September 22, 2020, 11:55:02 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 204621 times)

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #675 on: April 27, 2014, 06:41:36 PM »
a nightmare day.

men against boys.

why in under feck were we chasing this game from the first minute.

is there nobody in our dugout with intelligence who can read a table, and understand that it was chelsea who had to chase the game.

we gave this game away......gave it away.

and once chelsea's old timers had their goal, we were never going to get back into it.

all we can now hope for is for palace to do us a favour against city.

I am gutted today - madness, absolute madness.

sums it up...wtf was gerrard doing as the last man in defence?? Agger should have played.
And Rodgers should have told Gerrard to stop looking for the redemption crapola...cos he kept doing it.

A draw would have done us...and yet we kept looking for the win...naive.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 27, 2014, 07:01:47 PM »
a nightmare day.

men against boys.

why in under feck were we chasing this game from the first minute.

is there nobody in our dugout with intelligence who can read a table, and understand that it was chelsea who had to chase the game.

we gave this game away......gave it away.

and once chelsea's old timers had their goal, we were never going to get back into it.

all we can now hope for is for palace to do us a favour against city.

I am gutted today - madness, absolute madness.

I'm gutted too but reckon your account is way way too harsh and unfair. They rode their luck for their opener and we're not the first team unable to break down that bus. I'm in tears as we lost the title today. It's so unfair and undeserving but that's how it is. I wish Chelsea, Mourinho and his players the worst. I hate them. I hate their arrogance, their dishonesty. I hope they lose and I hope Abramovich gives up on their club.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 27, 2014, 07:24:14 PM »
wtf was gerrard doing as the last man in defence??

Agger should have played.

And Rodgers should have told Gerrard to stop looking for the redemption crapola...cos he kept doing it.

yes, I was very surprised to not see Agger at the start.

like you, Bart, I was spitting blood when I saw Gerard as our last man.   I have said for ten years plus, that Gerrard is not a sweeper nor a defender.  Throughout his career, he has been an accident waiting to happen, when playing near the back.

Well this time, his howler may have cost us the title.

And for the second half, as you say, he was trying his endless redemption stuff......taking shots from 25 and 30 yards, and throwing away much needed good possession in the Chelsea third.

I wondered at the time, if he would have been better hauling the Chelsea lad down, and taking his red card.

I think we possibly would have had a better chance of getting something from the game, if we had had to play the second half without him (and it still been nil-nil).

Today was a day for cool heads and composure.  It was a day for knocking the ball around, keeping possession, wasting time here and there, and getting inside Chelseas' heads.

Today was a day for senior players to show composure.  The title was never going to be won today, but it could be lost.   Big game intelligence and composure was the order of the day.

Instead, our kids served it on a plate to them.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 27, 2014, 07:31:19 PM »
I'm gutted too but reckon your account is way way too harsh and unfair. They rode their luck for their opener and we're not the first team unable to break down that bus.

but why did we have to get past the bus?

THEY needed to beat us.  A draw was a result that would have ended their title pursuit.

We could have sat tight and let them waste their own time.  Instead we played dangerous passes in bad areas of the pitch.   i saw the goal coming......see above, when i was posting during the game.    We were an accident waiting to happen.

I thought our naivety was on display today - and/or very limited tactics.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 28, 2014, 06:48:12 AM »
Does it matter really? It's over. We lost 1 game in the last 16 and it just feels so unfair that's gonna cost us the title. Unbelieveable really City's gonna win it on GD once more. Luck and money seems to go hand in hand really. Totally shattered!
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 28, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »
Unbelieveable really City's gonna win it on GD once more.

Is it really?

Reply #2317 on: April 07, 2013, 06:19:55 PM

It would be interesting to look at all the games we conceded two or more in a see if we'd conceded one less, how many differences to the result that would be.

Straight off the top of my head, with the actual points in brackets - 3 points away to Everton (1 point), 3 points away to Arsenal (1), 3 points away to Man City (1), 1 point away to the Mancs (0), 1 point at Home to the Mancs (0), 3 points at home to Man City (1),  1 point Spurs away (0).

So that's 11 points simply by conceding 1 less goal when we conceded 2 or more.

It shows where the major problem is and has been all season and that's the biggest disappointment that we've not even seen a very gradual improvement after the first 10 games (a bit of bedding in allowance, which is still more than a quarter of the season).

I wrote that more than a year ago.

Think how different the table looks, bearing in mind what I say about conceding 2 or more goals being crucial.

