February 25, 2020, 10:11:25 PM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 164191 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #465 on: January 24, 2014, 08:22:21 AM »
Hmmm Salah is a bullet dodged...the last thing we want is this nonsense at our club...

Chelsea's £11million move for Egypt winger Mohamad Salah is mired in controversy after it emerged he has twice refused to shake hands with Israeli players. Owner Roman Abramovich, chairman Bruce Buck and director Eugene Tenenbaum are all Jewish and will be concerned by Salah’s actions. The Basle star, who will join Chelsea this weekend after completing a medical, refused to shake the hands of Maccabi Tel Aviv’s players in both legs of their Champions League qualifiers last year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2544965/Why-did-new-11m-Chelsea-star-Mohamad-Salah-refuse-shake-hands-Israelis-twice.html

And let's face it...do we really need yet another attacking midfielder??? Cabaye or someone of that ilk would be a much better spend...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 24, 2014, 12:09:53 PM »
agreed, Bart.

one has to be philosophical about it.  If the lad had REALLY wanted to come to Anfield, he would have.    I was reading overnight how Wenger did not want to sell Van Persie to United.  He wanted instead to sell him to Juventus.  But as Wenger said, you have to have the agreement of the three parties, before a deal can go ahead.     Salah could have came to Anfield if he had wanted.

And beyond the refusal to shake Israeli paws - he moved up a level when moving to the Swiss league - and if my memory serve me rightly, he has only scored 4 goals in that league.   The implication would be that he will struggle in top leagues.

He looks to have a small build - those type always struggle in the premiership.

I can imagine him becoming wealthy, but his career going nowhere (by being stuck in the Chelsea reserves).
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 27, 2014, 07:12:04 PM »
So the clock ticketh...Salah has been and gone just like Mkhitaryan. The awesome January window of last year begins to look like a freak event.
Do the owners realise that with no Champs League next year we aint got a chance of keeping Suarez. Or maybe with the contract signed they want that 70 mil mentioned which will be a lovely little return on their investment.
Our squad is woefully thin and even Rodgers admits that. We have a chance of fourth, but with no investment then we'll fall by the wayside for another year.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 28, 2014, 06:26:57 AM »
So i'm not the only one who's getting frustrated...Cabaye just been sold to PSG...

'Brendan Rodgers has expressed his frustration that Liverpool have failed to add to their squad in the transfer window but has vowed to keep searching for new talent until the last minute.
The Liverpool manager had hoped to sign Mohamed Salah from FC Basel but the Egypt international opted to join Chelsea after they muscled in and made a bigger offer.
It is the second time this campaign that Liverpool have been gazumped by Chelsea – they did so in August when swooping for Willian – but Rodgers is refusing to dwell on the matter.
Liverpool’s recruitment team are continuing to explore options – Rodgers has indicated he would even consider a loan if the quality was right – but, at this stage, it is looking unlikely whether they will bring anyone in. Rodgers has admitted that such an outcome would be a disappointment.
‘We’ll probably judge that (whether this month has been a frustration) best when the window has shut,’ said Rodgers. ‘We will see where we are at when the window shuts. Of course I wanted to strengthen the team that was already here.
‘If we are unable to that it would be disappointing, but there’s nothing you can do about it.  If we don’t get them in then, as a coach, I’ll work with what I’ve got. There’s no point in looking back on it.
We’ll reflect on it and as I said my sole intention then will be to maximise and get everything out of the players I have left. We can identify the players that we want to bring in and we hope we can get them in.
‘If we can, the club will do everything possible to match the value worth of the player. If they end up going to another club that of course is difficult to take. But you can’t worry about it you’ve just got to keep looking forward.’
Liverpool have a real chance of finishing in the top four this season and many supporters believe this month should have seen invest to enhance their prospects but Rodgers insists it has not been for the lack of trying.
The owners feel like (there is a chance of Champions League qualification) as well,’ said Rodgers. ‘They feel like that and the people in the club see where we are at. We’ve shown up until now that we can really challenge at the top end of the table
‘We’ve wanted to bring in players who could help us and players of quality. Let’s hope we can do that between now and the end of the window.’
Liverpool Managing Director Ian Ayre added about Salah’s decision to join Chelsea: ‘We haven’t been held back from concluding a deal, it would be wrong to say that. The player decided he didn’t want to come to Liverpool.
‘We know what the value of the player is and how far we were prepared to go. That is something myself, Brendan and the others involved in the process discuss openly. We won’t over-pay. In every transfer window you win some and lose some.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2547094/Brendan-Rodgers-frustrated-Liverpools-lack-activity-transfer-window.html

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 28, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »
So i'm not the only one who's getting frustrated...Cabaye just been sold to PSG...

