October 22, 2020, 07:23:21 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 209031 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #480 on: February 01, 2014, 04:05:21 AM »
That went well then...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:13:00 AM by barticus »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 01, 2014, 04:30:32 AM »
pic.twitter.com/oZ6EbmAPSH

Dion Fanning @dionfanning
Harsh to blame Ayre for the collapse of a complicated deal. It's not as if Liverpool have kept missing out on player after play...oh

Matt Jones @matt_jones92
Ian Ayre forgot his PayPal password and doesn't know his mother's maiden name
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 04:34:26 AM by barticus »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 01, 2014, 12:51:08 PM »
good article from (our) Jim Boardman in the Mirror.

It was a transfer window that gave Liverpool an opportunity to boost their chances of a return to Champions League football, but it was a transfer window that ended in empty-handed disappointment.

The way it ended, with Ian Ayre’s three-day Ukraine trip ending in failure, caused a great deal of anger amongst Reds fans.

That bid itself – to bring Yevhen Konoplyanka in from Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk – may well have been doomed to failure anyway. If the claims being made overnight are true, Dnipropetrovsk’s owner had wasted Liverpool’s time, refusing to sell the player even though Liverpool had met the terms of his release clause and agreed personal terms.

If there is a criticism to be made, it is of the decision to leave it so late to make a move for the player having dithered so long over Mohamed Salah. Further criticism would be aimed at the focus on one particular type of target. Is that because the transfer committee are failing to identify the right candidates or is it down to a lack of funds?

When the window opened it was clear that the Liverpool squad lacked quality in depth, a situation that could derail Liverpool’s hopes of finishing in a Champions League spot. The Reds have a strong side, one capable of beating just about anyone on its day, but the squad is vulnerable if injuries or dips in form take their toll.

The Reds’ absence from European football means it’s less of a problem than for their top four rivals but injuries aren’t only caused by playing lots of games. Liverpool will play just once a week for most of the rest of the season but the squad is down to its bare bones already.

When the window opened it was glaringly obvious that Liverpool needed a full-back. First-choice left-back Jose Enrique was out long-term. First choice right-back Glen Johnson was struggling for form and, we learned later, struggling with injury. Loanee Aly Cissokho, when fit had looked out of his depth. Youngster Jon Flanagan had become something of a saviour, drafted in during an emergency, but was also injured when the window opened.

Liverpool will go into February with Flanagan, Cissokho and Martin Kelly as the only full-backs available, all of which leaves Liverpool vulnerable and makes it odd that the focus was exclusively on bringing in an attacking player.

Top quality competition in every area of the field is important and Rodgers would no doubt have relished having more options alongside Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho, but it’s not an area of the field where there’s an injury crisis to contend with.

That’s not the case in central midfield and again Liverpool are vulnerable in this area. Lucas is out relatively long-term with injury and Joe Allen is in and out with various injuries. Rodgers was criticised against Aston Villa for experimenting with Gerrard in a deeper role but a week later had no choice, with he and Henderson the only experienced central midfielders fit and available.

Gerrard has looked better in his last two games in that deeper role, especially in the derby, but it remains to be seen whether he can sustain that level in that position week in week out for the rest of this season.

Rodgers said recently that he didn’t want the club to sign squad players – he wanted quality players who could come in as first choices. He didn’t get them.

Players like that aren’t cheap and there are question marks about just how much money the Reds have to spend.

A club like Liverpool needs to find that money all by itself. Owners FSG are sticking to their FFP guns and won’t lavish gifts on their manager like some clubs will. They want Liverpool to be self-sufficient and to help in that regard the club are finding new commercial partners all the time. But is all of that money being invested in the squad? As well as cutting the wage bill revenues have shot up in recent years, but has net transfer spending increased in the same way?

It would probably have been a good idea to delay the announcement of two new commercial deals by a few weeks. It’s those deals that will help fund future signings but it’s not what fans want to see Ian Ayre focusing on during the transfer window.

