February 20, 2020, 01:19:03 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 163154 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #420 on: January 12, 2014, 05:10:02 PM »
when you are feckin 2 up, you go on and win games.

but as per usual, we go ahead and then give the game away.

rodgers keeps on doing this stupid thing.

the guy has no tactics.  FFS
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 12, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
insane game....we were better...but it has to be said the dolphins and unicorns were on our side...thank feck for suarez...and sturridge was quite...brilliant..

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 12, 2014, 08:39:42 PM »
gotta be said though it's been 30 years since we left stoke with 3 points...mad game and not good for my heart...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 12, 2014, 08:44:25 PM »
insane game....we were better...but it has to be said the dolphins and unicorns were on our side...thank feck for suarez...and sturridge was quite...brilliant..

You could argue we were fortunate on our first and slightly so on the penalty. But as a whole we were miles better and for long periods we played a very controlled game. I was particularly impressed by the second half where we came out showing a will to win. In previous years we didn't win those game. Rather we bemoaned our bad luck. We won very deservedly and as for the Dudes suggestion Rodgers doesn't have a clue tactically I think you better rethink that after the game winning changes he made when he brought on Sturridge in a 4-4-2 set up. It's obvious we're going places with Rodgers as manager. He's taken us from mid-table mediocrity to challenging for the title in one and a half season. Not even Rafa managed that.

Cred to Sterling who had his best game in a red shirt. Both Henderson and Coutinho was surprisingly anonymous but worked hard for the team in a very controlled display. We made 4 mistakes and they scored 3. Toure and Skrtel will Always be our weakest CB-pairing and it's just a matter of time before Skrtel will cost us dearly with his constant shirt-pulling.

Villa up next at home. Winnable if focus and preparations is right.

Come on you redmen!!!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 12, 2014, 10:04:04 PM »
it's Keeganesque football.

And whilst I think that that type of football is an important part of a title-winning team's arsenal, it has to be only one part of it.

when you go ahead in a game, you can slightly tweak your tactics.   So far, this has been beyond Rodgers.

it's the same old thing, every time.....we go ahead in the first half - only to let the other team equalise or go ahead before half time.

if you have any ambition at winning titles or cups, you can't continue with such limited tactics.

And I thought Gerrard was truly awful today.  I lost count of the times he gave needless possession away - and he cost us a goal before half time, when he messed up deep in our half.  I do not like to see him in our central midfield, and I am terrified when I see him drop back and play deep.  He is an accident waiting to happen.

Overall, we got out of jail.  And three points are three points.   

We are still in the hunt.  And we have all those difficult away games out of the way (apart from a trip to Old Trafford).

We need to keep winning, because if you look at the table, there is a clear risk of three teams now breaking away (arsenal, city and chelsea).

I foresee us playing the same way til May.  So best keep the blood pressure and heart tablets close at hand.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 10:05:48 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 13, 2014, 07:28:15 AM »
I sincerely hope we're in the market for a decent midfielder or two this january...cos gerrard kept giving the ball away yesterday and henderson went back into his more withdrawn mood...we had a large chunk of luck yesterday along with pieces of class from suarez and sturridge...to give a 2-0 lead away so easily was criminal and the weakness of our midfield with gerrard at its centre made Stoke look way better than they actually are...up until this point they had scored less than a goal a game...and yet we let them ship in three...if rodgers can adjust such matters...and not rely on fate (if gerrard is injured and the like) then we have a serious opportunity to get top 4...not taking that advantage would be criminal...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 13, 2014, 09:42:46 AM »
it's Keeganesque football.

And whilst I think that that type of football is an important part of a title-winning team's arsenal, it has to be only one part of it.

when you go ahead in a game, you can slightly tweak your tactics.   So far, this has been beyond Rodgers.

it's the same old thing, every time.....we go ahead in the first half - only to let the other team equalise or go ahead before half time.

if you have any ambition at winning titles or cups, you can't continue with such limited tactics.

And I thought Gerrard was truly awful today.  I lost count of the times he gave needless possession away - and he cost us a goal before half time, when he messed up deep in our half.  I do not like to see him in our central midfield, and I am terrified when I see him drop back and play deep.  He is an accident waiting to happen.

Overall, we got out of jail.  And three points are three points.   

We are still in the hunt.  And we have all those difficult away games out of the way (apart from a trip to Old Trafford).

We need to keep winning, because if you look at the table, there is a clear risk of three teams now breaking away (arsenal, city and chelsea).

I foresee us playing the same way til May.  So best keep the blood pressure and heart tablets close at hand.

Agree to disagree on several points mate. Again, I think your argument Rodgers lack tactical knowledge/ability wears thin. Yesterday his decision to change the formation to 4-4-2 with the introduction of Sturridge proved a masterstroke.

I also think one has to be fair and aknowledge the fact we controlled the game completely for over 70 minutes playing a type of football that allowed "in-game resting". That's something new to our game and, dare I say, a direct result of the team's improving tactical competence.

Not for a second is it fair to say we got out of jail. I don't think their first is anything to bitch about. Crouch took that goal brilliantly. If anything Johnson was out of position forcing Suarez to track back subsecuently allowing Aurnotovic way way too much time to deliver the cross. The other two goals came from sloppy and erratic play courtesy of Henderson and Gerrard. But over all we were a class apart and won very very deservedly unlike Chelsea and City.