Everton away 2-0 up, Chelsea away 1-0 up, City away 1-0 up.

Not conceding 2 or more goals, in other words, only conceding once, and not a clean sheet needed, gives us 4 more points, City and Chelsea 2 less apiece. Note the games I've selected in both posts.
I'm not talking about the cannon fodder, where we can outscore them by 2 or 3, or where a clean sheet could reasonably be expected, I'm talking about defending when it really matters.

Our goal difference sucks because we've conceded too many goals despite the wins.

Whenever I raise the subject of our defence, I'm being negative or unfair. I don't expect it will be any different this time.

City have had their wobble, come through and have sufficient games left.
Chelsea have hit form every time it really matters this season.
Palace won't be as bad as they were against City.
Everton have probably just run out of steam.

Final table:

City 86
Chelsea 84
Us 83

The only hope is that now the winning run is at an end, and the gap has been reduced, there's no room for even a hint of complacency, which can happen, and we come back strong and take 6 points from the next two games, and Everton grind out a draw against City.
I hold out no hope of Villa (who are dire, yet still scored the magical two goals against us at Anfield) or West Ham, who are already on the beach as the 1-0 defeat at WBA showed, doing us any favours.

Third would be a truly amazing achievement and to be so close to the winners (should it not be us), and to have challenged for the title, and all the way to the end of the season, is far beyond what even the most optimistic amongst us could have hoped for.

We may not have had European football, but neither do we have a deep squad. We've probably got 15 players who you would really say were good enough to challenge, and then look at the chasm in experience between the squads and the managers.

We had a bad day, let's finish strongly and see where that gets us.

Now maybe the media will be a bit more realistic in their pronouncements.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 28, 2014, 02:13:33 PM »
I've just read a rather interesting stat - of our last 50 goals, Suarez has only scored 8 of them. That augurs well for next season. So much for a one (or even two) man team.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 28, 2014, 04:05:53 PM »
City are now the favourites, despite us still being top by two points - maybe that takes the pressure off somewhat.

Pulis is talking up the game - shame he didn't do the same for the City one.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: April 28, 2014, 04:07:18 PM »
Sort of sums up yesterday's game:

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 28, 2014, 10:51:55 PM »
Arsenal beat Newcastle 3-0 tonight - hopefully our next banana skin won't be Pardew being sacked before the end of the season.

Everton are now 4 points behind Arsenal and they both have two games to play - however they need to look over their shoulder to protect their potential 5th place as Spurs are only three points behind with two to play, and even the Mancs could pip them, although nine points behind, they have three games to play and their goal difference is only one less than Everton's.

Spurs are at West Ham on Saturday, then finish at home to the hapless Villa - potentially four points.
Everton need a point at the very least with having a hugely better goal difference than Spurs and they finish the season away at Hull, who's players will all be playing for an FA Cup final place.

Hopefully they'll fancy their chances of getting a point at home in front of their own crowd than away at Hull.

In our favour is the fact that Spurs play at 12.45pm, and Everton at 5.30pm, so hopefully a Spurs win earlier in the day will inspire The Toffees.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: April 29, 2014, 09:46:34 AM »
Arsenal beat Newcastle 3-0 tonight - hopefully our next banana skin won't be Pardew being sacked before the end of the season.

Everton are now 4 points behind Arsenal and they both have two games to play - however they need to look over their shoulder to protect their potential 5th place as Spurs are only three points behind with two to play, and even the Mancs could pip them, although nine points behind, they have three games to play and their goal difference is only one less than Everton's.

Spurs are at West Ham on Saturday, then finish at home to the hapless Villa - potentially four points.
Everton need a point at the very least with having a hugely better goal difference than Spurs and they finish the season away at Hull, who's players will all be playing for an FA Cup final place.

Hopefully they'll fancy their chances of getting a point at home in front of their own crowd than away at Hull.

In our favour is the fact that Spurs play at 12.45pm, and Everton at 5.30pm, so hopefully a Spurs win earlier in the day will inspire The Toffees.

Yeah, we're really clutching for straws here, aren't we? Another straw is City's record over the last 4-5 years at Goodison. I just fear there's too little left of the season. God, this one hurt more than anything I've experienced in footy. Even worse than missing out on the '86 WC to Portugal.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 29, 2014, 12:03:57 PM »
Yeah, we're really clutching for straws here, aren't we? Another straw is City's record over the last 4-5 years at Goodison. I just fear there's too little left of the season. God, this one hurt more than anything I've experienced in footy. Even worse than missing out on the '86 WC to Portugal.

