October 22, 2020, 12:50:47 PM

Author Topic: Coutinho - Overhyped?  (Read 6510 times)

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Coutinho - Overhyped?
« on: August 12, 2013, 10:48:20 PM »
January, we signed a young lad from Brazil,
how the f**k did he become the future of the
club in the space of 8 months?

Just completely ridiculous and symptomatic of the
desperation of fans and shoddy way the club is run
from one transfer window to the next.

Was Sterling last season, a kid.

What happened to putting in place a spine of 6 players
to grind out consistent results for the 38 games & viewing
the likes of Coutinho as a bonus.

It seems to me, instead of being eased gradually into the side
& allowed to DEVELOP in a natural fashion over the course of
18 months, the lad is being thrust into the spotlight & expected to be
the answer to everything. Pathetic!

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Coutinho - Overhyped?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 11:07:46 PM »
Agreed...and the problem is that if you put all your hopes into one player like coutinho....talented though he is...what happens in January...when we're dwelt 11th in the league and the like of real, barca, psg, come a calling???
Any excellent player worth his salt will want to play at the highest level...

make or break for LFC in the next 2 weeks...we need signings...
if we stick with what we've got...then the emperors clothes shall be revealed...of lack of Balance and tactical acumen all apparent...
coutinho will be off..come january or more likely next summer..

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:03:52 AM »
Agreed...and the problem is that if you put all your hopes into one player like coutinho....talented though he is...what happens in January...when we're dwelt 11th in the league and the like of real, barca, psg, come a calling???
Totally agree.

From what I've seen, Coutinho is a fine young prospect, but whereas before
it was Barnes (24), Beardsley (26), Houghton (25) & Aldridge (28) (take your pick),
backed up by a solid defence. Now there appears to be a disproportionate amount
of emphasis on a 21 year old?

Give the lad a break, there are/should be others in the group expected to contribute
much this season (otherwise what are they doing aty the club?) & the emphasis should be
on the team.

Really sickened at the notion of pressurising young players to deliver at the expense of
others, much older that seem to perennially coast/under-achieve. You'd forget some of them are
even in the team, they're so far beneath the radar of giving 100% week in week out.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 05:20:08 PM »
Totally agree.

From what I've seen, Coutinho is a fine young prospect, but whereas before
it was Barnes (24), Beardsley (26), Houghton (25) & Aldridge (28) (take your pick),
backed up by a solid defence. Now there appears to be a disproportionate amount
of emphasis on a 21 year old?

Give the lad a break, there are/should be others in the group expected to contribute
much this season (otherwise what are they doing aty the club?) & the emphasis should be
on the team.

Really sickened at the notion of pressurising young players to deliver at the expense of
others, much older that seem to perennially coast/under-achieve. You'd forget some of them are
even in the team, they're so far beneath the radar of giving 100% week in week out.

Brilliant post Ed, every bit of it is spot on.

I think the media focus more on individuals than they did in our heyday, but then again, as you say, we had multiple players for which a case of them being crucial to us could be made.

I notice Rodgers talking up Coutinho, when I think he should be doing the opposite. Taking the pressure and expectation away from him and protecting him from the hype to let him develop to the level he appears to be capable of. If he has to talk, which is debatable, it should be all about the team, as a unit, as an entity, where there's not such thing as an individual contribution, but achievement or failure as a collective only.
Talk of and to individuals should be left on the training pitch and in the dressing room. 
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 07:13:42 PM »
I notice Rodgers talking up Coutinho, when I think he should be doing the opposite.
It's almost as if he basks in the popularity of others (reflected popularity).

First it was Young Raheem, then he changed tack to Carra, Jamie Carragher
this that and the other & without fail he finished each eulogy to Luis last season with
"& above all else he's a humble guy".

Now it seems to be Coutinho's turn.

Whatever, all I know is Young Raheem is behaving like a pup, Carra's a Sky
pundit & Luis can't wait to get the f**k out.

So now he has a new player to witter away the minutes of a post-match interview
with & avoid any tough questions. Questions like what the f**k happened to Martin
Skrtel? Where's the cover for Lucas? Who's looking after Sterling? & it's precisely as
you say, protect the player, take the pressure off, let him adjust and develop away from
the spotlight, instead of going out of his way to train the damn thing on him to deflect
attention from obvious questions which don't come with a feelgood vibe.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
It's almost as if he basks in the popularity of others (reflected popularity).

First it was Young Raheem, then he changed tack to Carra, Jamie Carragher
this that and the other & without fail he finished each eulogy to Luis last season with
"& above all else he's a humble guy".

Now it seems to be Coutinho's turn.

Whatever, all I know is Young Raheem is behaving like a pup, Carra's a Sky
pundit & Luis can't wait to get the f**k out.

So now he has a new player to witter away the minutes of a post-match interview
with & avoid any tough questions. Questions like what the f**k happened to Martin
Skrtel? Where's the cover for Lucas? Who's looking after Sterling? & it's precisely as
you say, protect the player, take the pressure off, let him adjust and develop away from
the spotlight, instead of going out of his way to train the damn thing on him to deflect
attention from obvious questions which don't come with a feelgood vibe.

