February 27, 2020, 11:24:38 PM

Author Topic: If we're following the Arsenal model, I hope it's not 'this one'.  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Winning isn't everything, says Arsenal official Fox

December 6, 2012

An Arsenal official has insisted that the club's seven-year wait for a trophy has not harmed their reputation because the Gunners are "defined by more than winning".

The club's chief commercial officer Tom Fox believes that the recent renewal of Arsenal's sponsorship deal with Emirates - worth £150 million - is proof the club's brand remains strong despite their failure to challenge for top honours in recent years.

Arsenal, who last claimed major silverware in the 2005 FA Cup final, are currently 10th in the Premier League table having lost four and won just five of their 15 games in the competition so far this season. The Gunners were booed off at the weekend after losing 2-0 at home to Swansea City.

Fox, however, claimed that being competitive on the pitch was not the only measure of success. "Arsenal Football Club is not only about winning," he said. "We have a large and engaged fan-base around the world who want to feel as if they belong to the club, and want to feel proud to belong to the club. That's my primary business."

Arsenal have seen a succession of top players leave the club in order to win trophies elsewhere, with Robin van Persie's summer move to Manchester United the most recent example, but Fox said that the club's track record of producing young talent and their world-class Emirates Stadium should be sources of pride for the fans.

"Obviously nothing instills pride in our fan-base more than winning, but there's many things we do that make our fans feel proud," he was quoted as saying by UAE-based website Sport 360. "Developing young talent and finding those players in the marketplace make our fans feel proud.

"Whether it's Serge Gnabry, who is a 17-year-old player in our reserve squad, whether it's Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, whether it's Theo Walcott, we look at these young players and have faith in our manager to develop them as the players for the future.

"And the fans come to a stadium that the club built really at a time 10 years ago when the board decided to build that stadium.

"Everything was going our way, it was Manchester United and Arsenal. But we made a very bold decision and we built that stadium on time and on budget - that makes our fans very proud.

"When they see that we can attract - even though we haven't won a trophy in seven years - one of the top global brands in the world for the type of money and financial commitment they're making, that makes our fans feel proud.

"So our brand is defined by more than winning."

Fox's comments come after Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger told the club's Annual General Meeting in October that finishing fourth in the league - and thereby qualifying for the Champions League - was in itself the equivalent of winning a trophy.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/182600.html#

So your average Arsenal fan is now more interested in major constructional project management and measures success not in goals scored, points gained and trophies won, but in the size of sponsorship deals and being recognised by 'brands' from the other side of the world.

Proof if ever proof was needed that football truly is the sport of the working classes and that the suits just 'don't get it'.

The ghost of Herbert Chapman must be crying on Shankly's shoulder.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: If we're following the Arsenal model, I hope it's not 'this one'.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 11:00:40 PM »
So your average Arsenal fan is now more interested in major constructional project management and measures success not in goals scored, points gained and trophies won, but in the size of sponsorship deals and being recognised by 'brands' from the other side of the world.

Proof if ever proof was needed that football truly is the sport of the working classes and that the suits just 'don't get it'.

The ghost of Herbert Chapman must be crying on Shankly's shoulder.
Typical commercial officer BS.

I think we're on a similar trajectory though and would argue that rather
than being disappointed our actual goal is exactly what Arsenal fans find
so galling i.e. top 4 and Champions League every year + big stadium.

Eventually when the plaudits from a sycophantic media eager to fell trees
dies down, the bottom line in sport is always winning. It takes a rare breed
of manager that can break up a hegemony and consistently win silverware.

It's one of the reasons why me and the Dude don't warm to Rodgers because
we see a Brent character eager to please his bosses and conform to company policy.
No doubt we'll be wallowing in similar PR missives to the above in years to come loaded
with adjectives like "sensible" and "realistic" and things being more important than winning.

I hope I'm wrong.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 11:19:20 PM »
the bottom line in sport is always winning.

Every suit needs to have that tattooed backwards on his forehead, so every time he looks in the mirror he sees it. Who knows, it may even sink in.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:35:43 PM »
It's one of the reasons why me and the Dude don't warm to Rodgers because
we see a Brent character eager to please his bosses and conform to company policy.
No doubt we'll be wallowing in similar PR missives to the above in years to come loaded
with adjectives like "sensible" and "realistic" and things being more important than winning.

I hope I'm wrong.

There'll still be plenty of "magnificant"s to go round.

This window will tell us a lot about both Rodgers and FSG. How Rodgers reacts to whatever happens will be interesting.

The manager is owed one this window, as are the fans, but he needs to prove himself this window. He's bought his two 'familiar faces', now he needs to make the money count.

Although the money will be limited I hope he doesn't go for quantity over quality and spread his spending too thinly.
One Walcott would be better than two Borinis or three Assaidis. I'm not saying he'll get as much as 2x Borinis or as little as 3x Assaidis or that Walcott would cost somewhere in between the two, or that we're even seriously interested in Walcott, just that quality over quantity is needed for now and the future.
I'd rather we bought a player that will grow with us and can contribute increasingly going forward, rather than add numbers for the now and next season but then need upgrading after that and we find that they turn into more 'unflushables'. We've made that mistake far too many times in the last few years. 

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 12:07:39 AM »
but he needs to prove himself this window.
Exactly what is his track record in the transfer market does
anyone know?

It would also be nice to see the fruits of the labour of our new scouting team.

Beyond a goal scorer, which is the obvious current deficiency, any other
signings are bound to send a clear message to the rest of the squad be
it veterans or youngsters because with little money available he can't
help but show where his priorities lie.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 09:50:35 PM »
A brutal reminder tonight of the nature of
modern football. For too long Wenger has
remained true to his principles and neglected
the importance of winning things regularly, be
it even the Carling Cup.

Arguably, beyond his principles, one has to wonder what
Rodgers brings in terms of winning things?

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:12:11 PM »
it even the Carling Cup.

No real sympathy when Arsene flogs Van Persie to one of their nearest rivals...aka Manure..

As for Rodgers...he's like the new charlie sheen...where losing is 'winning'...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »
I'm different. I have a different constitution, I have a different brain, I have a different heart.

I got tiger blood, man.

I'm bi-winning. I win here, I win there.

:)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:06:47 PM »
like I said, in my unpublished end-of-season report from 2 years ago, Wenger and Arsenal need to part company.

He built one good team, that enjoyed some level of domination/rivalry with United, in the late 90's/early 2000s.  But once that team broke up, most notably the end of Viera's career at Highbury, that was the end of it.   He failed to bring in a new tough central midfielder......preferring instead nancy boys.

IMHO Wenger is allowed to continue because he is a pretty sure fire bet for getting CL football each season.  And for a club that needs lots of income to pay off  debts, after spending to build a new ground, that is the key factor that has kept him in a job.   

But this season, I think the CL football era may come to an end for Wenger and Arsenal.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 11:12:20 PM »
I'm different. I have a different constitution, I have a different brain, I have a different heart.

I got tiger blood, man.

I'm bi-winning. I win here, I win there.

:)

LMAO!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 10:41:04 PM »
it even the Carling Cup.

Quality bump, Ed.