August 10, 2020, 09:11:39 AM

Author Topic: Rumours of FSG selling begin...  (Read 2889 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours of FSG selling begin...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »
I don't think their heart was ever truly in it.

and they didn't give sufficient attention or respect to the club, or this new sport (to them).

plus they were naive, thinking the FFP rules would be the cure for many of our ills.

personally, I do not want any more Americans at the club.  The future is in Asia and the middle east.  If we cannot get the best owner from the British Isles, then Asia or the middle east is where the solution lies.

But we need stability.  Someone that is in it for the long term.  We need an owner that is smart enough to employ the best resources - and let them get on with the day to day running of the club.....and pump in money when required.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 10:47:24 PM »
I don't think their heart was ever truly in it.

and they didn't give sufficient attention or respect to the club, or this new sport (to them).

plus they were naive, thinking the FFP rules would be the cure for many of our ills.

personally, I do not want any more Americans at the club.  The future is in Asia and the middle east.  If we cannot get the best owner from the British Isles, then Asia or the middle east is where the solution lies.

But we need stability.  Someone that is in it for the long term.  We need an owner that is smart enough to employ the best resources - and let them get on with the day to day running of the club.....and pump in money when required.

Dude, Purslow seems to suggest that what we've feared all along was true, that they had placed far  too much weight and importance on FFP having a similar 'levelling' effect as the way American sports are organised.
Their complete lack of knowledge of football, the sport and the politics of English and European football, and the importance placed on clubs as selling tools and money earners for the governing bodies as opposed to the priority in the States of the owners being given the best chance of making money.
If they'd have appointed a strong, football baed board, and savvy, streetwise, football versed CEO, this could all have been revealed to them as soon as these people were in place.
As so many Americans do, they haven't looked into how the land lies elsewhere,  they've just presumed it will be the same as it is Stateside.
Henry feels the need to re-assure fans in Boston and his fellow investors as far as the Red Sox 'investment' goes, yet he's not been to this country in over a year - it's not hard to see where his priorities, at least, lie.

They need to be either a 100% in or sell up, though my worry would be to who. I'd agree that Asia would be the way to go as I don't see a British ownership anywhere, not even beyond the horizon. Asian owners I doubt would be hamstrung in the same way as Henry and Co, and their 'world appreciation' is far, far greater.

Will the boat ever stop rocking?
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 01:04:26 PM »
Henry not been to this country in over a year - it's not hard to see where his priorities lie.

They need to be either a 100% in or sell up, though my worry would be to who. I'd agree that Asia would be the way to go..........Asian owners I doubt would be hamstrung in the same way as Henry and Co, and their 'world appreciation' is far, far greater.

agreed, Tes.

I wish they'd sell right now......thus allowing a new owner to get their feet under the table, and appoint the right senior people (and new boss), prior to a new season being on us.

Asian owners, with a predominantly British board and chief executive, could be the way to go.

I want to never see a yank owning the club again.

We need people of humility, intelligence and world-awareness.   
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 05:38:55 PM »
I'll take anything that cretin Purslow says with a pinch of salt.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 05:50:36 PM »
It's more the process, how the media works,
begins with a trickle. We await a response,
if there is one, from the owners.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 05:53:03 PM »
Well apart from that cretin Purslow there has been no speculation - that is my point.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 06:00:51 PM »
Well apart from that cretin Purslow there has been no speculation - that is my point.
My point is ideally you would use someone like
Purslow (who they know, but has a credibility issue
with the fans to let the idea float out)

As I said we await their response (if any).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »

The original suggestions of investor unrest were out there way before Purslow's utterings. When it comes to football the man's a muppet but when it comes to business I'd be less inclined to totally dismiss him.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 03:26:41 PM »

Two years too late, Purslow sees Rafa as Reds boss
May 17, 2012 by Jim Boardman

THE NEWS last night that Kenny Dalglish had, officially, been sacked by FSG was big news. If Liverpool’s place in the football world is diminishing nobody seems to have told the news outlets. It wasn’t just sports pages, sports bulletins or local radio talking about the end of Kenny’s second stint as boss and views were sought from ex-players, reporters and fans.

One person whose views were thought relevant is the man who – some argue – got Liverpool FC into this situation of trying to find the right manager in the first place. Christian Purslow was installed, probably by demand of the banks, as the club’s MD in 2009.

Purslow was announced as MD after Liverpool had finished second in the league. The season that followed saw the manager undermined and the club head at speed towards administration whilst the man sent in to save it was pretending all was rosy financially to anybody who’d listen.

