January 24, 2021, 12:53:40 PM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 75769 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #345 on: January 13, 2013, 04:13:44 PM »
our owners seem to be making it up as they go along.

for the past 18 months, the story is that they want to curb our large wage bill....and focus on bringing in young (read that as, cheap) players.....thus we see the likes of Kuyt being sold for peanuts.

but now today, the papers are reporting that we are keen on Inter's Wesley Sneijder.

the bloke is 28 years old, and depending on what journalist you listen to, earns between 170,000 and 220,000 pounds per week.

bizarre senior management transfer policy.  They are making it up as they go along.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 13, 2013, 07:37:57 PM »
Ah, that record where have I heard it before? :-*
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 13, 2013, 08:31:45 PM »
Is it just me or is the timing of Gerrard's criticism of the youth policy with the surfacing rumours we've tabled a bid for Sneijder a mere coincidence?

I think it's a Rodgers inspired ploy to try and get our owners to understand that experienced players have a 'value' also and it's not just about re-sale value or the ability to make a profit on a player.
Afterall, if your buy proves a success, why would you want to sell that player unless he can either be improved upon (hard to do if the purchase is the right one) or he's just started down the slope of decline, nearing the end of his career.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 13, 2013, 08:32:30 PM »
Ah, that record where have I heard it before? :-*

Desert Island Discs?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 13, 2013, 10:41:44 PM »
speaking of Desert Island Disks.

in case anyone is interested, there are zillions of episodes to download here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/find-a-castaway#/page/1

I have been downloading and listening to scores of shows in recent weeks.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 14, 2013, 09:22:46 PM »
speaking of Desert Island Disks.

in case anyone is interested, there are zillions of episodes to download here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/find-a-castaway#/page/1

I have been downloading and listening to scores of shows in recent weeks.

It was an amazingly simple idea for a show, but it's longevity showed how successful Roy Plumley's idea was.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 14, 2013, 11:14:45 PM »
It was an amazingly simple idea for a show, but it's longevity showed how successful Roy Plumley's idea was.

yes. simple ideas are usually the best.

I think that Roy Plumley's estate still holds the rights to the name/show.

IIRC the BBC has to pay royalties to use the format.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 14, 2013, 11:40:33 PM »
Is it just me or is the timing of Gerrard's criticism of the youth policy with the surfacing rumours we've tabled a bid for Sneijder a mere coincidence?

I think it's a Rodgers inspired ploy to try and get our owners to understand that experienced players have a 'value' also and it's not just about re-sale value or the ability to make a profit on a player.
Afterall, if your buy proves a success, why would you want to sell that player unless he can either be improved upon (hard to do if the purchase is the right one) or he's just started down the slope of decline, nearing the end of his career.

Brendan Rodgers: Liverpool FC are no soft touch but could benefit from more experience

By Ian Doyle  Jan 14 2013

BRENDAN RODGERS has dismissed criticism Liverpool FC have become a soft touch – but admitted his team would benefit from more experience.

Fingers were pointed at the Anfield outfit after the dismal first-half performance in their 2-1 defeat at Manchester United on Sunday.

Liverpool were accused of being overly respectful to the Premier League leaders with the game lacking the usual bite in midfield until the visitors had fallen two goals behind.

And while Rodgers does not have any problems with his team’s tenacity, he accepts the need for more stronger, seasoned personalities to aid the likes of Raheem Sterling and Andre Wisdom.

Asked if his players were too nice, the Liverpool manager responded: “Not really. When you play a more technical game, that will always be cast at you.

“We could easily get all the back four up to the halfway line and get Pepe (Reina) to smash it up the pitch and play fighting football and then it looks like you are aggressive and fighting.

“We have enough people who can put their foot in and press the ball and in the modern game it is very difficult to do that anyway. The tackles you used to do years ago you cannot get away with.

“We have enough physicality in the team but we need a few more players who are experienced.

“The biggest thing is experience. If you look at United’s bench on Sunday and then you look at ours, then that is the gap in our squad.

“We have to improve on that, I think we will do that but it will take a few more windows and then we will be ready to compete, for sure.”

Rodgers, who has taken Norway international Vegard Forren on trial, added: “We have got Steven Gerrard, who is one of the best examples of that in the country in the last 10 years or so.

“We have got that aggression in there. It is not about what size you are, it is about the aggression you have inside you and in the second half the ability to fight was much better.

“Aggression isn’t about having a 6ft 3ins player in the middle of the field who is going to drive you forward, aggression is in the mind.

“You could see in the second half that we were much more aggressive in our play and attitude in the game and we should have got something.”

Liverpool have now lost 10 of their last 11 visits to Old Trafford while their record against the top five – United, City, Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea – since the start of last season has seen them win only three of 16 games.

And Stewart Downing admitted Rodgers’ men were disappointed at their failure to get among the United players during their tentative opening 45 minutes.

“We paid them too much respect in the first half,” said Downing. “We let them pass it around and we sat back.

“That was the first thing the manager said to us at half-time: he told us we had to go and get in among them. He told us we had to press them and test them.

“Even though they are good players, if you put them under pressure they can struggle. We certainly did that in the second half. That is why we were so disappointed in the dressing room.

“The encouraging things are the way we are passing and moving. That is good. But it was disappointing that we sat off them.”

Meanwhile, in-demand Molde central defender Forren will train at Melwood for the rest of the week.

The 24-year-old broke into the Norway national team this season where he partners Fulham’s Brede Hangeland.

Everton were among several other clubs to have watched the defender, who has attracted previous interest from AC Milan, Newcastle United and Bundesliga side Hoffenheim.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/sport/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2013/01/14/99623-32599119/

I've read that both Manc clubs were interested in Forren too.

Could be a minor coup getting him. Though that may look like Coates is not in Rodgers' long term plans.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 15, 2013, 01:30:56 PM »
Forren trail cancelled as Southampton have swooped in ahead of us:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21028507

You just can't trust forreners.  :D

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 15, 2013, 02:03:20 PM »
Gazumped by...Milan? Barca? Manure? Arsenal? etc? ....by Southampton...

*sobs*

when will this misery end?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 15, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »
It doesn't seem like we were too serious. Asking a 24 year old to come for a trial does seem 'unconventional' though.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 15, 2013, 03:26:38 PM »
QPR looking at getting M'Vila, whilst we are looking: at our navals / clueless / uber clever waiting for the 'right deal' / small time / up at the stars twinkling in the night sky (delete as appropriate).

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 15, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »
Gazumped by...Milan? Barca? Manure? Arsenal? etc? ....by Southampton...

*sobs*

when will this misery end?

fear not, Big Sam will transform Anfield next season.

nothing but the best for Werner and John Henry.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: January 15, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »
QPR looking at getting M'Vila, whilst we are looking: at our navals / clueless / uber clever waiting for the 'right deal' / small time / up at the stars twinkling in the night sky (delete as appropriate).

twas a lovely starry night here last night.....awesome.

as an uber clever club, I think we will wait til the end of the January window before selling our keeper.....and then smartly spend the next 5 months researching who to replace him with come the summer window.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: January 15, 2013, 04:45:26 PM »
You just can't trust forreners.  :D

........It doesn't seem like we were too serious. Asking a 24 year old to come for a trial does seem 'unconventional' though.

maybe the expensive andy carroll,Alberto Aquilani and joe cole episodes have stung the club.

even messi would have to have a trial were he to venture towards Melwood.

it's cutting edge recruitment policy.....to be sure, to be sure, to be sure