October 27, 2020, 05:31:20 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 209917 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #720 on: May 03, 2014, 07:32:40 PM »
totally agree, Martin.

this was our best chance ever.

we won;t be this close again for a long time. 
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: May 03, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »
So cash is king after all. Gutted to see the gypsy score two extremly easy goals. I hope we lay down and die just like they did the next time they need a helping hand. Absolutely gutted to see us lose the title this way. CL qualification is good an'all but this was the chance we had to win the title. It ain't gonna happen any time soon.

It's pointless blaming Everton. We're responsible for our own destiny. Maybe if we'd held onto our 2-0 lead at Goodison in November, we wouldn't be hoping for favours off others.

Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 03, 2014, 08:35:22 PM »
totally agree, Martin.

this was our best chance ever.

we won;t be this close again for a long time.

As long as we learn the lessons we should progress again next season. Probably not a title challenge but a top 3 finish with CL football would see us building a base for a sustainable bright future.

Let's not forget how long and how much City had to spend before getting their first title. We can't take the short route via spending so we have to do it the hard way, creating a squad better than the sum of it's parts.
I'd much rather we did it that way than just by throwing money at it.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 03, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »
It's pointless blaming Everton. We're responsible for our own destiny. Maybe if we'd held onto our 2-0 lead at Goodison in November, we wouldn't be hoping for favours off others.

Yeah, and we would've been helped if the ref would've sent off Mirallas, or if he'd awarded us a goal and a peno at the Etihad, or a peno at the bridge. A lot of people are harping on about things have gone our way this season but forget no other team has got so many tough and decisive calls against.

I stand by what I said tes, their professionalism and integrity on City's 2nd and 3rd was non-existant and you'd be forgiven for thinking Howard had placed a huge bet on a city win on their opener.

I've seen City take on Hull with 10 men for 80 minutes, CP and Everton away and it's stunning really how bloodless all those teams were.  Almost like they didn't care (which they prolly didn't).

In all likelihood they'll spend 200 million this summer to see their first title won on points rather than GD next season. Footy's a great sport indeed. Fuckin gutted.

YES I AM BITTER AS fork!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:39:41 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 03, 2014, 08:52:37 PM »
As long as we learn the lessons we should progress again next season. Probably not a title challenge but a top 3 finish with CL football would see us building a base for a sustainable bright future.

Let's not forget how long and how much City had to spend before getting their first title. We can't take the short route via spending so we have to do it the hard way, creating a squad better than the sum of it's parts.
I'd much rather we did it that way than just by throwing money at it.

They'll just outbuy us. This season is proof if any. City haven't played as a team all season but depended on individual brilliance throughout. They have the best individuals, we have the best team. Whoever said footy's a team sport got it all wrong.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 08:54:06 PM by Martinmarx »
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 03, 2014, 09:32:58 PM »
So cash is king after all. Gutted to see the gypsy score two extremly easy goals. I hope we lay down and die just like they did the next time they need a helping hand. Absolutely gutted to see us lose the title this way. CL qualification is good an'all but this was the chance we had to win the title. It ain't gonna happen any time soon.

The gypsy?
I thought Everton did their best against a superior team who rode their luck...
We didnt lose the title due to this game, we lost it cos we were bloody naive in the Chelsea game...
Ain't gonna happens any time soon?
If we keep what we have, strengthen the squad by 4 QUALITY players and rodgers learn the lesson of you can't pass in behind them, if they've parked the bus....then there is every chance that we can have another go....the 2 games at chelsea and citeh are also key factors...if brendan concentrates on building a fergie factor to his repertoire then in the coming years then there's every chance the title will appear again...
p.s Oh and it isn't over....

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 03, 2014, 09:35:18 PM »
Yeah, and we would've been helped if the ref would've sent off Mirallas, or if he'd awarded us a goal and a peno at the Etihad, or a peno at the bridge. A lot of people are harping on about things have gone our way this season but forget no other team has got so many tough and decisive calls against.

I stand by what I said tes, their professionalism and integrity on City's 2nd and 3rd was non-existant and you'd be forgiven for thinking Howard had placed a huge bet on a city win on their opener.

I've seen City take on Hull with 10 men for 80 minutes, CP and Everton away and it's stunning really how bloodless all those teams were.  Almost like they didn't care (which they prolly didn't).

In all likelihood they'll spend 200 million this summer to see their first title won on points rather than GD next season. Footy's a great sport indeed. Fuckin gutted.

YES I AM BITTER AS fork!!!!!

But we can't control the actions of others, only ourselves. We have to achieve it ourselves then we don't need to rely on others. They may spend £200M more than us, but the fact remains is that we've achieved more with what we've got than they have with what they've got.