'Brendan Rodgers has expressed his frustration that Liverpool have failed to add to their squad in the transfer window but has vowed to keep searching for new talent until the last minute.
The Liverpool manager had hoped to sign Mohamed Salah from FC Basel but the Egypt international opted to join Chelsea after they muscled in and made a bigger offer.
It is the second time this campaign that Liverpool have been gazumped by Chelsea – they did so in August when swooping for Willian – but Rodgers is refusing to dwell on the matter.
Liverpool’s recruitment team are continuing to explore options – Rodgers has indicated he would even consider a loan if the quality was right – but, at this stage, it is looking unlikely whether they will bring anyone in. Rodgers has admitted that such an outcome would be a disappointment.
‘We’ll probably judge that (whether this month has been a frustration) best when the window has shut,’ said Rodgers. ‘We will see where we are at when the window shuts. Of course I wanted to strengthen the team that was already here.
‘If we are unable to that it would be disappointing, but there’s nothing you can do about it.  If we don’t get them in then, as a coach, I’ll work with what I’ve got. There’s no point in looking back on it.
We’ll reflect on it and as I said my sole intention then will be to maximise and get everything out of the players I have left. We can identify the players that we want to bring in and we hope we can get them in.
‘If we can, the club will do everything possible to match the value worth of the player. If they end up going to another club that of course is difficult to take. But you can’t worry about it you’ve just got to keep looking forward.’
Liverpool have a real chance of finishing in the top four this season and many supporters believe this month should have seen invest to enhance their prospects but Rodgers insists it has not been for the lack of trying.
The owners feel like (there is a chance of Champions League qualification) as well,’ said Rodgers. ‘They feel like that and the people in the club see where we are at. We’ve shown up until now that we can really challenge at the top end of the table
‘We’ve wanted to bring in players who could help us and players of quality. Let’s hope we can do that between now and the end of the window.’
Liverpool Managing Director Ian Ayre added about Salah’s decision to join Chelsea: ‘We haven’t been held back from concluding a deal, it would be wrong to say that. The player decided he didn’t want to come to Liverpool.
‘We know what the value of the player is and how far we were prepared to go. That is something myself, Brendan and the others involved in the process discuss openly. We won’t over-pay. In every transfer window you win some and lose some.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2547094/Brendan-Rodgers-frustrated-Liverpools-lack-activity-transfer-window.html

But surley you'd agree it's pointless to break the bank for a player who doesn't want to come?
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 28, 2014, 11:45:58 AM »
But surley you'd agree it's pointless to break the bank for a player who doesn't want to come?

I would completely agree with the statement above but the problem is that it's taking it out of context with what happened in reality.....

11 million which Chelsea paid wasn't breaking the bank and if we'd even offered 10 mil by January 1st, and stopped mincing about for the sake of 2 million, stumped up and looked like we actually made the player feel that we desperately wanted him, then Salah could have been signed up 3 weeks ago...We've been weakened 3 times now by Chelsea alone with Willian and Salah and even bloody Bertrand off too Villa on loan...so much for Rodgers special relationship with his friend, Mourinho....dog boy more like..

We're looking like amateurs who are off for their jollies and far more interested in the wining and dining rather than getting players signed...we've now got just over 3 days left to go for a panic buy because no one else is available...

We had a chance to get 4th....most of us on here have seen that we have a woefully weak squad and that Rodgers isn't the best tactically when we're in trouble...it is now 28 days aka 4 weeks after the opening of the transfer window and signed no one to strengthen us. Last January was a freak event.

Cheapskates and arrogant amateurs run our club.

No chance of 4th now...Mark my words...

p.s. and if we play Gerrard in defensive midfield tonight like we did for the Villa game, then i shudder to think what's going to happen..
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:48:22 AM by barticus »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 28, 2014, 08:51:00 PM »
LOL....3 -0 up and we're playing really well...let's maintain this and get the 3 points...cos united are winning also...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 28, 2014, 10:40:47 PM »

I would completely agree with the statement above but the problem is that it's taking it out of context with what happened in reality.....

And there lies the problem. If we don't spend above our valuation, we're tight and, if we do, we've overspent and been 'bent over'.

After some of the 'mares we've had in the transfer market in the past years, I'd rather we stick to our valuation, and if that means not getting the player, then move on. It's not like Salah is a signing worth financially pushing the boat out for.

