November 21, 2019, 10:40:20 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 53478 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Summer Transfer Window 2014
« on: March 28, 2014, 10:18:29 PM »
So which positions need strengthening and who can be deemed surplus to requirements?

It's a bit  harder to know who to look at for each targeted position as we don't always know the availability of players who would fit the bill or who else may be interested it make it more difficult for us to 'seal the deal'.

I think left back has to be the number one priority. Enrique seems permanently broken and Cissoko has been this season's biggest disappointment - back to Valencia you go. Likewise with Moses, Chelsea can have him back.

Assaidi will probably stay at Stoke, and Aspas can stow away in Cissoko's luggage and get himself back to Spain.

Johnson needs to be offered a small extension so we're not trying to blood two new full backs at the same time.

So what to do with Skrtel and Agger? Monaco are said to be interested in Sakho - would you let him go if we made a decent profit.

We certainly need something more in midfield? But what exactly? And who needs upgrading?

It's amazing that with all the potential room need for improvement that we are where we are, so maybe the first signing should be the manager on a two year extension. He's shown the biggest improvement of anyone this season, and whilst I'm still not convinced with his transfer dealings (though I'm not convinced our scouting setup is giving him the best chances of success), and at the risk of being accused of negativity, we are still too open defensively, his man management appears to be superb and he seems to be able to get players to develop an improve, and he certainly has them fully behind him - all good qualities to have in your manager.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:50:43 PM »
Sakho is our best defender why would we want to sell him?!? For me Agger is the most likely to go from the three of them.

Playing football manager  ;D I'd do the following:-

Sell:- Agger £7m, Aspas £2m, Assaidi £1m, Borini £8m plus other youth players £2m so a total of £20m on top of the £60m (budget plus CL money) giving us £80m.

In:-

Well a left back for me is a priority I'd target a number of left backs that are attainable to us:- Ricardo Rodriguez from Wolfsberg, De Sciglio at Milan, Ansaldi at Zenit, Ben Davies at Swansea. Hell I'd even offer Ashley Cole a 1 year deal.

My dream signing would be De Sciglio but imo he wouldn't leave Milan for another couple of years. My next preference would be Rodriguez.

For me Luke Shaw is unattainable. He is Chelsea bound imo.

So I'd say £15m for Rodriguez or Davies. Argument sake say Rodriguez.

I'd spend £10m or so plus a couple of youth players on loan for Caulker. I've been impressed by him since his Swansea days on loan and Spurs were mad to sell him. Brendan knows him well and would be a good signing for us I think.

I'd then spend £18m on Konoplyanka as we need further options in offensive positions.

I'd try and get Ivan Rakitic from Southampton. I'd offer them £20-25m for him. He'd compete well with Gerrard, Lucas, Allen and Henderson for a place in midfield and give us further depth in that area.

I'd then target a back up striker as I've sold Borini and Aspas. I'd target one of Bony, Cardozo, Vucinic, Rodriguez, Remy. I'd attempt to get Remy and offer QPR £15m.

Priority is definitely the full back position but perversely we have extremely strong back ups in those areas in Flanagan and Enrique. Ricardo Rodriguez has many suitors though and can pick his next club so may be out of our price range. Ben Davies is a player I think can be a good job for us and has the potential to be much better too.

I would like to keep Borini in the squad for next season however I think after hearing the rumors I think he is going. We definitely need a quality back up for the SAS next season especially as we should be in europe. Remy has been excellent for Newcy and doubt he'll want to stay there or go back to QPR and if we have CL football we should attract him to us as there will be many clubs who'd want him. Were we to miss out on him then I'd target Bony who I think is top class but Swansea will hold us to ransom. Cardozo would offer us experience and wouldn't demand first team football. Same with Vucinic. A striker who I really fancy and don't know really why but I think has natural talent and physical prowess is Jay Rodriguez. Always been impressed by him whenever I've seen him play and have good link up skills, great physical assets and great finishing.

I also believe we need another body in midfield. Gerrard and Lucas have the DM position sewn up but we need another midfielder to help out Henderson and Allen and provide us with something different. Last two transfer windows we've been linked with Rakitic. I'd love to sign him as I think he's a really dynamic midfielder and would give us something different plus he has power. Alas many clubs would want him so we may be priced out. If so then I'd love to sign Morgan Schneiderlin from Southampton. Vastly underrated player and would give us those abilities Rakitic possesses but at a slightly lower level but never the less would be a superb signing.

Brendan obviously wants another goal scoring wide man. Having targeted Willian, Salah, Konoplyanka etc. I think we'll be in for Konoplyanka again and with CL football we should get him.

So that would be Rodriguez, Caulker, Rakitic, Konoplyanka and Remy in my squad.

