September 27, 2020, 09:27:14 PM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 205270 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #660 on: April 22, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »
yes, he will have to park the bus and hope for a scrappy goal later.

I also think he may want a dirty game, a few heavy tackles, a lot of tempers up.   He will want us to lose our composure.....and also get a man sent off.

expect them to be trying to get us booked, get Suarez red carded etc.

all of mourinho's dark arts will be on display.

but as you say, if we get a goal, he has to come out to play.

with suarez, sturride (back i imagine) and sterling, I think we will open them up.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 23, 2014, 11:08:24 AM »
I don't believe all the media hysteria about Mourinho picking a so-called weakened team. Injuries have arguably weakened the team, and he may play Lampard and Obi Mikel, as they are out on Wednesday, but that's hardly a weakened team.

Mourinho is too cute to place all his eggs in one basket, especially as an away goal for Atletico leaves them needing two goals, and they're hardly 'banging them in' at the moment. Neither do you just throw away all the hard work of the previous 35 games. He knows a win puts them right back in it, and it's only one game, but one game that allows them to remain in with a chance of doubling the amount of trophies on offer.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 23, 2014, 11:24:11 PM »
I really can't see Mourinho giving up on the league. They've got two games to win still to win the CL, whereas they're only one more victory than that away from the PL title also.

If they win at Anfield, they're just 2 points behind us. We have to play Palace away, who could have beaten or drawn with City this weekend, whilst Chelsea have a home game against Norwich, who despite their recent improvement in performances, still aren't picking up the points and have a dreadful away record.

A Chelsea win and a City draw this weekend has the table looking like this:

Liverpool 80
Chelsea  78
Man City 75

Next weekend, we're away at Palace, Chelsea at home to Norwich, City away at Everton - a defeat for us, a win for Chelsea and a draw for City, none of which exactly require a huge stretch of the imagination and the table looks like this:

Chelsea    81
Liverpool  80
Man City   76

City should win at home to Villa on Wednesday 7th May, so we'd reach the last day of the season with Chelsea a point clear of us and two ahead of City.

They have Cardiff away, we have Newcastle at home and City have West Ham at home - is it so hard to see a win for all three of us?

Mourinho has many less savioury character traits, but I've never seen cowardice or defeatism as being amongst them. Also it would be disrespectful to the fans who have followed and supported them for the previous 35 games. They're not in a long run of successive wins which could come to an end, and a mini run of five successive wins (less than half the run we've put together) sees them win both competitions.
They've won at City this season in February and drawn at the Mancs and Arsenal, both with clean sheets and also Spurs, 1-1. Their only defeat to a top seven team is 1-0 away at Everton, and at home to those same teams, they've a 100% record, so one defeat, three draws and seven wins against the top seven - with a record like that, I find it hard to see Mourinho waving the white flag.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 23, 2014, 11:53:02 PM »
Daniel Sturridge declares himself fit for Liverpool's title showdown against Chelsea on Sunday

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-vs-chelsea-daniel-sturridge-3448439

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 24, 2014, 12:06:15 AM »
Mourinho has many less savioury character traits, but I've never seen cowardice or defeatism as being amongst them. Also it would be disrespectful to the fans who have followed and supported them for the previous 35 games. They're not in a long run of successive wins which could come to an end, and a mini run of five successive wins (less than half the run we've put together) sees them win both competitions.
They've won at City this season in February and drawn at the Mancs and Arsenal, both with clean sheets and also Spurs, 1-1. Their only defeat to a top seven team is 1-0 away at Everton, and at home to those same teams, they've a 100% record, so one defeat, three draws and seven wins against the top seven - with a record like that, I find it hard to see Mourinho waving the white flag.

chelsea need to win at anfield; nothing less will do

and they need to rely on either palace beating us; or palace and newcaste getting draws with us.

plus they have to rely on city slipping up too (which is very likely).

we will put chelsea to bed this weekend.

