September 19, 2019, 10:44:11 PM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 115152 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 07:27:54 PM »
Good to see Sturridge scoring a couple of goals in a behind closed doors friendly with Newcastle.

Sad state of affairs when we're looking more and more to him to be our goalscoring saviour and solution. There's no doubting his potential but does he have the mentality to realise it and he needs to start being free of niggling injuries also.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 09:14:56 PM »
I have this feeling Liverpool Football Club will surprise a lot of people this season and I am confident that Brendan's managerial skills will see a couple of players take 3-4 steps forward helping us reach the 70 points mark with room to spare. Whether it's enough for 4th or not I don't know.

That's all I had to say. You may no resume your usual service of scornful and hateful rhetoric aimed at the manager of the club I loved for over 35 years.

Have a great season, I know I will!  :)
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 10:14:22 PM »
I agree Martin.

Whilst I don't believe we will get into the top 4 - mainly because Spurs and Arsenal will be more consistent than us throughout the season - I believe we'll see us getting closer to that level and being more competitive with the other 5 teams.

I think Spurs have done the best business so far in England. They've strengthen really well and imo are favourites for 4th.

I think we've done some good business too. After 3 years of declination Reina has left us and we have signed a GK for the next ten years, who is top top class in Mignolet. Extremely happy that we were the ones who were ruthless with Reina and not the other way around - just like Shankly and Paisley used to be.

Toure is a decent signing on a free. I hope we are not ultra dependent on him though but use him as cover. But his experience is useful.

Luis Alberto and Aspas are exciting signings. I'm especially excited about Luis Alberto who I think is going to be a special player. Aspas reminds me of Kuyt - which is a good thing. His tenacity and mentality are why Rodgers wanted him.

Also I am huge fan of Aly Cissokho. Of course he isn't at the level he used to be at Porto, but he is still a good player and this is a huge opportunity for him to show that he can hopefully go back to that level. He can play even further afield too and will provide Enrique with real competition.

I do believe we require another centre back and another offensive player and it seems we are targeting those areas.

Plus I look forward to see further developments of Henderson, Allen and Coutinho plus seeing how Sturridge copes over a whole season.

All of a sudden we have loads of options in attack. Sturridge, Borini, Alberto, Aspas, Sterling, Ibe, Suarez (or his replacement...)

So like Martin I am optimistic about Liverpool this season. I think 6th or 5th should be our real target with 4th being a long shot aim depending on where we are in the table in the certain periods of the season.

I keep a regular look on this forum and truly you are all a bunch of - well I'm not going to downgrade myself in saying it - but its truly pathetic.

Not even a modicum of support or modicum of optimism for the future. Support? What a laugh. Instead its non stop moaning and non stop negativity seeking ANY opportunity to feed that.

Ciao.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 11:19:58 PM »
5th or 6th. Great.

Were you happy with seeing a Liverpool manager 'comfortable' with there being no European football of any description on offer at Anfield this coming season?

If so, does the favour of allowing some of us to see things differently.

The saddest thing with you two is your inability to allow anyone else the latitude to see anything in a different way or from a different perspective, yet expect others to respect your rights to hold contrary views, and that your views are the 'right' ones. We get the message, you tell us often enough how wrong we are, but thanks for reinforcing the message, less we forget for a second.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 11:32:58 PM »
Even your mate is more upbeat and ambitious than you Edward. It's easy to set the bar low in order to achieve objectives. BTW, it's not being posted with any agenda in mind, but don't let stop you with your normal sniping, and wallowing in your superiority complexes.

No excuses insists Rodgers as Liverpool embark on a top four finish

Brendan Rodgers insists Liverpool cannot afford to look for excuses as they aim to meet the increased expectation of a genuine challenge for Champions League qualification.

The Anfield outfit kick-off the Premier League season when they host Stoke City, with a strong final few months to the previous campaign raising hopes of an improvement on their seventh place finish.

However, while many of Liverpool’s rivals have strengthened, Rodgers has found it difficult to attract quality reinforcements given the lack of Champions League football.

But the Northern Irishman remains determined to find a way of ensuring the club can return to the top table of European football.

