February 22, 2020, 10:17:31 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 163542 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #435 on: January 18, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »
FFS!!!! A complete shambles...nothing in midfield and i wonder why? Mignolet was pretty woeful as well...I hope John Henry takes note and strengthens our midfield..

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 19, 2014, 01:21:04 AM »
Disappointing result and performance. Suarez and Coutinho was not to be recognised, nor was anything really. Although we clawed back goalwise we never dominated the game. Surely this was a lesson for Rodgers he shouldn't chance his formation to accomodate Sturridge. If it is about the team, then let the team be. Fair enough we did better at home aginst Villa than did Arsenal but we now run the risk of going into the derby behind the Bitters. Suarez a huge huge disappointment.

Sterling my MOTM.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 19, 2014, 01:05:13 PM »
Pretty obvious that Gerrard in no way can play the holding midfielder role. Blindingly obvious that our midfield was pathetic yesterday and that was because there was no lucas...there's talking about having to fit sturridge in but at the moment we're a much better team without gerrard...we were lucky against stoke and were found out against villa...gerrard may be able to slot the penalties in...but he was awful in that role yesterday...
rodgers needs to stop that nonsense and also a day before he again said we can win the league...ffs

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 19, 2014, 05:03:09 PM »
Pretty obvious that Gerrard in no way can play the holding midfielder role. Blindingly obvious that our midfield was pathetic yesterday and that was because there was no lucas...there's talking about having to fit sturridge in but at the moment we're a much better team without gerrard...we were lucky against stoke and were found out against villa...gerrard may be able to slot the penalties in...but he was awful in that role yesterday...
rodgers needs to stop that nonsense and also a day before he again said we can win the league...ffs

exactly.

rodgers claimed that our midfield played well against Stoke - and that the point we gained against Villa yesterday, was on the back of a good second half performance, and could be an important one.

his claims that Gerrard can play the holding role, are the biggest pile of moronic balderdash that I have encountered in a long time.

with gerrard, we are top 8 material (maybe top 6 with a bit of luck).   Without Gerrard, we can build a proper midfield and prosper.

Gerrard should not have walked straight back into the team. 

And if I managed the club, he would never play in the middle of the park. 

He would play wide right - or not at all.

BTW - England are in for a horrid time this summer in Brazil, if Gerrard is in midfield.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:05:11 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 19, 2014, 06:30:38 PM »
as I feared last weekend, it now looks like the top three are breaking away - arsenal, city and chelsea.

everton, liverpool and spurs are in a second tier battle for that 4th CL spot.

man utd will need to get their finger out, if they hope to join the battle.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 19, 2014, 06:48:59 PM »
It was disappointing to drop points of course but it's by no means a disaster if we can get full return from our 3 next games. I'm sure Rodgers learnt his lesson last nite and will improve. We are now entering a period where the top 7 teams will face a much more difficult fixture  and I still think there's room for a few surprises along the road to May. United lost which opened up a 6 points gap and maybe it isn't beyond Baggies to snatch a point tomorrow. That would see us go into the derby in 4th place. The next 3 games will decide our season.

Come on you redmen!!!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 20, 2014, 08:33:13 AM »
We have nothing on the right side so i think it's a cracking idea to put gerrard there..he certainly hasn't the discipline for the holding midfielder and it was noticeable that even rodgers didn't put him back there after the break...his only other roll would be behind suarez..but i'm not sure that he's got the legs to do that now...henderson and lucas need to be in the central midfield...with coutinho on the left...
if we persist with gerrard as a defensive midfielder we'll be off the pace for top 4...which would be fairly tragic considering how close we are...
11 days to go before the window shuts...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 20, 2014, 11:08:43 AM »
And it  seems in the media like we're finally starting to make a few moves.

I'm more and more with Dude that we're better off without Gerrard. Maybe not altogether but used more sparingly. Problem is Lucas is out for the forseeable future, Coutinho's way way off form and Gerrard is struggling to find his new role.

Part of me is a tad worried the wheels may start to come off in the coming weeks with a long run of bad/not good enough results. In very few games this season I've felt calm even when up 2, whereas when Arsenal, Chelsea or City score you know the probability they'll drop points approach zero. That, to me, is a strong indicator we're far from being the finished article and a reminder finishing 4th would be a truly, truly huge achievement.