It was that pretence – including untrue statements that there had been £20m spent on transfers over and above what came in from sales – that helped set the scene for Rafa’s ultimate departure. For reasons best known to themselves, some fans wanted Rafa out even as he was taking the club towards that second-place finish. “This club exists to win trophies!” they cried, probably literally. Before long they were being used to add to the pressure Rafa was under as certain elements in the boardroom did all they could to distract from the genuine, threatening, problems the club now had with its lenders.

The tactics were dirty.

Benítez explained after he’d left how things hadn’t been as promised after finishing second: “It’s strange. This year everything changed from the beginning,” he told Radio City. “People in the club changed and the approach to everything was different. Clearly it was a question in the beginning of controlling the money we could spend or not, and everything was different to the past. We were so close to winning the title the year before that everybody was expecting something more but we couldn’t do it.”

By allowing fans, and the disinterested elements of the media, to think Liverpool had still invested in improving the squad the club allowed those fans to expect improvement on second place. As all other clubs invested in improving and strengthening their squad Liverpool made a transfer profit and the squad was effectively weakened. Liverpool were expected to do more with less and the pressure was on from the day the first ball was kicked.

Today Christian Purslow is hoping all of this is forgotten. He now gets called in to give his views on running a football club. The man who played a large part in Liverpool moving from league runners-up to relegation candidates is probably a good person to call in for his opinion on running a club – but not exactly in the way he has in mind.

Speaking about Dalglish’s departure, Purslow told Radio 4: “I think it’s strictly a business decision. The business was acquired by this new investment group only 18 months ago. They did so with the intention of making a return on that investment and the two key elements of that, building a stadium and getting the team back into the Champions League, there’s been very little progress in either of those.

“I think with the investment not on plan Kenny Dalglish has carried the can for that.”

Purslow played a key role in swapping Benítez for Roy Hodgson, the man who lasted six months before the new owners got rid with the club heading for the Championship. The former MD was asked who Liverpool should be looking at: “I think in terms of heavyweights, people with real track records of success at the highest level in European football, I think there are two obvious names – Rafa Benitez and Fabio Capello.”

The man who played a massive role in the departure of Benítez was no recommending him for the job.

After Rafa’s departure from Anfield, Purslow claimed: “The Board didn’t sack Rafa. Rafa’s exit was about as clear cut a case of mutual consent as I have ever been involved in in my life.” Rafa had been pushed out and Purslow had won his little battle, although he didn’t stay much longer. He would be the first casualty of the FSG takeover, his resignation accepted without pause for thought.

Now, all that forgotten, Purslow says Benítez, and former England boss Capello, would be good for LFC: “They’re both serial winners, they both know the job inside out and have a proper track record.”

Purslow thinks FSG would be wrong to go for a “younger up and coming manager”. He said: “I think that would be a very risky thing to do, given this investment is not where they need it to be.”

When Purslow was at Anfield and with the club – as he recently claimed – at serious risk of going into administration he certainly didn’t play the role of a man here to save the club money and help it survive the financial problems it was facing.

On a public website (Linkedin) the former PA of the club’s former MD explained what her role consisted of. It was all as expected really, including: “My day was often spent organising social meetings, booking restaurants, and liaising with many high profile people and celebrities.”

Maybe these are also considered to be fairly normal responsibilities for a PA at a club on the verge of going out of existence: “I was also called upon to help arrange family holidays, family weekend trips away, which included sourcing accommodation etc., and liaising with the appropriate company throughout.

“In my role, it was vital that I kept in constant contact with the family chauffeur in order for things to run smoothly. Occasional liaison with the family housekeeper was also required.”

She was also, despite having been at the club longer than her final boss at the club, a victim of FSG’s takeover: “Regrettably, I was made redundant when the Managing Director stepped down in November 2010.”

Purslow, before he did step down, said: “I don’t have a contract. It would cost the new owner nothing to say the day after he buys the club, ‘Thanks very much but we don’t need you.’” The club’s accounts show Liverpool paid out a total of £8.4m on terminated contracts during the period covering Purslow’s departure. How much of that went to Hodgson, Mike Kelly or Purslow wasn’t revealed.

http://www.anfieldroad.com/news/lfc/2012-05-17/5928/two-years-too-late-purslow-suggests-rafa-as-reds-boss.html/

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 10:42:27 PM »
Thank God we don't have that muppet making decisions regarding LFC.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 01:14:38 AM »
Thank God we don't have that muppet making decisions regarding LFC.

Q: Who would be a good manager to replace Kenny Dalglish?

A: The man I replaced with Roy Hodgson.

As has been said, when it comes to football the man's a muppet.