December 14, 2019, 11:13:08 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 153618 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #135 on: September 18, 2013, 07:04:37 PM »
Talking of Agger and gym injuries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGXzhWQDkic
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 18, 2013, 07:06:44 PM »
There are several posts in the Summer transfer thread where we stated we needed cover for the Lucas/Gerrard partnership. Gerrard can't play ever game and the internationals.

Our squad is still thin in certain areas and injuries will stretch us thinner.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2013, 11:34:23 PM »
I would think it would have to be a shoo-in for alberto cos the players looked pretty clueless creatively once coutinho left the field...oh and i hope toure is fit for southampton...i hope sakho will be a great success as he showed some good touches but he also showed a lot of bad points, he needs to be eased in...i can understand that he played if toure was unfit...but let's hope he and agger are back to full fitness at the weekend...

Yeah Alberto does seem like he should make the bench, possibly start saturday. We could possibly see Suarez take Coutinhos place when he returns.

Totally agreed on Sakho. He could become a very astute signing but hes not ready to start if you go by mondays performance. Toures experience and composure needs to be reinstated. And not at right back.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2013, 11:35:58 PM »
Talking of Agger and gym injuries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGXzhWQDkic

Haha, two torn hamstrings and possibly some paralysis.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2013, 11:40:43 PM »
There are several posts in the Summer transfer thread where we stated we needed cover for the Lucas/Gerrard partnership. Gerrard can't play ever game and the internationals.

Our squad is still thin in certain areas and injuries will stretch us thinner.

Yet to see anything of Allen this season either. I dont think Rodgers trusts him. We will have to see how Gerrard will fare playing one game a week. Talk of a possible Alonso return in January. Id take it if he proved his fitness and the price was right. We have to be looking at that position long term though.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »
Yet to see anything of Allen this season either. I dont think Rodgers trusts him. We will have to see how Gerrard will fare playing one game a week. Talk of a possible Alonso return in January. Id take it if he proved his fitness and the price was right. We have to be looking at that position long term though.

Completely agree, Juan. When we're essentially playing with a two man screen of the defence, it makes no sense to have not even a single player to cover the position.

It's hard to know what to make of the Allen situation. We can be fair to him and blame last season on getting the shoulder injury relatively early in the season, playing out of position and being at a new club with greater pressure and expectation than he's ever experienced, and the £15M price was not his doing, either.
But then none of that explains this season. Considering how much football Gerrard had played this season already and two internationals in a week before before the Swansea game, you would have thought Allen would have stood a chance, especially being away from home and with the need to keep possession, especially in our second half fades.

Our whole midfield setup and the particular kinds of players we have and don't have need close examination between now and January and an addition somewhere needs to be made. We're not particularly strong physically, creatively or in terms of goal scoring, and neither are we blessed with a deal of pace overall either. 

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2013, 10:54:11 AM »
Sorry folks but I have this very very bad feeling about So'ton at home this afternoon. Injuries been hard on us + we seem to struggle to keep our game together for a full 90. 1-2 I predict.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »
Sorry folks but I have this very very bad feeling about So'ton at home this afternoon. Injuries been hard on us + we seem to struggle to keep our game together for a full 90. 1-2 I predict.
Geez, nudder dreadful presser

http://www.merseyreds.com/2013/09/19/brendan-rodgers-pre-southampton-press-conference-free-video/

Can he not just do 5 minutes and then say that's all
I have to say bye! When he starts on about Kolo Toure
being a humble guy, I mean this mania for humble guys
and eulogies about our sainted squad. He just feels like a
guy selling self-help books.

I never heard Roy Keane referred to as a humble guy by Ferguson.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2013, 02:09:52 PM »

I find your lack of faith...disturbing, Martin.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »
I find your lack of faith...disturbing, Martin.

I know, I feel dirty inside.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2013, 05:17:21 PM »

I wasnt feeling comfortable myself after seeing the team sheet. Today though wasnt about injuries. Simply Rodgers got it wrong. Starting with 4 centre backs was an awful call and he has to take the blame.

