January 16, 2021, 04:45:17 AM

Author Topic: January Transfer Window  (Read 75114 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: January Transfer Window
« Reply #360 on: January 16, 2013, 03:07:50 PM »
Ian Ayre Exclusive: Why Liverpool FC's youth policy is the right way forward

by James Pearce   Jan 16 2013

IAN AYRE insists Liverpool FC’s transfer strategy won’t prevent manager Brendan Rodgers from adding experience to his squad.

The Reds operate a policy with the emphasis on signing players under the age of 24 - but the managing director says it’s not “set in stone” and exceptions will be made.

Owners Fenway Sports Group (FSG) want to invest in youth to build for the long-term and that is reflected in the business which has been done since Rodgers was appointed last summer.

Fabio Borini (21), Joe Allen (22), Samed Yesil (18) and Daniel Sturridge (23) all fit that profile.

Loan signing Nuri Sahin, whose stay was cut short last week, is 23 and the oldest player to have been brought in was Oussama Assaidi, who celebrated his 24th birthday two days before his arrival.

Skipper Steven Gerrard has questioned the wisdom of turning your back on more senior professionals – citing the example of former Scotland midfielder Gary McAllister, who made a big impact at Anfield after joining on a free transfer at the age of 35 in 2000.

Ayre believes the Reds are right to focus their attention on emerging talent but stresses players over 24 are not off limits.

Ayre told the Echo: “If you remember back to the sale of the club, John Henry said we want to win but we don’t just want to win once, we want to build something which keeps winning.

“If we’re going to do that then we need to do it from the ground up with young players, so that when you start winning you have still got the majority of that group to keep contributing over a period of time.

1   “It’s not a policy which is set in stone but it’s an aspiration. If we feel there’s a particular position or player who can contribute to the group and is over that sort of age limit, it doesn’t mean we won’t consider that player.

“As everyone saw in the summer we renewed deals with many of our senior player. So experience is vital and we will consider more experienced players where it makes sense. 

“But where a player is younger and talented with the right level of ability, we will always go for the younger option because it’s a better long term investment for the club to have someone who will be here a long time hopefully.”

At the end of the summer transfer window FSG refused to meet Fulham’s £6million valuation of 29-year-old Clint Dempsey due to his age and lack of resale value. The American international ended up signing for Tottenham.

With Andy Carroll having already departed on a season-long loan to West Ham, Rodgers was left desperately short of firepower for the first half of the campaign.

That gaping hole in the squad was belatedly filled with the £12million signing of striker Daniel Sturridge from Chelsea earlier this month.

Ayre, who is responsible for conducting transfer negotiations, has no regrets about the Reds’ inactivity on deadline day last August.

“The issue then came down to a particular deal and a particular price or structure to that deal. It wasn’t right to do it,” he said.

“Likewise the interest in certain other players wasn’t right. Sometimes you have to be stronger for the greater good.

“People may feel they want to criticise the fact we didn’t have an additional striker. But at what price would you sacrifice spending for something that is not in the long term interests of the club versus what we just did, which was getting a great price on a great player in Daniel Sturridge?

“If we had spent that money in the summer then we wouldn’t have done that trade recently.

“It may have left us short, but the pieces just did not come together. We’ve come through that period now. I still feel it was the right decision.”

The contribution of Robin van Persie for Manchester United this term has highlighted the instant benefits of buying someone at the peak of his powers.

The 29-year-old Dutchman has already plundered 21 goals following his £24million move from Arsenal.

At the end of his four-year contract his value will be minimal but by then he’s likely to have repaid that fee several times over.

“Absolutely, but if you look at the United team they have a very established group and have added a very experienced player to that,” Ayre added.

“What we are doing is that we are building something. But if the right more senior player became available and was the right person to contribute - and the manager made that point strongly - 2  we would definitely consider it.”

The danger with building for the long-term is that Liverpool’s established players who crave a return to the Champions League could become impatient and consider their futures.

With the likes of Luis Suarez, Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel having all penned new deals in the past six months, Ayre is confident that won’t happen.

However, the Reds’ MD admits that as a club they must continue to convince them that they can achieve their ambitions by staying at Anfield.

“Of course we have to progress to be able to hang on to our world class talent,” added Ayre. “But we wouldn’t be doing it if we didn’t think we would progress.

“You need to have a mix in your squad and we have probably got the best balance in terms of any team in the league.

“Our two most senior players have spent their whole careers at this football club. At the lower end we have a bunch of five or six very young players who have come through our Academy process and are now contributing for the first team.

“Then in the middle of that we’ve got world class international players like Luis Suarez, Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel, Glen Johnson, Pepe Reina and Lucas Leiva etc. That’s the right mix I think.

“We’ve got people who understand what this club really means and have enjoyed success here. We’ve got young players breaking through, learning and getting experience from them.

