February 24, 2020, 05:31:56 PM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 163889 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #405 on: December 29, 2013, 06:37:56 PM »
and I would like to ask the FA for their OBSERVATIONS about today's game.

again, some very poor officiating.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 29, 2013, 06:46:44 PM »
Very harsh result again. Chelsea probably played their best half this season in the first. Nevertheless, both their goals were rather fortunate. Especially since that twit Eto'o should've walked after one minute. Again, the refereeing is in favor with Chelsea as we had two ironcast penalty calls turned down.

But as both of you said, we're extremly thin and I think Rodgers sent a signal to Henry et.al. we need serious strengthening ASAP by playing young Smith.

Gutted to see both Allen and Sakho injured just as they started to find their feet. Coutinho is totally out of sorts at this moment and looks very very low on confidence. Lucas had another good game against a top side and Henderson really really carried the team for periods of the game. My MOTM was Luis Suarez tiredless effort to work for the team.

I tend to agree we were narrowly beaten by the two toughest opponents in 72 hours. I am afraid they cost too much energy we won't be up for it against Hull on Wednesday. It's also sickening to see the rest of the team around us win without displaying any sort of quality - and no, to me that's no sign of strength. Gutted to the bone!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 29, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »
If Gary Neville says its a stone wall penalty, when we are involved, then you know its a stone wall penalty. Webb was looking right at it too. fornicating Refs have fucked us twice in a week.

Still overall 5th in the league with the top 7/8 so close together points wise there is still all to play for.

Apart from Man U and Soton we have played all the top sides away from home and we're not yet into 2014 and we are in a great position considering that point.

Chelsea were better than us in the first half and the 2nd half was 50-50 imo. But yet again the refs fucked us. Mind you we'd have probably missed the pen knowing our luck, but still those decisions went against us.

Just looking at the two benches tells you all you need to know in terms of squad depth. We don't have any really. Smith had a tough time when he came on but it was his debut in a tough environment so he deserves some slack.

We definitely need two new fullbacks. Johnson is starting to become a liability and we've had more changes in the left back position so it needs addressing.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 30, 2013, 05:44:14 PM »
Again, my take on Smith is the only reason Rodgers brought him on was to send a signal to the owners "this is what I have to work with whilst fighting it out for top 4". There were other and more logical options to that substitution. Shrewd move indeed by Rodgers.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 30, 2013, 05:59:45 PM »
Dead worried ahead of Sunday. A majority of the team looked totally exhausted last 20 yesterday - no wonders though. A lot of the players seems to suffer from minor knocks including Suarez and Henderson. I have a feeling we won't get 3 against Hull. Please cheer me up, will ya?

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 30, 2013, 06:12:45 PM »
Dead worried ahead of Sunday.

Please cheer me up, will ya?

Liverpool v Hull, at Anfield

Liverpool have won 6 out of 6 of their last home league games.

In their last 6 away games, Hull have lost 4 and drawn 2.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 30, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »
Dead worried ahead of Sunday. A majority of the team looked totally exhausted last 20 yesterday - no wonders though. A lot of the players seems to suffer from minor knocks including Suarez and Henderson. I have a feeling we won't get 3 against Hull. Please cheer me up, will ya?

Come on you redmen!!!

Sunday?! You mean Thursday!!! We have Oldham on Sunday!! Although that will cause you more worry seeing as its 2 days less to recover!

I too think the Hull game will be difficult. Bruce will play 10 men behind the ball and they'll be difficult to break down plus they'll be ultra confident because A) they beat us a few weeks ago and B) they won 6-0 on Saturday. So yeah think it will be hard. I'll settle for a 1-0 or 2-1 win.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:16:32 PM by Edward224 »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 30, 2013, 06:29:32 PM »
Sunday?! You mean Thursday!!! We have Oldham on Sunday!! Although that will cause you more worry seeing as its 2 days less to recover!

I too think the Hull game will be difficult. Bruce will play 10 men behind the ball and they'll be difficult to break down plus they'll be ultra confident because A) they beat us a few weeks ago and B) they won 6-0 on Saturday. So yeah think it will be hard. I'll settle for a 1-0 or 2-1 win.

Thursday???!!! Surely you mean Wednesday! :D That's my sentiments exactly.

Cheers though, Dude for the positive remarks.  Another positive is that it's unlikely Suarez will go goalless for 3 consecutive game. On the downside of things we're forced to break up our central defence yet again.

Hopefully it's our turn to grind out a result.

