September 21, 2019, 08:37:24 PM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 115314 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2013, 12:26:41 AM »
but it neglects
the fact that we competed with nobody of any significance at any point
and in any competition last season.

Damn, that makes very hard reading, but try as I might I find it very hard to argue with it.

I agree that the league has to be priority and that we should benefit (if that's the right word) from fewer games and no mid-week reactions from travelling to unpronounceable European destinations.
However, I don't want to see either cup taken lightly. Firstly, we are about silverware and having our name on as many trophies as many times as possible, and secondly, whilst our target I presume is 4th (from all the interviews I've read), we have to see both the League and FA Cups as a route into European competition, one that mustn't be overlooked in order to put all our eggs into one CL basket.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2013, 01:38:11 PM »
BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!! To all ye non believers ye shall be cast out and not spoken to by Martinmarx and Edward!!!!

Rodgers senses renewed Reds belief

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers claims there is a new camaraderie and togetherness in his squad.

The Reds started this campaign with a 1-0 win over Stoke - a stark contrast to last season's 3-0 defeat at the hands of West Brom.

The pre-season has also been dominated by uncertainty over Luis Suarez's future with the striker saying he wanted a move, but that situation appears to have resolved itself and Rodgers believes there is a positive new feeling in the club.

The ex-Swansea boss told the Reds' website: "I remember last year and people saying to me 'should we be losing 3-0 to West Brom?' They were absolutely right. (no shiite-ed)

"But we've got better and better as we've gone on. It's a big job here. But I just got the feeling in the dressing room beforehand, when the players were getting together, some of our staff were saying that it just feels different this year.

"There's a camaraderie and a togetherness there. Long may it continue.

"We haven't won the World Cup, it's a game of football. But the lads are happy, they've done their job. They knew this was a big three points."

http://www.lfconline.com/feat/ed11/rodgers_senses_renewed_reds_belief_803643/index.shtml

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2013, 03:33:10 PM »
Rodgers senses renewed Reds belief
Lol, first game of the season?

Just think, if he's saying that NOW, where he'll end up with
the rabbiting.

Sure, we could get off to a good start, some teams do, but the
league is not a sprint, it's a marathon. Calm Down Rodge.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2013, 09:59:56 PM »
Optimism - the only word allowed on Anfield Road Forum. Believe.

Realism and pessimism shall be punishable my being made to watch a constant loop of every single one of Roy's pre-match and post match interviews. Then ye shall be converted.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »
I'm a believer (Dude sings the Monkees hit).

Brent has been to the mountain-top, and has seen the promised land.

Who are we to argue, with the great man.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2013, 11:50:20 PM »
Good to see Borini and Kelly getting 90 mins for the U-21s tonight in a 4-2 victory away at the Mancs. Borini got half our goals. Hopefully that's a confidence booster for both of them, and Kelly played centre half.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 09:33:25 PM »
Looks like we're adding a new coach to the U-18s setup:

Liverpool close in on Crewe Alexandra academy director

Crewe Alexandra academy director Neil Critchley is set to leave the Gresty Road club in order to join Premier League side Liverpool, according to the Crewe Chronicle.

The 34-year-old who himself graduated from the Crewe Alex academy, has been offered the role of under-18's manager.

Critchley is unlikely to turn down such an offer despite two decades with the Railwaymen as both a player and coach.

One of just 16 FA Elite Coaches in the country, Critchley is very highly-rated in the game after learning his trade under the guidance of the likes of Dario Gradi and Steve Holland.

The Crewe Alex coach is officially among the most advanced in Europe after graduating from the continent’s first ever Elite Coaches Award course.

Critchley was among just 16 from across the country to be handpicked by the FA to attend the course – the first of its kind under UEFA.

The South Cheshire club had two other young coaches selected for the course, academy director James Collins and Elite Player Performance Plan co-ordinator Michael Jolley also represented the South Cheshire club.

The qualification is equal to the UEFA Pro Licence for managers – the highest possible in the game. After 18 months of hard work the trio recently graduated, inspiring Liverpool to approach Critchley for the job.

