February 20, 2020, 01:17:59 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 163147 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #315 on: December 01, 2013, 06:55:22 PM »
Terrible performance and result. Two things are obvious: 1) Our squad is too thin. Moses and Sterling ain't good enough to play in a team chasing 4th. 2) As a team we do not possess the confidence to go out and win games like this. Fair enough, Hull had their game of the season just like So'ton in September but we need to make it more difficult for those teams that sit back with 10 men but we just aint got the personnel.

Harsh on Skrtel who had a good game and was arguably our best player alongside Flanagan. Too many players failed the test and I don't see a reason to keep Aspas, Alberto and Sakho out of the team for much longer. Henderson needs a rest. He contributes fork all to be honest apart from his running around like a headless chicken when their keeper has the ball. Sorry but it's the truth.

Nothing less than 6 points in the 2 upcoming games are expected.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 01, 2013, 09:42:34 PM »
ho hum...so that's 1 win in 7 away now....almost fulhamesque...at least sturridge proved that he did his all in training...but oops he's out for 2 months...
oh how i am looking forward to the Xmas crunch time with Rodgers tactical acumen...
watch us drop...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 01, 2013, 10:33:15 PM »
Terrible performance and result. Two things are obvious: 1) Our squad is too thin. Moses and Sterling ain't good enough to play in a team chasing 4th. 2) As a team we do not possess the confidence to go out and win games like this. Fair enough, Hull had their game of the season just like So'ton in September but we need to make it more difficult for those teams that sit back with 10 men but we just aint got the personnel.

Harsh on Skrtel who had a good game and was arguably our best player alongside Flanagan. Too many players failed the test and I don't see a reason to keep Aspas, Alberto and Sakho out of the team for much longer. Henderson needs a rest. He contributes fork all to be honest apart from his running around like a headless chicken when their keeper has the ball. Sorry but it's the truth.

Nothing less than 6 points in the 2 upcoming games are expected.

Martin, I think Southampton have done more than well enough this season for your comment to be unfair to them. As for Hull, two words, Steve Bruce.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 02, 2013, 09:17:26 AM »
Tes, I don't mean to take anything away from an impressive and very competent Southampton side but in my honest opinion it remains a fact they haven't put in such a perfect performance before or since their trip to Anfield.

I do believe we have a good chance to take 6 points in the coming week. After that, however, and based on our away record thus far, I fear we'll lose another 3 games between now and the New Year's.

While Skrtel have been brilliant individually, I do believe Rodgers needs to find and stick with a different CB-pair to create a solid back-4, a functional defensive UNIT. My choice at this time would be Sakho and Toure. I know this won't go down well with most of you but I think it's time to quit looking at individual brilliance and instead try to pick our best defense. Johnson is weird, he can be absolutely sublime one game and yesterday he was sluggish and indifferent.

What's disappointing is we're so far from having that Manc-mentality, i.e., "fork this, lets win this game now". I'm a tad despondent today but I do feel that the wheels will start to come off now. Injuries played its part, true, but Rodgers have also struggled to find a formation and a starting XI which haven't help team development and continuity.

On the flipside of things are Flanagan's recent performances, of course. I am mighty impressed by how he's transformed into this mature and intelligent player! (cred to Rodgers as well I guess).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 09:22:49 AM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 02, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »
What's disappointing is we're so far from having that Manc-mentality, i.e., "fork this, lets win this game now". I'm a tad despondent today but I do feel that the wheels will start to come off now. Injuries played its part, true, but Rodgers have also struggled to find a formation and a starting XI which haven't help team development and continuity.

the Manc mentality would have seen our boy in the dugout not releasing Sturridge to England, or at ast demanding he only play for 20 minutes.

but why should the feels come off the wagon now.

if anything, we should be pushing on now, to ever greater things after Christmas.

our other top competitors are all involved in travelling the length and breadth of Europe, taking part in draining Champions League and Europa Cup encounters.

