February 26, 2020, 12:12:37 PM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 164307 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #615 on: April 13, 2014, 04:26:18 PM »
Not sure my heart can take it anymore...lol...mad game...
Good stuff though and our attack is awesome...

same here - heart cannae take it.

i stayed in bed for the first half (6 hours behind here).

I got up and it was 5 mins into the second half - we were 2 up.

but within 10 mins, city were level.

i felt like going back to bed.

long long game to watch.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 13, 2014, 04:30:18 PM »
how many games will Henderson miss?
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 13, 2014, 04:32:20 PM »

if its violent conduct it's 3 games...

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 13, 2014, 04:34:26 PM »
so he will miss 3 of the remaining 4.....norwich, palace and chelsea

he will be a big miss.

i can see us winning at norwich and the final game at home to newcastle.

but away at palace, and home to chelsea, will be ultra hard.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 13, 2014, 07:50:59 PM »

It's definitely three - back for the Newcastle game. Lucas and Allen have possible points to prove to the manager, and Lucas normally saves his best games for Chelsea.

Imagine, if we could defend they'd have presented the league trophy to us today.  ;D

It's been a good weekend - Chelsea winning mean we still have to be just as focused, absolutely no let up (that could just prove to be to our advantage).
Everton winning keeps them in with a chance of 4th, which will probably mean more to their players, than doing us a favour by beating City in the penultimate game. Not so sure about their fans.
They beat City to help us win the league and Arsenal pip them to fourth on the last game of the season. Arsenal scrapping through against Wigan may give them renewed confidence for the league, giving Everton a real challenge, a making the City game crucial for them.

Norwich had their best away result for a while, only losing 1-0 at Fulham, which again could work in our favour as it should mean no complacency against a rejuvenated relagation fighter with a decent home record.

For me, the Palace game is the one I'm looking forward to least. Selhurst Park has never been a good ground for us, whether it was Palace or Wimbledon, and Pulis will have them playing like Wimbledon, and it's vital we either match City's points score that day or take advantage of an Everton victory. That could be the weekend that decides the title.

If there's a footballing equivalent of the Victoria Cross, then Rodgers deserves it - bravery or foolhardiness, whichever it is, it's getting us over the line in each game.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 14, 2014, 08:47:44 AM »
I'm slightly disappointed with the results this weekend. Norwich somehow lost to Fulham. How they didn't win that one I will never know. So instead of facing a side on the safe side of things, we'll be the first hard test for them which is Always a bad thing. Their remaining games are us, United, Chelsea and Arsenal so there's every chance they may go down.

The importance of the Norwich game cannot be underestimated as a win will see Chelsea in a situation where they must beat us to have a chance rather than sitting out a dull 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

I dare not think beyond those two games. Up until So'ton away it was 4 game blocks, now it's blocks of 2. 6 against Norwich and Chelsea and I think we could survive a draw at Palace. But as Dude said, it'll be ultra hard.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: April 14, 2014, 05:10:53 PM »
Well as we saw in the huddle the lads are all concentrated on the Norwich game so they'll be fully prepared.

We play palace on the Monday and City good the Goodison on the Saturday before, so if they drop points in that game then yes Martin is right we could take a draw at Selhurst park.

I'm equally as worried about the Palace game as well as the Chelsea game tbh. As we've a poor record against Pulis teams at his home ground.

But our mentality is amazing at the moment so I am confident we can get the job done.

Norwich played much more aggressively offensively against Fulham than they have done this due to their new manager not wanting to look like Hughton. If they play that way against us then they are in big trouble. Play like they have done most of the season and be more defensive and try to grind out a draw/win then we should beat them with our superior offense and defense.

Also Chelsea are at Cardiff last game of the season - which is no easy game especially if Cardiff need something to stay up. I expect Chelsea to thrash Sunderland 4-0 or 5-0. Plus beat Norwich at home 4-0 or 5-0. So they will need 6 points away from Stamford Bridge at Anfield and Cardiff to have any hope to win the league. Hopefully Bellars does us a favour  ;D

I also think Man City can easily drop points at Goodison and at Palace. Plus Villa and West Ham at home know how to counter attack.

