September 27, 2020, 08:00:22 PM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 205243 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #300 on: November 23, 2013, 02:35:32 PM »
Being torn apart in midfield and so what does Rodgers do? Weaken it by taking Lucas off and putting an unfit sturridge on...idiot stuff...

agreed, bart

keeganesque in all it's naivety.

the one fecking decent midfielder we have on the pitch - and he takes him off, at the height of a local derby.

reminds me of houllier taking did hamann off against bayer in germany, the white hot heat of a CL quarter final

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 23, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »
Being torn apart in midfield and so what does Rodgers do? Weaken it by taking Lucas off and putting an unfit sturridge on...idiot stuff...

lol! and as soon as i say that...sturridge scores!!
Not sure Rodgers understands the science of going for a win.
He'll say was because of the card but...taking Lucas off away from
home in a derby is dumb. Period.

Basically, the substitution cancelled itself out!

thanks, Ed.
You're welcome!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 23, 2013, 02:43:46 PM »
if we had a midfield and tactics for when the heat is on, we could win something.

with a smart guy in the dugout, three points were there for the taking today.

but as it turned out, we were lucky to get out of goodison with a point.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 23, 2013, 04:11:42 PM »
we could win something.
FFS Dude name me a manager from the British Isles
in the last 10 years (not Fergie's era or Cloughies) who
has consistently won things.

In general you get these guys, the Redknapps who get a
disproportionate amount of good press, produce sides that
do things like "play attractive" football or are "motivated",
"survive relegation", "punch above their weight", "have cup runs",
"lose finals" etc. and very, very occasionally win a trophy.
Never the league though.

It has been my contention from the start that Rodgers is one of these.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 23, 2013, 11:25:09 PM »
There's no pleasing the haters. The last 2 pages have convinced me winning no. 19 will bring about another hateful and scornful post from you lot.

Your hero Lucas was responsible for two unnecessary freekicks from which they scored. He's playing so withdrawn it's impossible for the midfield to stay tight and keep the pressure up. We constantly leave a huge hole in the middle for the the opponents to explore because he's so ferkin insecure and only plays for himself.. The sooner he's sacked the better as that's a prerequisite for this dysfunctional midfield to get back on track.

Other than that a disappointing result even though we did one point better than the chavs. Was mighty impressed with young Flanagan's performance. Also thought Henderson had a really good game for a change. Gerrard was back to his hopless self (though the cross that led to the corner that set us up 1-0 was great).

Second year running we're robbed by he ref as there's no doubt in my mind we would've won it with one more man. I always thought Dowd's a fuckin travesty to refereeing.

Mignolet had a great game but in all honesty only had two tricky saves - Barkly's supposed cross and Lukaku's shot from the left side of the area. We created 3 good chances in ET but it wasn't to be. There's many positives to take from this game.

I sense we're about going on a winning run sooner rather than later.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 24, 2013, 07:43:46 AM »
There's no pleasing the haters. The last 2 pages have convinced me winning no. 19 will bring about another hateful and scornful post from you lot.

Here we go again...'haters' as in any criticism towards Rodgers, which i might add you do quite a bit yourself...if hating means criticising a manager who at 2-1 up and with suarez in rampant form then proceeds to weaken our midfield with moses coming on and then lucas taken off...we were under the cosh even before allen came off but we were just about containing them, mainly thanks to mignolet...moses is lightweight and good riddance in january...but to then go further and weaken the midfield once again was damn right criminal...rodgers got lucky but i hope to god that he doesn't do that again...
great game though but not for the old heart...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 24, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »

First Paragraph

Second Paragraph, and we see the hypocrisy already

Your hero Lucas was responsible for two unnecessary freekicks from which they scored. He's playing so withdrawn it's impossible for the midfield to stay tight and keep the pressure up. We constantly leave a huge hole in the middle for the the opponents to explore because he's so ferkin insecure and only plays for himself.. The sooner he's sacked the better