Liverool have no such demands.  Nor do we have to worry about the league cup (nor I imagine will we be too worried about the fa cup)

We have a clean and clear calendar.  We should be the freshest top team in England, come February and March onwards.

If we falter, it will not be because of tiredness or injuries.  It will be because of poor tactics and poor recruitment.

In the summer, I said top 8 is what I foresee.  I see nothing to date that makes me change my mind.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 02, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
Tes, I don't mean to take anything away from an impressive and very competent Southampton side but in my honest opinion it remains a fact they haven't put in such a perfect performance before or since their trip to Anfield.

I do believe we have a good chance to take 6 points in the coming week. After that, however, and based on our away record thus far, I fear we'll lose another 3 games between now and the New Year's.

While Skrtel have been brilliant individually, I do believe Rodgers needs to find and stick with a different CB-pair to create a solid back-4, a functional defensive UNIT. My choice at this time would be Sakho and Toure. I know this won't go down well with most of you but I think it's time to quit looking at individual brilliance and instead try to pick our best defense. Johnson is weird, he can be absolutely sublime one game and yesterday he was sluggish and indifferent.

On the flipside of things are Flanagan's recent performances, of course. I am mighty impressed by how he's transformed into this mature and intelligent player! (cred to Rodgers as well I guess).

I agree with all of that, Martin. Pochettino got his tactics perfect and his team executed them to the letter - a mark of a top coach is to devise the right tactics  and to get your team to respond to you, play for you and execute your tactics perfectly.

I agree with your centre half pairing as that combination gives us more of the sum of qualities you need in a centre half pairing than any other combination. Agger has been a disappointment for me during Rodgers' reign, but I still think the problem lies with the method of play, or rather lack of it, than the personnel involved.

Agger and Skrtel performed well in a unit (not neccessarily individually, especially in Skrtel's case) under both Benitez and Dalglish's caretaker stint (credit to Steve Clarke) so are both capable of being part of an effective defensive unit, if the method of play has a strong defensive component to it.

I think when you look at our Summer transfer dealings and then look at the squad in May and September, you can see that there was a certain haphazard quality to our transfer dealings and that players were moved in, out and around without really addressing the issues and improving the quality of the squad.

Rodgers mentioned squad depth last season, and is now talking about it again, but we've added to the squad depth to a reasonable level in terms of numbers. Most of the players that left in the Summer played little or no part, or as in Downing's case, completely ineffective. But now looking at who and what was added you can that the acquisitions weren't well planned. Although it's nice to add 'for the future', our level of need and size of transfer funds means that we aren't at a stage where we can add for the future. The present first team can be the only priority, and if he chooses to add for the future (Ilori and Alberto) then he takes funds away from strengthening the present first team squad. Therefore he can't now moan about squad depth.

His transfer method this Summer more and more has the look of 'buying because they were available' rather than focus solely on what was required and acquire only those players. If a player(s) isn't available for a position in need of strengthening, then surely given our limited funds (compared to other clubs) you keep hold of that money until a player you need becomes available, rather than spend it on one that is available though not in a position that is a priority, or is 'one for the future'.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 02, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »
It's odd isn't it that teams who beat us always have their game of the season against us...it's nowt to do with us having moses and sterling in midfield then...

Only Norwcih, Stoke and Sunderland have conceded more goals than us on our travels.
We've only won once against a team in the top half of the season.

Ain't good enough.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 02, 2013, 04:10:32 PM »
I agree with all of that, Martin. Pochettino got his tactics perfect and his team executed them to the letter - a mark of a top coach is to devise the right tactics  and to get your team to respond to you, play for you and execute your tactics perfectly.

I agree with your centre half pairing as that combination gives us more of the sum of qualities you need in a centre half pairing than any other combination. Agger has been a disappointment for me during Rodgers' reign, but I still think the problem lies with the method of play, or rather lack of it, than the personnel involved.

Agger and Skrtel performed well in a unit (not neccessarily individually, especially in Skrtel's case) under both Benitez and Dalglish's caretaker stint (credit to Steve Clarke) so are both capable of being part of an effective defensive unit, if the method of play has a strong defensive component to it.

