February 19, 2020, 04:44:23 AM

Author Topic: 2013-2014 Season  (Read 162916 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: 2013-2014 Season
« Reply #765 on: May 05, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »
I hope somebody more experienced in these matters sits him down over the Summer and explains a thing or two.

Steve Clarke's only playing golf at the moment. An experienced assistant with an eye for the defence.

good idea, Tes.   We need some brains brought in.

The man who came up short in our title chase, was Brendan.

Fecked up v Chelsea (nutty tactics); and has utterly fecked up in the second half at Palace.

There goes the title.

and 3 nil u after an hour......utter utter madness.  Embarrassingly bad.......school boy stuff.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 05, 2014, 09:54:51 PM »
is david moyes free

No but this man is:

Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 05, 2014, 09:57:30 PM »
 :D

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 05, 2014, 09:58:22 PM »
the title is gone.

now back to the studio.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 05, 2014, 10:16:42 PM »
I'm going to listen to five live phone-in - this should be fun.

Steve Clarridge talking sense. It's easy because it's elementary but all the same, good to hear it.

When we conceded that first goal, that was the time to say 'forget the goal difference', get the three points.

Same as the Chelsea game. Try and win, but make sure you don't lose and get the point.

Before the Chelsea game our maximum was 89 points, 87 with a draw.

City were on 74, with 4 games to play, maximum 86 points.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: May 05, 2014, 10:18:53 PM »
the title is gone.

now back to the studio.

It was already gone. 2 individual mistakes cost us dearly. It beggar's belief how anyone can lay the blame with Rodgers for this one.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: May 05, 2014, 10:23:33 PM »

Steve Clarridge talking sense. It's easy because it's elementary but all the same, good to hear it.

When we conceded that first goal, that was the time to say 'forget the goal difference', get the three points.

Same as the Chelsea game. Try and win, but make sure you don't lose and get the point.

absolutely.

first criteria, get the 3 points.

when Palace got one back, ok, we seal up the shop, park the bus. 

We'll take the three points, and forget any more goals.

Same against Chelsea, I was shouting at the screen in the first half - you wuld have thought we needed the three points, not chelsea.

But as I always feared, Brendan does not have any other tactics......it is Keeganesque football

These two games have shown us the emperor's new clothes.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: May 05, 2014, 10:24:40 PM »
It was already gone. 2 individual mistakes cost us dearly. It beggar's belief how anyone can lay the blame with Rodgers for this one.

does someone else organise the team?

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: May 05, 2014, 10:27:01 PM »

wish I could hear that!

must turn on the tv, and see if I can get radio 5, via one of the apps......commentaries are blocked, but they might allow the talk show bit.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: May 05, 2014, 10:33:37 PM »
have successfully tuned in.......chrstal clear sound.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: May 05, 2014, 10:37:11 PM »

If we have a defensive side to our game we have the capacity to absorb mistakes. All title winning teams make individual errors. Kompany's against us. Grob wasn't labelled a clown for nothing.

We've failed to close the season out like we've failed to close some games out. That is more than just about 'individual mistakes'.

Think about our CL's run when we won it. That's what I'm talking about. And this isn't about names or personalities, so please don't sink to a 'Brendan V Rafa' diatribe, because this is not about personalities, but the Liverpool manager's (name irrelevant) needing to be less idealistic and more pragmatic.

Just to put it another way - when Paisley was manager it was snowing heavily one Thursday. The players thought that training would cancelled. Paisley instead insisted training went ahead so they could practice a more long ball approach just in case the pitch was as snowy on the Saturday. Pragmatism - not selling out, not changing your priciples or beliefs on a whim, but being realistic, seeing a bigger picture and doing what is required, within the rules of course. Remember our constant back passing? Pragmatism.

This feels as bad as the Arsenal game in 1989.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: May 05, 2014, 10:38:28 PM »
have successfully tuned in.......chrstal clear sound.

Steve Clarridge was common sense personified.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: May 05, 2014, 10:49:39 PM »
This feels as bad as the Arsenal game in 1989.

Not even close. Then it was game over. This game is still on. City WILL lose a game at home some time.  I actually feel more optimistic about the title than I did 2 hours ago. Funny thing I know. I actually watched Villa against Hull and if they can perform with the same level of energy and hunger they displayed over the weekend, then I'm not ready to call it a season just yet. Then there's Fat Sam and his hatred of the novoeau riche. Keep the faith!!!

Come on you redmen!!!

The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: May 05, 2014, 11:28:55 PM »
Not even close. Then it was game over. This game is still on. City WILL lose a game at home some time.  I actually feel more optimistic about the title than I did 2 hours ago. Funny thing I know. I actually watched Villa against Hull and if they can perform with the same level of energy and hunger they displayed over the weekend, then I'm not ready to call it a season just yet. Then there's Fat Sam and his hatred of the novoeau riche. Keep the faith!!!

Come on you redmen!!!

Martin, I don't know what chemical they use in the water where you live, but I'd check your chest for feathers.

BTW, I'll have a 5litre bottle of it.  ;D

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: May 05, 2014, 11:48:36 PM »
Martin, I don't know what chemical they use in the water where you live, but I'd check your chest for feathers.

BTW, I'll have a 5litre bottle of it.  ;D

Best of all - it's free!!!

Seriously though, I really really do not understand why people are so down. I don't understand it. I don't understand why a draw is considered so much more probable than a defeat? Is it really really so beyond everything City lose a game at home? They almost did against Sunderland bar a blunder from their keeper.

2 things in our favour:

1) City (just like Milan once did) think they have already won the title so in that sense, no matter how ironic, tonight's result may prove better than a win as that would surely have seen them focused and on their toes.

2) This is by far the biggest game for Villa this season if not in many years. If they win they'll go down in history for sure plus they were very impressive against Hull on Saturday.

This ain't over. Not by a long shot!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 11:52:17 PM by Martinmarx »