“Then we’ve got international players like Luis Suarez who could be playing anywhere in the world – but he’s playing at Liverpool FC.

“We will continue to add to the group and improve it. Daniel Sturridge signed recently and has made an immediate impact.

“We may or may not add to that further before the end of January. That’s something we’re still working on and considering. 3  We will only buy when the right deal is there at the right time.”  
PART TWO: See Ian Ayre's thoughts on Financial Fair Play, player contracts, the stadium, the season so far - only in tomorrow's ECHO

Unmissable!!!  ;D

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2013/01/16/ian-ayre-exclusive-why-liverpool-fc-s-youth-policy-is-the-right-way-forward-100252-32608698/

1. So whilst there's not a definative ban on buying players over 24 y.o as they will be considered, who is going to do the considering, as no-one in the administration is in the least bit qualified to be able to bring an informed judgement to the party, and it seems that signing experience is about extending contracts of players over 24.

2. Wow - just consider it strongly - and who would be doig the 'considering' - second thoughts the answer
is too depressing.

3. How does Allen for £15M and Borini for circa £10M+ fit that description?

Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 16, 2013, 06:24:34 PM »
if I was the owner, I'd stop my horse for a minute, spit my tobacco to the ground, look back at Ayres and Rodgers and say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt87mXL_ftg
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 17, 2013, 12:11:51 AM »
if I was the owner, I'd stop my horse for a minute, spit my tobacco to the ground, look back at Ayres and Rodgers and say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt87mXL_ftg

All we need is a riff and a chorus putting to it.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 17, 2013, 01:51:26 PM »
From: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2263807/Liverpool-offer-players-lower-basic-salaries-performance-related-bonuses.html

Liverpool will give new players performance-related contracts, signalling the end of stars coming into Anfield on huge wages.

If this is true then I applaud whoever decided it. If players don't sign for us because of it, then even better.
If they're not prepared to 'earn' their money or don't think they are being paid enough (without being willing to earn it), we don't want you.

Gone are the days when players can come in on much higher salaries than they were on at their previous club, think they've 'made it' and no longer need to work as hard and then 'coast' through their contract.

If this is implemented properly, then I think other clubs will follow.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 17, 2013, 02:30:48 PM »
MODIBO DIAKITE WAITS FOR LIVERPOOL’S NEXT MOVE

By Charles Perrin  January 17 2013

LIVERPOOL target Modibo Diakite is waiting for the Barclays Premier League club to make a move for him.

Diakite has decided not to sign a contract extension with Lazio, and besides Liverpool, has been linked with a move to fellow Serie A giants Inter Milan.

Brendan Rodgers is keen to beef up his options at the back, with retirement on the horizon for veteran defender Jamie Carragher.

Moreover, Liverpool’s rearguard has been porous, conceding 28 goals in the Premier League this season.

Italian football site Forza Italian Football reports that despite Lazio president Claudio Lotito proposing a salary increase from £625,000 a year to £659,000 plus bonuses, Diakite is not interested and he is adamant that he wants to leave.

Diakite is a free agent as of the summer. He has been at Lazio since August 2006.

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/371458

We could pay him £15K a week (a mere £780k p.a) + bonuses and still give him a nice payrise. Just shows how hyper-inflated salaries are in the PL, no wonder we're looking to cut our payroll.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 17, 2013, 08:19:24 PM »
Now we're even being made to look foolish by FSG's own media outlet:

Ian Ayre Says Liverpool Can Attract and Retain World’s Best Soccer Players

based on: "Can Liverpool still attract the best? Absolutely. Not only attract the best there is but also retain the best there is. Look at the commitment shown by the likes of [Luis] Suarez, [Daniel] Agger, [Martin] Skrtel and [Raheem] Sterling, who have all signed new deals.

We remain a world class club and a world class attraction to players. I read that Daniel Sturridge said he has joined the biggest club in the Premier League — that says it all. Here’s a player who has played for Chelsea and Manchester City. He had seen the size, the power of this club and what it means after just a few days in the place.
"

http://nesn.com/2013/01/ian-ayre-says-liverpool-can-attract-and-retain-worlds-best-soccer-players/

Even I couldn't stretch Ayres' words to that extent and I'd be wanting to batter him with them.

Yet again, FSG, need to recruit the right people for that shody website. Starting with some Brits who actually 'know and understand' football, not some muppet who developed a 'love of soccer' by reading about it on wikipaedia, and preferably someone who understands English, English English that is.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 17, 2013, 10:48:49 PM »
Sebastian go? Liverpool defender Coates is wanted on loan by West Brom

By Alan Nixon  17 January 2013

West Brom boss Steve Clarke wants to rescue Liverpool’s flop defender Sebastian Coates.

Clarke worked with the centre-back when he came to Anfield in a ­big-money buy and thinks he can resurrect his career.

He hopes to do a deal with his old club in the next 48 hours and sign Coates on loan with a view to a full-time signing if he proves himself at the Baggies.

