December 04, 2020, 09:00:07 PM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 215568 times)

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #600 on: April 06, 2014, 04:53:29 PM »
Flanagan needs to come off NOW! I'd fornicating rather see Jones as LB for 2n half. His pisspoor defending led to their corner and equaliser. Again the referee is killing our chances to win the title.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 06, 2014, 06:01:30 PM »
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

we have done it

away to west ham was always gonna be one of our toughest games - due to the physical nature of allardyce's sides

now it goes down to next Sunday.......super sunday, or suicide sunday!

if we could beat city at anfield (and swansea get a result at home to a tired CL-fecked Chelsea).

5 cup finals to go - one of the hardest ones was won today.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 06, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »
BTW the standard of refereeing is woeful these days.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 06, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »
Flanagan needs to come off NOW! I'd fornicating rather see Jones as LB for 2n half. His pisspoor defending led to their corner and equaliser. Again the referee is killing our chances to win the title.

Actually Martin I thought Flanagan had a good game today.

But for me our two stand out players were Henderson and Sakho. Sakho is a beast and his passing is bloody awesome. Henderson just keeps getting better and better. He is our engine room and made things tick for us.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 06, 2014, 07:00:52 PM »
Personally i was not looking forward to the west ham game...so to win after their crappy equaliser was excellent...refs get worse and worse...gerrard and suarez were excellent today....

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 06, 2014, 07:31:56 PM »
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

we have done it

away to west ham was always gonna be one of our toughest games - due to the physical nature of allardyce's sides

now it goes down to next Sunday.......super sunday, or suicide sunday!

if we could beat city at anfield (and swansea get a result at home to a tired CL-fecked Chelsea).

5 cup finals to go - one of the hardest ones was won today.

We have a pretty poor record against London teams going back over a few years. That's two weeks running we've known a win puts us top, which in itself brings it's own form of pressure.
We had the crowd to help us last week, but this was very different, and because of all those things I'd say it was our best win of the season.

It's still City's to lose, but just as important as our result was Everton's. They are the form team below us and know they have everything to play for still, and as long as their results hold up, they could do us a massive favour by beating City in the penultimate game of the season, giving City little time to recover. They have a great chance of 5th, seeing as the Mancs are six points behind having also played a game more, and will believe they can get 4th, as they are a point behind Arsenal with a game in hand over the Gunners.

This could be the turning point of the season with Everton placing themselves where they have and us winning again.

It's all about belief and confidence now - something we will have as our sequence of consecutive wins continues and it could dent the other two teams morale if we keep responding to their attempted pressure with a win each time.

City's games in hand are home against Sunderland on Wed 16th April and home against Villa on Wed 7th May. Both are very, very winnable, making a win, no matter how, for us next Sunday, absolutely crucial.

If we beat City, it could also work in Sunderland's favour (and additionally our's) for the game after, and with Sunderland still in with a chance of escaping the drop due to their games in hand, we could help ourselves by helping Sunderland maybe knick a point against a demoralised City team.

City and Chelsea at home and Palace away (final trip to London of the season) are definitely the harder of the games left. Norwich, which is the game after the City one, is the biggest potential banana skin with them in 17th place and still not assured of avoiding the drop.

At least we have home advantage for the last game of the season, as do City, unlike Chelsea who are at Cardiff, who may be down by then, but that could see them relax with the pressure off.

Hopefully, being at home won't bring it's own pressure and the crowd will need to put their nerves aside and just focus on driving the team on, no matter what other scores may come through during the game. That I see as our biggest obstacle, that the crowd get nervy and it transmits to the players. The crowd will need to have their game of the season and treat like the old European nights and employ the spirit of Istanbul.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 06, 2014, 08:31:11 PM »
BTW the standard of refereeing is woeful these days.

And here I was telling me mate before the game it's a good thing we got the best ref in the League for this game. Seriously disappointed with Taylor's decision to allow there goal. His only mistake in the game but what a crucial one it could've been.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:39:51 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 06, 2014, 08:35:21 PM »
Actually Martin I thought Flanagan had a good game today.

But for me our two stand out players were Henderson and Sakho. Sakho is a beast and his passing is bloody awesome. Henderson just keeps getting better and better. He is our engine room and made things tick for us.

