.

Cole has struggled to impress at Anfield following a free transfer move from Chelsea in 2010.

The former England international spent last season on loan at French club Lille.

Any move to West Ham would have to be made permanent because the London club already have striker Andy Carroll on loan from Liverpool.

Cole, though, would be available on a free transfer as Liverpool are prepared to cancel his contract and negotiate a settlement.

The player came through the youth ranks at Upton Park before moving to Chelsea for £6.6m in 2003.

He won three Premier League titles and two FA Cups in a seven-year stay with the Blues.

After failing to agree a new contract he moved to Merseyside but he has not been able to enjoy the same impact and has made just six substitute appearances this season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20893195

This alone renders this window a success.  ;D I wonder how much the 'undisclosed fee' will cost us.  ::)