August 21, 2019, 11:15:01 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 110790 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #375 on: December 22, 2013, 01:21:36 AM »
Have to disagree re. Allen dude. It's obvious, at least to me, he hasn't found his position yet. He's a confidence player and as such it'll not be as smooth and easy as with some other players. I do agree he was the weak link in the midfield today, but Lucas offered little more despite being the most experienced player in the team (bar Johnson?).

We did, as Bart pointed out, take the foot off the pedal in the second half. Nothing wrong with that but I was a tad nervous after their goal they'd get another. If that had happened, it was debatable whether we'd won it. That feeling leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Sakho had another blinder. What a defender we got!!! (I honestly can't believe he wasn't awarded a free-kick). Henderson again rose to the occasion and was behind all our goals - long may his form continue.

Coutinho is struggling - let there be no doubt about it. He's trying and trying but almost always gets it wrong. That was one of the positives of the game as he will get it right sooner rather than later.

Suarez is Suarez, no doubt the best player in the world at this moment. No doubt whatsoever. Him setting up Sterling for the second shows what strides he's made duruing his time with us - it makes him such a complete player when he plays for the team!  :)

Johnson looks jaded and completely out of sorts. Disappointed to see young Flanagan make room for Kelly when it should've been Johnson but I guess his experience was the outwheighin factor.

City away up. I was told they won quite against the run of play at Craven Cottage. I have a feeling we could upset a few people at their place. Here's hoping we don't crumble under the pressure of being top of the table.

Come on you redmen!!!

The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 22, 2013, 07:55:02 AM »
Allen can probably be a useful squad player...i thought at times yesterday he was overrun but in some other parts he was ok...his header at 5ft 8 surrounded by 6ft giants at least showed a hunger to improve...out of the midfield yesterday though i would imagine his position is the most under threat...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 22, 2013, 03:54:20 PM »
yes, Allen has a small frame, and is not a defensive midfielder.......he is supposed to be an attacking type - to offer some threat.   But across his career, he has never scored goals.  He averages 1 or 2 per season - which is nowhere good enough at this level.   When you win leagues, you have midfielders like terry mcdermott, jimmy case, ray kennedy, etc weighing in with goals.     

the miss against everton summed it up.  He had a clear chance to put us two goals clear, and most likely a certain three points.   And he misses a sitter.   Costly miss.

Suarez is dragging this team along. 

I hate to see Sterling or Countinho shoot - I prefer to see them let Suarez do the shooting.  Tho Suarez is so dynamic, he always mops up anything that transpires from his colleagues spurned efforts anyway.

Sakho was superb yesterday.   At only 23 years of age, he could be a key player for Liverpool in the years ahead.

Interesting to see what happens in defence now, with Agger back.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:55:31 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 22, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »
City up next.

Going by form, City should thump us - 4-1, or 5-2, etc.

City WILL score goals (and we will concede).

Our best form of defence, is most definitely attack. 

If we escape with a high scoring draw, I would grab it.......perhaps 3-3 or 4-4.   But heck, wouldn;t it be nice to win 4-3 or 5-4.

I hope we don't get throttled.  But to stand any chance, we have to attack them, with Suarez running them ragged.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 23, 2013, 12:09:23 AM »
City up next.

Going by form, City should thump us - 4-1, or 5-2, etc.

City WILL score goals (and we will concede).

Our best form of defence, is most definitely attack. 

If we escape with a high scoring draw, I would grab it.......perhaps 3-3 or 4-4.   But heck, wouldn;t it be nice to win 4-3 or 5-4.

I hope we don't get throttled.  But to stand any chance, we have to attack them, with Suarez running them ragged.

Last year we outplayed them both home and away and the only reason we didn't do the double on them was stupid mistakes from Skrtel and Reina respectively. I would deffo agree with you Dude going there with a defensive mindset would be suicidal. Me too would take a draw if offered. Seeing as all the other top teams got hugely trashed even a single-goal defeat, based on an otherwise solid display, would send some sort of mini statement. In any case, we couldn't go into this game in better form so here's hoping for a good performance.

Come on you redmen!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 23, 2013, 03:08:13 PM »
yes, Allen has a small frame, and is not a defensive midfielder.......he is supposed to be an attacking type - to offer some threat.   But across his career, he has never scored goals.  He averages 1 or 2 per season - which is nowhere good enough at this level.   When you win leagues, you have midfielders like terry mcdermott, jimmy case, ray kennedy, etc weighing in with goals.     

the miss against everton summed it up.  He had a clear chance to put us two goals clear, and most likely a certain three points.   And he misses a sitter.   Costly miss.