Ye of little faith Martin. We have the points on the board and City have to win at Everton.

This all comes down to our naivety in the Chelsea game, it was hardly a surprise in how Chelsea was going to play as they have done so against Citeh and Arsnal, it was more of a surprise on how we didnt take this into consideration and played a waiting game. It's all very well throwing your best troops at the holders of Rourke's drift but ultimately it is doomed to fail, better to surround them, and let them starve in a siege. Which of course, we didnt.
And that is the only reason for our current predicament.
There will be more twists and turns...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 29, 2014, 03:42:22 PM »
This all comes down to our naivety in the Chelsea game.............

I think that sums it up. Before the game we were on 80 points with 9 to play for. Chelsea were on 75 with 9 to play for. City were on 74 with 12 to play for.

A draw sees us through with a win against Palace and Newcastle. Even if City win all four games they couldn't overtake us.

A point was more use to us than Chelsea and it meant we still had everything in our own hands.

On the one hand I admire the fact that the manager went out to win, but sometimes it's more about pragmatism than 'the right thing'. He's going to need to learn this for next season and the CL.
I'm sure he will. He's been prepared to more flexible this season than he was last season. When he studies the past season once it's finished, I'm sure he'll revise his thinking in certain situations.
He's a student of the game and I'm sure he'll look at the likes of Shankly, Paisley, Taggart and even Carra's comments on Monday night football.

Mourinho played it the same way as he did against Arsenal, and they picked us off in the same way as they did against Arsenal. Hopefully, long term, this will be a great point to learn from for everyone at the club.

But hey, we're getting p!ssed about not winning the league. We are still the same squad as we were when we kicked off the season, and we weren't fancied for good reason. Let's not get too down at not being able to over-achieve even more massively than we have in order to pull off the impossible.

This is probably the first real challenge we've put in (right to the bitter end) since we last won the league. We are still 2 points clear with 2 games to play. City have no room for error if we do our job, and maybe the disappointed will just give us that extra determination we need to cross the line, and if we lose it on goal difference, then just stop and think about that. Goal difference after 38 games, with a vastly inferior squad, a vastly less experienced squad and a vastly less experienced manager who hasn't had the chance to make the mistakes to learn the things that can prove the vital difference makers.

We believe until the final result is known.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 29, 2014, 06:04:40 PM »
but why did we have to get past the bus?

THEY needed to beat us.  A draw was a result that would have ended their title pursuit.

We could have sat tight and let them waste their own time.  Instead we played dangerous passes in bad areas of the pitch.   i saw the goal coming......see above, when i was posting during the game.    We were an accident waiting to happen.

I thought our naivety was on display today - and/or very limited tactics.

I wanted to post this. This is from a member of rawk, who is a coach.

There's nothing worse than a manager trying to coach a tactic that is the polar opposite of what they are used to. That's why long ball coaches who then switch to trying to play possession tend to lose more games, or vice versa - because they are not conversant with the triggers that go with that type of game, so players get confused. Tactically, you are correct, that we could have dropped off, settled for the draw from the start, and took any goal that came our way as a gift. But that's not a game the Rodgers is very well-versed in, despite the efforts earlier in the season. Chelsea do that game better. We would have played into their hands, probably. Our failure to score today was more complex than merely going for the jugular for 90 minutes. It was down to individual issues, rather than anything systematic.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 29, 2014, 07:06:15 PM »
What you quite often don't get is when a team like ours is faced with an opposition who's sole intention is to stop the game in it's tracks like Chelsea, like the lower teams in the division do, is an upping of the 'work rate' of the 'attacking' team to match the work rate of the 'defending' team.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we should have played two banks of four or even a back four and midfield five and simply knocked the ball about amongst ourselves, but when a team comes to defend so obviously, it is more important that you don't over commit in anyway and allow them a chance, because if you do and they take it, they will lock the game down even tighter, as they are already set up to sit there.

The successful teams through the ages didn't just have good defenders, or a capability of defending well when the opposition had the ball and attacked them, they themselves attacked from a solid defensive setup, so that attack was converted to defence quickly and solidly - that was what made their 'defence' so successful.

We have to learn to be patient. If we're not 2 up in the first 15 minutes, so what. One of the things Taggart's teams always had in common with our's was the ability to score late goals as well as early ones. In other words they remained calm and patient and worked the opposition for the entire game, keeping their increased rate of movement up throughout the entire game and taking advantage when the opposition inevitably tired.