September 26, 2017, 07:17:15 PM

Author Topic: Anfield Redevelopment  (Read 6414 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Anfield Redevelopment
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »

awesome
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2016, 01:17:13 AM »

awesome

For the first time since whenever, the Main Stand is actually befitting of the name.

It's interesting that the angle of slope of the tiers isn't as severe as some in older stands/stadia. I guess it's more health and safety pc madness at work.

The entire renovation, both inside the ground and even more so outside the ground, has been done superbly.

Well done FSG, and well done the architects for 'getting it'.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2016, 02:03:41 AM »
I hope if they do enlarge the Anfield Road end that they do it as a straight two tiers like the Holte End at Villa or the North Bank at Highbury, and not mess it up with boxes like Forest have done with the Trent End, or the even more ugly North stand at Villa Park.

Holte End

North Bank

Fugly Trent End

Villa's North stand.

Funnily enough, still with Villa, the Holte End when it was terraced was always one of my favourite 'behind goal' stands - it just always looked huge.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2016, 03:18:37 PM »
I hope if they do enlarge the Anfield Road end that they do it as a straight two tiers like the Holte End at Villa or the North Bank at Highbury, and not mess it up with boxes like Forest have done with the Trent End, or the even more ugly North stand at Villa Park.

agreed.

I hate those boxes too, across the middle of the two tiers.

it's cheap, amateurish looking.

maybe my memory is wrong, but I think I recall talk of the toxic twins having those ugly boxes, in one stadium design for Anfield,  in a two tiered Kop.

I love our new stand.

and as you said earlier, hats off to FSG, the local council, local folk, Ian Ayre, and planners/designers/contractor.   They came up with a great end result.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2016, 03:41:09 PM »

watched Match of the Day last night.

wow, West Ham's new ground - the London Stadium, was bizarre looking.

the long-held concern, of the distance from spectators to the pitch, has not been resolved.

it's a stadium built for an athletics track. 

It reminded me of old European grounds from the 70s.....the type that Clough and Taylor took their deck-chairs, out to pitchside, to get close to the European Cup action.

Unless the hammers find some resolution (is there even one?), then I think they have a big problem on their hands.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2016, 02:05:21 AM »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2016, 10:44:46 PM »

watched Match of the Day last night.

wow, West Ham's new ground - the London Stadium, was bizarre looking.

the long-held concern, of the distance from spectators to the pitch, has not been resolved.

it's a stadium built for an athletics track. 

It reminded me of old European grounds from the 70s.....the type that Clough and Taylor took their deck-chairs, out to pitchside, to get close to the European Cup action.

Unless the hammers find some resolution (is there even one?), then I think they have a big problem on their hands.

I think a lot has to do with planning law and the angle of elevation that the blocks of seats can have. I seem to remember reading that in more recent times grounds have had to be built with a flatter angle than in the past, but doing that takes the seating further away from the pitch.

A lot of European grounds were either ex-Olympic ones or were municipally owned and the running track I guess provided extra income.

Give me Upton Park anyday. I remember in the 70s the stands behind the goals were really close at Upton Park, and the nets were straight and very shallow, instead of being deeper and going over rear stanchions.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2016, 11:00:35 PM »

It already has the look of having been a part of the ground for ages, and that warm feeling of familiarity. It blends and fits in so perfectly.

That one stand cost more than an entire bowl would have cost back at the beginning of 2000s, when Parry first unveiled what got named the Parry bowl.

Then the architects, AFL, redesigned it in circa 2008:

Shudders at the thought of what might have been.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2016, 04:45:52 PM »
It already has the look of having been a part of the ground for ages, and that warm feeling of familiarity. It blends and fits in so perfectly.

That one stand cost more than an entire bowl would have cost back at the beginning of 2000s, when Parry first unveiled what got named the Parry bowl.

Then the architects, AFL, redesigned it in circa 2008:

Shudders at the thought of what might have been.

if the Toxic Two had their way, we'd be lumbered with their monstrous stadium, and debt that would have taken the rest of our lives to pay off, Tes.

whereas, FSG have done the smart thing....like they did with Boston RedSox.....and augmented the existing structure - staying true to the look and feel.

Plus, their 115 million enhancement, will take less than 6 years to be paid off.

Interesting point you make re costs - and that 115 being enough to build an entire bowl in the early 2000s. 

Tho it took too long to get here, I think, we ultimately got it right. 

A great stadium, a great manager, and building a great side.

These are great days to be a red's fan.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2016, 12:31:12 PM »
 Pep Guardiola urges Manchester City fans to stop Champions League booing   
  • Supporters again jeered competition anthem before Mönchengladbach game
  • Poor attendance prompts Guardiola to calls on fans to fill the Etihad Stadium

The coach’s comments came in light of the fact that the 30,270 attendance at the Etihad Stadium could only partly be put down to the rearrangement of the Group C fixture at short notice after Tuesday's postponement, and was well below the 55,000 capacity.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/15/pep-guardiola-manchester-city-fans-stop-champions-league-booing

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2016, 11:12:42 PM »
Pep Guardiola urges Manchester City fans to stop Champions League booing   
  • Supporters again jeered competition anthem before Mönchengladbach game
  • Poor attendance prompts Guardiola to calls on fans to fill the Etihad Stadium

The coach’s comments came in light of the fact that the 30,270 attendance at the Etihad Stadium could only partly be put down to the rearrangement of the Group C fixture at short notice after Tuesday's postponement, and was well below the 55,000 capacity.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/15/pep-guardiola-manchester-city-fans-stop-champions-league-booing

I don't understand why the fans would boo the anthem. I know it's a bit pretentious to have an 'anthem', but it's all part of the packaging and marketing of the Champions League 'brand'. That branding allows the prize money that's paid out to be brought in in the first place.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2016, 03:09:18 PM »
I don't understand why the fans would boo the anthem. I know it's a bit pretentious to have an 'anthem', but it's all part of the packaging and marketing of the Champions League 'brand'. That branding allows the prize money that's paid out to be brought in in the first place.

guessing it is linked to the very late postponement putting a lot of City fans out, Tes.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2016, 04:00:54 PM »
guessing it is linked to the very late postponement putting a lot of City fans out, Tes.

It's an 'occupational hazard' of being a football fan. Stupid kick-off times at far flung places, late changes and generally being regarded as two places below nothing.

No other type of industry, where the 'product' is not of an absolutely essential nature, would get away with treating it's 'users' or 'consumers' the way football does.

Emotions have a lot to answer for.  ;D

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2016, 05:55:50 PM »
excatly.

but when you sell your soul to the devil, you have to dance to his tune.  :(

the one good thing about living in the tropics - was that time differences meant I got up and could watch live 3pm Saturday kicks offs at 9am or 10am my time. 

And 8 pm kick-offs were kicking off at 2pm in the tropics.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2017, 02:57:20 PM »
I know Melwood is iconic, but bringing together the academy and first team makes total sense. Klopp and the first team coaching staff will be able to run their eye over the youth and junior players far more easily, and players chosen to train with the first team squad won't be 'sent back' to another site afterwards.

Total integration. One club. All together.