Henderson though is a really big loss for the Chelsea game as we need to match their energy and dynamism in the middle as Matic and Ramires are both excellent. So we need Allen definitely.
Overall I am enjoying the moment and heeding our captains advice in thinking our next game is our biggest game and taking each game as it comes.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 14, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »
We play palace on the Monday and City good the Goodison on the Saturday before, so if they drop points in that game then yes Martin is right we could take a draw at Selhurst park.

thanks, Edward.   That is a very good point and one I had not considered.

we will already know the Everton-City result, by the time we face Palace.

Nobody  IMHO will beat City - our only hope lies in Palace and/or Everton grabbing a draw from them (both away games for City).  City's season will turn on those back to back games in London and Merseyside. 

Two points lost at Goodison, would mean we can win three and draw one....to win the title.

There is so little margin for error.  One loss (or a couple of draws) and it could be curtains. 

My hope is that Palace and Everton will hole City's title bid below the waterline. 

And that we will ruin Chelsea's bid, with either a draw or victory, when they come to Anfield.

Chelsea are not playing well, and having trouble scoring goals.  Life will be very interesting if a tired and jaded Chelsea come to Anfield needing to win.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: April 14, 2014, 08:24:26 PM »
The importance of the Norwich game cannot be underestimated as a win will see Chelsea in a situation where they must beat us to have a chance rather than sitting out a dull 0-0 or 1-1 draw.

I dare not think beyond those two games. Up until So'ton away it was 4 game blocks, now it's blocks of 2. 6 against Norwich and Chelsea and I think we could survive a draw at Palace. But as Dude said, it'll be ultra hard.

me too, Martin, I am thinking in chunks of two games, as well.

like you, I think Chelsea will come to Anfield, feeling they need to beat us (if only to stay the pace with City)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 14, 2014, 08:29:26 PM »
Norwich had their best away result for a while, only losing 1-0 at Fulham, which again could work in our favour as it should mean no complacency against a rejuvenated relagation fighter with a decent home record.

For me, the Palace game is the one I'm looking forward to least. Selhurst Park has never been a good ground for us, whether it was Palace or Wimbledon, and Pulis will have them playing like Wimbledon, and it's vital we either match City's points score that day or take advantage of an Everton victory.

I think Norwich should be there for the taking.  They are in dire straights. and have to come at us, and play football.  And they are a club well known for playing football the proper way (and not like Allardyce sides).

If we get an early goal, even one in the first half, then I think we could score 4 or 5.

Palace, as we all agree, is the real banana skin.

They are in a great run of form since the new year, and Pulis taking over.

I do worry that something new will pop up in these final stressful games - for example, a Gerrard booking, or a Suarez sending off.  Nerves are getting freyed, and I hope all our guys can keep their heads.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 14, 2014, 09:21:01 PM »
Plus Villa and West Ham at home know how to counter attack.

Villa are dire. They are lucky they manage to scrape the points they did earlier in the season. 4 defeats on the trot and no Benteke.

Villa are the last team I hold any hope out for to 'help us'.

Martin makes a good point about Chelsea hoping to hold out for a draw at Anfield. Mourinho is exactly the type to try and negate our game with them and look to beat us over the other three games - they play three of the bottom four, two of them at home, and Cardiff could already be down by the last game of the season (which is the one away from home), and an ex-Manc is really going to want to do us a favour if there's 'nothing else' to 'play' for.

Norwich next and three points at stake. That's it. Forget titles. We can't win it by winning at Norwich but we could lose it (the title) by not. As usual, whoever the opposition, there's three points at stake, and that's all we need to focus on.

As Hansen says, you think about titles when the medal's in your hand.

