December 13, 2019, 11:33:44 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 153506 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2013, 12:57:58 AM »
Agreed Tes. A goal or two could change everything for Aspas. He was poor on Saturday but he was also probably treated like a bit of a scapegoat by being subbed at half time. It could have easily been 6 other players but he just seems to be the easy one to take off.

There was one piece of link up play with Sturridge (I think it was) where he received the ball, turned his man and then slipped a lovely weighted pass into Sturridge.

I think if our play was flowing rather than juddering it would enable him to settle quicker and contribute much more.
I agree he was no more or less the obvious candidate to come off and as we weren't blessed with options on the bench, then keeping him on the pitch would be more beneficial to his form and confidence.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2013, 01:27:12 AM »
From: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/22/liverpool-southampton-premier-league

On the summer transfer policy Rodgers said: "We were on the look-out for a No10 but we were unable to get one."

During that same transfer window he said more than once that he wanted a left sided forward so he could move Coutinho to be our no 10, and just last week he stated that Coutinho was one of the best no 10s in the league.

Maybe that's an insight into why the Summer window appeared to be rather muddled and haphazard. I appreciate bringing in players for the future but our budget isn't one where we can build for the present (as we still need to do) and pick up players for the future also.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2013, 01:48:52 AM »
Southampton were all over us like a rash from our kick out alright. I think the fact that our defense was so unfamiliar probably added to the sense of uncertainty. I dont necessarily think we've being found out but its definitely something that needs to be addressed.

As for our plan A, at the moment it just doesnt look like its being incorporated effectively yet this season. We had only managed to play well in patches up to yesterday without showing the type of football we watched in the second half of last season. I assumed there would be a marked improvement in performance starting yesterday but such hope went out the window with the line up. It will be interesting to see how we respond over the next five games in the league. They could define how our season will take shape. If we can pull things together and start a new run of wins yesterday will prove to be a blip. Dropping more points in the same fashion as yesterday could see us struggle. We cant afford to start playing catch up this early.
Luis coming back will put the frighteners on a lot of teams methinks.
They can ill-afford to be too confident in defence and may sit back more as
the nature of the disturbance he creates ripples into midfield. In both
the Swansea & Southampton game it was apparent to me that the teams
were too comfortable containing our threat going forward and used it
as a launch pad to gain a foothold. We need to suck their players back
into their own half and then just patrol the counter.

I'd say simply that we didn't look remotely like a team yesterday &
yes the nature of changes hardly helped matters at the back. Further
forward you take out our number 1 provider Coutinho and all of a sudden
we're exposed and the balance is upset by a certain one-dimensionality in
Sturridge's role as number 1 consumer - lad needs to learn how to pass!

But having said that, Lee Dixon foresaw problems (as I'm sure did many others)
as soon as he saw the teamsheet. So I wouldn't exonerate the gaffer and
was less than impressed with his managing of the situation.

From: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/22/liverpool-southampton-premier-league

On the summer transfer policy Rodgers said: "We were on the look-out for a No10 but we were unable to get one."
Did he try hard enough for Eriksen??
Sure he was saying the other day that the defence was sorted for the next
ten years and then it becomes the root cause of failure in the next game?

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2013, 11:51:22 AM »
I'm very optimistic and probably just hopeful too that yesterday was nothing more than once off bad decision making from the gaffer and a bad day at the office for the players. You will hear talk of a reaction now, with the United game seen as a perfect opportunity. But for me the reaction needs to be winning the next 3 league games to prove we do mean business and this start wasnt down to luck and a favorable fixture list.

Totally agree there Juan. A proper reaction would be 10  points from our next 4 games. Having said that, it is a bit unfortunate though that Di Canio got the sack this weekend rather than next. Teams with a new manager always seem to react positively, so in that sense this will probably the toughest game of the season to play the Black Cats at the Stadium of Light.

