November 30, 2020, 04:09:33 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 214779 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #570 on: March 22, 2014, 09:09:16 PM »
No disrespect Tes but that stinks of negativity. We have an opportunity to do something this season and whilst we have that chance we must go for it and not think of the "what ifs" next season.

Also in regards to the defence we've had injuries to all the backline at one time or another this season whilst the teams around us have a settled back four. Certainly the full back area is one which needs major investment in however I think you're being a tad bit over critical.

Thanks, Edward, non taken, mate. I did caveat the 'negativity' bit. I'm not saying "let's not", obviously. No one will underplay our name being on the League Championship roll of honour for 2013/14 because of 'any perceived advantage we may somehow have had', in the same way we've got 5 European Cups, even though the fifth was won on penalties etc, etc. Who remembers Bayern hitting the post when they were one up and uses that to diminish Taggart's 'treble'? (Apart from me  ;D).

I've no problems if you're satisfied with our central defenders but my heart's done no favours with Skrtel being a fixture. Agger I feel is 'too comfortable' - he reminds me of how Riise ended up and Toure was a free for a reason. I'm not being negative but it's the small details that ultimately end up being a difference maker. Ultimately, we score more than we give the opposition, so a win's, a win's, a win. And I won't complain about that.

You'll just have to put it down to the fact that I don't ever see things in isolation, but as part of something bigger. Conceding three goals against Cardiff City is no problem when we score six in reply - so I'll keep my thoughts about how it could relate to when Chelsea and Man City visit Anfield to myself, likewise the 'what ifs' when we we lead at Stamford Bridge and the Etihad, as they're discussions for another time I sense.  ;)
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 22, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
At one end, yes. But we've still got the same problems at the other. It's why I haven't been on for a while. I got sick of banging on about the 'same old' all the time.

We've taken full advantage of no European football or cup runs (stroke of bad luck getting Arsenal in one and the Mancs in the other), and it's good to see Rodgers learning from last season's mistakes, credit to him for being able to do that, and his handling of the media has matured this season also.

With Arsenal getting whopped (4-0 as I write, sorry 6-0) by Chelsea, a win against Cardiff could see us consolidate third place.

I think it's unrealistic to expect us to win it this season and it would work against us next season as we wouldn't be able to match it when we'd have CL football (and traveling) to contend with. So finishing third (whether a point or two or just goal difference) behind City and maybe three points off Chelsea would show marked progress, but progress that we could realistically maintain again next season by consolidating ourselves in the top four (preferably top 3) whilst also attempting to get out of the group stages in the CL.

I'd much prefer us to make steady, solid progress that can be sustained year after year, than make rapid progress this year, only to see us drop back in the league because we have European football to contend with next season.

A third place finish would also help the owners to back Rodgers with funds, as we know we are definitely in the CL group stages. A 4th place finish would be so much more problematical and create too much uncertainty.

Considering the depth of our squad, the areas that need improving in the first 11 and the lack of depth beneath the areas of the first team that look good, third would be a superb achievement and one that we could solidify next season if the right purchases are made this Summer.

We have to learn to walk first. Finishing a close third this season with no European football, repeating it again next season whilst finishing closer to the eventual winner AND getting out of the group stage first time back in the CL since what seems like forever, would constitute sustainable progress and it's the sustainability of the progress we make which is the key thing.

I'd settle for scraping third on the last day of next season, with the same points gap between us and 1st, if we could add a trophy, as well as getting out of the group stages, even if we were to narrowly go out of the CL at the first knockout stage. It's all steady, solid progress, which will help build a better future. Much better than having a great season this season (missing out on the title by a point, but finishing comfortably second) but dropping back to struggling to return to the top four again next season because European football was to make such a huge difference to our league season.

I don't want to appear negative, but I'm seeing things this way because this season we were playing without European football, without half our squad playing off the back of a World Cup, our preseason wasn't as dis-jointed as this Summer's is likely to prove, and the World Cup always makes it harder to sign players.  Then there's the question mark over whether we will have enough funds to sign both the quality and quantity of players needed to allow us to replicate this season's league performance, with all the other factors in play that we didn't have this season.