“No doubt there will be calls for us to improve every year but that’s not new, that’s not unexpected,” said Rodgers. “It’s what you expect at a big club.

“We want to make improvements and believe we will. I believe we will be stronger this year.

“The measure will always be the Champions League and the big European competitions. I think the problem is if you start to think about it being unfair then you just anchor yourself and it’s hard to move on then.

“I can stand here and make excuses, I can say (Manchester) City have spent £90 odd million and other teams already in there have got stronger and reinforced as a group, but that won’t help my job here.

“I can make enough excuses but it’s not going to solve anything. We have got to fight for our life, with our play; play with the type of football that can maybe be different and get players in who are hungry.

“If you are in those top echelons you can maybe attract another type of player but I’m not going to bleat and moan about it being unfair, I just need to get on with the job and do the best I can.”

Having failed to lure several targets, Rodgers is hopeful of a deal for Anzhi Makhachkala left winger Willian after the Brazilian expressed an interest in moving to Anfield.

In terms of numbers, Liverpool’s squad is no better off than last year after making four signings and shipping out four senior players, the most recent of which was Stewart Downing this week to West Ham United.

“It’s unfortunate for some players but we had to do that,” said Rodgers. “We are in a situation not like some clubs, where they can just stockpile players and fill up the group and afford to keep them.

“We have had to move some out to get some in. But what we have now is players coming in with an understanding of how we work.

“We are confident in the next couple of weeks we can add to the team. And if we do that we are going to be in a real good position.

“Where we sit at the minute is a real good base and a couple of more it could really improve our chances.”

Rodgers also remains in the market for a centre-back but admits “it has to be the right one”.

And he added: “There’s a lot work that’s been done. A lot of finance has been rejigged and when he have to manage that the best we can to compete.

“But that’s the job, I knew the job I was coming into. Liverpool has to be sustainable club and I repeat four years ago it almost went into administration. So that’s the part of it.

“It doesn’t change the pressures and shouldn’t. That’s why I wouldn’t want to be at any other club.”

Rodgers must decide whether to throw fit-again Daniel Sturridge into the starting line-up today or hand Iago Aspas a full debut up front, while Daniel Agger should be fit to partner Kolo Toure at centre-back after missing Liverpool’s final two pre-season friendlies.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/sport/football/no-excuses-insists-brendan-rodgers-5743416

Fire!!!

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 11:45:11 PM »
The saddest thing with you two is
EVERYTHING  ;D

I wouldn't even respond to their drivel Tes. I think they get their
ideas from the kids mascot Mighty Red.

Invoking the names of Bill Shankly and Bob Paisley (who led the club to
eleven league titles and seven European trophies) to bolster arguments
based on their feelings ????

Quack Quack  :-*

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 04:29:22 PM »
I have this feeling Liverpool Football Club will surprise a lot of people this season and I am confident that Brendan's managerial skills will see a couple of players take 3-4 steps forward helping us reach the 70 points mark with room to spare. Whether it's enough for 4th or not I don't know.

That's all I had to say. You may no resume your usual service of scornful and hateful rhetoric aimed at the manager of the club I loved for over 35 years.

I agree Martin.So like Martin I am optimistic about Liverpool this season. I think 6th or 5th should be our real target with 4th being a long shot aim depending on where we are in the table in the certain periods of the season.I keep a regular look on this forum and truly you are all a bunch of - well I'm not going to downgrade myself in saying it - but its truly pathetic.Not even a modicum of support or modicum of optimism for the future. Support? What a laugh. Instead its non stop moaning and non stop negativity seeking ANY opportunity to feed that. Ciao.

let me get this straight. 

You two suddenly re-appear (after 6 or more months gone) and post co-ordinated posts, backing each other up.......and then cuss us all and proclaim that you're gone again.

your posts are clearly orchestrated/organised.

