October 01, 2020, 08:19:06 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 205695 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #360 on: December 17, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »
We shall see about City. I still don't think they're on the same level they were some 2 years ago where they combined individual quality with composure and urgency. Yes, Spurs were aweful but we should take pride from the fact we made tham look that bad. We managed to pull off the performance of the season when we needed it the most and it isn't beyond me, knock on wood an'all, we can keep this level of focus and energy for a couple of more games. It really is, in my book anyway, extremly important we keep the focus on Cardiff now. If we do that we have 4 wins on the trot meaning one point from the games against City and the Chavs wouldn't be a complete disaster.

Come on you redmen!

yes, very important to beat Cardiff.

shouldn't be that difficult - they have a poor away record.

if we get an early goal, we could score a few.

BUT, if Cardiff get their tactics right and frustrate us, then we will need to change things in order to make a breakthrough.  This is where we often struggle (changing things).

An interesting two weeks ahead - visiting chelsea (26th) and city (29th).

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:14:04 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 17, 2013, 06:11:08 PM »
With work and family committments I've been restrained to be so and so updated on the PL only over the last couple of years. What's your take on those two players? Are they ready to step in and make an immidiate impact or will they need a year of gelling?

Well M'Vila over the last few years has gone off the boil. He was red hot a few years ago with Real, Barca, Man U and Arsenal interested in him. I'd say its sufficient to say he definitely stagnated by Rennes too long and whilst he moved to Rubin Kazan this year it may have rekindled him to improve.

I'd say M'Vila could make an immediate impact however it depends if he integrates well with the team. His physicality and power plus technique would be obvious assets. Not too sure about his passing game though. He is very good friends with Sakho, so if he did come then he'd at least have a mate to help him.

In regards to Salah this is what someone said about him last year "Salah is a huge talent who's stepped up in the big champions league games.

However, week in week out in the Swiss league he is very very inconsistent. He'll drift out of most games. Speed is his biggest asset, but he severely lacks any end product. Think Aaron Lennon. The times Salah failed to score after his extra bit of speed put him one-on-one with the keeper or even in front of an empty net, I stopped counting. It's nearly become a running joke.

He WILL start putting those chances away eventually. He's only 21, time is on his side."

From his CL appearances this season it seems like he's slightly improved in terms of consistency. I would say he'd be an upgrade on Moses but with a much higher ceiling.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 18, 2013, 07:20:49 AM »
yes, very important to beat Cardiff.

shouldn't be that difficult - they have a poor away record.

if we get an early goal, we could score a few.

BUT, if Cardiff get their tactics right and frustrate us, then we will need to change things in order to make a breakthrough.  This is where we often struggle (changing things).

An interesting two weeks ahead - visiting chelsea (26th) and city (29th).

It's getting better tho. Everton away he changed things to see us earn a point. An early goal against Cardiff would set us up nicely. Need to keep the focus and energy level from last weekend.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 20, 2013, 03:44:16 PM »
The striker, who has scored 17 goals in 11 appearances this season, said: "I am delighted to have agreed a new deal with Liverpool and have my future secured for the long term.

"We have some great players and the team is growing and improving all the time. I believe I can achieve the ambitions of winning trophies and playing at the very highest level with Liverpool. My aim is to help get us there as quickly as possible.

"Without doubt the backing I have received from the Liverpool fans has influenced my decision. I am so proud to represent them and go out to do my best for them every time I pull on the shirt. We have a special relationship; they have love for me and in return I love them back. I will always do my best for them and hopefully we can achieve success together."

what fantastic news!

we have a genuinely world class player sign a contract to be at Liverpool until 2018.

top top news.

delighted to see the club move so fast on this issue - and delighted that the player was so keen to sign.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 20, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »

what fantastic news!

we have a genuinely world class player sign a contract to be at Liverpool until 2018.

top top news.

delighted to see the club move so fast on this issue - and delighted that the player was so keen to sign.

I couldn't agree more Dude. Absofuckinglutely fantastic news!!!! Well done to Henry, Ayre, Rodgers and the rest for handling this so quickly. Surely the monstrous weekly fee played it's part but I do have a feeling Suarez would also ask for quarantees the club is willing to strengthen the squad. Maybe we have a marquee signing already tied up? I mean a week ago noone saw this one coming. Here's hoping!

Please top this off with a great performance tomorrow!

Come on you redmen!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 20, 2013, 05:58:29 PM »
I couldn't agree more Dude. Absofuckinglutely fantastic news!!!! Well done to Henry, Ayre, Rodgers and the rest for handling this so quickly. Surely the monstrous weekly fee played it's part but I do have a feeling Suarez would also ask for quarantees the club is willing to strengthen the squad. Maybe we have a marquee signing already tied up? I mean a week ago noone saw this one coming. Here's hoping!

Please top this off with a great performance tomorrow!

Come on you redmen!

I wonder Martin, if there are clauses in the new contract that let him leave if we do not qualify for the CL, and most likely a fixed buy-out clause (e.g. 100 million quid).

None-the-less, he is ours.  If Madrid do come calling in future summers, they are going to have to pay a king's ransom.

I hope this superb news, with this bumper pay rise, will motivate him to run rampant against Cardiff tomorrow.

I will predict 4-1   (assuming we can get an earlish goal, and force Cardiff to come out of their shells)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 20, 2013, 07:46:25 PM »
£200k p/w.