Suarez is dragging this team along. 

I hate to see Sterling or Countinho shoot - I prefer to see them let Suarez do the shooting.  Tho Suarez is so dynamic, he always mops up anything that transpires from his colleagues spurned efforts anyway.

Sakho was superb yesterday.   At only 23 years of age, he could be a key player for Liverpool in the years ahead.

Interesting to see what happens in defence now, with Agger back.
Allen's a cog Dude & i prefer the idea
of a useful cog than Stevie upsetting
the balance (particularly away from home).

I agree Luis is on a roll, the likes of which
is rarely, if ever seen in the league & top
of the table is due to him. Outside of that,
Henderson's the key for me at the moment, The
goal against Spurs was lethal - the timing,
just before half-time, away from home. Haven't
seen that type of goal from us in ages.

His understanding with luis has also moved to
a different level, as evidenced by the Cardiff game.

Regards Sterling (need better end product
with crosses from him) & coutinho, it
doesn't last unless they weigh in &
start scoring important goals. So I don't mind
them shooting.

If it aint broke, the lad Sakho seems to me the
type of physical presence we need at the back (
plus he's comfortable with the ball at his feet).
I'm noting, he's quick to come across to cover
with a crunching tackle when the wing back is up
the field & Lucas slots neatly in to provide cover
in the centre. A very simple & effective piece of
the defensive structure.

Anyway, early days yet, can't complain top of the
table but any talk of the title seems premature &
forgets that our goal in a season without European
football was to get back in, CL would be a fantastic
bonus.

We haven't seen this team win knife-edge, pressure
games yet (Spurs turned into a farce), so there's
no evidence yet that we're capable of going toe to
toe with the more experienced sides like City, Chelsea
and Arsenal in the latter stages of the season.

We'll need the brutality of Sakho, Lucas & Henderson
to eake out ugly wins if the goals dry up for there to
be any chance of us disturbing the natural order of
things.

But hey, top of league, feels good!  ;D

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 23, 2013, 10:03:46 PM »
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers deserves our praise

A year of achievement has changed the Northern Irishman's image from grandiose, David Brent figure of mockery to a man of principle and substance

By Henry Winter

8:44PM GMT 23 Dec 2013

Rewind a year and Brendan Rodgers endured some belittling for his “new age” management, his aphorisms seeing him depicted as the David Brent of the dugout. Not now. People now see the substance to Rodgers’ style, his subtle and successful man management of Luis Suárez, his expert coaching of Jordan Henderson, his belief in youth seen in Jon Flanagan’s prominence and the exhilarating nature of Liverpool’s football. It is time to reappraise Rodgers and praise him.

Sayings that most annoyed listeners elicit a different reaction now that Rodgers’ managerial principles manifest themselves fully in players pushing for significant honours. When Rodgers remarked that he “started coaching for one reason and that was to make a difference for people, not just as footballers but as human beings’’ there were a few gasps.

It sounded rather grandiose from a coach whose main achievement had been only a promotion with Swansea City. Now it makes sense, capturing Rodgers’ ability to mould characters as well as players. He has turned Suárez from a toxic asset into a valued commodity respected even by rival fans.
Liverpool’s No 7 may transgress again but all around have noted the Uruguayan’s maturing, his desire to channel that edgy hunger properly. Through explanation and encouragement, Rodgers assists that change.
Quietly, Rodgers also challenges Suárez to become part of English footballing history for the right reasons, for breaking goalscoring records, not codes of conduct.

When Rodgers observed that “we play with 11 men while other teams play with 10 men and a goalkeeper” it sounded arrogant. Now those words encapsulate his footballing philosophy, a way of playing in keeping with Liverpool’s pass-and-move tradition, and bringing the best out of Suárez.
It is not all Suárez by the way. During Suárez’s suspension, Daniel Sturridge was voted Premier League Player of the Month for August while Rodgers scooped the managerial award. Liverpool currently deliver without the injured Sturridge and Steven Gerrard. Rodgers simply tweaks his team or brings in well-prepared understudies to maintain the momentum. They know what he wants. “Brendan has a brand; he’ll pass,’’ says Burnley’s Sean Dyche, who worked with Rodgers at Watford and admires his strength of footballing beliefs.
A careful plan is being put into operation at Anfield. Rodgers buys those such as Philippe Coutinho who suit his obsession with possession, inflicting on opponents “death by football”. There were doubts whether the slight Brazilian would cope with the physicality of the Premier League. Coutinho certainly looks at home now. Rodgers chose well. Joe Allen begins to justify the £15 million outlay.