I am gonna take a calculated guess -

1) you are one and the same person; or
2) you are gay lovers (nothing wrong with that) who love to bitch
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »
Liverpool 1 Stoke 0

it's a case of, as you were from last season.

we dominated large parts of the game, against a weak side, but failed to take our chances, and were lucky on this occasion, to not squander the three points.

though we can be exciting to watch, you know, deep in your heart, that there is no balance to this type of madness. 

against sides of some quality, and tactical intelligence, we will again suffer, as we did last season.

countinho looked impressive.  Sturridge was also refreshingly fit, after only being back in training for two weeks.

life does not end with no suarez.  When I watched us last year without him, and again today, I thought we had a tighter look to the side.  I like the uruguayian, but the world does not end without him in the side.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2013, 10:36:15 PM »

You two suddenly re-appear (after 6 or more months gone) and post co-ordinated posts, backing each other up.......and then cuss us all and proclaim that you're gone again.

Twas the Mother of all coincidences, and we have to be preached at when it's not even Sunday.

BTW, congratulations to the manager for single handedly securing all 3 points today. Best start to a season since we last won our opening game. Records are there to be made and broken. Carry on Brendan, the one man vinyl machine. And Joan Jett sends her love.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2013, 10:39:44 PM »
Twas the Mother of all coincidences, and we have to be preached at when it's not even Sunday.

BTW, congratulations to the manager for single handedly securing all 3 points today. Best start to a season since we last won our opening game. Records are there to be made and broken. Carry on Brendan, the one man vinyl machine. And Joan Jett sends her love.

twas a mighty coincidence, that's for sure.

and yes, we sat atop of the premiership for a couple of hours today.

if only we could play every opening season game early like this one today.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 10:51:20 AM »
Liverpool 1 Stoke 0

it's a case of, as you were from last season.

we dominated large parts of the game, against a weak side, but failed to take our chances, and were lucky on this occasion, to not squander the three points.

though we can be exciting to watch, you know, deep in your heart, that there is no balance to this type of madness. 

against sides of some quality, and tactical intelligence, we will again suffer, as we did last season.

countinho looked impressive.  Sturridge was also refreshingly fit, after only being back in training for two weeks.

life does not end with no suarez.  When I watched us last year without him, and again today, I thought we had a tighter look to the side.  I like the uruguayian, but the world does not end without him in the side.

I know we've mentioned it numerous times before, but it is puzzling that the one thing we struggled with last season has barely had it's surface disturbed, and then it seems (or at least feels like) that if Carra hadn't forced the issue with his retirement then nothing would have changed at all.
The manager obviously doesn't rate or trust Coates, going on his actions and words, yet he's still here, and/or hasn't been upgraded or replaced. Likewise Skrtel, who couldn't displace a 35 year old about to retire, yet again it seems no action has been taken (granted, it could be not for a lack of trying) and it's always possible to improve the defensive side of the game by offering greater protection to the defence, yet Lucas is deemed the complete solution, even it seems when he's injured or suspended.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 08:38:51 PM »
Hopefully Toure can be a threat from set pieces this season. Not since Sami have we had a centre half who you felt could pose the opposition problems.

Good to see Aspas looking as though it won't take him long to tune into the wavelength that Coutinho and Sturridge already appear to be on, and Henderson appears to have picked up where he left off last season and is showing a willingness to get forward and get himself in goal scoring positions.

Strange as it seems, I'm starting to think that Hendo could become an important player for us this season if given the opportunity. He brings genuine energy to the midfield and is starting to look like he has got his head around what being at big club, with the associated expectation, requires of a player.

Maybe, just maybe, he may prove to be the silver lining on the blacker than black cloud that was Dalglish/Comolli's transfer policy.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 08:41:19 PM by Tes »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 10:30:30 PM »

Put Your Cards on the Table Time

who do you think will finish in the top four.

I prefer to wait a few weeks, to see the various top clubs opening performances.  But I will make an early prediction.

Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd will obviously dominate the division.

City have a lot of resources to call upon.  And I always liked their manager, Manuel Pellegrini.  But when looking for new Liverpool managers, in recent years, and studying the new City boss's CV, I was amazed to find how little he has won in his managerial career.  One trophy in Europe (Intertoto Cup in 2004); and 3 or 4 titles in south american leagues many years ago.