So I'm looking at this and next season in combination, rather than just this season in isolation and how collectively they influence the picture going forward over the next 5-10 seasons.

Sorry mate but I don't agree one bit with that. This idea you seem to have footy is a linear is misguided, at best, I think. I don't think you're acknowledging at all the progress Rodgers and the players have done this season (about a year ago this forum was high on telling anyone willing to listen how we'd be in the same position a year from now simply beause Rafa wasn't the manager). We're playing a football I haven't seen in over 2 decades and the neutrals are watching us in awe, journous are talking about us with utter respect, the travelling kop is singing "we're gonna win the league" with a confidence they didn't have 5 years ago. What more could you ask for really? You really shold embrace this moment rather than speculating on things no one can have a realistic take on today.

Again mate. Spurs 5-0, Everton 4-0, Arsenal 5-1, So'ton 3-0. United 3-0. I know I am proud as fork and even if we drop back next season, what we're doing right now will carry this club for a decade so lets just sit down, have a beer and enjoy this crazy rise. 6-3 against Cardiff. We're so good it's unbelieveable thanks to Rodgers genius.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 22, 2014, 10:23:09 PM »
Let me put it another way. Before the first ball of the season had been kicked, looking at everything, funds available, squad strengths, new signings, experience of the relative managers, past performance over the previous two seasons, all the pros and cons, the amount of ground and points to make up, and all the mass of relevant factors I've omitted, finishing fifth and getting back into Europe, finishing above two teams we'd failed to finish above under two different managers, was the size of the task, just to get back to having European football of any sort at Anfield.

Now, I'll be as sick as a dead dog if we're facing a CL qualifier next season. I don't want 2013/14 to join 2008/09, 2001/02, 2000/01 (possibly, though not for quite the same reason as the others) and 1996-97 in looking to be the start of something then proving to be mere pinnacles of the few years either side.

Read: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2007/feb/15/onsecondthoughtsroyevans

Paragraphs 4 onwards perfectly encapsulates who we are (hopefully were) and what we've become (hopefully became) since 1990. It's because I'm desperate to leave it behind that I see it as I do.

Let the Blackburns and Newcastles have the one seasons in the sun. We want to get back to having an all year round tan again.

Talking of (fake) tan (sorry Martin and 224, old habits die hard  ;D), before the owners think of budgets and Summer signings, the manager's two year extension should be sorted the day after the season ends. For purposes of stability of course, you understand.  ;D

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 22, 2014, 10:27:35 PM »
Thanks, Edward, non taken, mate. I did caveat the 'negativity' bit. I'm not saying "let's not", obviously. No one will underplay our name being on the League Championship roll of honour for 2013/14 because of 'any perceived advantage we may somehow have had', in the same way we've got 5 European Cups, even though the fifth was won on penalties etc, etc. Who remembers Bayern hitting the post when they were one up and uses that to diminish Taggart's 'treble'? (Apart from me  ;D).

I've no problems if you're satisfied with our central defenders but my heart's done no favours with Skrtel being a fixture. Agger I feel is 'too comfortable' - he reminds me of how Riise ended up and Toure was a free for a reason. I'm not being negative but it's the small details that ultimately end up being a difference maker. Ultimately, we score more than we give the opposition, so a win's, a win's, a win. And I won't complain about that.

You'll just have to put it down to the fact that I don't ever see things in isolation, but as part of something bigger. Conceding three goals against Cardiff City is no problem when we score six in reply - so I'll keep my thoughts about how it could relate to when Chelsea and Man City visit Anfield to myself, likewise the 'what ifs' when we we lead at Stamford Bridge and the Etihad, as they're discussions for another time I sense.  ;)

Few, if any teams, have performed like we did at SB and the Etihad. Remember it was in the span of 3 days. So robbed  at the Bridge by Webb denying us a peno. Also hade a legitimate call at Eitihad. I fell most people thought we got away from those game  with less than we  deserved. Agree with you on Agger and Skrtel. At the same time we need to look at the TEAM and how it has evolved over the past 12 months. It's incredible really. It's like we don't care when we conded against Cardiff knowing we'll outscore them. Few other team has that mental strength and is the reason I won't rule us out of winning the title just yet.