Liverpool’s manager has made mistakes, and concerns remain over Fabio Borini and Iago Aspas while Nuri Sahin’s loan did not work out. Rodgers is fortunate to have good owners in John W Henry and Tom Werner.
As well as the flowing football, Rodgers’ players perform with a strong work ethic, the type instilled in him by his late father, who had him painting and decorating at a young age. “My father would work from dawn to dusk to ensure his young family had everything and I think you can see his philosophies in my team,’’ Rodgers said during his time at Swansea.

He sees the club as a family with everyone standing together. The team spirit engendered by Rodgers was demonstrated when Suárez squared the ball for Raheem Sterling to score against Cardiff City and the youngster immediately running to thank him.

Still those early maxims of Rodgers need revisiting. Bemusement followed his pronouncement that “the problem with being a manager is it’s like trying to build an aircraft while it’s flying’’. Now that Rodgers’ ideas are becoming reality on the pitch such statements will soon be staples in coach-education departments.
Rodgers is different. He is no Big Sam. He quotes Latin proverbs to his players. Addressing the media, Rodger is one of the most tactile managers I have met. He has always been quotable but now people appreciate the content properly. Discussing how he likes to train players, Rodgers once said: “You train dogs. I like to educate players.” Cue some hilarity. But he does educate players. Ask Henderson.
When Rodgers arrived at Melwood last year, the new manager sat down with the struggling midfielder. “We had conversations on what I needed to do to improve my game,’’ recalls Henderson. They also talked about whether the player should try a new start at Fulham. “I don’t want to go,’’ Henderson told Rodgers. “I want to fight for my place.’’ Impressed, Rodgers replied that if Henderson listened, learnt and improved, he would give him a chance. “He helped me to do better, always talking to me,’’ adds Henderson, now an integral part of the team.

Rodgers has put behind him that unfortunate documentary Being: Liverpool. He came over slightly oddly in the programme, leading to the Brent comparison. It is hard now to imagine Rodgers writing names in three envelopes of the players he felt “will let us down this year”.
Management is not a game show. Still only 40, Rodgers has acquired some gravitas. Now that his team are the talk of the town, Rodgers sounds increasingly like a spokesman for a managerial generation, addressing major issues. His words carry increasing weight. He berates the negative coaching that can inhibit English talent, questioning the point of St George’s Park if the philosophy isn’t right, demanding the removal of “fear” in nurturing youngsters.

Rodgers spoke powerfully in support of Malky Mackay, a former colleague at Watford. He spoke for all in football when calling to account Cardiff’s owner, Vincent Tan, as “a business guy who knows absolutely nothing about football”. Football Association and Premier League leaders would earn respect if they echoed Rodgers’ principled stance. He was embraced by an emotional, grateful Mackay after Saturday’s game at Anfield. Mackay will not forget that backing.

Rodgers is rising up to become a heavyweight of the managerial game. Harry Redknapp so respects him that he was going to ask Rodgers to help with the coaching at Euro 2012 if Redknapp got the England job. Jose Mourinho lauds his protégé. Rodgers himself is generous with advice, helping Dyche out last month.
Watford fans may disagree, following his sudden departure from Vicarage Road, but Rodgers is a man of principle. When Swansea defeated his old Reading side in the Championship play-off at Wembley in 2011, Rodgers was quick to console Brian McDermott and Sir John Madejski. Rodgers’ handling of this year’s Hillsborough developments and tributes further showed his substance as a man. Liverpool are in very good hands.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 23, 2013, 10:27:56 PM »
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers deserves our praise

A year of achievement has changed the Northern Irishman's image from grandiose, David Brent figure of mockery to a man of principle and substance
I'm not having a go but, all seems premature to me.

Toffees are 2 points behind us in Martinez's 1st
season.

Next we'll be reading articles about the resurgence
of Merseyside as the powerhouse of football & the
arising of sleeping giants.

All makes wonderful copy for journos and editors and
plays into the hands of fans (myself included) who are
hoping for it to happen.

I'm taking a more measured approach, but can't deny
that I'm delighted we're top of the table at Christmas.
Long old season though, at best we're a surprise package
whether we have the legs for a full campaign is a different
matter.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 25, 2013, 08:45:08 PM »
Last year we outplayed them both home and away and the only reason we didn't do the double on them was stupid mistakes from Skrtel and Reina respectively. I would deffo agree with you Dude going there with a defensive mindset would be suicidal. Me too would take a draw if offered. Seeing as all the other top teams got hugely trashed even a single-goal defeat, based on an otherwise solid display, would send some sort of mini statement. In any case, we couldn't go into this game in better form so here's hoping for a good performance.

