5 (71.4%)
Offer him £25K with huge appearance, goal, assist bonuses
2 (28.6%)
Cash in if we get a top offer
0 (0%)
Other - please explain what
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Sterling's contract situation  (Read 4006 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Sterling's contract situation
« on: December 02, 2012, 10:42:29 PM »
His contract runs until 2014 but it's not a pro contract, which he can't sign until 8th Dec when he's 18. Although he's a regular so far with the season only a third of the way through, does he warrent such a large pay deal of £50K based on a third of a season?
If we had a stronger squad, would he have made the breakthrough in the way he has or is the paucity of the squad the reason he's played so often rather than his current level of talent?

He's got undoubted talent with lots of potential, but what is his true value? The lack of alternatives, the general weakness of the squad and his age are possibly distorting the true position within the squad, or is he simply that good he would have made it anyway, and therefore he is a more valuable player than the other 17, 18, 19 year olds we have, Suso, Wisdom etc?

Are all the factors irrelevant and we have to pay because he is a first team regular, who's even had an England call up, political or not? 

If you vote 'other', please explain what you would do that's different to the few choices offered.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sterling's contract situation
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 11:34:50 PM »
Jesus 15-20 is it.

50k to a kid with just over a dozen games.

If he's looking for that he's a prima donna of the
highest order and the quicker we offload him the better.

Either he's serious about his football or not.

I remember a story about Giggs going into AF after
around 20 games and suggesting he deserved a
club car. He was told to get out of the office that he
wouldn't be getting a club bike!  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »
Jesus 15-20 is it.

50k to a kid with just over a dozen games.

If he's looking for that he's a prima donna of the
highest order and the quicker we offload him the better.

Either he's serious about his football or not.

I remember a story about Giggs going into AF after
around 20 games and suggesting he deserved a
club car. He was told to get out of the office that he
wouldn't be getting a club bike!  ;D

We're caught in a tough spot potentially. Firstly, we mustn't overpay as it's about the worse way of handling a young player there is. They think they've 'made it' and lose the desire to learn and keep constantly improving.
However, if we lose him, what message does it send out, do we want to be seen as 'selling club' and how much would it cost us to bring in a replacement with the same potential?

His age can can be a red herring. Kid of that age with the 'potential' he has, being a first team player at that age can place a distorted 'value' on him. How many goals, assists and chances has he created so far?
How does that compare with, say, someone like Walcott?

If he's serious about his football he'll understand that despite getting some first team experience this is still his first pro contract, he has a lot of time in his career ahead of him yet, and it's only right that he proves himself over a longer period than 4 months. Also, he's getting first team opportunities. Would he get that if he went somewhere else or would he end up in the reserves, U21s or out on loan?

The only worry is that his agent advises him based on what (he) the agent is going to make rather than what is best for his footballing development. I think we have to show we want him, we rate his potential, we seem him as a first team player going forward, but at the same time we shouldn't be held to ransom, otherwise it will be Suso and Wisdom. Suso has only recently signed, I wonder what level of salary he signed up to. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »
15 to 20

the lad (and his adviser) needs his wings clipped.

he has the makings of this era's ryan giggs/john barnes.

but wouldn;t we look like mugs, if we gave him 50 grand a week, only to find that he faded away and was bog standard.

but I knew from dalglish's season, when sterling was pushing in the media to get his first senior games, that we had a difficult customer on our hands.

if I am honest, I don;t think we will be able to hold on to him, beyond the next couple of years.  He will be a star, and demand huge wages and champions league football.  We won;t be offering CL footy any time soon.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 09:14:46 AM »
15-20 and that's being overly generous to be honest. Whatever he can be, he will be at Liverpool. Join the twits down M62 and you may be happy to warm the bench. Fergie's into his 2nd last season me suspects and what comes thereafter he knows little about whereas at Liverpool conditions will be more stable.

If we lose him, we lose him and I would be gutted but he's hardly that experienced or good we should break the bank and upset the wage structure just to please him. I know it's a scarce commodity in modern footy but some good old fashion humility and moderation wouldn't go amiss on his part.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »
15-20k.  If he and his advisors are not happy then get rid!
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 02:23:37 PM »
15-20 and that's being overly generous to be honest.