I would agree with you on Gerrard though mate. I lost count on the number of times he gave the ball away in dangerous positions and seemingly unnecessary at that. Alonso used to do it once in a while but instantly shaped up and made amends. Gerrard just continued to do the same mistake over and over again.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 13, 2014, 09:44:37 AM »
I sincerely hope we're in the market for a decent midfielder or two this january...cos gerrard kept giving the ball away yesterday and henderson went back into his more withdrawn mood...we had a large chunk of luck yesterday along with pieces of class from suarez and sturridge...to give a 2-0 lead away so easily was criminal and the weakness of our midfield with gerrard at its centre made Stoke look way better than they actually are...up until this point they had scored less than a goal a game...and yet we let them ship in three...if rodgers can adjust such matters...and not rely on fate (if gerrard is injured and the like) then we have a serious opportunity to get top 4...not taking that advantage would be criminal...

Agree completely with that bart mate. However, a couple of our goals may have been a tad fortunate. But as a whole we played them off the park for over 70 minutes. You could also argue they were very fortunate to get three goals from 4 mistakes.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:45:41 AM by Martinmarx »

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 14, 2014, 07:39:31 AM »
Going up 2 nil and shipping 2 goals within 10 minutes before half time....absolutely criminal! 
It's evident that we desperately need some quality in midfield.  The introduction of Gerrard in the midfield I felt made us weaker and I don't buy into the theory that he can play in this new role in front of the back four.  Another player who I feel is not at the same level as he was a few seasons ago was our former player of the year, Lucas Leiva.  I've watched every televised game this season and he's imho no where near the level he was playing at a couple of season ago.  We're crying out for that Mascherano type of player!

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 14, 2014, 09:46:03 AM »
Going up 2 nil and shipping 2 goals within 10 minutes before half time....absolutely criminal! 
It's evident that we desperately need some quality in midfield.  The introduction of Gerrard in the midfield I felt made us weaker and I don't buy into the theory that he can play in this new role in front of the back four.  Another player who I feel is not at the same level as he was a few seasons ago was our former player of the year, Lucas Leiva.  I've watched every televised game this season and he's imho no where near the level he was playing at a couple of season ago.  We're crying out for that Mascherano type of player!

I agree it was disappointing to see us ship that lead. But I imagine you would agree with me that in previous years that would've seen us draw the game at best. Instead we scored the goals needed to beat a strong hometeam who beat Chelsea just a few weeks ago and took points off City. I agree with your general point though, we certainly could do with a Diamé or Dembele in the center of the park.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 14, 2014, 06:10:35 PM »
Diame and Dembele are both crap.

Whilst I agree whole heartedly that we need improvement in that area what we need is to buy a player that will take us up a level in that area not just sustain us at the level we are at. If that makes any sense!!

Diame is no better than Lucas nor Gerrard and Dembele is no better than Henderson, especially in midfield.

I do agree we need a physical and powerful midfielder though. But the players I have in mind are the likes of Gonalons, Both Benders Lars and Sven, Gustavo, Reges, Marchisio, Moutinho, Cabaye, Strootman. The best in the world are Pogba, Vidal, Martinez, Bastian.S, Ramires, Yaya Toure, Busquets. I.e. unattainable.

That first batch of players would only be available to us if we have CL football. I mean we are heavily linked with M'Vila and he had that class once before and whether he can reach those levels again are another matter and could be worth a punt at the right price. But we need to upgrade and for me the likes of Diame and Dembele are not upgrades but sideways moves at best.

I personally am interested in seeing the dynamic of Gerrard further back and Lucas and Henderson further forward as it allows us to press further forward. But the huge drawback is the lack of tactical discipline from Gerrard and I don't think he can do it by himself but with a partner. Rodgers though does see Gerrard playing that role more often.

I think we need to improve both full back positions in the summer though. Flanagan is currently our best full back and that is saying something but we need improvement in those areas as with good quality full backs it allows our pressing game to be more effective. 

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 15, 2014, 06:42:30 AM »
Too much CM for me that, Ed mate to be perfectly honest. I almost stopped reading where you said Diamé and Dembele are crap. They may not be worldbeaters but since when are we a club attracting worldbeaters?

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 15, 2014, 02:05:45 PM »
Diame is definitely crap. I watch a lot of West Ham games and he is next to useless. Most West Ham fans won't cry one iota if he leaves.

Dembele for me is more of an AM than a proper CM so its no good for me plus he is slow and lacks tactical awareness - which is why he is better further upfield.

But as I said sideways move at best with those two.

With CL football we can attract those in that batch I stated. One of the Benders is at Leverkusen, Reges at Porto, Gonalons at Lyon, Moutinho at Monaco, Cabaye at Newcastle and Strootman at Roma. Gustavo is unwanted at Bayern. If we were to get CL football are you telling me we couldn't attract those players from those clubs?

Pogba, Vidal, Martinez, Bastian.S, Ramires, Yaya Toure, Busquets are world beaters and I never said we can attract them as they are all unattainable to us even with CL football.

However with CL football and with Brendan at the club we can attract a hell of a lot better than Diame and Dembele.

P.s. I'd actually prefer Rossiter and Lussey in our midfield than Diame. That is how shed Diame is nowadays.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 18, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »
I am concerned to see Gerrard back in the side.

And extremely concerned to see talk of him being played deeper, in front of our defence.

We will need to score 5 or 6 goals per game, to counter the number that he gifts to the opposition.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 18, 2014, 05:56:49 PM »
I am concerned to see Gerrard back in the side.

And extremely concerned to see talk of him being played deeper, in front of our defence.

We will need to score 5 or 6 goals per game, to counter the number that he gifts to the opposition.

All Villa since the first 30 seconds...and with no lucas villa are running riot....ffs...