We're more p!ssed off being second only one goal difference this season than we were this time last season.

Let's just place this in some perspective. Saturday May 4th 2013 after 36 games - we were 7th,  30 points behind the team in 1st.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 03, 2014, 09:45:38 PM »
Cardiff 3 - 2 Man City
Aston Villa 3 - 2 Man City
Sunderland 1 - 0 Man City
Southampton 1 - 1 Man City
Norwich 0 - 0 Man City
Man City 2 - 2 Sunderland

As Bart says, it isn't over yet, and City trip up against teams you'd least expect them to. I realise the last two games are at home, but the easier the game appears, the bigger the banana skin it could be.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 03, 2014, 09:50:34 PM »
And we've won our last 6 consecutive away games, scoring 20 goals into the bargain. Remain positive for another 180(ish) minutes.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 03, 2014, 10:38:06 PM »
Good article here, and for once I agree with 'Brendan', and don't think he is 'blowing his own trumpet' (ooohhh, err, Mrs). Last season I  would have done, this season he's earned my respect (mostly).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10806235/Brendan-Rodgers-I-will-be-a-better-manager-next-season-even-if-Liverpool-are-denied-title.html

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 04, 2014, 08:45:55 AM »
Good article here, and for once I agree with 'Brendan', and don't think he is 'blowing his own trumpet' (ooohhh, err, Mrs). Last season I  would have done, this season he's earned my respect (mostly).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10806235/Brendan-Rodgers-I-will-be-a-better-manager-next-season-even-if-Liverpool-are-denied-title.html

I told you that would happen.  :P Cheers for staying positive Tes, I really appreciate it. Wish I could be morle like that myself. Just have the feeling the best team didn't win the title this season and although a lot have gone for us, many things have gone against us like City playing both CP and Everton away when they're having an off-day. I truly am bitter, I know.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 04, 2014, 02:06:38 PM »
I told you that would happen.  :P Cheers for staying positive Tes, I really appreciate it. Wish I could be morle like that myself. Just have the feeling the best team didn't win the title this season and although a lot have gone for us, many things have gone against us like City playing both CP and Everton away when they're having an off-day. I truly am bitter, I know.

I posted several days ago that I was worried Everton were running out of steam, and I think that's whats happened.

We have to a degree, but then it's only to be expected. We have a core of probably only 14/15 players that you would be happy to select. The rest are quite literally just making up the numbers.
We may not have European competition, but our players have had international games and travel. I realise other teams have that, but City and Chelsea have a deeper squad to utilise. We barely have a first 11 + 5 subs.

In the first 5 games in which Suarez was missing, we drew 2-2 away at Swansea and lost 1-0 at home to Southampton. Just one of his goals in either game would see us with at least an extra point, and potentially the title.

I don't think you're bitter at all, Martin. We never in a million years dreamed we would be talking about a title challenge of any sort, never mind a chance of winning it this season. With the huge surprise comes even greater hope, and to be 5 points ahead of Chelsea with three games to go got us believing and hoping against all logic. And with that comes crushing disappointment and frustration if we can't take our chance.

We massively overachieved to get into that position. To see it out required experience, another thing we are massively lacking in at the moment compared to Chelsea and City, both squads and management. To pull it off required even further over achievement. We may or may not eventually win it. Who knows. There are 2 games and six points to play for. Unexpected results do happen.

Before the season started there were 6 teams that had finished ahead of us for the last two seasons running, and that happened under two different managers. We haven't finished 5th or better for the last four seasons. 5 of the 6 teams had finished ahead of us for three or more seasons running, and three for even longer.

Simply to get UEFA Cup football we had to somehow finish ahead of a third of those teams. For a CL qualifier it meant finishing ahead of half of those teams. What we're actually going to at worse is finish ahead of 4 of those 6 teams, possibly even 5.

That's the scale of the achievement to be challenging.

As I've said before though, you have to learn to challenge for the league first, before actually going one better. City have the experience of both challenging and winning, as do Chelsea. We have neither.
Even though we got ourselves 5 points ahead, it's that final part of the home straight is the hardest to negotiate, especially without experience.

Think of a 1500M race. If you kick for home too early on the straight you risk being overtaken just before the line by someone who has timed their kick for home perfectly. If you leave it too late then the finishing line appears and you've run out of track.

This is the manager's first challenge for any trophy of meaning. Nevermind one like the league that takes a lot of skill and experience to cross the line in first. Next season, or the season after, if we find ourselves in the same position as we did before the Chelsea game he will understand that avoiding defeat, picking up that point that meant two further wins and City simply can't catch us, is actually more important than trying to win the game for the sake of winning the game. Experience teaches you pragmatism. You learn to do what is needed, which may be different to what you'd ideally prefer.