Crewe chronicle sports editor @ThePeterMorse tweeted: "BREAKING: #CreweAlex academy director Neil Critchley looks set to join Liverpool staff. #LFC"

Critchley is expected to be announced as the U18's boss within the next few weeks, which will leave a huge void at the helm of the Crewe academy.

Fellow academy director James Collins will stay in charge of the Crewe operation, with a new face expected to be added to the coaching staff in the coming weeks.

Alex manager Steve Davis said: “It looks like Neil is moving on to Liverpool under 18s, he told me he had been approached. I imagine he is considering a fantastic offer and opportunity to go to Liverpool.

“He will be a great loss to us because he is a great lad, and a great servant to the club. He has done a brilliant job with the young players who have come through. I’ve a lot of time and respect for Neil and we all wish him well.

“It is not a negative thing, it is a real positive that one of our bright young coaches is considered by Brendan Rodgers.

“For him to get noticed by one of the top clubs in the country is of great benefit to us, it shows where the academy is.”

http://www.givemesport.com/370670-liverpool-close-in-on-crewe-alexandra-academy-director

Talking of Crewe, we ought to approach Dario Gradi and offer him a place on the board. He is exactly the sort of 'football man' we need on the board. Massive experience at all aspects of running a football club, with particular skill in developing talent. He's exactly the sort of experienced knowledge base and 'eyes' the board needs if we're going to go down the route of buying and developing players. I can but dream.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2013, 03:55:01 PM »
you're talking too much sense there, Tes.

Dario Gradi is a football man, who would come cheap, knows the game inside out, and would be loyal to the death (like aldridge or roy evans).

ye cannae have those sorts about Anfield.

but on a serious note - isn't it such a crying shame that people like Gradi, who can bring a wealth of experience, always are forgotten about and neglected when it comes to backroom jobs at top clubs.

instead we see ex-players who have just quit the game, getting jobs at top clubs. 

These management and coaching youngsters know precious little about talent or coaching talent. 

In the modern era, it is seemingly all about badges, certificates and media presence.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »
In the modern era, it is seemingly all about badges, certificates and media presence.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2013, 07:38:18 PM »
you're talking too much sense there, Tes.

Dario Gradi is a football man, who would come cheap, knows the game inside out, and would be loyal to the death (like aldridge or roy evans).

ye cannae have those sorts about Anfield.

but on a serious note - isn't it such a crying shame that people like Gradi, who can bring a wealth of experience, always are forgotten about and neglected when it comes to backroom jobs at top clubs.

instead we see ex-players who have just quit the game, getting jobs at top clubs. 

These management and coaching youngsters know precious little about talent or coaching talent. 

Someone like Gradi should have been given the job (head of football development, or whatever the title was) that Trevor Brooking was given. As cultured a player as he was, what experience does he have of player development?

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2013, 10:50:51 PM »
"But I don't want to be defeatist."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/22/liverpool-real-madrid-transfer-luis-suarez

About bloody time he said it.

We're a club who's won 5 European Cups, it wasn't EASY,
but we did it. We quietly went about our business in the
face of great odds and succeeded where nobody expected
us to on the greatest footballing stages of Europe against their
richest clubs.

Has it taken him this long to figure out what we're about?

Either summon the spirit of the club or move on, we're talking
about 4th here, not the title or CL.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 12:45:30 AM »
Exactly. The likes of us and Cloughie's Forest focused on ourselves and ourselves only. Time spent looking enviously at others (how some of the manager's words to me come across) is time not spent focusing on what we need.

I think Willian was overpriced considering his goal record and we need all our attacking players weighing in with goals, especially if the defence  doesn't get strengthened.

Anzi have spent crazy sums of money on players and are now expecting clubs to give them their money back.

I'd rather we spent no more money than bought the wrong player and just for the sake of making 'a big money signing'. We've wasted far too much since 1990 on the wrong players.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 07:52:13 AM »
Exactly. The likes of us and Cloughie's Forest focused on ourselves and ourselves only. Time spent looking enviously at others (how some of the manager's words to me come across) is time not spent focusing on what we need.

