August 23, 2019, 04:26:49 PM

Author Topic: There's only one Sami Hyypia  (Read 2845 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
There's only one Sami Hyypia
« on: January 18, 2013, 11:42:35 AM »
Sitting in second place in the Bundesliga, with Bayer Leverkusen.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables/_/league/ger.1/german-bundesliga?cc=3888

Way to go, Sami!!

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: There's only one Sami Hyypia
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 02:45:05 PM »
Another massive error not doing what was needed to keep him at the club.  In a few years we'll see Dirk going down the same route as Sami.

At least the wage bill is lower.  >:(
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 02:50:18 PM »
Liverpool FC once put football first and people second.

in the modern era, it is the opposite.

thus we see the likes of Dalglish, Gerrard and Carragher at the head of the queue, for jobs and media glare............whilst we jettison top people like Sami and Dirk.

There is something very rotten at the heart of Liverpool FC.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 03:30:52 PM »
Liverpool FC once put football first and people second.

in the modern era, it is the opposite.

thus we see the likes of Dalglish, Gerrard and Carragher at the head of the queue, for jobs and media glare............whilst we jettison top people like Sami and Dirk.

There is something very rotten at the heart of Liverpool FC.

Those in the seats of power have no idea of the qualities and ethics of the people involved that drove the way the club did it's business, both on and off the pitch.

If the owners want a 'model' to follow and base their actions on, then Bayern wouldn't be a bad place to start. It employs a lot of former players, those with the intelligence to keep the club going in the same way it always has, but most importantly, they bring bring the football knowhow with them and the qualities that were instilled in them by the club as players.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:40:10 PM »
Yes don't let the fact we offered Hyypia another contract that he turned down distract you in your narrative.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »
didn;t we offer him another one year contract.

was it the same money as the previous one year contract that he had signed for the previous season, I wonder.

anyroads, if there had been the motivation to keep Sami, I am sure he would have stayed at Melwood.

instead, we will no doubt make Carragher a really tempting offer to stay, along with a coaching job to follow.

I know who I would have kept at Liverpool (both as a backup central defender and as a future member of the coaching staff).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 10:50:52 PM »
Yes don't let the fact we offered Hyypia another contract that he turned down distract you in your narrative.

As I said, do what was required. Value is not always quantified in cash terms, especially in football.

Have I struct a nerve, Edward? Remind me again, who was manager at the time, and who were we owned by?

So am I to presume you see/saw no value in keeping Hyypia?

So how are we going to arrest the 20 year (your words) decline?

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 06:20:28 PM »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 09:39:50 PM »
The Liverpool of old, and  the one we need to aspire to be again, would still have him here. He would have been given what was required to keep him here as he would have been seen as an important part of the future, a future that was always planned for in the 'now', rather than wait until the future arrives before thinking about it.

Carra's replacement would have been here and ready to receive the baton. Let's hope we're not as slip shod of Gerrard's replacement.

Hopefully, one day, Sami will 'come home', permanently. He embodies everything that this club should get back to being about.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 10:07:14 PM »
what did you expect him to say?

we all have friends in our places of work, that we like, but who are sh.ite at their jobs.

plus (and most importantly) the LAST person you want to ask about football management is a footballer.

players are notoriously thick (even the best ones) when it comes to analysing football.

Yer a good larf tho, I gorra give you that.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »

Bloody 'ell, Cilla. How's o'r Bobby?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 03:12:28 PM »

as per usual, why the attack on me?

Ed posts a link to an interview with Sami, Tes agrees.

and you respond by copying and pasting a quote of mine from another thread to, I presume, attack me.

like why the endless fixation with me?   

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
The Liverpool of old, and  the one we need to aspire to be again, would still have him here. He would have been given what was required to keep him here as he would have been seen as an important part of the future, a future that was always planned for in the 'now', rather than wait until the future arrives before thinking about it.

Carra's replacement would have been here and ready to receive the baton. Let's hope we're not as slip shod of Gerrard's replacement.

Hopefully, one day, Sami will 'come home', permanently. He embodies everything that this club should get back to being about.

yes, Sami should never have been allowed to leave the club. 

in our dominant years, football came first, and we appointed the best. 

In our melancholy and sycophant years, we worship false Gods, and pay scant regard to what we are about - excelling at football.  I always knew Carra would get a role in the coaching side of things.  And I have to admit, that I do not imagine he will be up to much.  Maybe, in years to come, he might become boss of a Darlington, or maybe even as high as a Bolton type club.  He's up there with Sammy Lee  imho

But Sami has undoubted potential.  The club should have identified that, and acted accordingly.

Admittedly, it might have been very hard to hold unto him, if he was ambitious for immediate club management possibilities.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 09:04:59 PM »
yes, Sami should never have been allowed to leave the club. 

in our dominant years, football came first, and we appointed the best. 

In our melancholy and sycophant years, we worship false Gods, and pay scant regard to what we are about - excelling at football.  I always knew Carra would get a role in the coaching side of things.  And I have to admit, that I do not imagine he will be up to much.  Maybe, in years to come, he might become boss of a Darlington, or maybe even as high as a Bolton type club.  He's up there with Sammy Lee  imho

But Sami has undoubted potential.  The club should have identified that, and acted accordingly.

Admittedly, it might have been very hard to hold unto him, if he was ambitious for immediate club management possibilities.

I think it shows exactly why we've found ourselves where we have. It's become so much about this year's profit and loss that we've lost sight of the idea of investment. Maybe Sami wouldn't have earned his salary in a way an accountant would have approved of over the length of a further two year contract, but that investment would have been targetted at a far longer term than 2 years.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 10:31:34 PM »
I think it shows exactly why we've found ourselves where we have. It's become so much about this year's profit and loss that we've lost sight of the idea of investment. Maybe Sami wouldn't have earned his salary in a way an accountant would have approved of over the length of a further two year contract, but that investment would have been targetted at a far longer term than 2 years.

I agree.

I imagine that if efforts had been made, then a lad like Sami, would never have left.

But then again, I am a major fan of Dirk Kuyt, and everything that he is about.

As a club, we are acting very very stupid.

TBH Once their playing careers were over, Carra and Gerrard would most likely be ambassadors, at best, if I ran the club.