Supporters want to see a new player holding up a Liverpool scarf – instead they got Indonesian airline executives. Supporters want to see a future hero touching the “This Is Anfield” sign – instead they got a huge doughnut.

Missing out on Konoplyanka and losing Salah to Chelsea probably hasn’t made a huge difference to Liverpool’s hopes of getting into the Champions League but it has hit morale amongst fans and that is never a good thing.

The buzz in anticipation of a new signing was massive –but the disappointment at losing out was far greater.

Questions have to be asked of the transfer committee system, or its members, as well as the club’s actual transfer policy. At times it seems haphazard, to put it kindly.

In the meantime it’s important that fans focus any anger away from the players and the manager and stay behind the team. Liverpool are fourth, they’ve just hammered their local rivals 4-0 and if they can keep injuries at bay might even lose that gap on some of those teams above them.

In the meantime John Henry might want to sit down and work out what that transfer committee is smoking.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-transfer-policy-fans-want-3100747#.Uuzpk_ldV4I
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:52:14 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 01, 2014, 06:01:16 PM »
pretty good Saturday

United lose at Stoke - and Spurs draw with Hull

tho Everton did win.

if we can beat WBA, then we are 4 points clear of Everton and 5 clear of Spurs  (and with our great goal difference, it is effectively 5 and 6 points respectively).

United would be 9 points (effectively 10 points) behind us.

With 14 games to go, these points differences begin to take on more importance.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 01, 2014, 10:28:24 PM »
Yeapp, as I sad 2 weeks ago, the upcoming 3 games against Everton, WBA and Arsenal will be seasondefining. If we win tomorrow we definitely open up a gap an put a lot of pressure on the teams behind. You know when a team depends on Naismith to score things ain't looking too bright, do they?  :D
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 01, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »
pretty good Saturday

United lose at Stoke - and Spurs draw with Hull

tho Everton did win.

if we can beat WBA, then we are 4 points clear of Everton and 5 clear of Spurs  (and with our great goal difference, it is effectively 5 and 6 points respectively).

United would be 9 points (effectively 10 points) behind us.

With 14 games to go, these points differences begin to take on more importance.

At the same time, spending 37 million didn't seem to do the trick, did it? I have faith this squad is good enough do drag us over the line. It was a tad sloppy on Salah and unfortonate on Konoplyanka but I sincerely doubt any of the two represents the difference between finishing 4th or not. I'm sure the right people will learn from this. This summer window will, after all, be much more important to get right.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 02, 2014, 03:33:24 PM »
I caught the second half.

we got away with a draw.  WBA were on top in the second half, and if anybody deserved to win it, it was them.

again, as happens far too often, we cannot go on to win a game that we have gone ahead in.  Rodgers has to start looking at himself in the mirror and start learning some lessons.  This stuff is now highly predictable.

in any normal division, a point away from home would be a good result (win your homes, draw your aways, being the rule of thumb).  But in the premiership, that is not good enough.  Especially since we have spent barrow loads of money, in comparison to teams like WBA.

I wish Gerrard would retire and let the club move forward. I hate watching the way he disrupts the team play.  His passes are telegraphed.  You can see him thinking.   

How can a team have any pattern when he dominates the pattern of play so much.  How often do these passes come off.  How much do others play have to suffer before someone says ENOUGH.

Disappointed today.  We had a chance to stay on the tails of the top 3.  Now it is turning into two mini leagues (city, arsenal and chelsea for the title..........and everton spurs and liverpool, for 4th spot).

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 02, 2014, 04:01:48 PM »
Bitterly disappointed and sad with the attitude of the players today. No will, no grit, no urge to change the run of play last 25. If we lose out on 4th we may very well look back on this game and think this is where we bottled it. I despair at the though we could hardly create a chance during the last half hour bar that one-on-one for Sturridge which was a clear penalty. How Foster got away with that two footed lounge I don't understand.

I also think Rodgers got it wrong with his team selection. Sterling is just useless in games like these. Henderson was back to his headless chicken antics. Sturridge put most of his energy into doing things sooo much more difficult than they have to be and Coutinho was completely lost. I think we would've stood up better in the center of the park with Allen instead of Henderson or Coutinho.