Salah, might be good but I think Fernando would come in much handier at this time.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 20, 2014, 04:07:39 PM »
We have nothing on the right side so i think it's a cracking idea to put gerrard there..he certainly hasn't the discipline for the holding midfielder and it was noticeable that even rodgers didn't put him back there after the break...his only other roll would be behind suarez..but i'm not sure that he's got the legs to do that now...henderson and lucas need to be in the central midfield...with coutinho on the left...
if we persist with gerrard as a defensive midfielder we'll be off the pace for top 4...which would be fairly tragic considering how close we are...

yes, a tragedy, given the great football we played in late November and early half of December.

it was title-winning type football.    But going by Rodgers words and overall tactics, it seems that, rather than it being by great design or plan, he rather accidentally stumbled upon a decent line-up.

and with gerrard back, top 4 will soon be a distant memory.

but like you say, why not instead play gerrard wide on the right.  The deficiency exists, so fill it with captain marvel.

any small hope of winning the title ended with the Villa result.

the other three teams are now pulling away.

Rodgers made a helluva mistake playing Gerrard in the holding role.  And the Villa boss was tactically smart.  He had two of his players get tight on Gerrard when our man had the ball - forcing him into mistakes and being hurried.  And when Villa had the ball, Gerrard was left alone - because when he does not have the ball, Captain Marvel tends to be a lazy bugger, who doesn't track the opposition back.  Villa were able to counter attack at speed.  The Villa boss was smart.

but as well as being tactically stupid - Rodgers second mistake was taking way too long to change things.

our boss should have seen the issue and changed things after 20 minutes.

by the time he finally reacted, we were two down.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 04:14:24 PM by the dude abides »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 20, 2014, 05:27:01 PM »

Salah, might be good but I think Fernando would come in much handier at this time.

Ideally we need both, there seems to be dithering about Salah and that we can't pay 12 mil for him...with lucas out for awhile and with gerrard not able to fit his DM boots...then i'm not sure how much Fernando might be but if it's around 8 mil then 20 mil for two players who will bolster our crappy midfield will be money well spent...
will make the difference between 4th and 6th...Champions league or the doldrums once more, that is the question...

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 20, 2014, 07:33:35 PM »
Oh and on a personal note...can we bring steve clarke back and sort our defence out? We've let in 26 goals in 21 games now which is pathetic...Rodgers knows nowt about defence and it could be an interesting double act...

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 20, 2014, 09:10:06 PM »
and with gerrard back, top 4 will soon be a distant memory.
Rafa had some very un-Rafa like things to say about
Stevie in his latest column:

"It was interesting to see him playing in the deeper regista role
in the win against Stoke City, because regular readers of this
column will know why I think he has the qualities to be an influence
there. It is his anticipation, ability to pass long and short with incredible
accuracy and also dictate the tempo. Not many players can do that."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rafa-benitez-column-liverpool-to-pip-united-to-top-four-29926581.html

Personally, I think Stevie's the best penalty taker in the league now
but would prefer to see him in cameos.

I agree with him on this point though:

"but Liverpool will have one important advantage when January is over.
That is time. They don’t have to play in Europe in the months ahead and
that is a big advantage when the others are distracted by those commitments.
I don’t mean it is not good to be competing and pressing to win in the
Premier League and Europe, too."

Anyway, basically, top 4 is our title & we'll probably need to pull out
all the stops to achieve it.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 21, 2014, 09:30:31 AM »
As I've said above. A full return from our upcoming 3 games would set us up nicely for the rest of the season and more or less guarantee a top 4 finish given Rafa's second point, with which I agree.

Other than that I think you're too quick to pass judgement on Rodgers. I mean, we've been injury struck to the extent we could hardly get a proper squad in place for the Chelsea game. We've been forced to chop and change the back-4 constantly over this period, + the results have been truly truly crazy and very much against us. I think there's reason to believe we have a decent chance to get back to the form we had throughout most of December and if so we'll have a great chance to finish 4th which, again, would be a tremendous achievement and final proof Rodgers is the right man to lead this club.

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 21, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »
http://www.lfconline.com/feat/ed11/lucas_out_for_two_months_822080/index.shtml

lucas out for 2 months...we don't need Salah anymore as we've got enough going forward...we need a replacement for Lucas...and gerrard aint gonna do it...and if we don't get someone suitable thats the end of the top 4...

i read somewhere that we were going to put a bid in for nigel de jong ....but quite why he would want to leave Milan is anyone's guess...would love him but just can't see it...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 08:59:55 PM by barticus »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 21, 2014, 10:05:29 PM »
http://www.lfconline.com/feat/ed11/lucas_out_for_two_months_822080/index.shtml

lucas out for 2 months...we don't need Salah anymore as we've got enough going forward...we need a replacement for Lucas...and gerrard aint gonna do it...and if we don't get someone suitable thats the end of the top 4...

i read somewhere that we were going to put a bid in for nigel de jong ....but quite why he would want to leave Milan is anyone's guess...would love him but just can't see it...

without Lucas, we're fecked.

we're now gonna slide down the table to our natural level.