I think when you look at our Summer transfer dealings and then look at the squad in May and September, you can see that there was a certain haphazard quality to our transfer dealings and that players were moved in, out and around without really addressing the issues and improving the quality of the squad.

Rodgers mentioned squad depth last season, and is now talking about it again, but we've added to the squad depth to a reasonable level in terms of numbers. Most of the players that left in the Summer played little or no part, or as in Downing's case, completely ineffective. But now looking at who and what was added you can that the acquisitions weren't well planned. Although it's nice to add 'for the future', our level of need and size of transfer funds means that we aren't at a stage where we can add for the future. The present first team can be the only priority, and if he chooses to add for the future (Ilori and Alberto) then he takes funds away from strengthening the present first team squad. Therefore he can't now moan about squad depth.

His transfer method this Summer more and more has the look of 'buying because they were available' rather than focus solely on what was required and acquire only those players. If a player(s) isn't available for a position in need of strengthening, then surely given our limited funds (compared to other clubs) you keep hold of that money until a player you need becomes available, rather than spend it on one that is available though not in a position that is a priority, or is 'one for the future'.

He is right to say the squad is too thin tho. He only had 3 windows to evaluate the squad, get rid of deadwood and bring the right players in. I think it's been a mix of good and bad but in comparison to both Hodgson and Dalglish he's been a revelation. Also in some aspects in comparison to Benitez. What pleases me the most is that for the first time since we're looking for the right players. Both Mkthyrian and Da Costa is emerging as the next generation of great players and we were in the running for both. Actually we started the run for Mkthyrian. Willian remains to be seen what he'll turn into.

I'm less impressed by his loan-signings tho and I think he needs to rethink that strategy to be honest. I would assume we both agree on that one.

As for the defence both Agger and Skrtel bring a lot of quality to the team. At the same time they don't add the physical presence that Sakho and Toure does. I really don't care what players he decides to play as long as he sticks with them. This chopping and changing of central defenders as if they were in fact central midfielders must stop or we'll fight it out with the relegated teams who had the worst away record this season.

It will be interesting to see how the team react. If we win on wednesday and satdee and then draw at the Lane while winning at home to Cardiff would take some pressure off going in to the hectic christmas schedule. If we don't get 6 from the next two games any hope of finishing 4th or better is over.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 02, 2013, 04:59:02 PM »
It's odd isn't it that teams who beat us always have their game of the season against us...it's nowt to do with us having moses and sterling in midfield then...

Only Norwcih, Stoke and Sunderland have conceded more goals than us on our travels.
We've only won once against a team in the top half of the season.

Ain't good enough.

absolutely, Bart.

I always smell a rat when we are getting rolled over by teams that miraculously are having their game of the season (always against Liverpool).

our midfield is a disaster.  Lucas needed support brought in this summer.  He is having to cope alone in the engine room.

I would love to have seen us acquire that lad Henrikh Mkhitaryan lad (the one that Dortmund nicked off us).  But when we missed out, we had to look for other alternatives.  if none were of sufficient standard, then we had to bring in a temporary stop-gap.  I think we missed out in not bringing in Gareth Barry.  He could have done a job for us this season.

Our boy in the dugout is suggesting (this past week) that Captain Marvel can now be a top class defender for us.  Bluddy ell.    He's got no discipline to work midfield, can you imagine how more desperate he would be in defence.

On our travels we are conceding far too many goals.  We need balance.  Instead we have too many fruity offensive players.  Away from home, you first off have to earn the right to play.  You have to be first to the ball, first to the second ball.

