January 23, 2021, 04:44:39 AM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 75660 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #330 on: January 11, 2013, 08:18:12 PM »
what was it out great leader said only yesterday.....ah yes, "it might be sexy to look in Spain"   but there are better lads to be had at home....likes of downing, henderson and suchlike.  And so much cheaper too. 

and our great leader also added, that he has enhanced the careers of the once underachievers of previous regimes.

downing was about to be sold, and then brendan sprinkled his magic dust

enrique was off form, and then along came our great leader to reinvigorate the lad.

liverpool was a club going nowhere fast til Sir Brendan arrived and took us into freefall.   Brendan's new movie should be called SkyFall....with him as 007.

if he had only arrived earlier, he might also have saved Torres from the scrapheap.

and with his magic hands, and the healing power of worship, I suspect long term injuries would also have been a thing of the past.

The scary thing about that quote about improving people is that i thought you were joking Dude...and then i saw it was real...reality has become farcical indeed...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 11, 2013, 09:14:50 PM »
I guess if scoring a goal and having an assist, where the total score in both columns was previously zero, then I guess Downing has improved, but it should hardly be enough to save his career with us.

Enrique showed his class when he first arrived, so it was more a case of regaining fitness and form than showing something previously unseen.

Downing's hardly turned into vintage Giggs.

I guess every glimmer of light, however small, should be welcomed, just not over played. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 11, 2013, 10:38:22 PM »
The scary thing about that quote about improving people is that i thought you were joking Dude...and then i saw it was real...reality has become farcical indeed...

'Being Liverpool', is going to be the new sign to replace 'This is Anfield'.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 11, 2013, 10:43:04 PM »
Torres keeps telling his team-mates he'd rather be back at Liverpool and the old guard are fuming... the inside story on how the sun is setting on the era at Chelsea

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2260472/Fernando-Torres-Chelsea-crisis--striker-tells-team-mates-wants-Liverpool-return.html

Sorry old son, you chose to make your bed with a Chelsea duvet. Lying on a bed of roubles can be b!tch. You takes the money, you takes your choice. You took and you chose. Wrong decision. Tough.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 12, 2013, 06:37:56 PM »

:D   yes Barticus, one literally could not make this stuff up.  Rodger's ego knows no bounds.  We are lucky to be in the presence of genius.  Sitting at the feet of this 39 year old bloke, who has spent only two seasons in the premiership, at mid-table level, is like sitting at the feet of Bob Paisley or Jock Stein.   ;D

here are his words from earlier this week.

Omni-present, his holiness, the one and only, Emperor Rodgers, who faces Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday, said: "It is all about the materials. I am not a magician.

I will be able to improve players – that is my work and I have confidence in that.

If I look at the first six months, I believe there has been improvement in a lot of the players.

I will be able to rinse everything that I possibly can out of them, but the bottom line is about talent. If you don't initially have that then it can be difficult. That is also why I was brought in here, because we will get talents and we will try to maximise what we can out of players.

You look at Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing and José Enrique since the start of the season and we have added value back to them. Absolutely. That is the job of the manager and the coach, as well as winning games.

My job is to improve players in every aspect of their game and that is something we will look to do because we don't have the resources of the top clubs who are out there paying big money. We won't have that. So we have to find the difference through coaching."
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:47:59 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 12, 2013, 06:46:36 PM »
Omni-present, his holiness, the one and only, Emperor Rodgers, who faces Manchester United at Old Trafford on Sunday, said: "It is all about the materials. I am not a magician.

I will be able to improve players – that is my work and I have confidence in that. If I look at the first six months, I believe there has been improvement in a lot of the players.

I will be able to rinse everything that I possibly can out of them, but the bottom line is about talent. If you don't initially have that then it can be difficult.

That is also why I was brought in here, because we will get talents and we will try to maximise what we can out of players.

You look at Jordan Henderson, Stewart Downing and José Enrique since the start of the season and we have added value back to them. Absolutely.

