February 27, 2020, 11:29:23 PM

Author Topic: 4th in 7 games - or the eternal sunshine of a selfappointed oracle  (Read 8926 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
It's easy really. These are the upcoming 7 games for ourselves and the rivalring teams. I have included Swansea but not WBA as I think the former will pose a greater threat and finish the season better than the Baggies.

Current table after 23 games:
4. Tottenham 41
5. Everton 38
6. Arsenal 37
7. Liverpool 34
9. Swansea 33

Liverpool
Arsenal (a) 3
Man C (a) 1
WBA (h) 3
Swansea (h) 3
Wigan (a) 1
Tottenham (h) 3
So'ton (a) 3

Tottenham
Norwich (a) 1
WBA (h) 3
Newcastle (h) 3
West Ham (a) 1
Arsenal (h) 0
Liverpool (a) 0
Fulham (h) 1

Bitter Blueshite
WBA (h) 1
Villa (h) 3
Man U (a) 0
Norwich (a) 1
Reading (h) 3
Arsenal (a) 0
Man C (h) 0

Arsenal
Liverpool (h) 0
Stoke (h) 3
Sunderland (a) 1
Villa (h) 3
Tottenham (a) 3
Everton (h) 3
Swansea (a) 1

Swansea
Sunderland (a) 1
West Ham (a) 1
QPR (h) 3
Liverpool (a) 0
Newcastle (h) 3
WBA (a) 1
Arsenal (a) 1

Projected table after 30 games
4. Liverpool 51
5. Arsenal 51
6. Tottenham 50
7. Everton 46
8. Swansea 43

Now lets hear the verdict of the inherently negative darksiders. ;D

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:52:20 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: 4th in 7 games - or the eternal sunshine of a selfappointed oracle
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »
Liverpool

Arsenal (a) 1
Man C (a) 0
WBA (h) 3
Swansea (h) 1
Wigan (a) 3
Tottenham (h) 1
So'ton (a) 3

30 games, 46 points

we'll be sitting in 7th or 8th spot.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »
Liverpool

Arsenal (a) 1
Man C (a) 0
WBA (h) 3
Swansea (h) 1
Wigan (a) 3
Tottenham (h) 1
So'ton (a) 3

30 games, 46 points

we'll be sitting in 7th or 8th spot.

Surely a hardcore critic of Brendan would agree that your more realistic prediction would set us up nicely to finish this season with the highest points tally over the past 4 years?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 03:11:36 PM »
Surely a hardcore critic of Brendan would agree that your more realistic prediction would set us up nicely to finish this season with the highest points tally over the past 4 years?

why do some folks have this expectation that we will suddenly kick-on, with a dramatic change in form, and finish the season well.

we're a mid-table team for good reason.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:56:05 PM »
why do some folks have this expectation that we will suddenly kick-on, with a dramatic change in form, and finish the season well.

Because some of us have a more positive and benign attitude towards the manager and what he and the squad is trying to do? And that we're willing and capable to see progression when it jumps up and bit us in the balls.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 06:09:04 PM »

Keep the faith.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 06:12:11 PM »
Because some of us have a more positive and benign attitude towards the manager and what he and the squad is trying to do?

which is what, exactly?

this question, about Rodgers philosophy and what he is trying to do, has been asked many times in here.  And still, no answer.

Allen and Borini are not up to the level required (huge waste of money).

I have a feeling that Sturridge will fade and this time next year, we will view him poorly.

Our team is light-weight, and lacks experience, so is Continho really our first priority, when it comes to use of our transfer funds.

We need some bite in midfield, before we can start to play.

It sorta feels like we run a YTP at Anfield (Youth Training Programme, lest you are confused, Martin).   Are we such a small club that we are only able to bring in young students, like Rodgers. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 06:13:47 PM »
Keep the faith.

Brent has been to the mountain-top.  He has seen the promised land.

Rejoice.  Hallelluyah, brother!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 08:06:52 PM »
It's easy really. These are the upcoming 7 games for ourselves and the rivalring teams. I have included Swansea but not WBA as I think the former will pose a greater threat and finish the season better than us.

Now lets hear the verdict of the inherently negative darksiders. ;D

Because reality is less than positive it doesn't make a person negative because they face up to it for what it actually is.

Martin, what do you use to get all that sand out of your hair as I'm thinking of booking a beach holiday for the Summer.  :D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 12:19:41 PM »
Because reality is less than positive it doesn't make a person negative because they face up to it for what it actually is.

But a person becomes, IMHO, negative when he/she always put focus on/emphasize  the negative angle of things. For instance, we haven't had one discussion in here on our improving form and consistency over the last 3-4 months or what should constitute as realistic expectations. Instead it is the usual posting of links to youtube, namecalling and declarations that we're crap. I just miss the balance of it all. It ain't all doom and gloom the way I see it and given great results in the two upcoming games we stand a chance to finish this season better than any of Rafa, Hodgson or Kenny came close to in their last season.

We're on the up!  :)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »
But a person becomes, IMHO, negative when he/she always put focus on/emphasize  the negative angle of things. For instance, we haven't had one discussion in here on our improving form and consistency over the last 3-4 months or what should constitute as realistic expectations. Instead it is the usual posting of links to youtube, namecalling and declarations that we're crap. I just miss the balance of it all. It ain't all doom and gloom the way I see it and given great results in the two upcoming games we stand a chance to finish this season better than any of Rafa, Hodgson or Kenny came close to in their last season.