we need a maximum of 2 wins and 1 draw in these final three games, to take the title.

but City will likely drop points at palace and/or everton.....so most likely beating chelsea and newcastle will suffice for us.

apart from chelsea beating us on Sunday, my nightmare is City winning all their final games.....because if City were to do that, they would probably win the league.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: April 24, 2014, 12:07:59 AM »
Daniel Sturridge declares himself fit for Liverpool's title showdown against Chelsea on Sunday

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-vs-chelsea-daniel-sturridge-3448439

great news.

just wish henderson was available.

we beat chelsea, we have one hand on the trophy.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 24, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »
chelsea need to win at anfield; nothing less will do

and they need to rely on either palace beating us; or palace and newcaste getting draws with us.

plus they have to rely on city slipping up too (which is very likely).

we will put chelsea to bed this weekend.

we need a maximum of 2 wins and 1 draw in these final three games, to take the title.

but City will likely drop points at palace and/or everton.....so most likely beating chelsea and newcastle will suffice for us.

apart from chelsea beating us on Sunday, my nightmare is City winning all their final games.....because if City were to do that, they would probably win the league.

If we can get a win, and I don't care how, against Chelsea, then I'd settle for a draw against Palace and then look to put Newcastle to the sword. Beating Chelsea, thereby removing them from the equation and securing second place at worst, would give us a boost for the last two games.

City will then have seen us beat both them and Chelsea and will know that nothing less than a win at Palace will then do, as they play after our result will be known. It just places a bit more pressure on them. They'll know that at that point they two games in hand, but will also know that they're no good unless both are won. We already have the points in the bag.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 25, 2014, 12:02:23 AM »
If we can get a win, and I don't care how, against Chelsea, then I'd settle for a draw against Palace and then look to put Newcastle to the sword. Beating Chelsea, thereby removing them from the equation and securing second place at worst, would give us a boost for the last two games.

City will then have seen us beat both them and Chelsea and will know that nothing less than a win at Palace will then do, as they play after our result will be known. It just places a bit more pressure on them. They'll know that at that point they two games in hand, but will also know that they're no good unless both are won. We already have the points in the bag.

I am hoping for one more super weekend.

with us beating Chelsea, and then later on Sunday afternoon, Palace inflicting a mortal wound on City's title bid.

City are on the ropes......and I think Palace can knock them out.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 26, 2014, 08:45:24 PM »
Nobody's mentioned Atkinson. The cad of cads who hates everything Liverpool. Dead worried he got this game as I'm sure he'll have a negative imact on it.

I just hope we win. 2 more weeks. I can't take it any longer.

Come on you redmen!!!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 27, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »
hope we can keep 11 men on the pitch.

and hope we can win.

losing would be the nightmare.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 27, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »
a dangerous game is developing.

these final ten minutes of the first half, we need to put our foot on the ball and show some composure.

we are hurrying it in parts of the pitch, where we don;t need to hurry it.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 27, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »
we are pressing this match a little too much.

one would think that we had to win the game, instead of chelsea.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 27, 2014, 02:55:35 PM »
fuk it

fuk it

like I was predicting above, we were putting ourselves under needless pressure....doing stupid things in needless parts of the pitch.

dire dire mistake from gerrard.

we are handing this fecking game to chelsea......and because of inexperience.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 27, 2014, 03:27:19 PM »
it's going exactly as mourinho would have wanted it.

and instead of chelsea having to chase the game (as they should always have been made to do), now we are fecking have to chase this game.

madness.

absolute madness.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 27, 2014, 04:02:49 PM »
a nightmare day.

men against boys.

why in under feck were we chasing this game from the first minute.

is there nobody in our dugout with intelligence who can read a table, and understand that it was chelsea who had to chase the game.

we gave this game away......gave it away.

and once chelsea's old timers had their goal, we were never going to get back into it.

all we can now hope for is for palace to do us a favour against city.

I am gutted today - madness, absolute madness.