October 22, 2020, 01:14:08 PM

Author Topic: Coutinho  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Coutinho
« on: January 30, 2013, 05:58:16 PM »
I'm excited!

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/ayre-we-fought-for-coutinho

It seems obvious now that there is a coherent (if risky)
strategy in play at the club. The arrival of Coutinho complements
other young technicians at the club, the likes of Suso &
Sterling and we're shopping in a particular market of
unfinished product with potential.

Lucas (God bless him) is well used to operating in a team
with flair players.

The question though remains, how the 3 of Shelvey, Allen
& Henderson fit in here. Dazzling a team with pace and tricks
is all very well but, I'd argue in a transition period it needs to
be supported by an intelligent (sometimes brutal), hard-working
midfield?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Coutinho
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »
The best teams have always had a solid defensive foundation onto which they built the attacking side.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 10:24:42 PM »
The best teams have always had a solid defensive foundation onto which they built the attacking side.

Yeapp, which is why I'm disappointed we didn't go for a CB. On the other hand that's always in the long term so the right player/players may not have been available. It's vital for continued progression Agger feels the heat.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:49:23 PM »
I had a CB radio in the early 80s.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 10:53:05 PM »
Yeapp, which is why I'm disappointed we didn't go for a CB. On the other hand that's always in the long term so the right player/players may not have been available. It's vital for continued progression Agger feels the heat.

It's not a long term thing though. I'll use a construction analogy again. You build/lay your foundations first. They're the secret to success of the build long term.

We have an ageing centre half, Coates who hasn't had enough of a run to prove anything either way. The odd game here and there proves nothing, whether he's MOTM, or worse than Alehouse Charlie.

We leaked goals last season and in the first part of  this, so whilst yes, we're short of the ability to put it in the net, we were also short of capacity of keeping it out of ours.
One player recruited to serve each end of the pitch would have been balanced.

Ideally, after the Summer we should have been concentrating on the front end of the team, but the games in between the windows threw up the fact that we couldn't keep them out well enough at the other end. 

I agree there may not have been a player available, but it's not a long term need, it's a priority as soon as possible.

Whether we'd have got a defensive midfielder to help protect or a centre half to directly shore up, either way the team's defensive capacity and ability would be strengthened.

It goes back to Rodgers' decision to bring in two familiar faces as his first two recruits.

It's understandable that a young, inexperienced manager with no CV or successful track record to impress or convince senior players of the gravity of some of those we have at the club, could be tempted to bring in familiar faces to help 'convince' and 'sell the philosophy', however, whilst that is right for a manager as an individual, it's not neccessarily what the team required.

If instead of Borini we had Sturridge or someone similar, instead of Allen someone like Dembele or an equally physically strong, technical all round midfielder to add some strength and physical presence, giving us a more solid shield in midfield for a defence that had shipped goals last season, imagine the difference it could have made to the season. I think we got neither value or the right components with those first two purchases.

I don't expect Rome to be built in a day, but the job could be progressing further had different materials been used.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.