Come on you redmen!

as we said previously, Martin, a draw at City and another draw at Chelsea, would be very good results.

we are running into a very fine run of form.   But admittedly, this is also the case at the other main teams as well.

but what we are doing (unlike everyone else, apart from City) is knocking over the middle and lower table teams for 4's and 5's. 

Suarez is dragging us to the pinnacle.  If he can stay fit, and in form, and we can keep up this work-rate, then we will have as good a chance a anyone, come the business end of the season.

Suarez's enthusiasm and work-rate is infectious. 

Fingers crossed for boxing day.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 25, 2013, 09:14:31 PM »
Allen's a cog Dude & i prefer the idea
of a useful cog than Stevie upsetting
the balance (particularly away from home).

I agree Luis is on a roll, the likes of which
is rarely, if ever seen in the league & top
of the table is due to him. Outside of that,
Henderson's the key for me at the moment, The
goal against Spurs was lethal - the timing,
just before half-time, away from home. Haven't
seen that type of goal from us in ages.

agreed, Ed.  Sakho is looking a superb piece of business.

Henderson has been working hard and looking impressive.   Like most of the side, I think he has found Suarez's industry and outlook, infectious.

Allen is never going to threaten the opposition's goal.......and for a non-defensive midfielder, that is a problem.

That type of player has to be able to weigh in with at least half a dozen goals each season.

Overall, we are playing out of our skins.  Yes, it is the most competitive title (and top 4) hunt in years.   Isn't it great to not have Fergie around!   It levels the playing field.  I can almost feel the entire football industry outside Old Trafford, breathing a huge sigh of relief this season.   The game is enjoyable once more.

Everton and Newcastle will fall away.  You cannot keep relying on turning over other teams by a single goal every week.

If we can share the points with the big teams (City, Chelsea, etc), then we have as much chance of winning the title as anyone.  Because, when it comes to turning over the mid and low level sides, only City and ourselves are doing that for fun.

But we have to keep Suarez fit, and our work-rate up.  But I see a tremendous team spirit....a tremendous unity of purpose.   I think, though they dare not mention it publicly,  our lads see the biggest opportunity of their lives in front of them.    Why not dream of things that could be. 

Some people see things as they are, and say why? But I dream things that are not, and I say, why not?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 25, 2013, 09:17:54 PM »
happy festive period to one and all.

and may all your hopes and dreams for the new year come true.

*raising my glass of red wine, to you all, and your good health*

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 26, 2013, 07:53:38 AM »

Aye Dude! Merry Xmas indeed!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 26, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »
agreed, Ed.  Sakho is looking a superb piece of business.

Good to see Brendan doing his scouting in the right places - this forum.  :D
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 26, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »

Hear, hear

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 26, 2013, 05:28:43 PM »
Good to see a decent, sustained response to the Hull debacle, but we step up to a whole different level with the next two aways.

One positive thing is that of Arsenal, Mancs, City, Spurs, Chelsea and Everton, all except the Mancs have to visit Anfield.

A couple of draws against City and Chelsea would see our momentum continue and the New Year off to a solid start. Whilst our defending still keeps the Cardiac units in employment, Rodgers seems to have instilled a more reinforced type of confidence and we are at least able to score, even we're not not firing perfectly.

Now he needs to repeat last January's window, not the Summer's and reinforce our midfield. I'm now prepared to say leave the left back position alone as Flannagan has played well enough (out of position) to deserve a chance to claim a starting role until the season's end.

Maybe if a quality right back were to be available then it has to be considered but otherwise a small tweak, rather than a mini overhaul, and steady as she goes, and the good ship Jolly Rodgers could be be docking in a few European ports from August.

I think that Rodgers is starting to grow into the role more and is beginning to understand that talk is meaningless, and the only way to convince anybody is by proving it with action. Nice backing of Malky McKay before the Cardiff game. It sounded sincere, considered and heartfelt, rather than a spot of LMA back slapping.

As for (Steamin') Steve Clarke being sacked, there won't be another decision by any owner/chairman, in any league, for the rest of the season, that will top that for sheer stupidity. Come home Steve and tighten up the defensive aspect of our game. Rodgers and Clarke could an interesting combination, though I doubt we'll ever get to see it.