He does not appear to be a winner in europe - instead more of a david moyes type, e.g. doing well to take villarreal to decent positions in the Liga.

Anyroads,  I am not sure how well Chelsea have done in the market this summer, but I am gonna go for Chelsea.

1) Chelsea
2) Man Utd
3) Man City
4) Spurs
5) Arsenal

let's see some predictions.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 11:05:34 PM »

who do you think will finish in the top four.

I prefer to wait a few weeks, to see the various top clubs opening performances.  But I will make an early prediction.

Man City, Chelsea and Man Utd will obviously dominate the division.

City have a lot of resources to call upon.  And I always liked their manager, Manuel Pellegrini.  But when looking for new Liverpool managers, in recent years, and studying the new City boss's CV, I was amazed to find how little he has won in his managerial career.  One trophy in Europe (Intertoto Cup in 2004); and 3 or 4 titles in south american leagues many years ago.

He does not appear to be a winner in europe - instead more of a david moyes type, e.g. doing well to take villarreal to decent positions in the Liga.

Anyroads,  I am not sure how well Chelsea have done in the market this summer, but I am gonna go for Chelsea.

1) Chelsea
2) Man Utd
3) Man City
4) Spurs
5) Arsenal

let's see some predictions.

When we were looking at a replacement for Hodgson (I think it was or maybe before appointing Hodgson), Pellegrini was one of those in the frame that Dalglish was apparently charged with looking at.
I think the thing with Pellegrini is he's never had the chance at a club that had any realistic chance of winning anything, and like Moyes, his success was therefore always going to be relative.

I agree with you Dude that the top five, based on squad strength, and the relative experience/inexperience of the managers involved sort of pick themselves. Man City, despite having a manager new to the PL have strengthened a lot, as have Spurs. Chelsea already have a strong and reasonably settled squad and Mourinho will be a rare unifying force there.
Arsenal, although you could say that sooner or later their top four run will have to end, it's been proven time and again to be a false hope, and even if they don't strengthen this Summer, they were strong enough to finish well ahead of us last season, and by not adding to the squad means it is more settled, with everyone having played together and no new integration to be done. I think it's one of the reasons Arsenal have maintained the run as Wenger doesn't add too many each Summer meaning the squad remains reasonably settled with little or no integration of new players needing to be done.

I think it's impossible to make predictions yet about anybody. 10 games in is always a good point as the league has started to settled down and patterns start to evolve that remain pretty much throughout the season with only one or two deviations.

As far as we go if we don't strengthen the defensive side of our game we could remain in 6th-8th. Yesterday was one of those games where the keeper had a blinder, the woodwork interjected itself and more controlled finishing was required, but we kept the lead.
We need to make sure that in these sort of games where goals can be hard to come by despite the possession and chances created, that we are able to maintain a strong defensive performance as that will actually become the match winning factor.
We were fortunate to a degree that Mignolet's palm out fell to Huth (I think it was) rather than someone with more technical ability but we have to make sure we neither leak a soft goal when we've had the lion's share of the game or that we don't allow ourselves to be hit on the counter attack as Arsenal did against Villa.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2013, 11:54:58 PM »
I think it's all very well to speak of the resources
other clubs have and neglect the fact that we have
no European fixtures this season.

There are distractions for those clubs and sequences of fixtures
that we don't have.

Hence arguably they need deeper squad & a higher calibre of
player for the elite European competitions.

In other words, I think it's a bit misleading when the manager
equates our situation with that of other clubs. It's simply not the
case. The bitter pill of no European football should be compensated
for by better performance in the league, that would be considered
normal and expected. The problem arises if, in spite of the reduced
workload, the campaign still peters out early.

I'd argue that March was around the time to start assessing our season
& am expecting a battle to the wire with clubs such as Arsenal & Spurs.
It would be inconceivable for/difficult to justify another lesser club to appear
on the scene and be battling us in the latter stages of the season. The
goal should be to take out at least one of those clubs & unnerve the
other. Nonsense such as performance against top & bottom clubs & points
totals in periods of the season may be criteria in a debut season, but it neglects
the fact that we competed with nobody of any significance at any point
and in any competition last season.