October 21, 2019, 08:59:58 PM

Author Topic: Henry speaks, but what exactly is he saying?  (Read 3097 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Henry speaks, but what exactly is he saying?
« on: May 30, 2013, 12:09:24 AM »
John Henry talks LFC finances – Reds “finance themselves”

By This Is Anfield on May 29, 2013

Principal owner John Henry has explained that Liverpool FC, like each entity owned by Fenway Sports Group, “finance themselves”.

In an interview with Boston radio station WEEI FM last week, Henry discussed the finances of Fenway Sports Group and their operations.

Supporters of Boston Red Sox baseball team, who FSG have owned since 2002, have queried the finances of FSG, with the WEEI FM reporter wondering whether Liverpool are a “financial black hole that threatens to swallow the operating revenues of other FSG operations”. To which Henry categorically replied “Fenway Sports Group expansion has never and will never take place at the expense of the Boston Red Sox.”

Speaking specifically about Liverpool, Henry hinted at the ownership groups desire to grow the commercial side of the club, writing that “At LFC we have only just begun there to build revenues. It has a global fan base and a global commercial appeal.”

What FSG are not going to do though is pour millions upon millions into Liverpool, or any of their other ventures, in a similar manner as we have seen at clubs such as Man City and Chelsea in England and now in France with PSG and Monaco.

But any investment into LFC would not be at the loss of the Red Sox, and vice-versa. “We have cash flow from all of the other entities. There has not been a year in which FSG as a whole had an operating loss. And there hasn’t been a year in which we’ve paid a dividend.”

The club are expected to make further announcements this summer with regards expanding Anfield and Henry explained that “renovations at Anfield will finance themselves”.

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2013/05/john-henry-talks-lfc-finances-reds-finance-themselves/

Yet again it sounds more like a PR exercise to pacify the Boston natives. It's a shame he doesn't talk to Radio City or The Echo. Afterall, the global LFC 'brand' isn't based in Boston and it's about time he showed some interest in addressing our fans too.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Henry speaks, but what exactly is he saying?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 03:39:06 PM »

Yet again it sounds more like a PR exercise to pacify the Boston natives. It's a shame he doesn't talk to Radio City or The Echo. Afterall, the global LFC 'brand' isn't based in Boston and it's about time he showed some interest in addressing our fans too.

that is exactly what I thought, when I read it last night, Tes.

I suspect FSG has been taking a lot of abuse in Boston, with their baseball club's fall from grace......and people there blaming FSG's Liverpool project, for derailing resources.

their words above were for purely for their american audience. 

but they do confirm that our owners have no intention of pumping money into the club.

everything has to be self-financing.

on the one hand, that is good.  That is the way to run a business.

on the otherhand, it is madness.  Football is like no other business.  There is no share dividend at the end of each year.  Any growth is via capital growth, when one sells the club.

When it comes to football, I think our owners are way in above their head.

My only hope is that clubs that are well run, like arsenal and ourselves, will reap the rewards in the future - when the wheels come off the wagons, of debt-laden clubs, like united, chelsea, etc.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »
5 weeks away from the internet....fecking hideous...sorting out internet in Spain...like the trials of hercules...
anyways....what have i missed?
wow we ended up 7th...biggus dealus...
suarez looks like he's off..
we've signed the wrong Toure...
whats happened with Skrtel and reina?
and rafa's gone and signed for napoli...we had the chance...and now thats lost..ah well...

good to be back! yeeehawww

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 12:19:46 AM »
glad to see you back, bart.

hope your net is now working ok.   

yes, miserable season, never had a chance of winning a thing, all year.

at least we played sweet candy football after Christmas.  Pleasing on the eye, if not the table.

I see no more balance in the side, than I did at the start of the season.  Indeed, it may even be worse now, at the back.

but hey, this is what happens when you sell off your best players, and replace them with lesser quality.

and you employ a 39 year old kid for the dugout, who has won fek all in his short life.

but on the bright side, everton have lost Moyes........so we might be able to compete with them now.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 12:23:01 AM »
oh and Martin and his alter ego have high-tailed it out of here.

I think the pressure got too much, when they saw our glorious leader was not gonna lead us into a bright new dawn.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 12:23:48 AM »
annual tractor production is up.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 06:32:47 PM »
5 weeks away from the internet....fecking hideous...sorting out internet in Spain...like the trials of hercules...
anyways....what have i missed?
wow we ended up 7th...biggus dealus...
suarez looks like he's off..
we've signed the wrong Toure...
whats happened with Skrtel and reina?
and rafa's gone and signed for napoli...we had the chance...and now thats lost..ah well...

good to be back! yeeehawww

The more things seem to change the more they seem the same.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
but on the bright side, everton have lost Moyes........so we might be able to compete with them now.

Champions of England Merseyside. Yeeeeaaaaaaahhh.  :D