February 26, 2020, 01:27:49 PM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 164338 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #540 on: February 24, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »
Anyone know where Lucas is back? I have a feeling he'll be key, that 2 week break might be a blessing in disguise if we can sit him in front of the defence and steady the line.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 25, 2014, 09:30:59 AM »
Anyone know where Lucas is back? I have a feeling he'll be key, that 2 week break might be a blessing in disguise if we can sit him in front of the defence and steady the line.

I'd say that would be the only aspect in which the two weak break can be seen as a blessing. I'm dead worried what it means to our momentum we won't have a competitive game in that time.

As for Lucas I haven't heard anything which might indicate he's still some time from a return given that articles about Sakho's return starts to pop up. Reckon we'll get more information at the end of the week.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 25, 2014, 06:46:44 PM »
can't wait to see Lucas back.

Gerrard is embarrassingly bad in the middle of the park.   He was rubbish first half v swansea.   Their first goal can be credited to his lazy efforts at tracking or defending.  He was lazy for their second too.

It is no coincidence that we are conceding far too many goals this past month - when Captain Marvel is in the team, we might as well raise the white flag in the middle of the park. 

And with nothing in front of them, our poor central defence are left entirely exposed.

And did anyone catch the yarn that Rodgers was trying to spin, that you cannot coach how to defend.

What a load of tripe.  The problem starts with identifying the underlying issue - namely, the lack of support that our central midfield is giving our defence.

We now have 11 cup finals.  If we win them all, we will win the league title.

But, I do fear that Southampton could ruin our season this weekend. 

We cannot go on riding our luck, like we have been doing (by throwing away needless goals).  Sooner, rather than later, one's luck will run out.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:51:13 PM by the dude abides »
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 26, 2014, 10:17:03 AM »
Nah. Riding our luck? When? Gerrard had a shot in the inside of the post in the 90th. Suarez denied an obvious penalty while Bony was given a very soft one. I wouldn't say we've been particularly lucky in the sense Chelsea was against the Toffees. We haven't been all that bad defensively against the top 5 teams conceding 7 in 4 games (all away).

But I agree with your general Point our midfield is totally unable to provide cover for the defense, although Skrte's decision to go for a free-kick and constantly pulling shirts in the box doesn't help.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 26, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
Have seen a compilation of Allen's cameo and I have to say he must start at St. Mary's. I cannot for the life of it understand the hype surrounding Henderson's performance against Swansea. I thought Allen was everything Henderson wasn't, except those two goals.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 28, 2014, 02:18:26 PM »
I agree with your general Point our midfield is totally unable to provide cover for the defense, although Skrte's decision to go for a free-kick and constantly pulling shirts in the box doesn't help.

in my team - gerrard would play on the right side of midfield - or he would not play at all.

we are going to drift out of the title race (most likely this weekend) primarily because our central midfield is providing no cover for our defence.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 28, 2014, 07:37:20 PM »

in my team - gerrard would play on the right side of midfield - or he would not play at all.

we are going to drift out of the title race (most likely this weekend) primarily because our central midfield is providing no cover for our defence.

Tomorrow's game will decide it all I'd say, Dude. A defeat and 4th might all of a sudden be in danger. A win, on the other hand, would give us 2 weeks to prepare and set us up for the ManU game (they play Olympiakos just 3 Days after us, remember). Being 4 Points off the summit with 11 games to go I think it's only fair to suggest we should aim at nothing less than a win. I don't mean to sound overconfident or arrogant towards So'ton. But it is So'ton after all, regardless of our bad track record at their place.

I know it won't happen but based on his cameo agains the Swans I'd Allen's a key to get a hold of the midfield tomorrow. As per usual it'll be Henderson who starts with Coutinho in front of Gerrard. No surprises for Pochettino there, I'm afraid. Don't think it would be fair or wise to throw Sakho into the mix although he's by far our best CB having been out for 2 months.

For a change I'd like us to start slowly and patiently take over the run of play.

Dead nervous either way.

Come on you redmen!!!!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 01, 2014, 06:23:00 PM »
Unreal we're ahead att half-time after that!!! Our midfield is non-existant in this game and finally it should be clear that Henderson is just a media Product - hyped beyond recognition.