What Brendan really really needs to do know is to take out the squad sheet, name his no. 1 CB-pair and stick with it. IMHO, he should go for Toure and Sakho. Agger messed up yet again (2nd time this season) and Skrtel showed incredible incompetence (again) in the situation that led to the corner.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2013, 08:53:30 PM »
Having said that, it is a bit unfortunate though that Di Canio got the sack this weekend rather than next. Teams with a new manager always seem to react positively, so in that sense this will probably the toughest game of the season to play the Black Cats at the Stadium of Light.

Martin, it's probably better for us this way. There can be no complacency about an easy 3 points against one of this season's (so far) whipping boys. The last thing we need is this group of players thinking 'it will be an easier game' and they've to only turn up.
They really need to focus and try and get things to click. It's been a slow start to the season and they've escaped with getting maximum points from the first three games and only conceding one against Southampton.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2013, 12:15:39 AM »
I hope we put out the strongest possible team on Wednesday night. Forget what competition it is, we need to bounce back from that woeful defeat and display, and also make sure it doesn't become three games without a win, that's without considering the opposition.

This is where the lack of depth of cover for Lucas and Gerrard will hamstring us. Ideally both play in this game, then one gets rested for the next league game, with the other being rested for the game after.

Maybe he thinks he can do that by bringing in Allen for both of them alternatively. He should be able to. Sunderland away and Palace at home shouldn't be the two most testing games of the season, but with Coutinho missing and most of our creativity it seems with him, suddenly goals are going to be at a premium, and therefore keeping them out takes on even greater importance than it would otherwise do. 

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2013, 05:11:55 PM »
Martin, it's probably better for us this way. There can be no complacency about an easy 3 points against one of this season's (so far) whipping boys. The last thing we need is this group of players thinking 'it will be an easier game' and they've to only turn up.
They really need to focus and try and get things to click. It's been a slow start to the season and they've escaped with getting maximum points from the first three games and only conceding one against Southampton.

We shall see. My experience tells me a side with a newly appointed manager usually gets a massive energy injection that may last for a couple of rounds. But as you say, it's pretty much down to us to get a result. Maybe the return of Suarez will go some way to mitigate whatever positive they get from their new manager. I would also agree about our slow start to the season bar, possibly, the Stoke game, where I thought we did enough to be up at least 3-0 before their penalty kick.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2013, 05:13:41 PM »
I hope we put out the strongest possible team on Wednesday night.

Me too, if only to increase our chances of winning the game and pile pressure on Moyes. I don't think losing to us twice in less than 3 weeks and twice in 3 days will go down well with the OT faithful.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2013, 03:32:09 AM »
Me too, if only to increase our chances of winning the game and pile pressure on Moyes. I don't think losing to us twice in less than 3 weeks and twice in 3 days will go down well with the OT faithful.
Nah, we need to get a result in the game to keep alive an opportunity
of qualifying for Europe i.e. the priority is progression to the next round of
the competition. Beating Utd. in a early round of the cup is a bonus, puts
a smile on the face.

Moyes is an irrelevance to us, any short-term pain he endures may be of
interest to City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc., who might be poised to take advantage
of it this season.

Just to re-iterate, our goal this season is to get top 4 - would take a miracle but hey!
Failing that, our goal is to qualify for the Europa League by winning a cup or
through the league position - sad but true.
Additionally we'll try to win the 2 cup competitions we're in.

Based on this analysis, should we lose tomorrow our opportunity for silverware
this season will be halved & entry to Europe next season made less likely though
not impossible. So for these reasons it's probably more important that we win, though
I'm sure both teams will try to win and Wazza was saying something about it being
a chance for redemption for them on the back of the City mauling.

I still think that Rodgers would view this trophy plus a very respectable league campaign
as success, so the damage done to us for this season would be greater (Moyes may
ultimately be more concerned this season with getting out of the CL group stages).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2013, 10:32:56 AM »
We definitely owe Moyes one from when Everton knocked us out of the FA Cup, but the immediate priority is to make sure we don't make it 3 games without a win and we start to develop some sort of form.

And the bigger picture is that we need to win this competition to assure ourselves of European football next season. That is vital.
If we lose, as Ed says, we halve our chance of a trophy, and we reduce by a third our chances of seeing European football at Anfield next season. Not being in the CL has harmed Spurs ability to attract players much less than us not being in Europe at all has harmed ours.
We may look down on the Europa League in this country (I can't understand why), but other European countries and players from other countries, rightfully take it seriously and understand that playing European football is important.