That is the job of the manager and the coach, as well as winning games. My job is to improve players in every aspect of their game and that is something we will look to do because we don't have the resources of the top clubs who are out there paying big money. We won't have that. So we have to find the difference through coaching."

so essentially Emperor Rodgers has been to the mountain top.  He has seen the promised land.

he is a genius, but his magical powers do have their limitations.  He is humble enough to acknowledge that he is not God.  but he has already turned around the careers of non-believers, like Downing, Henderson and Enrique.  We may have to wait a little while longer on his magic dust working on Sahin, Shelvey, Allen and Borini.  Carroll is a lost cause, and Sturridge may also prove to be the same.

to get to the promised land, Emperor Rodgers will be our facilitator.  He knows the route we have to take.  It will be difficult ,with many barriers in our way.  There will be thorns.  It will be treacherous.  But with time and faith, we will get there under his guidance.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 12, 2013, 06:50:18 PM »
'Being Liverpool', is going to be the new sign to replace 'This is Anfield'.

why waste time and resources with such an intermediary sign.

let's cut to the chase and replace This is Anfield, with

Being Brendan

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 12, 2013, 07:00:12 PM »
Sahin, Shelvey, Allen and Borini.  Carroll is a lost cause, and Sturridge may also prove to be the same.
Sahin's left for Dortmund!

I agree though it did seem an odd quote. Enrique
and Downing have shown what they can do prior
to this season and Henderson is into his 2nd season
(there's an expectation of natural progression and
improvement at that age)

I'm reminded of someone asking Jock Stein about his
European cup triumph in which he steadfastly refused
to take any credit, putting it all on the players. Some
managers are so good they don't feel the need to talk
about it.

Anyway tomorrow we walk in the valley of the shadow
of darkness so here's hoping we tear into them like hyenas  :)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 12, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »
why waste time and resources with such an intermediary sign.

let's cut to the chase and replace This is Anfield, with

Being Brendan

Enough already, really mate. We all know your stance so why persist? It's just boring and tedious and most disappointing of all, I know you're soooo much better than that.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 12, 2013, 09:53:57 PM »
I know you're soooo much better than that.

He really isn't.  :D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 13, 2013, 12:28:08 AM »
I know you're soooo much better than that.

I think you've misread me, Mister Bond  (evil laughter)

:D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 13, 2013, 12:49:12 AM »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 13, 2013, 01:09:53 AM »
Sahin's left for Dortmund!

I agree though it did seem an odd quote. Enrique
and Downing have shown what they can do prior
to this season and Henderson is into his 2nd season
(there's an expectation of natural progression and
improvement at that age)

I'm reminded of someone asking Jock Stein about his
European cup triumph in which he steadfastly refused
to take any credit, putting it all on the players. Some
managers are so good they don't feel the need to talk
about it.

Anyway tomorrow we walk in the valley of the shadow
of darkness so here's hoping we tear into them like hyenas  :)

and then, should we ever lead, get smart like the lion....and draw them out.  We struggle because of our very limited tactics.

great to hear Sahin found a good place to go, to play his football.  I cannot understand why he struggled with us.

agreed re Jock Stein.  But then again genuinely smart decent people tend to do their talking on the pitch.   

as people, it is always for others to judge us (not we ourselves, to blow our own trumpets about our humility and abilities, etc).

But i will add one small disclaimer - yes, people like Shankly and Ali blew their own trumpets - but they were playing a far higher intellectual game (not like what we see from the OLearys and Rodgers of this world). 

In another era, Shankly could have been a politician or a leader within a movement. 

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 13, 2013, 01:57:47 AM »
and then, should we ever lead, get smart like the lion....and draw them out.  We struggle because of our very limited tactics.

great to hear Sahin found a good place to go, to play his football.  I cannot understand why he struggled with us.

agreed re Jock Stein.  But then again genuinely smart decent people tend to do their talking on the pitch.   
Losing is unthinkable, but they're under pressure themselves
at the top if the other result favours City. Fergie'll settle for a draw
(pragmatist). Here's hoping someone steps up for us and claims all 3,
preferably a hotly debated peno in the 96th minute.

Dunno if he ever got a good run in the team (his wages
were 90 grand, I think). All of a sudden the options in
midfield look weak again, which is a worry.

Aye, Busby, Shanks and Stein.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 13, 2013, 09:51:17 AM »
Is it just me or is the timing of Gerrard's criticism of the youth policy with the surfacing rumours we've tabled a bid for Sneijder a mere coincidence?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.