I think Willian was overpriced considering his goal record and we need all our attacking players weighing in with goals, especially if the defence  doesn't get strengthened.

Anzi have spent crazy sums of money on players and are now expecting clubs to give them their money back.

I'd rather we spent no more money than bought the wrong player and just for the sake of making 'a big money signing'. We've wasted far too much since 1990 on the wrong players.

I would agree with that wholeheartedly. In that sense I can't have any complaints about how we fared in the transfer market thus far given our current predicament of not being able to offer European footy. I would also like to commend Brendan and his team for their recent signings. Sturride, Coutinho, Toure, Aspas (who had a very good competetive debut), Mignolet. You'd have to go back to the golden 80's to match that IMHO.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2013, 05:07:24 PM »

Maybe Tes, only watched the first half of Stoke game & wasn't
particularly impressed.

My fear is that we aint done enough to put some distance between us
& a lesser club that has made some shrewd acquisitions over the Summer.

Ideally we'd have that cushion there that would give us a platform to attack
Spurs & Arsenal without having to look over our shoulder.

Our goal this season seems a bit vague to me still. Realistically we should single
out one of Arsenal & Spurs (whichever seems more vulnerable) and aim to overtake
them. In our current predicament, I don't buy into totting up the points at the end
of the season and see where we stand.

I think we should be looking at things more along the lines of Arsenal lost at the weekend
so it's necessary that we win (kind of the way you would in a title race) 'cos otherwise the
notion for young players that we should win every game cos were Liverpool loses a bit
of its motivational impact i.e. it should be more a case of we really really need to win tonight
because...

Above everything else this season should be about battling and competing, going head to head
with the opposition (Spurs, Arsenal) for 38 games.

If we see that i.e. a team that goes to WHL or the Emirates, doesn't give an inch, takes the 3
as opposed to settling for a draw, I think that 's the real sign of progress. A
motivated, battle-ready, mentally tough outfit that gets the business done and thrives as underdog.
Jesus, if I have to spend the season listening to us whine on about hitting the post, having
loads of chances, dominating possession etc.. Real teams know that hitting the post is meaningless,
you need to go back up & stick it in the net.

It's actually one of the reasons I get frustrated with Rodge, his emphasis is on magicians & technicians,
Rafa's at the beginning was more mentality & character. Hence looking at the squad vs Stoke my heart
sank, too many immature players (some of them quite old) who think that they do a bit of trickery, hit the
post & that's their job done, not enough characters in there imo.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2013, 09:58:10 PM »
We have further building to do, I don't think there's any argument there, I'm just very uncomfortable with the idea of 'marquee signings' or us spending, what for us is pretty much our entire budget on Willian.

Of the teams that finished above us last season, only Everton and Arsenal appear remotely vulnerable.

Arsenal's run of selling players and still finishing in the top four can't continue. Spurs, though finishing a point behind them, looked the more impressive team over the season, last season, and their business this Summer has set them up nicely to mount a sustained attack on the top four, fourth or third is a possibility.

As for Everton, it depends if Martinez tries to change things too quickly and/or how they adjust to his ways and tactics.

At the moment we could as easily be looking over our shoulder as upwards, on that I definitely agree, which is why I'd prefer to see any further transfer spending be focused on the defensive side and to make sure we don't suffer from a Lucas sized hole like we did over the last two seasons.

I like your idea of targeting a team if that's possible. Whilst Arsenal got off to a bad start they will be there around 5th/6th/7th when the league settles down and having gained three points on them and two on Everton, that advantage needs to be built on directly.

I agree with you that the likes of Chelsea, City, Moyes' mob and even Spurs look to be a challenge too far, even if we do strengthen further, and experience is certainly something we have haemorrhaged over the last two years. Leadership in defence, an organising force would be a huge addition.  We also lack experience off the bench, a bit of know how when things aren't quite going our way.

Rodgers thankfully has nailed his colours to fourth. I think that needs spelling out to all the players. No more "do what we can, and let's see where it gets us". The players need to know the definition of failure, and have it clearly spelled out for them. And let's see less of our players' words in print this season, just get on and show us, and leave the talking in the dressing room.