I would agree with you Ed on Henderson and Sakho. To think this was his first start in 13 games in arguably the hardest away game we played this calender year. He's a monster indeed and his passing is incredible. Big big plus to have him back now.

As for Flanagan I think your emotions is getting the better of you if you think he was good. Look at his game in the sequence that led to their extra-time corner. Time and again he was rounded with ease. Not good enough and I hope he's properly replaced in the summer. I don't care if he was born and bread in the Anfield area.

Oh, and Sturridge need to up his game. Been really poor the last couple of games. 3rd forward next season if he doesn't improve.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 06, 2014, 08:39:17 PM »
Personally i was not looking forward to the west ham game...so to win after their crappy equaliser was excellent...refs get worse and worse...gerrard and suarez were excellent today....

My sentiments exactly. I think some of the criticism Dude blasted Gerrard's way over the last couple of seasons were fully justified. That's why watching him play his best footy during his long career at LFC over the last few months fills really makes it for me.

Suarez, what can you say. He is the best player I've seen in a red shirt since 1979 regardless of how we fare between now and the rest of the season. He was lost, now he's found his home. What a fantastic turn around. People can say whatever they want about Rodger's man-man skills re. Sterling and Henderson. His handling and transformation of Suarez says it all really. We got the best manager in Europe!!!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 08:40:55 PM by Martinmarx »

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 06, 2014, 08:42:31 PM »
We have a pretty poor record against London teams going back over a few years. That's two weeks running we've known a win puts us top, which in itself brings it's own form of pressure.
We had the crowd to help us last week, but this was very different, and because of all those things I'd say it was our best win of the season.

It's still City's to lose, but just as important as our result was Everton's. They are the form team below us and know they have everything to play for still, and as long as their results hold up, they could do us a massive favour by beating City in the penultimate game of the season, giving City little time to recover. They have a great chance of 5th, seeing as the Mancs are six points behind having also played a game more, and will believe they can get 4th, as they are a point behind Arsenal with a game in hand over the Gunners.

This could be the turning point of the season with Everton placing themselves where they have and us winning again.

It's all about belief and confidence now - something we will have as our sequence of consecutive wins continues and it could dent the other two teams morale if we keep responding to their attempted pressure with a win each time.

City's games in hand are home against Sunderland on Wed 16th April and home against Villa on Wed 7th May. Both are very, very winnable, making a win, no matter how, for us next Sunday, absolutely crucial.

If we beat City, it could also work in Sunderland's favour (and additionally our's) for the game after, and with Sunderland still in with a chance of escaping the drop due to their games in hand, we could help ourselves by helping Sunderland maybe knick a point against a demoralised City team.

City and Chelsea at home and Palace away (final trip to London of the season) are definitely the harder of the games left. Norwich, which is the game after the City one, is the biggest potential banana skin with them in 17th place and still not assured of avoiding the drop.

At least we have home advantage for the last game of the season, as do City, unlike Chelsea who are at Cardiff, who may be down by then, but that could see them relax with the pressure off.

Hopefully, being at home won't bring it's own pressure and the crowd will need to put their nerves aside and just focus on driving the team on, no matter what other scores may come through during the game. That I see as our biggest obstacle, that the crowd get nervy and it transmits to the players. The crowd will need to have their game of the season and treat like the old European nights and employ the spirit of Istanbul.

Many points there with which I agree Tes. My position is that if we beat City a draw against Chelsea will be enough provided we win the other 3 games.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 13, 2014, 10:25:57 AM »
well this is it.

hold on to your hats.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 13, 2014, 12:08:14 PM »
well this is it.

hold on to your hats.

Midfield is key. If we get Lucas in there we should be able to nullify the threat..might mean dropping sterling though until he comes on as an impact sub.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 13, 2014, 03:35:10 PM »
Midfield is key. If we get Lucas in there we should be able to nullify the threat..might mean dropping sterling though until he comes on as an impact sub.

over, we win

3-2

crying here, so happy with emotion.

we really are in the driving seat now.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 13, 2014, 04:22:10 PM »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 13, 2014, 04:22:36 PM »
Not sure my heart can take it anymore...lol...mad game...
Good stuff though and our attack is awesome...