City will play United and Arsenal away next week. If they win both it'll be difficult, if they drop Points in either or both it's game on indeed. Chelsea play Pulis' CP away befor hosting Stoke. We'll see how it goes.

Haven't been this happy since the 80s really. :D
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 22, 2014, 10:40:25 PM »
Let me put it another way. Before the first ball of the season had been kicked, looking at everything, funds available, squad strengths, new signings, experience of the relative managers, past performance over the previous two seasons, all the pros and cons, the amount of ground and points to make up, and all the mass of relevant factors I've omitted, finishing fifth and getting back into Europe, finishing above two teams we'd failed to finish above under two different managers, was the size of the task, just to get back to having European football of any sort at Anfield.

Now, I'll be as sick as a dead dog if we're facing a CL qualifier next season. I don't want 2013/14 to join 2008/09, 2001/02, 2000/01 (possibly, though not for quite the same reason as the others) and 1996-97 in looking to be the start of something then proving to be mere pinnacles of the few years either side.

Read: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2007/feb/15/onsecondthoughtsroyevans

Paragraphs 4 onwards perfectly encapsulates who we are (hopefully were) and what we've become (hopefully became) since 1990. It's because I'm desperate to leave it behind that I see it as I do.

Let the Blackburns and Newcastles have the one seasons in the sun. We want to get back to having an all year round tan again.

Talking of (fake) tan (sorry Martin and 224, old habits die hard  ;D), before the owners think of budgets and Summer signings, the manager's two year extension should be sorted the day after the season ends. For purposes of stability of course, you understand.  ;D

Been quite hard on the ale tonight so my Swenglish might be worse than usual.  ;D I do understand where you come from Tes, as I more often than not share the same feeling it's just another false dawn (I am extremly weary of predicting results or outcomes at other forums as a way to avoid jinxing it). But today it struck me it isn't just Another 01/02 or 08/09. At half time one of the Swedish pundits (who I hold in very high regard) said in relation to the question whether the 2-2 result was us cracking under the pressure of being title contenders: "What impresses me the most this half is the fact Liverpool seem completely unmoved by conceding 2 to Cardiff. They seem to accept they will concede a goal or two here and there knowing and believing full well they're capable to outscore the opponent." That's when I realised Rodger's has managed to take the team to a level that will ensure us this isn't a one off. And before you know it we were 4-2 up and it was game over. We may not win it but I have the feeling Rodgers has managed to exorcist the ghosts of the past. He's made it a "thing" to wear the Liverbird on the chest. For that I am humble and grateful irrespective of how the rest of the season pans out.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 22, 2014, 10:51:56 PM »
Sorry mate but I don't agree one bit with that. This idea you seem to have footy is a linear is misguided, at best, I think. I don't think you're acknowledging at all the progress Rodgers and the players have done this season (about a year ago this forum was high on telling anyone willing to listen how we'd be in the same position a year from now simply beause Rafa wasn't the manager). We're playing a football I haven't seen in over 2 decades and the neutrals are watching us in awe, journous are talking about us with utter respect, the travelling kop is singing "we're gonna win the league" with a confidence they didn't have 5 years ago. What more could you ask for really? You really shold embrace this moment rather than speculating on things no one can have a realistic take on today.

Again mate. Spurs 5-0, Everton 4-0, Arsenal 5-1, So'ton 3-0. United 3-0. I know I am proud as fork and even if we drop back next season, what we're doing right now will carry this club for a decade so lets just sit down, have a beer and enjoy this crazy rise. 6-3 against Cardiff. We're so good it's unbelieveable thanks to Rodgers genius.

Thanks, Martin. Home, sweet, home. If only football was as simple as being mere linear.  ;D

I agree with you that going forward we're the nearest we've been to the red machine we once were since we stopped being the Red sea that swept away all in it's path. The bit about journos is the only downside to the whole ride. It was sickening reading Martin 'Bluto' Samuels the other day defending us against all the Manc comments in the Mail. They've been glad enough to stick the knife in, now they're inviting us round for dinner to eat with those same knives.