We have been on this run spanning from the end of last season, our defense has been solid yet we are adamant to just give the new players their place without making them work for it. Moses I dont mind so much hes done in the PL before now. Toure has been rock solid too. But Aspas and Sakho should be made work for their start.

Today it just seemed like he didnt want to drop any of our centre backs so instead he decided to play them all even if it was square pegs in round holes etc etc. Going forward he has to man up and do whats best for the team. For me thats Toure and Agger if they are fit while playing fullbacks in the full back positions.

Still not such a bad start to the season. Suarez to come back is massive. I am worried about our centre midfield though. I'm not sure Gerrard has the ability to take a game by the scruff of its neck anymore.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2013, 05:26:41 PM »
I wasnt feeling comfortable myself after seeing the team sheet. Today though wasnt about injuries. Simply Rodgers got it wrong. Starting with 4 centre backs was an awful call and he has to take the blame.

We have been on this run spanning from the end of last season, our defense has been solid yet we are adamant to just give the new players their place without making them work for it. Moses I dont mind so much hes done in the PL before now. Toure has been rock solid too. But Aspas and Sakho should be made work for their start.

Today it just seemed like he didnt want to drop any of our centre backs so instead he decided to play them all even if it was square pegs in round holes etc etc. Going forward he has to man up and do whats best for the team. For me thats Toure and Agger if they are fit while playing fullbacks in the full back positions.

Still not such a bad start to the season. Suarez to come back is massive. I am worried about our centre midfield though. I'm not sure Gerrard has the ability to take a game by the scruff of its neck anymore.

I agree with a lot Juan. I do feel that Skrtel was back to his normal self after two above par performances. His acting that led up to the corner the won the game from was nothing short of criminal. I hope he doesn't feature anytime soon again.

I would also agree the line-up was spurious to say the least. At the same time it's evident Aspas, Henderson and Lucas just aren't good enough.

Worst of all tho was the lack of urgency given our incredible "confidence". On the other hand, if the ref would've awarded us that peno it probably would've ended differently.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
I agree with a lot Juan. I do feel that Skrtel was back to his normal self after two above par performances. His acting that led up to the corner the won the game from was nothing short of criminal. I hope he doesn't feature anytime soon again.

I would also agree the line-up was spurious to say the least. At the same time it's evident Aspas, Henderson and Lucas just aren't good enough.

Worst of all tho was the lack of urgency given our incredible "confidence". On the other hand, if the ref would've awarded us that peno it probably would've ended differently.

Yeah theres no doubt Skrtel is capable of putting in a big performance but his problem has always been consistency and concentration. Hes too prone to errors. Sakho Ive no doubt will prove a great acquisition but there has been no need to put him in straight away with the form Toures been in. Before Monday we had 3 clean sheets but even with Aggers injury we changed it up too much and we have paid the price.

Aspas deserves his chance but again I'm not sure what hes done to warrant a starting place considering he was ear marked as a squad signing and not necessarily a first teamer. Saying that with Coutihno out it was probably fair he got a run today but maybe Rodgers needs to introduce him slowly from the bench until hes up to the pace of the Premier league. So far hes been miles off being good enough.

Henderson has a good engine but he lacks from a technical perspective.  Lucas does a job. For me he warrants a place more than Gerrard at the moment.

Today was probably inevitable because all of our wins before today have been achieved sluggishly and not getting out of first gear. 

People need to step up in Coutihnos absence.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »
So we have 4 centre halves on the field and we still can't defend against a header...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »

People need to step up in Coutihnos absence.

That sentence alone captures the one big problem we face and it goes some way to prove Rodger's words a tad hollow if I'm honest.

It was a bad game from Rodgers. We can only hope he's doing his homework well as he usually does. I don't mind see Toure start ahead of Wisdom as he was a liability on Monday night. But I don't get why he rested Enrique who has shown such good form of late.

Even my Manc mate say we probably have the best CB pair in Toure and Sakho.