September 29, 2020, 05:57:10 PM

Author Topic: Ferguson’s final act was a tribute to the Liverpool Way  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
Ferguson’s final act was a tribute to the Liverpool Way
« on: May 14, 2013, 08:25:11 AM »
Alyson Rudd (The Times)

A perch. Liverpool. An expletive. These were what motivated Sir Alex Ferguson in his early years at Old Trafford. But to defeat your enemy, you need to know your enemy and Ferguson could see that at Anfield they had a boot room philosophy.

It was not perfect but it did produce the one British manager that makes you stop to wonder if Ferguson really is the most successful of all time. Bob Paisley, who won three European Cups in the space of five years, was the ultimate boot room success story. He played for Liverpool, he managed their reserves when his playing days ended, he acted as the club’s physio and became an assistant manager to Bill Shankly.

All that time he quietly soaked up the tricks of the trade and was probably the only man who could handle replacing his enigmatic predecessor.

Ferguson could not realistically keep a potential replacement in his own boot room for 26 years. By anointing David Moyes, he has done the next best thing. The Everton manager knows the United business plan having been involved in all manner of transfer deals with the club. He knows what you get with a United player and what kind of player United like to buy. He respects Ferguson and Ferguson clearly feels paternalistic about Moyes.

The manner in which Ferguson spoke dismissively about Wayne Rooney’s transfer request would have been odd had José Mourinho just been named United manager. But Ferguson gave the impression that what he thinks about the striker is what Moyes thinks about the striker who started at Everton. Heck, that is almost the same, now that Moyes is taking over, as Rooney starting out at Old Trafford with Moyes as his youth team coach.

“Your job now is to stand by our new manager,” Ferguson said out on the pitch on Sunday. Our new manager. Not, your new manager. In one fell swoop he created the illusion of a boot room appointment, of seamless transition, of inevitability, of a line of Scottish succession, of decency, of hope.

It can’t all be true of course. Moyes was not to be found carefully folding the shirts of Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer ahead of the Champions League Final of 1999 nor listening in on the half time team talk. Neither was he at Wembley in 1996 to have a quiet word with Eric Cantona before he scored the winning FA Cup Final goal. Nor was he at Ferguson’s side for every league match since November 1986, seeing how United won, how they lost -and, as Ferguson said in his farewell speech, those defeats were instructive too.

Still, as City fans squirm at how little Roberto Mancini seems to know about anything political at their club, there is a pleasantly cosy sense of family values for United fans to coo over. The more cynical observer might, though, conclude that as taking over from Ferguson has been regarded as a poisoned chalice for the past 12 years, there is nothing remotely cosy going on.

United had to find someone who would both be flattered to be asked and unafraid of comparison, yet who commanded respect. The only possible solution was an internal appointment and so the club has created the illusion of finding one. Ferguson’s final act was a tribute to the Liverpool Way. It is a path strewn with pot holes now but in its prime it both taunted and inspired him.
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson’s final act was a tribute to the Liverpool Way
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 12:51:13 AM »
Let's hope they follow us down the recently (last 20 years) relaid 'Liverpool Way'. The one that ultimately leads to midtable obscurity, where 'staying at home' and avoiding European competition, jettisoning the cups to give an illusion of concentrating on the league are the chosen paths that sweep round in a huge circle eventually bringing us back to midtable obscurity, or should that be security or familiarity, as Brendan hasn't quite explained which one it is yet, from his point of view.
The Liverpool Way that leads to a challenge for a challenge to eventually challenge for European football eventually, giving us false hope that our Thursday nights can once more become fulfilling, having practiced for the previous two nights watching CL footie on the tellie.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 11:06:19 AM »
Let's hope they follow us down the recently (last 20 years) relaid 'Liverpool Way'

they should have given the job to Bryan Robson.  And if he messed up, then given it to Mark Hughes.

ala Dalglish and Souness with us.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 02:17:36 PM »

they should have given the job to Bryan Robson.  And if he messed up, then given it to Mark Hughes.

ala Dalglish and Souness with us.

Steve Bruce has his mobile in his hand as we speak.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 01:08:47 PM »
Steve Bruce has his mobile in his hand as we speak.

:D    ah, I had forgotten about old big head, Bruce.

I see he got promotion.  So we will be seeing, and hearing, a lot more from him next season.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 07:58:08 PM »

:D    ah, I had forgotten about old big head, Bruce.

I see he got promotion.  So we will be seeing, and hearing, a lot more from him next season.

I bet he has Moyes on speed dial asking him who he'd like to have taken off his hands and how much cash he needs to raise to purchase his own targets.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 08:10:37 PM »
Talking of the Moyessiah, or rather his soon to be ex, Martinez looks like he could be going there, from:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-paper-round-mourinho-wants-ronaldo-chelsea-075837172.html

"Finally, Roberto Martinez has suggested he is ready to leave Wigan and join Everton.

"It will be maybe the right time for a fresh challenge," the boss is quoted as saying in the Daily Star.

"I'll sit down with the chairman once the season is over and decide what's best for Wigan.

"I always felt I would never leave until Wigan Athletic is in a good position for a change of management. I feel now that we need to sit down and look at every detail - but the football club is in an incredible moment.
"

So we'd better enjoy next season's Derbys (Derbies?) unless they drag us down with them.