And, going forward, Mr Positive (the boy) goes on to add some additional nuggets of light and positivity.
  • a disappointing result
  • we did one point better than the chavs
  • Henderson had a really good game for a change.
  • Gerrard was back to his hopeless self
  • Second year running we're robbed by the ref
  • I always thought Dowd's a fuckin travesty to refereeing.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 24, 2013, 01:43:58 PM »
Here we go again...'haters' as in any criticism towards Rodgers, which i might add you do quite a bit yourself...if hating means criticising a manager who at 2-1 up and with suarez in rampant form then proceeds to weaken our midfield with moses coming on and then lucas taken off...we were under the cosh even before allen came off but we were just about containing them, mainly thanks to mignolet...moses is lightweight and good riddance in january...but to then go further and weaken the midfield once again was damn right criminal...rodgers got lucky but i hope to god that he doesn't do that again...
great game though but not for the old heart...

Bart, I thought Everton were there for the taking.  But we played an open game, end to end.....needless thing to do, when one takes the lead.

In playing such an open game, we were (as you say above) lucky to get away with anything from the game.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 24, 2013, 09:27:25 PM »

Bart, I thought Everton were there for the taking.  But we played an open game, end to end.....needless thing to do, when one takes the lead.

In playing such an open game, we were (as you say above) lucky to get away with anything from the game.

exactly mate...at 2-1 we should have shut up shop....killed the game....but not with our current...we have to go for the ego win...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 27, 2013, 09:43:39 AM »
I've stayed off since 'that game' as I'd have only added to the reality 'hate'.

I've only one more thing to say, or rather ask - at what point in his tenure does the manager even start to develop a defensive side to our game, in any way, shape or form?

That's me done on that game, as I need to brood a a while longer.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 27, 2013, 09:53:58 AM »

Martin, you just let yourself down badly when you come out with stuff like that. You are a far, far better poster than that.

You've made critical observations of the manager on numerous occasions this season, IMHO, all warranted, so allow others to do likewise. If you don't agree then put down a contrary argument rather than just put daft stuff like the above. You're more than capable of constructing a coherent argument and lashing out when anybody else dares to be less than effusive, something you've done regularly this season, is of no credit to you.
I'm not defending anybody, rather just not wanting you to let yourself down, as you're much more capable than that.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 29, 2013, 09:58:45 AM »
A big game away to Hull on Sunday....we've only won 1 of 6 since august and it's high time we sort out our vulnerable defense and stop leaking stupid goals. Hull will defend and counter and we'd better have our wits about us. Please god play a solid 4-4-2 cos if it aint we're not going to have fun...

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 01, 2013, 02:11:29 PM »
Liverpool:
                  Mignolet,

Flanagan, Toure, Skrtel, Johnson,
                   Lucas

Gerrard, Henderson

Sterling                    Moses.
                   Suarez

Subs: Brad Jones, Agger, Alberto, Aspas, Coutinho, Sakho, Allen.

Sturridge out, big blow for those 3 hard fixtures that are coming up.

Optimistic enough for today! Good to see Toure in there
for some no-nonsense defending.

Presumably Hull are going to try focus on giving nothing
away and nicking a goal from big cross from somewhere.

Midfield will have to work their b*llix off though 'cos there'll
be f*ck all tracking on the flanks from Sterling & Moses.

Big performances from Hendo & Lucas and Stevie needs to NOT
give the ball away.

Hopefrully Luis will do the rest.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 01, 2013, 04:01:19 PM »
Daniel Sturridge ankle injury: Liverpool striker could be out 'for up to eight weeks' says Brendan Rodgers

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/daniel-sturridge-ankle-injury-liverpool-striker-could-be-out-for-up-to-eight-weeks-says-brendan-rodgers-8975853.html

Borini let out on loan, Moses instead of Lakaku, that one keeps biting it on the bottom. I said at the time it was a mistake, that cover was needed for Sturridge's injury susceptibility and now Lakaku has said he would be prepared to leave Chelsea and stay at Everton if they make the CL. The last part may have been hard for us to live up to, but the rest of it?

Us stronger, Everton weaker and an exposed position covered. What was the benefit of Moses over Lakaku?

Again, those clean sheets in the first two games are looking more the exception than the rule. Until we have a defensive side to our game, we'll get nowhere. Passports will be gathering more dust again next year. 

Frustration's not the word.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 01, 2013, 05:47:35 PM »
Frustration's not the word.
I can think of a few.