Anywho...........good to see you're well Martin. Give my regards to Rofa.  ;D

I feel sooooooooooooo misunderstood. I yearn for the days of losing away to the likes of the newly promoted Cardiffs and Hull Citys of this world. Wait a minu.......t........................e.. .....................didn't we................... ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 22, 2014, 11:04:28 PM »
It's a bit like going all out to get more p!ssed than you ever have before, just to see how far you can take it and just how much alcohol the human body really can take, but at the same knowing and having to face up to the fact you may face the most absolute Motherf@cka of a hangover, feeling things you didn't think it was humanly possible to have to feel and still actually be alive to feel them.

Still, I guess it could be worse. Being a Manc fan for example. Their hangover could become excruciating.

And as Martin mentioned journos. Isn't it strange how they're not mentioning all the things we've always said about Taggart's unholy influence on English football, all being born out in less than one season. My ears are ringing from their silence.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 24, 2014, 01:24:55 PM »
Certainly the full back area is one which needs major investment

So who should we be looking at for the fullback positions? And what needs to happen re Johnson's contract situation, especially with Real supposedly sniffing around?

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 24, 2014, 06:00:22 PM »
So who should we be looking at for the fullback positions? And what needs to happen re Johnson's contract situation, especially with Real supposedly sniffing around?

Real sniffing around who? Johnson?!?!  hahaha doubt that when they have Carvajhal and Ramos.

I would offer Johnson another contract but on reduced terms but with better incentives.

I'd have Flanagan and Enrique as our back up full backs and Johnson on the right means we need a left back. I'd target a number of left backs that are attainable to us:- Ricardo Rodriguez from Wolfsberg, De Sciglio at Milan, Ansaldi at Zenit, Ben Davies at Swansea. Hell I'd even offer Ashley Cole a 1 year deal.

My dream signing would be De Sciglio but imo he wouldn't leave Milan for another couple of years. My next preference would be Rodriguez.

For me Luke Shaw is unattainable. He is Chelsea bound imo.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 25, 2014, 12:20:21 PM »
United!

Damn, that felt good!  :D

The mere thing I'm supporting United to win to help us is Amazing.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 25, 2014, 12:42:06 PM »
United!

Never.

Amen.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 25, 2014, 01:28:52 PM »
United!

The moment we start supporting the enemy is the moment we are truly lost.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 25, 2014, 08:42:36 PM »
So, given the choice between them losing a derby and us winning no 19 you'd prefer the former, right? Not sure I'm the one who's lost to be honest, mate.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 25, 2014, 09:07:32 PM »
So, given the choice between them losing a derby and us winning no 19 you'd prefer the former, right? Not sure I'm the one who's lost to be honest, mate.

Martin, absolutely yes....united beating city was never on the cards....and the moment we start whoring our selves out to the manure scum is the day i stop believing...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 25, 2014, 11:49:32 PM »
First thing Monday morning I went to the local pet shop and bought two budgies, one the shop owner had called Fergie, the other Moyesy, strange coincidence, I realise. Anyway, I decided to have them all the same, as the cage at home was empty.
 The funniest thing happened when I put them in the cage. Fergie went and settled bang slap in the middle of the top perch (there are three perches all together). Moyesy flew around the cage for a while then sort of swooped down to land on the top perch but got it totally wrong and took Fergie straight off it (in what looked like a dive bombing action). Unfortunately they both had bad landings and are now both lying feet up, stiff as concrete on the base of the cage.

They were bought as a replacement for my last budgie, which was called Brendan, that managed to escape the cage and now has taken up residency in a neighbour's budgie cage.

I don't seem to have much luck with the birds, so I'll stick to the 'wine' and 'song'' in future, and David Coverdale can keep his 'women'.

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHpxwwAAKm4 - for the 'uneducated'  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFS-91Qhwdw - do we recognise what Bernie Marsden's wearing (guitarist on the left as you look at stage)

:D :D :D

great to see you back, Tes.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.