December 06, 2019, 01:22:22 PM

Author Topic: Reading between the lines  (Read 1974 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Reading between the lines
« on: April 13, 2013, 09:03:51 AM »

Wednesday 16 December 2009

Reading have parted company with their manager Brendan Rodgers by mutual consent. The Royals have had a difficult season and sit 21st in the Championship, having won only one of their 11 home league games.

A statement on the club's official website said: "Following a meeting this afternoon, the chairman, the board of Reading Football Club and Brendan Rodgers have agreed by mutual consent that Brendan Rodgers will leave his position as first-team manager with immediate effect. Reading Football Club will make no further comment at this stage."

Rodgers took over in June from Steve Coppell, who left the club after five-and- a-half years in charge having taken them up to the Premier League for two years. Coppell resigned after failing to gain promotion back to the top flight at the end of last season.

Rodgers managed Reading's youth teams between 1995-2004 after retiring as a player at the age of 20, before managerial spells with the Chelsea youth and reserve teams and with Watford, where he stayed just seven months.

Reading face a trip to Bristol City on Saturday and host Liverpool in the FA Cup on 2 January.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/16/reading-part-company-brendan-rodgers

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Reading between the lines
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »
From today's Guardian.

Rodgers travels to Reading on Saturday hoping their new manager, Nigel Adkins, will be given time to rebuild the relegation-threatened side; time he feels was lacking when he was sacked by Reading in December 2009.

Rodgers said: "The idea when I came in was to bring through young players over a period of time. Then they (Reading) decided it was not the route."

PS - sorry to take a new thread.  I was initially gonna call it Brendan's World.  But I think it is good to have a place where BS and  spin can be highlighted.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »
Brendan's World - "The idea when I came in was to bring through young players over a period of time. Then Reading decided it was not the route."

The Real World - Reading sit 21st in the Championship, having won only one of their 11 home league games.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 11:47:32 AM »
Brendan's World - "The idea when I came in was to bring through young players over a period of time. Then Reading decided it was not the route."

The Real World - Reading sit 21st in the Championship, having won only one of their 11 home league games.

The villains at Reading didn't understand his 'project', thankfully at Liverpool he's got owners who truly understand. Dear lord.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »
The villains at Reading didn't understand his 'project', thankfully at Liverpool he's got owners who truly understand. Dear lord.

yes, give me one more season, guv.  I swear it will all come good in the second year.

you cannae hurry a project.  These things take time, guv.

I have been to the mountain top.  I have seen the promised land. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 11:54:57 PM »
last year, Swansea's record was as follows:
Played 38 - Won 12 Drew 11 Lost 15 Points 47

This season, to date, Liverpool's record:   
Played 33 - Won 13 Drew 11 Lost 9  Points 50

The big lad in the dugout has had far more resources to call upon, but pretty much achieved feck all with them.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:57:09 PM by the dude abides »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »
last year, Swansea's record was as follows:
Played 38 - Won 12 Drew 11 Lost 15 Points 47

This season, to date, Liverpool's record:   
Played 33 - Won 13 Drew 11 Lost 9  Points 50

The big lad in the dugout has had far more resources to call upon, but pretty much achieved feck all with them.

Progress. My favourite this season.  ;D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.