Martin, I agree and it's why I put it as the very, very top end of we should, at a push, consider, in order to keep him.

I'd prefer he remembered his age, how he arrived at being a regular first teamer, his stats so far, which is something like 1 goal, 2 assists (I think from memory, so that's as unreliable as it gets).

Would we be looking at a player with those stats and getting excited at the thought of going for him? Doubtful, isn't it. So he is what he is. A young lad with huge potential.

If by the age of 21 he's still a first teamer, proving to be invaluable then a leap to £50k would be justified. He's a very young lad with a long time ahead of him in which to repeatedly win the lottery.
At the moment it's about him developing as a player and person. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 02:24:44 PM »
15-20k.  If he and his advisors are not happy then get rid!

Agreed. He should think himself fortunate to be offered that.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:28:38 PM »
He's young and has plenty of suitors. If it's around 35-40k/week just sign him for 5 years. There's no transfer fee involved and we can sell him down the road for a nice fee too. We aren't going to sign anyone like him his age/speed/potential for less than 10-15m given our deal team's history.

Lets get some perspective, yes it sucks that an 18 yr old is making more money than we could ever hope to have, but when you've got Joe Cole sitting on 70-90k, it doesn't seem like such a bad deal does it?

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 06:14:18 PM »
He's young and has plenty of suitors. If it's around 35-40k/week just sign him for 5 years. There's no transfer fee involved and we can sell him down the road for a nice fee too. We aren't going to sign anyone like him his age/speed/potential for less than 10-15m given our deal team's history.

Lets get some perspective, yes it sucks that an 18 yr old is making more money than we could ever hope to have, but when you've got Joe Cole sitting on 70-90k, it doesn't seem like such a bad deal does it?

Agreed...if we stick to 15-20k there's every chance that he (or his agent) would get his head swayed by man citeh, chelsea, etc..35 k shows respect and he knows he'll get the games and he'll take that into account...he might have noticed people like adam johnson who was the next big thing, signed for mega money and sat on a bench...if he and his agents are wise he knows that if he plays a blinder for the next 2 years then by the age of 20 he'll be on 80 k plus...

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 06:58:06 PM »
Lets get some perspective, yes it sucks that an 18 yr old is making more money than we could ever hope to have
& the next starlet will want the same. Suddenly it becomes
about the money rather than games youngsters can get at
LFC.

35 k shows respect
Accepting 15-20k shows respect for LFC imo.

Either the lad values the first team action he's getting alongside the
likes of Lucas, Luis and Stevie and is in it for the long haul or there's
something wrong with him.

The position should be here's a taster, he's a lot to learn and
we're open to re-negotiation when he's proved himself.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »
& the next starlet will want the same. Suddenly it becomes
about the money rather than games youngsters can get at
LFC.
Accepting 15-20k shows respect for LFC imo.

Absolutely agree. Morally we should, but the problem is the modern day footballer has no loyalty, as we have seen with owen, mcmanaman, torres, gerrard (until he saw the burning shirts and realised he still lived amongst), and rooney (till he was offered more to the bemusement of fergie which he still hasnt forgotten)...
modern day footballers are whores and they will go for the bling..
morally we should offer 15-20k and morally we'd still be right as sterling and his agent wandered down the road for 3/4 times as much...we'd still lose the player cos we're being tight...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 08:02:14 PM »

Joe Cole was an established, proven player, proven England International, not a wet behind the ears, still with everything to learn and only selected for England for political reasons. I accept Cole has been a massive failure.

I'm not sure comparing what an 18 year old in the mad world of football is worth with salaries in the real world is a good example of perspective, but I understand what you were trying to say.

Where's the perspective in football when John Terry earns more in a fortnight than Angela Merkel's annual salary?

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 10:09:25 PM »
gerrard (until he saw the burning shirts and realised he still lived amongst)
;D

morally we should offer 15-20k and morally we'd still be right as sterling and his agent wandered down the road for 3/4 times as much...we'd still lose the player cos we're being tight...
Yeah and no doubt that's what his advisers are banking on,
I just look at Lucas Leiva and the character he shows and if
Sterling can't show the same he can walk alone!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 10:12:28 PM »
in my day, you had to clean your own boots and cut the grass, and paint the lines.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.