Defeat to Arsenal and it's all over I reckon.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 02, 2014, 06:29:01 PM »
We're obviously hanging back for bets. Hey why make it easy on ourselves? Without any back up squad this is going to be the typical result. Too much money spent on nonsense like Aspas and the like.
And too many players out on bloody loan. Borini played very well yesterday and Suso should never have gone anywhere.

Gerrard looked knackered and played like he did against Villa. Allen would have been a better choice to start at least.
I'm also not sure why flanaghan can't go back and play as left back with kelly on the right. I would suggest Toure is looking very long in the tooth now which is probably why Citeh let him go.

If we scrape 4th then a massive investment is needed, in order for Suarez just remain interested in our 'project'.
With no fourth we don't have to worry about that anyway.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 03, 2014, 08:31:07 AM »
Still disappointed but feel, after a few hours contemplation and reflection, that my expectations might exceed what's realistic to ask of the team. There are currently 3 teams capable to change the run of play the last 20 to secure a win and all 3 of  them are placed above us. Roder's had some 18 months to develop the team and it just as well to admit he haven't reach that stage yet where we play badly for 70 minutes and yet manage to pull off a win. To get there we probably need 2 new fullbacks 1 midfielder and 1-2 CB's.

Arsenal home really have become a make or break game as a consequence of yesterday's result. I think it'll be another draw though.

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 03, 2014, 02:29:33 PM »
Still disappointed but feel, after a few hours contemplation and reflection, that my expectations might exceed what's realistic to ask of the team. There are currently 3 teams capable to change the run of play the last 20 to secure a win and all 3 of  them are placed above us. Roder's had some 18 months to develop the team and it just as well to admit he haven't reach that stage yet where we play badly for 70 minutes and yet manage to pull off a win. To get there we probably need 2 new fullbacks 1 midfielder and 1-2 CB's.

Arsenal home really have become a make or break game as a consequence of yesterday's result. I think it'll be another draw though.

Come on you redmen!!!

If we can't beat a team in the relegation zone when we have a gilt edged chance of moving away from any other challengers for 4th and 9 above manure, then we might as well give up.
Shiite transfer policy all round has cost us big style. Pretty damning as well that Aspas, Alberto and Moses were not even close to coming on when we've had 3 games in 8 days and playing with such a small squad.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 03, 2014, 04:08:06 PM »
If we can't beat a team in the relegation zone when we have a gilt edged chance of moving away from any other challengers for 4th and 9 above manure, then we might as well give up.
Shiite transfer policy all round has cost us big style. Pretty damning as well that Aspas, Alberto and Moses were not even close to coming on when we've had 3 games in 8 days and playing with such a small squad.

Then again, half the league's in the relegation zone so... The transfer policy had zip, zero, nil to do with the fact we didn't have the mental edge to up our game last 20 to win it. Hopefully Rodgers will get the team there next season. It'll be a nailbiter for 4th right down to the wire.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 05, 2014, 01:31:30 PM »

countinhio and sturridge aside, our transfer committee at Anfield have been very very poor.

e.g. did any of these guys go out and watch Cissokho before bringing him the the club.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 05, 2014, 07:51:32 PM »
Harsh IMHO, I would say they got Sakho pretty spot on. I'm confident when we summarize his Liverpool-career he'll be up there with Hansen, Hyppiä and Carra.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 06, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »
Harsh IMHO, I would say they got Sakho pretty spot on. I'm confident when we summarize his Liverpool-career he'll be up there with Hansen, Hyppiä and Carra.

Sakho looks good

but these last 4 or 5 years, we have bought an awful lot of turkeys.

it's one thing if competition (for your position) keeps you out; but quite another if you are not technically good enough to get in the side.   e.g. Cisshoko

how does a sub-standard player (technically wise) ever get to this level.   How does he get past so many people (scouts) and make it to a top club.