However, our owners do have history for not 'investing' in January, even when we need it. Remember when we were desperately short of a striker under Dalglish's second stint, and we're within touching distance of fourth, and as a result fell away in the second half of the season.

Then again, after last January, last Summer's window didn't exactly do wonders for inspiring confidence, but it would be a mistake not to strengthen, with the obvious area being midfield.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 28, 2014, 10:41:37 PM »
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 29, 2014, 12:27:30 PM »
Could be very very interesting...

Liverpool have targeted an ambitious move for Yevhen Konoplyanka as Brendan Rodgers looks to make the star signing that will enhance his side's hopes of Champions League qualification.

After missing out on Mohamed Salah to Chelsea, Liverpool have turned their attentions to the Ukraine international, who has been building an impressive reputation at Dnipro.

Konoplyanka - who played in both Ukraine's World Cup qualifiers against England, scoring in the 1-1 draw at Wembley in September 2012 - is highly-regarded and if Liverpool were to capture the 24-year-old's signature in the next 48 hours, they could end up paying as much as £20million for a player who can operate effectively on the flanks or through the middle

Konoplyanka, however, fits the profile of player Liverpool are looking to sign.

If they were able to complete a deal for a player who has represented his country 35 times before this window closes, it would represent something of a coup.

Kyle Walker had a torrid time against Ukraine winger Yevhen Konoplyanka. The 23-year-old Dnipro man is incredibly fast and Walker struggled with that. The Tottenham defender is used to relying on his pace to get him out of trouble but Konoplyanka was faster than him.

From Keown's Match Zone after England 1-1 Ukraine in September 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2547918/Brendan-Rodgers-racing-sign-Yevhen-Konoplyanka-Liverpool.html

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 29, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »
Bart beat me to it, with that Keown quote - I had copied it and was about to paste it here.

so if we have no problems with paying 16 million for Konoplyanka, why was 11 million so hard to find for our first choice (Salah)?

anyroads, I think Salah is best at Chelsea.  He made his bed and he can lie in it.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 30, 2014, 02:36:52 PM »
A tad late but anyroad: WOW! What a performance. Maybe the best in your eyes this season Dude. I mean in terms of controlling things? In my book it was anyway (given the opposition and status of the game). My hope is that Rodgers can use the coming game against WBA to solodify that stability and bring it into the Arsenal game. Said a week or so back the the games against Everton, WBA and Arsenal will, to a large degree, determine the outcome of this season. If we can get 7 or better points out of it we will well and truly be in position to pick up one of the places among Europe's elite next season.

Hats off for Coutinho who was finally back to his creative best, spiced with a physicality to his game I haven't seen before. Also impressed by another solid performance by young Flanagan. Cissokho I feel sorry for actually. You really can tell he suffer from low confidence and knows he'll be out for good as soon as Enrique is back. Sturridge, of course, deserves a special mention. I think it was OK for him to take his chances in a way. Sure, objectively he should've passed it to Suarez but for too long this club's had its fair shair of well-combed and "nice" forwards. I like the "up yours" attitude from Daniel and Suarez.

As I said, very very important, yet winnable game away at WBA on Monday. I expect them to be on a low after last nights derby loss. A win would set us up nicely ahead of the Arsenal game.

Well done Rodgers for yet again reacting so quickly to previous mistakes!!!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 30, 2014, 11:21:58 PM »
I hope we don't turn up at WBA on Monday............  :D I sincerely hope we do so on Sunday though!!

In regards to Enrique he is out for the rest of the season more or less. He may get 10 or 15 minutes here or there in the last game or two - but certainly not before then. So in essence the season is unfortunately over for him.

I do share your sentiments on Cissokho Martin. I also feel sorry for Cissokho in the sense that we all know he isn't up to the job on a long term basis - and he knows that. However he never ever hides, he always tries his best and is always wanting to improve.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 31, 2014, 07:38:44 PM »
WOW! What a performance. Maybe the best in your eyes this season Dude. I mean in terms of controlling things? In my book it was anyway (given the opposition and status of the game).

I didn't catch the game live on tv, Martin...........had to make do with a few text commentaries from the live Guardian feed.

ok, everton were depleted, with injuries, but nevertheless we did turn them over, with quick counter attacks.

gerrard turned up, but he still is nowhere good enough IMHO to play at the back of midfield.

we just have to keep winning from the front.   City are looking good for the title.  But there is no reason why we cannot challenge arsenal and chelsea for the top spots.   I'd hate to think that we were merely fighting for 4th spot (especially this early).

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 31, 2014, 07:40:39 PM »
I hope we don't turn up at WBA on Monday

:D :D :D