Rodger's need to take Coutinho as he's having a stinker really. He also needs to get the team a tad shorter as we're providing oceans of space in the center (just as we did against Swansea). We really need to play 4-5-1 in the 2nd half as 4-3-3 doesn't provide the Tools to break the run of play. Gerrard is totally lost.

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 01, 2014, 10:13:47 PM »
Impressive 2nd half, although neither Henderson, nor Coutinho improved. Can't Believe how lazy Coutinho look sometimes, it's like he doesn't care if the opposition scores.

Hats off for Suarez who put in a brilliant performance and had a finger or two in all goals. Also impressed by Allen and Sterling's cameo.

All in all a brutally important win that sees us take huge strides towards finishing 4th, if not better.

Well done you redmen!!!

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 02, 2014, 11:12:03 AM »
An interesting game where we rode our luck as usual...
great result though and being effectively 15 points clear of united and now 9 (10) clear of 5th is pretty damn fine as well. Without the brilliance of the sterling, suarez and sturridge we would be nowhere near top 4...suarez was brilliant yesterday and never stopped working..
defensive midfield is still the main problem as the defense needs that extra man to mop up...gerrard isn't doing it...but i thought allen did his job...
forget the players on the bench like aspas, alberto and moses...they need to be sold and high quality replacements are needed...then we'll have strength in depth...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 02, 2014, 01:10:09 PM »
What's that about "rode our luck as per usual". We've had, by far, more hits in the woodwork than any other team. It's not to ask too much our opponents hit the post intstead of scoring a once-in-a-lifetime-goal (se Ramsey, Shelvey et.al for reference). They had a 20 minute spell where we were played off the park but worked hard (except Henderson and Coutinho) to drag us over the half-time line. In the 2nd half there was practically only on team on the pitch, as there were the opening 20 so in the end it was a fair and just win.

Rodger's taking this club places despite promises from some he ain't up for it. This is the best season I've experienced since the advent of the PL.

Come on you redmen!!!

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 02, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
one more down - ten more cup finals to come.

rode our luck - the saints dominated chunks of the game.

but as usual, our offence leads the way.

suarez is world class - he takes us from average to top notch.

central midfield continues to be our key problem area.

other teams should not be bossing midfield like they do against us.  Gerrard is way way out of his depth.

if we had a top class central midfielder, we would walk this league title.

10 more cup finals...............we win them, we win the league.   Yesterday's win was a major hurdle overcome.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 02, 2014, 05:32:36 PM »

Rodger's taking this club places despite promises from some he ain't up for it.

Rodgers is showing signs of improvement in some areas...most importantly in attack which is a great thing...
and he's realised all the 'total possession' stats effectively mean nothing...
but he still has much to tighten up on...like midfield and defense...
Martin, we're allowed to voice an opinion mate, cos the last time i looked we weren't in Soviet Anfield. And before criticising us who do want our team to tighten up glaring problems, keep in mind your post game contents for far more negatives than we can muster...

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 04, 2014, 09:19:30 AM »
Rodgers is showing signs of improvement in some areas...most importantly in attack which is a great thing...
and he's realised all the 'total possession' stats effectively mean nothing...
but he still has much to tighten up on...like midfield and defense...
Martin, we're allowed to voice an opinion mate, cos the last time i looked we weren't in Soviet Anfield. And before criticising us who do want our team to tighten up glaring problems, keep in mind your post game contents for far more negatives than we can muster...

Bart mate, sorry if you got the feeling I didn't allow you your opinion. That was never my intention. Always thought some didn't give him a fair crack at the whip and got too personal too soon when "criticising" him. That's all.

Yes, I'm negative at times. Can't help it, and, come to think of it, why should I? But I would like to think I also am willing to give cred where it's due.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 16, 2014, 12:19:23 PM »
get ready to rumble.

either our title hopes end today - or United's dream of Champions League football ends.

I hope we hit them hard from the start.

But I fear Gerrard - and his defensive midfield role.  Type of game where he will feck up.