We now have a new test and a new lesson, and that's to come back from the disappointment and however we do it, win the last two games. It may not be enough for this season, but learning that lesson may mean it's exactly what we need next season, and the experience of managing it this season could be the difference next season or the season after and by achieving it this season, we would give ourselves the experience to draw on in the future.

What would be the real choker is if we don't respond, and then find City slip up in one of the next two games.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 04, 2014, 04:50:55 PM »
We'll win the league on goals scored.

Had a dream the other night that Carroll scored a deep in injury time goal that didn't change the result of the match as West Ham will still lose, however it changes the goal difference and thus the title!!

We'll beat Palace 5-1. City will beat villa 3-1. Meaning heading into the final game City have a 7 goal advantage. In goals scored in means we have 101 and City have 99.

Going into the final game then. We end the first half against Newcy 3-0 up. City are winning 2-0. As it stands it is a 6 goal difference and we have 104 goals and city 101.

Second half. Our first attack and one of their defenders gets sent off and Gerrard converts the pen. We are 4-0 up and the difference is 5.

Around the 60min mark are faltering but all of a sudden Remy dances around our defence and scores 3-1 and difference is 6 again.

We bring on Alberto and Moses for Allen and Johnson. In our attack after the subs we get a corner and Sakho scores from that 4-1. difference is 5 again.

Noise going around Anfield and its getting louder and louder West Ham score from a free kick it is 2-1. difference is 4.

Suarez then scores a sublime free kick to make it 5-1. difference is now only 3 goals!!!

BUT DESPAIR!!!!!!! News comes that Yaya Toure scored a 20 yard screamer and its 3-1 to city so the difference is now 4.

Moses and Henderson combine a 1-2 and Sturridge taps the ball into an empty net to make it 6-1 after 75mins and the difference is back to 3. Goals scored are now 108 for us and 102 for city.

Suarez is now a man possessed and goes around 4 newcy players but Krul saves his shot and it's a corner. From the resulting corner newcy clear it but it comes out to Alberto who hits a 25 yarder to make it 7-1!! difference now 2!!!

But elation soon becomes desperation as news comes  that Nasri has scored to make it 4-1 to city difference is now 3! There are now only 5 minutes left of the game.

All of a sudden Sturridge gets a through ball rounds Krul and scores to make it 8-1 and the difference is 2 again!!.

In the last minute of the game we get a free kick about 35 yards out. At this time Aspas comes on for Sakho. Gerrard knocks it to Flanagan who puts it in the middle where Aspas scores!!!! 9-1!! and the difference is now 1!!!

4 minutes of injury time we attack again but we are denied but the post. We attack again are caught out and Newcy Counter with Gerrard the only man in our half he fouls Remy and is sent off. Newcy hit the bar with their free kick.

At city with the score 4-1 City are aware that its only 1 goal in it and are pressing but can't score.

At Anfield deep into stoppage time of injury time the ball is in the box and it comes to Sterling who hits iiiiiiitttttttttttttttttt and Krul makes a remarkable save and Newcastle clear it. The final whistle. Liverpool win 9-1 but are in despair as they miss out by one goal.

However there is still 1 more minute to play at the Etihad. Silva just missed an opportunity to make it 5-1 and West Ham have a goal kick. This comes to Noble who gives the ball to Downing who has a 1-2 with Nolan but is fouled in the process. West Ham have a free kick.

Downing takes it and city clear but it comes to Diame who passes it to the other side of the box to Taylor who crosses but Clichy clears it for a corner. 20 seconds are left. Downing takes the corner but City don't clear it Diame puts it into the box, Carroll jumps above Lescott and Zabaleta and heads it in 4-2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! goal difference is now the same but as Liverpool have scored 111 goals and Man City 103 goals we win the league goals scored!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 04, 2014, 06:53:14 PM »
So what are your nightmares like. Second thoughts, don't answer that.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 04, 2014, 06:54:33 PM »
Cardiff 3 - 2 Man City
Aston Villa 3 - 2 Man City
Sunderland 1 - 0 Man City
Southampton 1 - 1 Man City
Norwich 0 - 0 Man City
Man City 2 - 2 Sunderland

As Bart says, it isn't over yet, and City trip up against teams you'd least expect them to. I realise the last two games are at home, but the easier the game appears, the bigger the banana skin it could be.

Add Chelsea 0-0 Norwich to that list. Probably even more unexpected than City's failure to beat Sunderland.