October 27, 2020, 09:59:29 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 209986 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #495 on: February 08, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »
4-0 against Everton. 4-0 at HT against the leaders. There should be no doubt anymore we're going places. THERE'S ONLY ONEE BRENDAN RODGERS, ONE BRENDAN RODGERS!!!!

COME ON YOU REDMEN!!!!!!!!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: February 08, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »
As I said, we're going places under Rodgers. What a wonderful slaughter of the most overrated team in the league. We're just a one man team, a one man team! Stick it up where it belong you fukin media. Let's beat Fulham and hope the Mancs can do us a favor and we're right up there!!!!

COME ON YOU REDMEN!!!!!!!!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: February 08, 2014, 03:58:46 PM »
In the first 20 minutes we were awesome...the early goal put the a.rse on the defensive and we could then counter.
I liked how Rodgers finally ruled us out of the title race before this game, lo and behold the pressure is off the players and we play like that.
Also Rodgers must now see the difference between futile possession and game dominance now, in this game it was 41%, and we absolutely murdered them on the counter.
If we play as well as this for the rest of the season, then 4th can be ours.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 04:09:06 PM by barticus »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: February 08, 2014, 10:50:41 PM »
There's every reason to aim higher mate!  :) We're going places under Rodgers. There's only one Brendan Rodgers, one Brendan Rodgers!!!

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: February 10, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »
A fantastic result.

And I see the media have finally caught up.   There is always a time lag between something happening and them finally figuring it out.     Our performances in the final weeks of November and early weeks of December, were those of a title winning team.

We lagged in late December.   But performances in recent weeks now see us again playing breath-taking football.   The media have not caught on.

Our football is Keeganesque in it's focus on attack.  And we have areas of the team that are limited. 

If we can keep up this level of performance - and treat the final 13 league games as cup finals, we could win the title.

But consistency is what is hampering us.   
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: February 10, 2014, 05:30:05 PM »
And over at Old Trafford, things go from bad to worse.

They are playing awful football.  They have abandoned playing with out and out wingers.  They are not passing and breaking at speed.  Their defence is a shambles.   And they now will lose Vidic and Ferdinand this summer. 

The Fergie Fear Factor is gone.   The belief is gone.  Other sides now smell anxiety and fear.

They need to build a new team this coming summer. I think they need to replace at least half of the team.   That is a massive undertaking.  And as we saw with Spurs this past summer, spending barrow-loads of money is no guarantee of success.  And how does spending 100 to 150 million, on half a dozen top new players, sit with the Glazers, who already are in many hundreds of million pounds of debt at United (and most likely no Champions League football next year, or maybe for a while).

The Glazers are in new uncharted waters.  They have only ever known success - and all via a special manager, in Alex Ferguson.  This is all new to them.  How will they handle adversity.  Will they let Moyes have more time, or will he be replaced in the summer.  I think most people are overly confident that Moyes will get more time.  I can imagine (rightly or wrongly) that they will bring in a new man at the end of the season.

I see so many similarities between United now and Liverpool in the early 90s.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:35:17 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 10, 2014, 05:44:58 PM »
And I forgot to add - the Financial Fair Play rules may hinder United's rebuild.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 11, 2014, 09:35:46 AM »
A fantastic result.

And I see the media have finally caught up.   There is always a time lag between something happening and them finally figuring it out.     Our performances in the final weeks of November and early weeks of December, were those of a title winning team.

We lagged in late December.   But performances in recent weeks now see us again playing breath-taking football.   The media have not caught on.

Our football is Keeganesque in it's focus on attack.  And we have areas of the team that are limited. 

If we can keep up this level of performance - and treat the final 13 league games as cup finals, we could win the title.

But consistency is what is hampering us.

Yes indeed breathtaking footy at its best. Beating Everton and Arsenal 9-1 really really puts us in the mix. It's incredibly important we can keep the focus in the upcoming four games against Fulham, Swansea, So'ton and Sunderland. I would expect nothing less than 10 points from these games if we are to have any chance to push City and Chelsea all the way. It pleases me to hear the players come out realising this was just one game, that we can't afford to dwell on it but instead shift focus to the tricky Fulham away fixture.

Even though they got the most unlikely point of the season and should be all fired up for the game against us, surely that point must've cost them a lot of energy? Hence it's vital the game's not postponed.

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 11, 2014, 11:31:17 AM »
And over at Old Trafford, things go from bad to worse.