Sadly, I see several players in red who are lazy.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 02, 2013, 05:22:25 PM »
Either lazy or not up for it mentally. Either way it's not good enough and I think it is in this sense Rodger's is claiming our squad is a tad too thin. Again, November usually treats us badly so there's no reason to get too despondant from this result. Again, if we win wednesdat and saturday we can go to the lane knowing full well a point is a decent result whereas they will desperate for a win helping our cause further.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 03, 2013, 02:11:29 PM »
My starting line up tomorrow:

------------------------------Mignolet-----------------------------

Johnson----------Toure--------------Agger---------Flanagan

-------------------------------Lucas--------------------------------

-----------------------Gerrard----------Allen----------------------

--------Aspas-----------------Suarez-----------------Coutinho

I think it's best we go back to what has proven to be our best CB-pairing this season - Toure and Agger. I get the feeling Skrtel is selected based on his individual contribution. However good games he's had I never felt as calm with him in the team as when Toure plays.

Henderson I feel needs a rest. I do not understand all this talk about his progression and I cannot see what it is he's offering us now compared to when he was hugely questioned some 15 months ago.

It is imperative Rodgers starts to nail a starting XI.

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 04, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »
Can we give Suarez the keys to the city? He's the only one who's saving this season.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 04, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
Can we give Suarez the keys to the city? He's the only one who's saving this season.

That's a bit harsh me thinks. Gerrard and Allen had a good game and also young Flanagan put in another  solid performance. Coutinho is slowly finding his form. It's too soon for Sterling though. Henderson just needs to be benched. Another very very average performance against a very average Norwich.

We played well once we took the lead as we looked nervous in the opening 20. Although it was a good performance by the team, there are flaws in our game a better opponent might have taken advantage of. I will never feel comfortable with Agger and Skrtel as our CB pair. I hope Rodgers realise he needs to change it one last time and then stick with what he chose because Agger and Skrtel will cost us 4th no mater how good they may be individually.

Watched an uninspiring West Ham yesterday. There's every reason to be optimistic we can build on this win on Saturday. Sooner or later Arsenal will run out of easy goals and luck.

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 07, 2013, 06:38:08 PM »
The Fergie Era is over.

I rejoice from the highest mountain-top.

Fergie, and his fear factor, are gone.

United are now having to compete on the same level playing field as the rest of us.

I suspected that, just like after we lost the last of the old boot-room managers in 1985, we would stumble along for a few years under Kenny, the super-tanker that was Liverpool slowly running aground.  But only after winning two or three more titles.  And that was the case.

I suspected the same post-Fergie - i.e. United would win a couple more titles in the next 4 or 5 years, and then become a normal side once again - when they had to rebuild anew.

But the wheels have quickly came off the United wagon after Fergie left.

They are playing mid-table football.  Whilst I expect them to improve, when their large squad gains traction in the second half of the season - and other sides get tired and have injuries to their smaller squads.

But would it be too much to dream that United might actually struggle to get a Champions League spot?

:)

Sorry to prattle on in this thread about a non-Liverpool issue.  But post-Fergie is such a wonderful new era to behold.   It is everything that I dreamed it would be.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 07, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »
My starting line up tomorrow:

------------------------------Mignolet-----------------------------

Johnson----------Toure--------------Agger---------Flanagan

-------------------------------Lucas--------------------------------

-----------------------Gerrard----------Allen----------------------

--------Aspas-----------------Suarez-----------------Coutinho

I think it's best we go back to what has proven to be our best CB-pairing this season - Toure and Agger. I get the feeling Skrtel is selected based on his individual contribution. However good games he's had I never felt as calm with him in the team as when Toure plays.

Henderson I feel needs a rest. I do not understand all this talk about his progression and I cannot see what it is he's offering us now compared to when he was hugely questioned some 15 months ago.

It is imperative Rodgers starts to nail a starting XI.

Come on you redmen!!!

I had started to reply to this post the afternoon of the Norwich game. But with work here, never got it posted.

I had typed that we were good for 3 or 4 goals at least against Norwich.  Their away form is dire - shipping goals for fun and scoring very few.

Disappointed that we conceded a goal.  But 5 was a good score.

Against the hammers today, we again had a good positive game, scoring for fun.

I would like though, to not concede anything against these lower teams.   Small point. 

If we had bought a decent midfielder this summer past, life would have been very interesting.

I hope we can maintain out form in the final weeks of the year.  Three tough games in the second part of December.