February 24, 2020, 05:28:25 PM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 163886 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #330 on: December 07, 2013, 09:11:59 PM »
It was a so and so game against the Hammers to be brutally honest. Just like against the Canaries we looked a tad anxious and confused until we scored. Once we got the opener we kept going. True they had a good period after their flukey own-goal. But at the end of the day 28-4, 7-1 and 65-35 gives you the bigger picture.

Hats off for Sakho who also was my MOTM. Finally we have a CB who deter situations before they get threatening. What a game he had. Not a pass wrong, not a challenge lost, perfect! If he's not in the team against the Jews I'll ask for Rodgers head!!!

I also thought Allen had a great game and is slowly staring to show his worth. Yes, Lucas is brilliant against the top teams when breaking up play is enough. Against "lesser" teams we need more in the offensive direction and that Allen provides.

My main gripe tho is that even though we were up 2-0 pressing them into desperate moves I hade the feeling a flukey goal could swing things the wrong way. Thankfully it didn't happen tonite but I really think we need to do better with the chances  we create (YOU HEAR THE YOUNG MR STERLING!!!).

White Heart Lane next. Unfortunatly they've escaped with good results the last 2 games but I seriously believe a win is over-due. FFS, Luis has scored as many goals as their team combined.

Come on you redmen!!!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 08, 2013, 01:19:20 PM »
Suarez was brilliant once more..forcing the own goals and generally terrorising the west ham defence...agreed that i though allen showed signs of improvement..and at least he's not let his head hang...he's not the long term solution but if gerrard is out for a couple of games, allen might see this as his last chance saloon...
Coutinho was pretty damn good and we made our own luck by attacking...
big 3 tests in the next 4 games...then hull...need to get our midfield working...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 08, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »
Suarez was brilliant once more..forcing the own goals and generally terrorising the west ham defence...agreed that i though allen showed signs of improvement..and at least he's not let his head hang...he's not the long term solution but if gerrard is out for a couple of games, allen might see this as his last chance saloon...
big 3 tests in the next 4 games...then hull...need to get our midfield working...

Game by game for the remainder of the year. If we can get a good result at the Lane while City trash Arsenal things will starting to look very very interesting.

Was it just me, or did we actually play better in midfield when Gerrard came off yesterday? We'll need him for the big upcoming games though.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 08, 2013, 11:15:42 PM »
Was it just me, or did we actually play better in midfield when Gerrard came off yesterday? We'll need him for the big upcoming games though.

we always play better without gerrard

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 08, 2013, 11:18:03 PM »

yes, we need suarez and countinho firing in these next very important games.

if we can avoid losing against the top sides, we are half way there.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 10, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »

we always play better without gerrard

You're difficult to please. Don't you feel he's been slightly better the last couple of months?

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 10, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »

yes, we need suarez and countinho firing in these next very important games.

if we can avoid losing against the top sides, we are half way there.

Yeapp, indeed. If offered today I'd bite any hand off offering 5 points from the next four games. If we could get 8 that would mean we beat at least one of our rivals away which would do a world of good going into a slightly easier fixture (on paper) in January and February.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 11, 2013, 05:58:08 PM »
Ok so now that Gerrard is out for at least 6 weeks until the end of January, and possibly beyond that...then i would think a replacement class midfielder would be top priority on Jan 1st....otherwise we're gonna blow any chance of Europe let alone the champs league...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 12, 2013, 12:38:14 PM »
Ok so now that Gerrard is out for at least 6 weeks until the end of January, and possibly beyond that...then i would think a replacement class midfielder would be top priority on Jan 1st....otherwise we're gonna blow any chance of Europe let alone the champs league...

Cheer up mate! Let us first see how we fare between now and New Year's. We were always gonna struggle for points in those games. Either the wheels comes off, or we lay the foundation for something really really interesting, I'd say.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 12, 2013, 05:48:05 PM »
Cheer up mate! Let us first see how we fare between now and New Year's. We were always gonna struggle for points in those games. Either the wheels comes off, or we lay the foundation for something really really interesting, I'd say.

Am i supposed to keep the faith then Martin?

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 13, 2013, 09:15:42 AM »
Am i supposed to keep the faith then Martin?

That would be to push it a tad too far, right? ;D Yeah of course, as I said. If we can come away from the upcoming 4 games with 7-8 points we're gonna send a message of intent, indeed. I have a feeling a couple of players might actually rise to the occasion. A lot will depend on how Allen responds. Lucas we know is always good against the bigger teams where breaking up play is enough. Henderson is Henderson, he doesn't offer anything extra regardless of opposition but he does have a physical side to things that may come in handy. The key will be for Rodgers to get the defense bang on. I hear rumours suggesting he's reverting to 5 at the back. That would be a huge mistake in my opinion and would probably see us slated at the Lane. I think he should continue with Skrtel and Sakho. Fair enough we conceded against West Ham, but unlike against Norwich it was more of a mishap than poor defending.

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 15, 2013, 04:59:51 PM »
You're difficult to please. Don't you feel Gerard's been slightly better the last couple of months?

no, we always play better when he is not in the side.  I know that from watching the team across the years.And also the data says the same.

today is evidence of that.  We are far more fluid and dynamic when Gerrard is absent.  We are quicker to break, and we lose less needless possession in the middle of the park.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 15, 2013, 05:03:06 PM »
Yeapp, indeed. If offered today I'd bite any hand off offering 5 points from the next four games. If we could get 8 that would mean we beat at least one of our rivals away which would do a world of good going into a slightly easier fixture (on paper) in January and February.

great first half.

we could be 4 or 5 goals up at half time.

now, with the second half about to start, this is where we need to use our heads.  Spurs will, as the half progresses, have to throw caution to the wind, and push forward.  Then we can really hit them on the break.

if we are smart, we could score loads more goals in this second half........maybe enough to see AVB get his P45.

but our boss needs to be smart.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 15, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »
great first half.

we could be 4 or 5 goals up at half time.

now, with the second half about to start, this is where we need to use our heads.  Spurs will, as the half progresses, have to throw caution to the wind, and push forward.  Then we can really hit them on the break.

if we are smart, we could score loads more goals in this second half........maybe enough to see AVB get his P45.

but our boss needs to be smart.

watched the game with a spurs fan who took it well...a really good all round team performance...gerrard was on commentary and must have though uh oh...could have been 7-0 at least....we kept it simple...thought the midfield of lucas, allen and henderson kept it simple and hugely effective...our defense was good as well...i was expecting a draw...and so well pleased...let's keep out concentration on...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 15, 2013, 07:04:36 PM »
I STAND CORRECTED. I'VE SPENT THE LAST HOUR EATING HUMBLE PIE. I'M SORRY JORDAN HENDERSON FOR ALL THE HARSH WORDS YOU'RE THE MAN. A leader when we needed it the most. Easily my MOTM!!!

Wow!!! What a game. Surely this is the best since our 4-1 at OT. What a brilliant tactical game from Brendan Rodgers, what a fantastic performance of the red men. I'm in tears. Know it may sound a tad gay but that's how I feel.

We were soooooo fornicating much better against Spurs (AT THEIR GROUND) than were city at the Etihad. I doubt we can keep the energy level this well for the rest of the season but when we do we surely can beat any team. So proud, so happy. It should've been 4-0 at half time really.

I think Luis will stay beyond the summer. He knows pretty damn well this is the real deal. He'll never get this in Madrid.

What a masterstroke by Rodgers to hand him the armband. I really feel our manager deserves credit!

Need to stay focused against Cardiff. No fork up or this brilliant display i wasted.

Come on you redmen!!!!