They are playing awful football.  They have abandoned playing with out and out wingers.  They are not passing and breaking at speed.  Their defence is a shambles.   And they now will lose Vidic and Ferdinand this summer. 

The Fergie Fear Factor is gone.   The belief is gone.  Other sides now smell anxiety and fear.

They need to build a new team this coming summer. I think they need to replace at least half of the team.   That is a massive undertaking.  And as we saw with Spurs this past summer, spending barrow-loads of money is no guarantee of success.  And how does spending 100 to 150 million, on half a dozen top new players, sit with the Glazers, who already are in many hundreds of million pounds of debt at United (and most likely no Champions League football next year, or maybe for a while).

The Glazers are in new uncharted waters.  They have only ever known success - and all via a special manager, in Alex Ferguson.  This is all new to them.  How will they handle adversity.  Will they let Moyes have more time, or will he be replaced in the summer.  I think most people are overly confident that Moyes will get more time.  I can imagine (rightly or wrongly) that they will bring in a new man at the end of the season.

I see so many similarities between United now and Liverpool in the early 90s.

I hear what you say mate, and although I agree a lot I also reckon there's a difference between how things really are and how we would like them to be. I would wait another year or two before asserting their objective downfall from power with such certainty.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 11, 2014, 10:04:19 PM »
Absofuckingluetly made up to see the Chavs drop points at the Hawthorn.  ;D ;D ;D

Come on you redmen!!!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 12, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »
Even though they got the most unlikely point of the season and should be all fired up for the game against us, surely that point must've cost Fulham a lot of energy? Hence it's vital the game's not postponed.

Fulham have lost their last two home games.  Indeed, they have lost four of their last six home games.

Liverpool have won four and drawn two, of their last six away games.

So we should at least pick up a point, and in the vast majority of cases, win by a few goals.

I will predict a 4-1 victory.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 06:04:33 PM by the dude abides »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 12, 2014, 06:03:52 PM »
I hear what you say mate, and although I agree a lot I also reckon there's a difference between how things really are and how we would like them to be. I would wait another year or two before asserting their objective downfall from power with such certainty.

oh, with their massive worldwide fan-base, and money potential, they will be (like post-early-90s Liverpool i.e. since the end of our era of domination) there or there-abouts.

but importantly, their era of absolute domination would appear to be over.

Fergie was a special manager......a one-off.  He is irreplaceable.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 12, 2014, 06:09:57 PM »
Absofuckingluetly made up to see the Chavs drop points at the Hawthorn.  ;D ;D ;D

ifonly we had not dropped stupid points, we would be sitting at the top of the tree......or within 3 points.

if we can keep the pressure on - and treat these final 13 games as cup finals, we will be in the mix.

indeed IMHO if we win all 13 games, we will definitely be champions.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 12, 2014, 07:31:26 PM »
ifonly we had not dropped stupid points, we would be sitting at the top of the tree......or within 3 points.

if we can keep the pressure on - and treat these final 13 games as cup finals, we will be in the mix.

indeed IMHO if we win all 13 games, we will definitely be champions.

Yeah, I agree. But at least we gifted them that goal, rather than conceding from being outplayed.

Have a feeling United will do us a favor tonite. Let's just hope we can keep the same energy level tonite we did on Saturday. If we do that we should be OK.

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 12, 2014, 10:20:51 PM »
Now if that wasn't a cup win!!!!! This team's come a long way this season despite the CB's being the opponents best players. Surely this must be Toure's last game this season now that Agger's back? Skrtel again put the team in a difficult situation with a costly and totally unnecessary mistake.

Cred must go to Sturridge who's become a new leader in the team. He's so good it's unbelieveable.
If only Suarez can find the goal again. But by the look of itt he's playing for the team which is priceless.

Coutinho was actually quite wasteful but is forgiven for the equaliser.

Cissokho had another solid performance and so did Flanagan who needs to work on his delieveries into the box though. Terrible crossing.

Gerrard's getting better and better by the game and the way he took that penalty you have to take your hat off for the captain.

Henderson was quite a Disappointment. He really really lack the break through ability. Fair enough he's working hard and passes the ball sideways very well, but his overall contribution was quite disappointing.

Sterling was excellent first 30 but eventually faded. Was a tad surprised to see young Txeira get some game time.

All in all a fantastic victory that may prove a turning point for this team. Wins like these often sees team take major leaps in development.

Very proud and happy of the redmen!!!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 10:21:56 PM by Martinmarx »