Exactly. In one sentence he talks about it 'being all about the team' then follows it up by highlighting an individual with lashings of verbal whipped cream. Barca's interest in Agger makes him odds on to be the next subject of a Rodgers' eulogy.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:27:54 PM »
agreed.

brent tries to cover all bases, and be all things to all men.

we see this with his interactions with reina and suarez.

one minute he's out for a meal with Reina explaining he wants to bring in competition for the number one spot.......the next minute, once he has a new keeper, he dumps Reina (without as much as a warning).  Forked tongue - someone speaks with.

and who do we believe - suarez or rodgers, re promises made last year.  I know who I believe.  Or maybe Rodgers spanish isn't as hot as he'd like us to think it is.

I actually enjoyed the close-season - because I did not have to listen or read Rodgers verbal diarea.

but now he is back - we have to listen endlessly yo him whittering on about our values.  It would be really cool if he could adopt those same values himself - and shut the feck up.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 09:37:23 PM »
Guys this forum is at risk of turning into the Anti anything Brendan Rodgers does society.

I completely understand why he might get under your skin at times but at this stage on here it just feels like hes damned no matter what he says or doesn't say.

Its bad enough that the media is waiting to screw our club over at every chance it gets but I think its harsh when we start doing the same. Rodgers must feel like hes is managing from the confines of a goldfish bowl.

Even if all the stuff you guys have been berating him for were true it cant be all bad but Ive never seen anyone write a positive article giving him credit for anything.

Dont get me wrong Id prefer to come on here and have people say what they think rather than being positive for positives sake but it just seems as if its negative all the time. Its been this way for a long while now. The guys inherited a car wreck and hes only trying to do his best for the club.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 09:57:23 PM »
The guys inherited a car wreck and hes only trying to do his best for the club.

a car wreck?

when he joined, the club had been in Champions League finals twice in the previous seven seasons.

we had been within 2 points of united one season.

we had been regularly playing in the CL each season.

when he joined we had a top dutch player, who had played and scored in a CL final with us, and played in a world cup final.

we had gerrard.  We have a top class defender in  agger.  We have a top notch brazilian in Lucas. We have a world class player in Suarez.  Reina was top rate too.  etc etc

the club was not a car wreck. 

now newcastle is a bit of a car wreck.....or wolves.

but he inherited a fine set of players - the envy of many clubs.  Some tweaking was all that was needed, in combination with expertise (tactics and knowledge of the market)

And he has had lots of money to throw at the market.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 10:04:47 PM »
a car wreck?

Dude this club has been a car  wreck since Rafa was allowed to leave. The Americans are trying to clean up the mess from the previous Americans.

How that can be construed as any of Rodgers fault is exactly the point I'm making above.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 10:07:49 PM »
I'm not saying anyone has to like the guy but people should be at least fair in their arguments against. At the moment that's definitely not the case.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 10:18:54 PM »
Dude this club has been a car  wreck since Rafa was allowed to leave. The Americans are trying to clean up the mess from the previous Americans.

How that can be construed as any of Rodgers fault is exactly the point I'm making above.

but when the previous yanks were leaving, we had a good set of players, Juan.

and dalglish spent a fortune adding to that set of players.

how can anyone suggest that Rodgers inherited a rubbish squad.

and if the club was such a car wreck, then why did our new owners appoint a youngster in his 30s, with one season experience in the premiership, to address the car wreck?

surely, smart owners would appoint someone with experience.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 10:23:17 PM »
I'm not saying anyone has to like the guy but people should be at least fair in their arguments against. At the moment that's definitely not the case.

I don;t see any attacks (for the sake of it) at all.

I see people raising valid points against the way we are going about our business.

we are within 4 days of the start of a new season.

despite finishing way down the table last season, we have downgraded our playing staff even further, during the summer.

Offline Juan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 11:36:41 PM »
but when the previous yanks were leaving, we had a good set of players, Juan.

why did our new owners appoint a youngster in his 30s, with one season experience in the premiership, to address the car wreck?

surely, smart owners would appoint someone with experience.

But none of that is Rodgers fault.

And i dont see how Rodgers has underachieved or anything. Most predicted we would finish 6th to 8th last year and we did. We didnt surpass expectations but we didnt fall below them either. I just think Rodgers takes the blame for everything wrong at the club that has been rotting long before his arrival.

Offline Ed

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 11:40:15 PM »
I think it's fair to question why we're giving Sky pundits
playing time at the expense of our player of the season
2011/2012? Is it part of the re-development?

In fact I think it's perfectly legitimate to question the manager
about what the hell is happening there with Skrtel, Coates & Toure.
Does he believe Toure is the 1st choice centre back to get us top 4?

I'd also like to know why given that 2 seasons have been put in disarray
due to injuries to Lucas Leiva, why cover in this position is not
seen as a priority?

What's Young Raheem doing up before the courts?

& what sort of promises was he making to Luis last August,
when he was barely a wet week at the club?

Does he believe the absence of a well respected DoF is hindering our ability to
conclude deals for our top targets this Summer?

They're just off the top of my head. Shambles.

I think it's legitimate to ask these questions & get answers.

It's all too easy, imo, to listen to the elevator music Rodgers likes to play.