So my squad would be:-

GK:- Mignolet, Jones

RB:- Johnson, Flanagan, Wisdom, Kelly

LB:- Rodriguez, Enrique, Smith

CB:- Sakho, Skrtel, Caulker, Toure, Ilori

DM:- Gerrard, Lucas

CM:- Allen, Henderson, Rakitic, Rossiter, Lussey

AM:- Coutinho, Suso, Teixeira,

FD:- Suarez, Sturridge, Konoplyanka, Remy, Sterling, Luis Alberto,

Excuse my indulgence into football manager mode haha!!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 08:47:23 PM »
Brendan obviously wants another goal scoring wide man. Having targeted Willian, Salah, Konoplyanka etc.

I spotted your deliberate mistake. Willian and goal scoring are total strangers.  :D

Interesting list and when I get a bit more time I'll re-read it in more detail.

It's interesting that you think that Gerrard/Lucas have that position sewn up. Is that your view or your opinion of how the manager sees it?

I agree with you re Sakho being our best defender and the question was more a 'would we' rather than 'should we', in that if Monaco wave a sizeable fee under the club's nose then do/would they cash in or not.
He shouldn't be on any form of departure list as I think there is so much more to come from him, but sometimes clubs see things differently.

I certainly think that Rodgers will look to bring in an alternative/additional/complimentary supplier of goals to Suarez and Sturridge, and an addition to midfield that offers an additional dimension to Allen/Henderson.

224, have you seen/ heard much of Ryan McLaughlin lately - is he anywhere near ready to step up and make the break through into the first team squad?

Coates will leave and then there's the question of 'what to do with' Kelly, Wisdom and Robinson.

When you go through things there's a lot of defenders already at the club that have had an involvement in around the first team, yet we still look like there's plenty to be done in that area this Summer.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 01:06:18 AM »
Roberto Firmino - Hoffenheim - 20 goals and 14 assists in 31 games - attacking midfielder - gives Coutinho a run for his money place and only 22.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »
We're being linked with Tevez, if Suarez does get tempted away by Real:

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/472553/Just-in-case-Liverpool-eyeing-Carlos-Tevez-if-Luis-Suarez-leaves-this-summer

There's no doubting his talent, just his personality and his damned agent.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 11:04:16 PM »
Daryl Janmaat - Feyenoord - Right back - 24 -13 caps for Holland - created 36 chances this season - 1 year left on his contract and is refusing to sign another.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 10:46:37 PM »
Tello looks like he could leave Barca, as could Xherdan Shaqiri from Bayern.

Would a cheeky bid for Shinji Kagawa, seeing as he's out in the cold at Old Trafford?

We're also being linked with PSV winger Zakaria Bakkali.

We've also got Suso to come back.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 10:48:21 PM by Tes »

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »
On our radar this summer are Konoplyanka, Lallana, Lars Bender and Ricardo Rodriguez.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 01:54:36 PM »
On our radar this summer are Konoplyanka, Lallana, Lars Bender and Ricardo Rodriguez.

Interesting.

Tough competition for Bender from the likes of Real, Arsenal, the Mancs.

Good to see we're looking at left backs with Rodriguez, though so are Chelsea and the Mancs. We're also being heavily linked with Marcos Rojo of Sporting Lisbon, who can play centre half too. Shaw is overpriced.

I thought the interest in Konoplyanka had waned somewhat.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »
The Ben Arfa link has started to re-surface with £6M the alleged fee. Whilst he has undoubted talent, do we really players like that coming in and potentially risking the dressing room harmony and togetherness that we seem to have?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 03:02:09 PM »
Micah Richards link surfacing again. Why would we want an injury prone player, who is hardly a shining example of a calm and composed defender. Just more individual mistakes waiting to happen.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2014, 11:21:10 AM »
It looks like Napoli are giving up on signing Pepe. I know there are concerns about his salary etc but to have Reina and Mignolet slugging it out to be no1 could only be off benefit to us.

Plus the CL experience and being a squad member of World Cup and European Championship winners can't do anything but help massively, and then there's his influence and presence in the dressing room.

Mignolet is a good shot stopper but other aspects of his game let him down. Reina's distribution is far better than Mignolet's, and his ability to throw and kick long accurately would help massively when we choose to play a more counter attacking game.

There will be plenty of games and why shouldn't a keeper have to earn his right to be selected for the next game, like all the outfield players. Competition is healthy for both the team and individual.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »
Apparently Luis' happy at the club: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/luis-suarez-is-very-happy-at-liverpool-beams-brendan-rodgers-9323454.html

So he should be. No other club or fans (especially) would give him the support and love that we do.