December 07, 2019, 04:50:42 PM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 152724 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2013, 07:47:32 PM »
Good result and we played in part quite well...in other parts we weren't so good and the midfield ain't good at all...luckily we have suarez and sturridge who are pretty top at the moment...if we could have added a quality midfielder things even might look promising. Some nice play at times as well, in attack anyway...
Can't complain about being second, but am not getting carried away...if we can beat palace then we might have coutinho back after that and moses certainly looks decent...thought gerrard looked shattered...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »
Good result and we played in part quite well...in other parts we weren't so good and the midfield ain't good at all...luckily we have suarez and sturridge who are pretty top at the moment...if we could have added a quality midfielder things even might look promising. Some nice play at times as well, in attack anyway...
Can't complain about being second, but am not getting carried away...if we can beat palace then we might have coutinho back after that and moses certainly looks decent...thought gerrard looked shattered...

I would agree with most of that Bart, bar, perhaps, the Moses bit. Individually he's good no doubt, but as a team player I more often than not end up scratching my head. We desperately need a physically - read Dembeler, Diamé, Wanyama - strong midfielder.

As you correctly say the midfield more and more looks like our achilles heel. The more I think of it the more I actually believe this "ooh, Lucas is soooo good" comment is just a cool thing to say, not based at all on any hard fact. Yes' he has his moments, and yes he's pretty good at breaking up opponent's play. But he's also damn good at picking up unnecessary cards anf free-kicks while at the same time he offers no authority, no bravery, no leadership, no guts. I actually think he's half-decent.

Gerrard needs to be replaced. For me  (and I've watched this club play on a regular basis since 1979) he's the greatest player to ever wear a red shirt. But time has come to call it a day. I'm not saying he should be dropped instantly but phased out over the course of the season.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2013, 09:23:05 PM »

Gerrard needs to be replaced. For me  (and I've watched this club play on a regular basis since 1979) he's the greatest player to ever wear a red shirt. But time has come to call it a day. I'm not saying he should be dropped instantly but phased out over the course of the season.

I think if Gerrard was used sparingly then he could still be useful...the problem is that he's playing all the liverpool games as well as the england ones..it shows now...he was hardly mentioned cos he can't do the full 90 anymore...

Eriksen could have been perfect to act as cover for gerrard...to learn from him and to be eased into the squad...and spurs got him for 12 mil? bad bad missed opportunity....

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2013, 10:14:33 PM »
I think if Gerrard was used sparingly then he could still be useful...the problem is that he's playing all the liverpool games as well as the england ones..it shows now...he was hardly mentioned cos he can't do the full 90 anymore...

Eriksen could have been perfect to act as cover for gerrard...to learn from him and to be eased into the squad...and spurs got him for 12 mil? bad bad missed opportunity....

Or not. We just don't know that mate. He could've been a flop and for all I know he's just got a couple of games under the belt for Spurs. I don't know why everybody's making him out to be the next Cantona-Zidane-Messi-Ronaldo in one.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2013, 11:01:25 PM »
Wasnt able to catch todays game. Much needed 3 points especially considering the results over the weekend. If we are to have any chance of putting up a fight for a top 4 place we have to take advantage of the other top sides slipping up.

How was Sakho? I havent been impressed as of yet but obviously its very early days. So far for me hes looked unpredictable and thats the last thing you need from a centre back.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 30, 2013, 01:39:33 AM »
As you correctly say the midfield more and more looks like our achilles heel. The more I think of it the more I actually believe this "ooh, Lucas is soooo good" comment is just a cool thing to say, not based at all on any hard fact. Yes' he has his moments, and yes he's pretty good at breaking up opponent's play. But he's also damn good at picking up unnecessary cards anf free-kicks while at the same time he offers no authority, no bravery, no leadership, no guts. I actually think he's half-decent.
U talking horseshit again?

U have no clue about what's required away from home do you?

U still don't understand his role in the team!

All those little nicks and tackles Lucas did all afternoon, the only
guy on the pitch whose switched on virtually the entire game.

He's still not at the level where he left off prior to his injury, way back
ago but he's getting there. If you look you'll see that the consistency (90 minutes)
and mental awareness are there.

Not sure if he fits in Scholari's plans, but I fully expect him to be
busting a gut after Christmas to be in contention for what's a
historic event in his country - in any case I expect him to be busting
a gut because that's the professional he is. Wondering will he stay
beyond next Summer...

But please Rodgers you need to rest Henderson he's so poor it's unbelieveable in the forward direction.
More utter Horseshit, he was playing semi-right back today 'til the switch to 2 at
the back when Sterling came on.