Having said all that - damn, am I enjoying watching Sterling play at the moment. He's added an end product and his decision making is unrecognisable from last season. He's everything Tony Daley, and to a lesser extent, Laurie Cunningham, used to threaten to be.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 14, 2014, 10:10:07 PM »
Martin makes a good point about Chelsea hoping to hold out for a draw at Anfield. Mourinho is exactly the type to try and negate our game with them and look to beat us over the other three games

I think Chelsea will come to Anfield knowing they have to win (and they also know they are depending on City slipping up).   Chelsea will come looking for a scrappy one goal victory.  But with our expansive play, I do not easily imagine how Chelsea will keep it tight.  But if we have to win it 7-6, then so-be-it.   But Chelsea are having major issues scoring goals.   

Henderson is a bad miss for that Chelsea game.  But even without the lad, I still think we can end their dreams that weekend.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 14, 2014, 10:37:30 PM »
I think Chelsea will come to Anfield knowing they have to win (and they also know they are depending on City slipping up).   Chelsea will come looking for a scrappy one goal victory.  But with our expansive play, I do not easily imagine how Chelsea will keep it tight.  But if we have to win it 7-6, then so-be-it.   But Chelsea are having major issues scoring goals.   

Henderson is a bad miss for that Chelsea game.  But even without the lad, I still think we can end their dreams that weekend.

I see what you mean Dude, but what impressed me was the way Chelsea picked off the Arsenal attack recently. Granted, we're a more confident beast than Arsenal and more capable of running Terry and Cahill wragged than Arsenal's beige attack. Demba Ba has always scored in bursts, and he's looking like he's started one just at  the right time for them (2 in his last 2 games).

The games either side of the Chelsea game read much better for them (Sunderland and Norwich, both at home), than Norwich and Pulace away, read for us. Hopefully a good win in the CL Semi 1st leg, which is their last game before Anfield, will have Mourinho dreaming of bigger things for this season (becoming the first manager to win the CL with three different clubs and equally Sir Bob's haul of three).

No need to worry about a Gerrard yellow as we're past the cut off point, though Suarez needs to quit making the most of contact as it could just cost us a genuine penalty.

Now it's a case of just getting the three points, who cares how, just that we do.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 16, 2014, 08:42:49 PM »
I see what you mean Dude, but what impressed me was the way Chelsea picked off the Arsenal attack recently. Granted, we're a more confident beast than Arsenal and more capable of running Terry and Cahill wragged than Arsenal's beige attack. Demba Ba has always scored in bursts, and he's looking like he's started one just at  the right time for them (2 in his last 2 games).

The games either side of the Chelsea game read much better for them (Sunderland and Norwich, both at home), than Norwich and Pulace away, read for us. Hopefully a good win in the CL Semi 1st leg, which is their last game before Anfield, will have Mourinho dreaming of bigger things for this season (becoming the first manager to win the CL with three different clubs and equally Sir Bob's haul of three).

No need to worry about a Gerrard yellow as we're past the cut off point, though Suarez needs to quit making the most of contact as it could just cost us a genuine penalty.

Now it's a case of just getting the three points, who cares how, just that we do.

thanks for clearing that up re Gerrard and another card.

yes, I hope Chelsea keep focussed on the CL semi final legs.

though Tes, if Chelsea should win at Anfield, then I think the title is theirs.........they are a dark horse on a dark race course, and could easily steam in on everybodys blindside.

Having said that, I think we will draw or beat them at Anfield.....if we beat them, their title race is over.

the two tough games for City fall together - away to Palace, and then away to Everton.   They could easily draw one, or even both.

three wins and a draw might well be enough for us.

if goal difference was not a factor - three wins and a loss at Palace, might have been enough.

if only we could hammer Norwich and/or Newcastle......that would negate the small goal difference issue with City.

first Norwich - three points essential.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 16, 2014, 08:45:07 PM »
lovely to see and hear Borussia Dortmund's fans wave their YNWA scarves and sing our anthem, in remembrance for the 96.   

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/hillsborough-disaster-borussia-dortmund-fans-3419234