March 29, 2020, 05:07:29 PM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 176625 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #645 on: April 20, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »
norwich 2 - liverpool 3

one more cup final won

we're almost there..........beat chelsea next Sunday, and we will have one hand on the premiership trophy.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 20, 2014, 04:20:35 PM »
goal difference, Man City +54 ...........  Liverpool +53

We're making hard work of overcoming that advantage City have, but if we get past our next three opponents, no matter how or by what score, we're there. I think a scrappy, nervous win can sometimes boost confidence more as we get to learn we can still beat teams, even if we're not at our best.

Signing someone like Cardiff's David Marshall could be a good move to put Mignolet under real pressure for his place and if he loses it, there are a lot of keepers I'd rather not see before Marshall, who has been one of the best keepers in the league this season.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 20, 2014, 05:12:24 PM »
Great game for the neutral. Not sure my heart can take it much more though!
Well on top for 15 mins and took a deserved lead. Then we seem to take the foot off the peddle and slacked off. They might have been thinking about the Chelsea game and taking it easy and so let Norwich back in.
Considering Chelsea now have a game in Madrid on tues night, then we'll be well prepared for sunday!
Hopefully Sturridge will be back as well...
A good 3 points. Job done.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 20, 2014, 05:36:03 PM »
agreed, Tes.  Marshall may be a smart recruit this summer.  Though there will be a few clubs interested, especially if cardiff go down.

like you say, Barticus, we made hard work of it, after taking a 2 goal lead.

but I guess, no matter what, this was always likely to be a scrappy game.....with a team fighting for their lives.

another cup final negotiated......next Sunday, we get the chance to eliminate a tired and jaded Chelsea.  I hope Athleico give them the runaround in midweek.

Mourinho is in for one tough week - he could melt down spectacularly.

Indeed, I suspect the FA will throw the book at him, and chelsea after this weekend's events (plus a 4 matvch ban for their midfielder, Ramires)
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 20, 2014, 05:42:01 PM »

I love the fan, sitting beside the United dugout today.     ;D ;D ;D

With Everton 2 up, they are on Arsenal's tails for that 4th CL spot (only one point behind the gunners).

It will mean that City are in for a game when they head to Goodison.

I still hold out for this perfect scenario, where Everton beat City, to effectively hand us the title.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 20, 2014, 06:19:10 PM »

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 20, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »

Manager of the Year - Brendan Rodgers

Player of the Year - Luis Suarez

Young Player of the Year - Raheem Sterling

Sterling has came on fantastically well this season - especially in these last few months.  He seems stronger, and more confident in his finishing.

I think having Suarez around as a teacher, is invaluable to the lad.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 21, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »
I was very glad to see agger come on on 80 minutes, he certainly steadied the ship as sakho had pretty much lost it. Sakho has been a good signing but still has much to learn, i want agger and skrtel there though against Chelsea, experience heads amongst the mourinho shenanigans.
Agreed over competition for the goalkeeper post. Marshall perhaps or even Reina back? I know he's supposed to have burnt his bridges but so had Skrtel last year and now look at him.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 21, 2014, 04:15:57 PM »
I was very glad to see agger come on on 80 minutes, he certainly steadied the ship as sakho had pretty much lost it. Sakho has been a good signing but still has much to learn, i want agger and skrtel there though against Chelsea, experience heads amongst the mourinho shenanigans.

absolutely.

i felt the exact same yesterday.

sakho can be great - but when in the heat of this title battle, we need experienced heads.....and the skrtel and agger partnership is vital......not only against chelsea, but against palace too.

i think we need to beat chelsea, because we will get precious little at palace.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 22, 2014, 05:34:12 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sviu9l3bew

Louis Van Gaal.

rude barsteward.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 22, 2014, 09:13:30 PM »
I still hold out for this perfect scenario, where Everton beat City, to effectively hand us the title, qualify for the CL, only to be humiliated in the qualifying round by some Finish part-timers or the like.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 22, 2014, 09:15:48 PM »
Cech may be out of Sundays game. Schwarzer always has a blinder against us. Let's hope for that run to end.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 22, 2014, 10:04:40 PM »
John Terry may be out injured too.

and they played 96 mins......so nice and tired, after their flight home from Spain.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 22, 2014, 11:12:53 PM »
We have a suitable back up to Mignolet his name is Brad Jones. A younger gk like Marshall would be wanting first team football and any experienced gk we'd buy would be on more money than Jones so why do that?

I don't see the gk as a major issue really. Sure Mignolet has made mistakes but the are mistakes that can be fixed. If those mistakes are ones which couldn't be fixed then I'd be more inclined to seek a replacement but not now. His strengths outweigh his weaknesses.

We all know Chelsea will park the bus against us so its up to us to not play like Atletico tonight and cross the ball put to do what we do!

Mourinho only hates Barca more than us so don't expect a free ride or a weakened team.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 22, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »
Schwarzer played well from all accounts, but if Terry's missing too and we can get an early goal and pin them back most of the first half, then we should get the result. Terry's more of an inspirational figurehead, so anything that prevents them rallying can't be bad.

Mourinho didn't get the decisive result he wanted and with Lampard and Obi Mikel out of the second leg, he may be tempted to play them to protect his other midfielders for next Wednesday.

Expect Mourinho to park the bus and settle for a repeat of tonight. That at least would ease the pressure on the defence, and with Sterling in the form he's in it could backfire on Mourinho.