Bob Paisley wasn't deterred by an ugly trophy and a stupid name when winning the Milk Cup for the first years of it's re-branding, so why should we be turning our noses up at any silverware.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2013, 09:50:30 PM »
Disappointing result, encouraging performance in many aspects. It's obvious we're on a goal drought and gets nothing for free. Two hits in the woodwork and a few good chances created is defenitely a step forward from the last 2 games. I also thought we had the best or 2nd best 2nd half this season. Our passing game was sublime at times. A tad sloppy goal to concede but anyone who ever played a game of footy knows you're vulnerable in the opening minute of a game/half.

Player rating:

Mignolet 8: Did very well on Rooney's very well taken shots. Isn't as comfortable with the ball at his feet as Reina, but then again, who is? Best shot stopper in the PL?

Toure 7: Made no errors but we miss Johnson's offensive qualities.

Skrtel 7: Deffo an improvement on the So'ton game.

Sakho 6: Looks a bit error prone at times but looks a monster tackler. Will come a great signing.

Enrique 6: At fault for their goal but did a good job defensively over all. Too many errors in the forward direction.

Henderson 5: Offers next to nothing and really had a poor finishing 20. Needs to rest a few games me thinks.

Gerrard 4: Looks jaded, almost ill, if not uninterested. Something's not right with our captain and I think he too needs a rest.

Lucas 6: Started very well but faded. Failed as per usual to offer leadership and help us get a grip of the game.

Moses 6: Was involved in som of our better attacks but seem to struggle to find his position.

Sturridge 6: I don't know. Maybe this is the real Sturridge we've seen the last 2 games. He struggles though. No doubt about it.

Suarez 8: You have to give him an 8 just for that extra energy he brings to the team. Not unexpectedly he faded after 65. It'll probably be November Before he's back to full match fitness.

All in all a step in the right direction. If we can build on the opening 65 minutes we should be able to get a good result at the Stadium of light.

Johnson and Coutinho can't return soon enough.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2013, 10:02:31 PM »
All in all a step in the right direction.
The direction of not winning a trophy this season?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2013, 11:37:32 PM »
For reasons best known and kept within the manager's office, Gerrard and Lucas have no cover what so ever in the squad. That's two of the core players, two crucial positions if we our to improve on last season's defending, who are going to be expected to play ever game this season without a rest, avoiding both injury and suspension.
I guess the silver lining where they are concerned from tonight is that there is nothing but league games now until January to add to any international appearances they may have to make.

Does anybody know whether we are supposed to be man-marking or zonally marking at set pieces?

We need a defensive coach because quite honestly our defending will see us struggle to climb two places to fifth, nevermind fourth, and this was the best opportunity out of the three (5th place being the third and hardest to achieve) to qualify for European football as so many clubs would be playing weakened or radically changed teams.

It's bitterly disappointing to have lost to what is a 'not much better than average' team under Moyes. He's blunted their attacking thrust more than any opposition manager has been able to do in the last 25 years.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 29, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
Expecting a victory today (c'mon the Black Cats are
bottom with no manager! - disarray). Need one, or what seemed
a good start to the league (if disastrous Capital One campaign
is excluded) will revert to an ok one.

Sad to see Gerrard anchoring another Away midfield though
(he needs to hold onto possession today!), would prefer the
boss to let Hendo run that show - he showed at Old Trafford
that he has the dynamism needed for away games.

Expecting to see Luis on the scoresheet - can't keep him down
for long and he was unlucky at OT.

3-0! & a much needed boost to our top 4 campaign!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 29, 2013, 06:52:45 PM »
Disappointing first 30 minutes. I thought we responded well in the 2nd half and although they clawed a goal back we played our best 2nd half of the season.

Suarez' return's a massive massive boost for the team. But please Rodgers you need to rest Henderson he's so poor it's unbelieveable in the forward direction.

Well done red men!!!  :)