September 17, 2019, 05:20:37 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 114964 times)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #855 on: May 11, 2014, 05:14:31 PM »
We'll come back better and stronger.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 11, 2014, 06:02:35 PM »
:-[

another mere three points was all we needed

e.g.   beating Chelsea's second-string outfit at Anfield.

OR

drawing with Chelsea; and not throwing away our victory at Palace.

Sorry, but I can't help but feel, that we totally fecked up.

Ah well, another year goes by....24 years now. 

It's the hope that kills you.

It's why I've said before about 'learning to challenge'. 5 points clear of Chelsea. Two wins and a draw were enough. 87 points. City 74 points, with 4 games left. Maximum attainable 86 points. It's all about 'managing' those 3 games.

But we didn't lose it in the last three games, but collectively over 38. Villa at home, not turning up at the KC stadium, drawing games when we were leading. Next season the players need to understand that every game is vital, not just the last half dozen. Games in October and November are as vital as those in April and May.

Hopefully everybody learns. It was interesting to see them just play out the added minutes today by just trying to keep the ball, and ensure the victory.

Congratulations to Skrtel. You're catching up Carra's record of own goals.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 11, 2014, 06:27:12 PM »

If lessons are learned and truths are faced, I'm sure we will.

We have to make a much better fist of this window than the last two Summers. Forget the big names, the right names are more important. There are quite a few players out there like Sturridge and Coutinho, and indeed Henderson, just needing the right platform on which to perform and a manager with the desire to enable those performances.

No one season wonders, no last minute panicky overpaying like we did with Sakho, but Brendan's has had his team of scouts and 'commissioners' (the owners', not Brendan's) there for more than a season and so hopefully our plans for this Summer have been a season in the making.

Next season's target surely has to be establish ourselves in the Top 3, despite City and Chelsea's spending, Wenger doing his annual rabbit trick and the Mancs having no European football. Spurs should be a bigger threat and Everton will also have to have an eye kept on them.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 11, 2014, 06:59:01 PM »
:-[

another mere three points was all we needed

e.g.   beating Chelsea's second-string outfit at Anfield.

OR

drawing with Chelsea; and not throwing away our victory at Palace.

Sorry, but I can't help but feel, that we totally fecked up.

Ah well, another year goes by....24 years now. 

It's the hope that kills you.

I know I go totally against  the grain (that's why i don't really post anymore).

I remember noting on here years ago that nobody gives you the title,
you have to take it. It's why I loved the competitive spirit of Ayrton Senna and
the Liverpool teams of old.

It's why I loved Roy Keane's attitude to the league reducing to a turf war between
gangs.

It seemed to me that everything I used hammer on here about being wrong with
the current set-up came to the fore and crystalised itself in the last few weeks of
the campaign. A bizarre perfect storm of sorts.

I could go off on a rant now, but I won't. Instead, I'll simply point to the Chelsea game,
the matesy vibe on the touchline between Rodgers and Mourinho. Who did that suit?
and then of course we have the scene at the end of Mourinho beating his chest in
celebration...on our turf??

You see, you have to take the title, nobody gives it to you.

Anyway, I'm under no illusions how we got to where we were this season, ditching cup
campaigns, no Europe or United, Mourinho's first season back. Well at least Brendan got
his contract extension to 2018...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 12, 2014, 09:58:09 PM »

We most certainly will! I am at peace and proud over what we achieved this season. You can see the sigh of relief from many corners after we lost to Chelsea. That proves, at least to me, there's a fear out there the red giant is slowly rising.

To take us this far in such a short space of time is nothing short of remarkable.

We're on our way to glory. He built the team like Shankly did, the kids will have a story.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 13, 2014, 12:13:58 AM »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 13, 2014, 09:29:50 AM »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 13, 2014, 04:43:07 PM »
Next season should be interesting.
Citeh will be the chief concern as they will continue to strengthen.
Chelsea will buy wonder players and still play crap football but i have a feeling that if they don't start well then Mourinho may not last.
Arsenal will be more of a challenge because surely they can't continue with the injury voodoo hoodoo.
Everton will probably get a few good loans and probably be fifth or sixth again.
Spurs will need to bed the players in again but under Sherwood they were quite a decent prem side.
Finally we come to manure. All of their fans are crowing already that they don't have the Europa league and so will repeat what Liverpool did this season, there's only one problem with that, they'll have a new manager unused to the premier league (Van gaal i guess) and they'll have to replace a shed load of players (4 defenders, 3 midfielders) and make them play in the way he likes. That is not going to be overnight and especially so close to the World Cup. We had a fairly established team this season with at least half of last season playing together.
Should be interesting, let's just hope we sort our fecking defence out!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 13, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »
Next season should be interesting.
Citeh will be the chief concern as they will continue to strengthen.
Chelsea will buy wonder players and still play crap football but i have a feeling that if they don't start well then Mourinho may not last.
Arsenal will be more of a challenge because surely they can't continue with the injury voodoo hoodoo.
Everton will probably get a few good loans and probably be fifth or sixth again.
Spurs will need to bed the players in again but under Sherwood they were quite a decent prem side.
Finally we come to manure. All of their fans are crowing already that they don't have the Europa league and so will repeat what Liverpool did this season, there's only one problem with that, they'll have a new manager unused to the premier league (Van gaal i guess) and they'll have to replace a shed load of players (4 defenders, 3 midfielders) and make them play in the way he likes. That is not going to be overnight and especially so close to the World Cup. We had a fairly established team this season with at least half of last season playing together.
Should be interesting, let's just hope we sort our fecking defence out!
flect my own.

And most important of all - we got Brendan Rodgers. Other than that I think your sentiments reflect my own.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 13, 2014, 11:21:57 PM »

;D

reminded me of:

"Steve Austin, astronaut. A man barely alive.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

We have the capability to make the world's first bionic man.

Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before.

Better...stronger...faster."
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 15, 2014, 03:37:35 PM »
;D

reminded me of:

"Steve Austin, astronaut. A man barely alive.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

We have the capability to make the world's first bionic man.

Steve Austin will be that man. Better than he was before.

Better...stronger...faster."

But his bionics always made a strange sound when they engaged. It was a good job all the villains were stone deaf. As a kid, I never understood how the 'baddies' couldn't hear him when I could. Even Blue 'here's one I did earlier' Peter and Why don't you, couldn't fix him. Obviously bionics have no used for Mum's squeezy liquid bottle, 'but only when she's finished with it'. It was a subliminal campaign to encourage kids to wash up for their parents in order to try and speed up the bottle being empty.

I just tipped it down the toilet and kept get my @ss washed up you flushed the toilet before getting off. The joys of childhood.  ;D 

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 24, 2015, 08:01:00 PM »
Even at the end of last season, you could never get me
to utter a positive word about Rodgers  :P

Anyway, I'm under no illusions how we got to where we were this season, ditching cup
campaigns, no Europe or United, Mourinho's first season back. Well at least Brendan got
his contract extension to 2018...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 24, 2015, 08:22:56 PM »
Even at the end of last season, you could never get me
to utter a positive word about Rodgers  :P

We're back in that same boat. At least Brendan has left the new manager a more clear calender having saved him from the distraction of any European football, and free to concentrate on getting our bread and butter sorted out, hopefully.