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 01, 2014, 02:33:10 PM »
Cheers though, Dude for the positive remarks.  Another positive is that it's unlikely Suarez will go goalless for 3 consecutive game. On the downside of things we're forced to break up our central defence yet again.

yes Martin, we need Suarez back firing on all cylinders.

Bruce always enjoys getting one over on us (being a big United and Fergie servant).

And Hull are not the type this season,to be turned over by 3 or 4 goals.

But a one or two goal victory will be fine.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 03, 2014, 01:52:11 PM »
Indeed a very very good result. I totally understands where Rodgers comes from when he say it was the best win of the season. It really was written on the wall we'd drop points in this game but we cruised surprisingly easy apart from the first 20 where we looked tired and immobile. As per usual praise has to go to Suarez who played through pain to help us stay within touching distance.

I also feel Henderson is becoming better and better by each game. Here's me having some of that humble pie. Coutinho looked his best on this side of the injury but need to work seriously on his finishing at it will become costly if he doesn't improve. Sterling really isn't good enough. It's just too soon for him. He may well come good but as for now our top 4 aspirations will be seriously dented if he stays in the team. Moses was a mistake but at least he makes up the numbers. Aspas too a flop. I actually feel sorry for the lad as you can see how nervous and low on confidence he is. But that's really up to him to come around. Johnson looked like realising he need to sort himself out and had a pretty good display.

I was particularly happy to see the team regain the energy after 20-25 and use it to kill the game off. We next face Stoke away with some much needed rest, provided Rodgers doesn't feel he need to make up for last year's debacle against Oldham and field a strong side. Here's hoping we'll stay focused and composed against Stoke!

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 05, 2014, 06:46:07 PM »
I also feel Henderson is becoming better and better by each game. Here's me having some of that humble pie. Coutinho looked his best on this side of the injury but need to work seriously on his finishing at it will become costly if he doesn't improve. Sterling really isn't good enough. It's just too soon for him. He may well come good but as for now our top 4 aspirations will be seriously dented if he stays in the team. Moses was a mistake but at least he makes up the numbers. Aspas too a flop. I actually feel sorry for the lad as you can see how nervous and low on confidence he is.

aspas scored today - indeed could have had another 2 minutes later (hit the post).

I hope that gives the lad some confidence.

agreed on Moses.   From the start of the season, I see Moses as either extremely lazy (not closing down players), or else he has not had proper pre-season training.  Not up to scratch.

Good result today.

And...

And Man United lose at home......5th loss at Old Trafford this season - and it is only January.  One can only imagine the repercussions should they finish outside the top 4.

Fergie has left the building - and taken the fear factor with him.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:48:01 PM by the dude abides »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 06, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »
The only game I haven't seen this season so can only go on what's been said on websites and blogs. Apparently Alberto and Moses didn't take their chances. As for Aspas I gather he didn't to much of an impact other than the goal. But it would probably be a tad naive to ask for it all to fall into place in a single game. Hopefully he can build on that as we need him. It worries me Rodgers can't trust our fringeplayers seeing as we play Burton or Bournemouth just 2 or 3 days before the derby at Anfield.

Agger picking up another injury means we'll have to revert to arguably our worst CB-combo - Skrtel and Toure.

A very tricky game at Britannia Stadium up next. Looks like Hughes has finally got his side to work. Important fixture this as both Everton and Tottenham have relatively easy fixtures at home. At the same time I wonder how much longer Everton will continue to fly? City face Newcastle away while the league's form team no.1, Chelsea, face a slightly easier away game against Hull at the KC Stadium. I don't Think all teams around us, either above or below, will get maximum points so it's hugely important we do.

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 07, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »
This Sterling hype really really really is a sign we haven't moved forward that much after all (for crying out loud he cost us at least a point at the Etihad). Jesus Christ, his end product has been awful over the entire campaign and so has his contribution in open play - extremly predictable and easy to close down. Am I the only one to have this thoughts?

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 10, 2014, 09:48:25 AM »
Very tricky game at Britannia Stadium this weeken. As you probably know we lost our three last visits. But that was against an ultra-physical-defensive Tony Pulis-side at a time when the club was still in mayhem.

They will probably come out firing on all cylinders so it'll be important to stay focused and positionally sound the first 20-25 minutes. Hopefully Sturrigde is fit enough to play some part in the game as we're gonna need at least 3 goals to win this.

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 12, 2014, 02:14:49 PM »
we have to win today to have any ambitions of staying in the title hunt.

Stoke's home record is fair enough (typically mid-table form). 

Our recent form, away from home, has been very poor - admittedly three of those away games have been against Arsenal, Chelsea and City.

I fear a 1-1 draw.  But I am going to go with us scrapping a 2-1 victory.