Coates played the full 90 minutes of Liverpool's draw with Manchester City in August, but has seen just 49 minutes of Premier League action since.

Brendan Rodgers has instead used him in the League Cup and Europa League.

Clarke knows he has big interest in central defender Jonas Olsson from QPR.

However, West Brom hope to sign Coates and will then let England Under-21 international Craig Dawson out on loan, with Bolton heading the queue for his signature.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-sebastian-coates-is-a-west-1542425

No problem with him going out on loan as long as there's no purchase clause. If he gets first team football and flops, then maybe let him go, but if he proves himself on loan, then we want him back here.
Also, we'd need to get a replacement in, even if he was just going on loan.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 18, 2013, 06:58:00 AM »
Sebastian go? Liverpool defender Coates is wanted on loan by West Brom

By Alan Nixon  17 January 2013

West Brom boss Steve Clarke wants to rescue Liverpool’s flop defender Sebastian Coates.

Clarke worked with the centre-back when he came to Anfield in a ­big-money buy and thinks he can resurrect his career.

He hopes to do a deal with his old club in the next 48 hours and sign Coates on loan with a view to a full-time signing if he proves himself at the Baggies.

Coates played the full 90 minutes of Liverpool's draw with Manchester City in August, but has seen just 49 minutes of Premier League action since.

Brendan Rodgers has instead used him in the League Cup and Europa League.

Clarke knows he has big interest in central defender Jonas Olsson from QPR.

However, West Brom hope to sign Coates and will then let England Under-21 international Craig Dawson out on loan, with Bolton heading the queue for his signature.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-sebastian-coates-is-a-west-1542425

No problem with him going out on loan as long as there's no purchase clause. If he gets first team football and flops, then maybe let him go, but if he proves himself on loan, then we want him back here.
Also, we'd need to get a replacement in, even if he was just going on loan.

No wonder Clarke wants him.
Really can't see us getting a replacement Tes, that would be far too sensible...
We'll let him go on loan with some bloody awful purchase clause for 3 mil. He'll play like Maldini for the rest of the season and look like a 30 million pound player.

I'm making this up as i go along but with the new Liverpool Football Club even P.G. Woodhouse couldn't come up with the farce that we've become.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 18, 2013, 10:53:20 AM »
we need scouts and a manager that can actually spot a top player, and make top use of his qualities.

It was only ten days ago when Brent was telling the world, that his job was to wring every last piece of skill and talent out of players.  I get the clear feeling that he would struggle to wring talent out of even the best players in the world.  e.g. Messi.  Indeed, I am not even sure that he would identify their best skills and best position.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 18, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »
It was only ten days ago when Brent was telling the world, that his job was to wring every last piece of skill and talent out of players. 

Yeah that's an interesting one...if it's his job to wring every last piece of skill and talent out of players....and he can't seem to do it with Maxi, Aquilani, Kuyt, Bellamy, Carroll, Sahin, Spearing, Coates, Adam, Yesil, Cole, Pacheco, Wilson and Morgan...14 players!!!!! then can i act as devil's advocate and say maybe he isn't doing his job?   

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 18, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
can i act as devil's advocate and say maybe he isn't doing his job?

maybe he's simply a sh.ite manager that's all PR and no substance.

*puts on tin hat and runs for bunker*

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 19, 2013, 02:26:06 PM »
“I was given a job at one of the biggest clubs in the world,” David Brent said. “That is never always going to be easy but the owners have been brilliant. They have given me some money to spend and we have brought in young players. There is no doubt they want to look at young players, those who can develop for the next seven to 10 years. But I think it is healthy not to agree. I have not got to where I am at such a young age by saying yes all the time."

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 19, 2013, 02:37:21 PM »
Experienced players

Brent reckons:  “There are certain times when you need that experience. Look at Van Persie. You bring him in at 29 and there is absolutely no question that he reinvigorates Ryan Giggs, Rio Ferdinand and Paul Scholes. He also gives the young players something too. If we bring in an experienced player of the right quality and the right sort, there is absolutely no question it gives Steven Gerrard a boost that he needs.”

I hadn't realised it was important to have a good balance of age.  You know what, we could do worse than sign that lad Dirk Kuyt.   He's on fire this season with Fenerbahçe - 6 goals in 16 games.  3 or 4 million quid should be enough to pick him up.......and he's on only 2.85 million euros salary - which is some 47,000 pounds per week. 

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 20, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »
6 goal in 16 games is someone who's on fire? in a league which is much lower in quality than the premier league. Ok

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 20, 2013, 09:10:59 PM »
ssssh, just  to fill you in (keep it to yourself, mind).  But this striker has also played for the number one ranked team in Europe, and scored in a Champions League final, and played in a World Cup final.

Superb abilities, will run through walls all day for the team, and great attitude and temperament.