& who was it in the 89th minute steaming forward like it was the 2nd minute
who made Suarez's goal?? Sure the plaudits will go to Sturridge & Suarez but
it was the presence of Henderson occupying 2 defenders which created the hole
for Luis - Hendo's one of the few players out there who actually enjoys wearing
the shirt!

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 30, 2013, 02:07:59 AM »
Wasnt able to catch todays game. Much needed 3 points especially considering the results over the weekend. If we are to have any chance of putting up a fight for a top 4 place we have to take advantage of the other top sides slipping up.

How was Sakho? I havent been impressed as of yet but obviously its very early days. So far for me hes looked unpredictable and thats the last thing you need from a centre back.
Agree, the result was important!

Sakho seemed fine when on the ball, kept it simple, not flustered and
found a player (there's a certain intelligence to that, given he's new, relatively
young and we're away from home) - not exactly sure off the ball what his role
was in the 3 man defence.

Looking at him he still doesn't seem to fit his body yet, might need to wait 18
months to judge whether he is a league winning/potential captain centre half,
which is what we need - a monster at the back who's more than a monster. Just
not seeing that poise yet which marks a central defender out as special, I'd be
happy enough if he spends the rest of the season displaying all the different
attributes of a proper top 4 central defender and starts bring it all together next
season. What's exciting is he appears to have the potential to be an all rounder/
big presence at the back - early days though!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 30, 2013, 06:36:47 AM »
U talking horseshit again?

U have no clue about what's required away from home do you?

U still don't understand his role in the team!

All those little nicks and tackles Lucas did all afternoon, the only
guy on the pitch whose switched on virtually the entire game.

He's still not at the level where he left off prior to his injury, way back
ago but he's getting there. If you look you'll see that the consistency (90 minutes)
and mental awareness are there.

Not sure if he fits in Scholari's plans, but I fully expect him to be
busting a gut after Christmas to be in contention for what's a
historic event in his country - in any case I expect him to be busting
a gut because that's the professional he is. Wondering will he stay
beyond next Summer...
More utter Horseshit, he was playing semi-right back today 'til the switch to 2 at
the back when Sterling came on.

& who was it in the 89th minute steaming forward like it was the 2nd minute
who made Suarez's goal?? Sure the plaudits will go to Sturridge & Suarez but
it was the presence of Henderson occupying 2 defenders which created the hole
for Luis - Hendo's one of the few players out there who actually enjoys wearing
the shirt!

Cant be arsed responding to a kid who calls ppl name simply because they don't agree with him. Tragic. Did u even see the game? You usually don't. Seen it twice now and feel even stronger in my opinion.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 30, 2013, 06:24:30 PM »
Tragic. Did u even see the game? You usually don't.
I heard MOTD were looking for you once Hansen leaves  :P

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2013, 11:09:43 PM »
http://www.merseyreds.com/2013/09/30/mamadou-sakho-vs-sunderland-defensively-strong-composed-on-the-ball-brilliant-video/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=mamadou-sakho-vs-sunderland-defensively-strong-composed-on-the-ball-brilliant-video&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Cheers Ed.

Going by that piece Sakho looked solid. It may be just his style but his passing looks shaky. He looks susceptible to making a mistake when in possession. Only time will tell. There is big hope for him. I suppose what worries me is when a player comes with a big reputation and a relatively big price tag and they havent been playing for their previous team you just worry that there is an underlying reason.

Thats why I'm not a Skrtel fan. He can be excellent but he generally makes potentially goal conceding mistakes every couple of matches. The one season he eradicated them he finished as our player of the season. Hes not the strongest in the air either. Anyway my point is we need a greater level of consistency from Sakho than we have from Skrtel.

All that said I recall Vidic didnt have a great start to his United career but after about 9 month was immense. Hopefully Sakho is more Vidic than Skrtel.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2013, 12:26:14 AM »
Sakho will turn out to be cross between Desailly and Djimi Traore. He'll be fine.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 01, 2013, 12:29:59 AM »
But please Rodgers you need to rest Henderson he's so poor it's unbelieveable in the forward direction.

Hendo's being played out of position a lot of the time. I wish we had more players that would at least 'bust a gut' like Hendo does. He's way down our list of worries.

And it's 'Brendan' to you, not 'Rodgers!". The man has us second in the league, give him a break.*  ;D

*Permanently
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:37:13 AM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2013, 12:30:55 AM »
I don't know why everybody's making him out to be the next Cantona-Zidane-Messi-Ronaldo in one.

Brilliantly understated, as always.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 01, 2013, 12:33:26 AM »
The more I think of it the more I actually believe this "ooh, Lucas is soooo good" comment is just a cool thing to say, not based at all on any hard fact.

Easily remedied. Stop thinking about it.

The French used to say the same things about Deschamps, that you do about Lucas.