History is always a useful barometer.  It was nearly 19 years ago, to the day, when Graeme Souness was dismissed as Liverpool manager.  The end of January 1994 saw Graeme dismissed after a woeful FA Cup replay defeat at Anfield to lower-division club, Bristol City.

Liverpool chairman at the time said of the decision to sack Souness: "The results have been well below what is expected by the club and it's supporters."

And where were Liverpool sitting in the premiership back then?  Pretty much where we are today, 19 years later.  We finished 8th come May 1994.

So to conclude that we're "on the up" Martin, is pretty bizarre. 

Indeed, when you say that "we stand a chance to finish this season better than any of Rafa, Hodgson or Kenny came close to in their last season,"  you are actually admitting that Rodgers is close to dismissal and only merely stands a chance of not being. 

The type of season we are having, and the setting all these unwanted records, is EXACTLY the same type of season that has previously always resulted in our bosses being handed their P45s.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:34:02 PM by the dude abides »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 03:31:50 PM »

So when reality, that is what something actually is, (not what you want it to be, or you have to interpret and extrapolate to the nth degree to make it positive, or rather not negative, and there's a difference between positive and not negative) is not positive, do you just ignore it, stop thinking and/or talking about it until it changes?

Martin, you say you miss the balance, that everything is negative, that we've had not discussion on what is achievable, I just dispair.
We have had such discussions: http://www.anfieldroad.com/forum/index.php/topic,47147.0.html for starters. You seem to miss or ignore such things and dwell only on the negative posts and posters and then accuse them of being negative and only focusing on the negative, when indeed you are doing the exact same thing with this forum as you accuse people of doing with the team.

Additionally, you're one of the first to post negative comments during and immediately after a match, yet that's OK if you do it, it's not being negative, but when one of the 'usual suspects' does it, then it's negative and 'what else would we expect from them?'

Have you ever stopped to think why you are posting negatively during and just after a match? Probably because what you are seeing at the time is a truer representation than what you then later decide it actually all means.

Increased consistency over 3-4 months. So that includes losing at home to Villa, not turning up at Stoke, our worst FA Cup defeat (by that I mean to a team that is lower than any other we've lost to in more than 50 years). Then there's losing 1-3 at Home to Swansea on 31st October, coming since we beat WBA 2-1 AWAY on September 26th, just before the 4 month date. So our results in the League Cup got worse in your 3-4 month window.

If we go back 4 months - to 29th September:

29/09/2012     Norwich City    Away     W     5-2     
07/10/2012     Stoke City    Home     D     0-0
20/10/2012     Reading                    Home     W     1-0     
28/10/2012     Everton                    Away     D     2-2     
04/11/2012     Newcastle United    Home     D     1-1     
11/11/2012     Chelsea                    Away     D     1-1     
17/11/2012     Wigan Athletic    Home     W     3-0     
25/11/2012     Swansea City    Away     D     0-0          
28/11/2012     Tottenham Hotspur    Away     L     1-2     
01/12/2012     Southampton    Home     W     1-0     
09/12/2012     West Ham United    Away     W     3-2          
15/12/2012     Aston Villa    Home     L     1-3     
22/12/2012     Fulham                    Home     W     4-0     
26/12/2012     Stoke City    Away     L     1-3     
30/12/2012     QPR                    Away     W     3-0     
02/01/2013     Sunderland    Home     W     3-0         
13/01/2013     Manchester United    Away     L     1-2     
19/01/2013     Norwich City    Home     W     5-0

The FA Cup - we managed to beat a non-league team 2-1 away, but then we move up to a Football League team in Division 1, the third tier of Engllish football, who are 1 point above the relegation zone, we lose 3-1.

You talk about upcoming games. That's an if, not reality.

If we had 22 top players, with skill, hunger, pace, strength (both mental and physical) and a top manager who selected the best 11 players and tactics for the team we were playing every week, we'd win the league.
If we had a strong MD and board, the FA and refs wouldn't walk all over us. If we were winning the top trophies on a constant basis we'd have massively increased revenue, add that to our massive 80K stadium that is full for every match and we could be buying the best and most suitable players to make sure we kept winning the top trophies more often than not.

If beating a few teams at home that we should beat if we want to be anything other than a lower mid table team constitutes 'something', I'm not sure I want to know what that 'something' is.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 03:43:32 PM »
So to conclude:

Benitez 7th - sacked
Hodgson -pretty much identical record to Rodgers at the same time in the season - sacked (didn't even make the season's end)
Dalglish 6th - spared because Hodgeson had already been sacked for the first half of the season.
Dalglish 8th - sacked

So it has to be 5th. Dalglish was spared for finishing 6th because Hodgson had been sacked for the first half season's performance, and Dalglish amassed the 2nd best points total in the league in his half season to get us up to 6th.

Does Rodgers have a similar half season to Dalglish in him?

Well there's no domestic league finals, so it's the UEFA Cup or bust, trophy-wise.

Seeing as we haven't qualified for any European football through the league in the last 3 seasons, and the manager blamed for that has been sacked as a result, then progress and improvement has to be defined by finishing 5th, at worst, and qualifying for the EL.

That's not my view, that's what history shows.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »
We're deffo in the result business, of course we are. It is, however, quite possible for an organisation to get good, yet isolated, results while still being in decline.

Which possibly explains:

For instance, we haven't had one discussion in here on our improving form and consistency over the last 3-4 months

Or are we, considering 3 months into the four months:

It's insane really, given our inconsistency

:D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D