There is no release clause in the contract however if we miss out on top 4 then we wouldn't stand in his way if we get a respectable and acceptable offer from an overseas club. Suarez deserves to play in CL.

But like we were fucked over by Real over Mcmanaman and Owen we won't be with Suarez.

Also another important thing is that Rodgers contact only has 18 months left.........So we need to get that sorted in the summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 20, 2013, 08:04:54 PM »
I wonder Martin, if there are clauses in the new contract that let him leave if we do not qualify for the CL, and most likely a fixed buy-out clause (e.g. 100 million quid).

None-the-less, he is ours.  If Madrid do come calling in future summers, they are going to have to pay a king's ransom.

I hope this superb news, with this bumper pay rise, will motivate him to run rampant against Cardiff tomorrow.

I will predict 4-1   (assuming we can get an earlish goal, and force Cardiff to come out of their shells)

I concur Dude....no Champs league and i think he'll be gone at a premium in the summer...

if our owners are wise then we have to buy a coutinho/sturridge equivalent aka class in january..a top class midfielder at least....

think it might be 2-0 though against cardiff though...i ain't got the faith and belief yet...and thus still wary...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 20, 2013, 11:43:08 PM »
I think there's two clauses in the contract - one around 40 or slightly less if we fail 4th, one around 80 if we reach 4th. I am sure Suarez and his representatives have seen the strides this club's taken over the last calender year (if we beat Cardiff tomorrow we've picked up 75 points from the last 38 games). Again, I do hope the promise of significant reinforcements in January besides his 67 % pay rise was part of the parcel that persuaded Suarez to sign.

Early goal yes, I'd hate to see us go in to the last quarter of the game at 0-0 as that may trigger a stressful reaction that can see us commit stupid mistakes. But I feel more and more those days are behind us now and we're in such good form that if we stay focused Cardiff shouldn't be a problem.

And I agree Ed they need to hand Rodgers an extention. But maybe they've reached an agreement in principle he'll get Another 4 years if he takes us to 4th?

Come on you redmen!!!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:44:20 PM by Martinmarx »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 21, 2013, 11:44:34 AM »
I concur Dude....no Champs league and i think he'll be gone at a premium in the summer...

if our owners are wise then we have to buy a coutinho/sturridge equivalent aka class in january..a top class midfielder at least....

think it might be 2-0 though against cardiff though...i ain't got the faith and belief yet...and thus still wary...

yes, and with a tight race for the CL spots, Bart, it would be easy to miss out.   But I hope any clause merely allows the bids to open at that price. 

but we seem to be constantly linked to top forwards - making me sometimes suspect that we are preparing for his departure come the summer.

Suarez, when he arrived, was a world class chance creator (he could create things out of nothing).   But his game has moved up a notch - to the point where he is now also a world class chance taker.  One of his goals against Spurs (the first one) was truly top notch finishing.  He is a workaholic - and is always first to react to situations.  He is a world class reader and predictor of the game.

If we can add to the team (as you say), a top class midfielder (we are linked heavily with that Croatian lad,, the captain of Sevilla) and that Egyptian winger (looks awesome on youtube), then why shouldn't we start believing that a title might be there for the taking. 

But we know a lot more by the end of this Christmas programme of games.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 21, 2013, 01:35:30 PM »
Once the goal went in...we've been pretty good...Suarez is bloody awesome..Sterling and Henderson are reborn...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 21, 2013, 01:40:56 PM »
awesome.

Suarez is the best player in the world right now.

We might be in the running here for a record we might not care for - last week we cost the Spurs boss his job.   This week, we may well see the Cardiff boss getting his P45 too.

make no mistake, the football we are playing these past couple of weeks, is title winning form. 

without Gerrard, we are totally fluid.  Stunning football.  We may be weakish at the back, but we are simply far too dangerous going forward for nearly every other team.

I have memories of Maradona hauling Napoli to the Italian title in the 80s. 

Suarez is similarly taking Liverpool to amazing heights.

If we can keep this work-rate up for the next 5 months - and keep Suarez fit (and Gerrard unfit), we could well win our first ever premiership title.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 21, 2013, 01:43:22 PM »
Once the goal went in...we've been pretty good...Suarez is bloody awesome..Sterling and Henderson are reborn...

agreed, Bart.

and I also thought the new French defender, Sakho, had an excellent half.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 21, 2013, 02:37:39 PM »
Great result...personally i think the second half did us good and gave us a big dose of realism...Cardiff much better in the second half but we handled it fairly well..and at least we're not going into the game against City all giddy and getting ahead of ourselves. 

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 21, 2013, 02:45:25 PM »
Great result...personally i think the second half did us good and gave us a big dose of realism...Cardiff much better in the second half but we handled it fairly well..and at least we're not going into the game against City all giddy and getting ahead of ourselves.

we tend to tail off in second halfs.   I suppose we cannot be expected keep up that pace and work-rate for an entire game.

skytrel very lucky not to have given away penalties in this game.

defensively still suspect.  Allen is a weak link (embarrassingly bad at times).   He offers no threat whatsoever to the opponent's goal.

but lots to be very happy about.

if we can play as we can - and keep up that work rate, we are gonna challenge for the title.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:46:43 PM by the dude abides »