January 24, 2021, 12:08:23 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 85452 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #285 on: July 30, 2014, 09:17:42 AM »
I hadn't seen anything on Remy's character - I am guessing here - big headed type? 

I do recall reading that he seemed to lose interest at Newcastle (with the rest of the ship in similar mode)

Dude, this is just my impression, so more than likely I'm being unfair. He missed the game against us last game of the season. According to Pardew, both at the time and since, he was deemed not to have been quite fit enough. He'd had the calf injury March to April, which was apparently a re-occurrence from the beginning of the season, and had missed training all week in the week leading up to our game, again with a calf problem, so Pardew deemed him unfit, and that was the story given to the media.

Remy and his representatives, on more than one occasion came out and denied this and stated he'd come to an arrangement with Pardew to be rested so he'd be fit for the World Cup.
Whether he was injured or rested for the WC, in resting him Pardew did the player a huge favour and the club and fans a disservice, and therefore Remy should have accepted the public reasons given and backed his manager in return for being rested. If he was rested, Remy knows the manager can't admit to that, as it would cause disharmony amongst the players and anger amongst the fans.
Asking to be rested for the WC was a selfish thing to do (if that's what happened) putting himself (Remy) before the club paying his wages.
Telling the world he'd been rested 'as agreed' put his manager in a terrible situation, showed no respect to the fans and highlighted how he'd put himself and his WC place ahead of the club and fans.

There was a similar incident at Marseille, I think it was surrounding the medical, which his people denied there was any problem, which we know wasn't true as that's when the heart condition was discovered.

Also look at his career in England. He signs permanently, not on loan, with a relegation threatened QPR in the January, who then get relegated. He has a release clause to avoid being stuck with the team he chose to sign for. He gets his wish not to have and to try and help QPR get promoted and playing in the Championship, by getting the loan move to Newcastle. Despite Newcastle giving him the opportunity to remain in the PL, he has no desire to move there, and as you say, hardly broke his neck trying for the club in the second half of the season. Now QPR are back up, the club that gave him the chance to play PL football, he's still not interested in playing for them, or Newcastle the club that gave him the chance to avoid the Championship, and both clubs have bent over backwards, arguably to their cost, to accommodate the player's wishes.

There was another incident at Newcastle and at Marseille though I can't remember enough details, but the things I've read since the failed transfer, have just left the impression of a selfish and rather ungrateful individual. As I said at the start, it's only my impression and interpretation of things I've read, so it may well be my impression is based on inaccuracies.         
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 30, 2014, 04:49:15 PM »
Maybe a cheeky bid for Shinji Kagawa. I doubt Van Gaal will have the slightest partizan feeling or deliberate antagonism either towards us or to selling an unwanted player to us. He seems way above all the nonsense Taggart would have loved getting involved in.

In his first season with them, despite not getting a regular run, he scored 6 and assisted 4 in 20 PL games, and added 2 more assists in 3 CL games.

In his final year at Dortmund he scored 13 and assisted 12 in 31 Bundesliga matches, with 1 goal in 6 CL matches and 3 goals and 2 assists in 5 German cup games.
The season before, his first in the Bundesliga, saw 8 goals and 1 assist in 18 league games, 2 goals in 6 UEFA Cup games and 1 assist in 2 German cup games.

He's shown an ability to settle into 2 different new leagues, and contributes a goal or assist every other game.  He's only 25 so the best is hopefully still ahead and can play from wide coming in also. He formed a great understanding with Lewandowski and he's just the sort of player you can see combining with Sturridge, Lambert, Sterling, Coutinho, Lallana etc.

Go on Brendan, you know you want to. Taggart's parting gift to us.  :P

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 30, 2014, 05:10:11 PM »
i know this is fantasy football but evidently Marco Reus is available and we're leading as faves to sign! with remy not signing maybe its a sign!

http://forums.lfconline.com/showthread.php?t=187445

Seriously though, the more you think about it the more sense it makes. If his buyout clause is indeed £28M, then it's a relative bargain in this Summer's even crazier than usual market. His wages would be huge, but FSG have shown they're not scared of investing in that way, either with us or the Red Sox.

2013/14 - 16 goals, 14 assists in 30 Bundesliga games, plus 5 goals and 5 assists in 9 CL games.
2012/13 - 14 goals, 11 assists in 32 Bundesliga games, plus 4 goals and 4 assists in 13 CL games.
2011/12 - 18 goals, 12 assists in 32 Bundesliga games, plus 3 goals and 2 assists in 5 German Cup games - Dortmund weren't in Europe.

It would be a huge investment but he's probably ready to kick on to the next level, like Suarez did over the last two seasons and you can definitely see him, Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho (especially) being able to combine as well as Luis did with them, and he'd been harder to mark out of the game and cut supply to not playing in a central position.

If we do look at a big fee, big name signing then he would be the most exciting one. And please, no Lavezzi, the most overrated so-called forward I can remember for a long time and at 29 is getting on a bit. He's just so average, hardworking, but just so average as a forward player and not what you'd call a winger and not particularly creative either.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 30, 2014, 10:51:44 PM »
DONE DEAL: Southampton snap up Chelsea's Ryan Bertrand on a season-long loan

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/391848/DONE-DEAL-Southampton-snap-up-Chelsea-s-Ryan-Bertrand-on-a-season-long-loan

Phew!!! I'd much rather go with what we've got, Enrique, Flanno (out of position) and Johnson, especially Johnson, as he's a much better defender playing left back. He doesn't seem to go forward as much or get caught out of position even when he is at least at the right end of the field. It's as though he has to concentrate a lot more and isn't complacent like he is when playing right back.

I think Bertrand would have been a very average, but very expensive mistake, soon to become just another piece of deadwood.

I find it hard to believe that not one single club he's been on loan to have signed him. It's not as though Chelsea managers seem bothered about keeping hold of him permanently, at least not to play him.
This Summer Spurs and the Mancs have both bought left backs. Arsenal need one as they only really have Monreal, as Kieran Gibbs was made in the same glass left back factory as Aurelio. Yet none of them have even looked at Bertrand. Even West Ham haven't bothered, no have Swansea needing to replace Ben Davies.

Poor old Southampton have had no real choice having lost both full backs with little time left to get permanent deals sort for both a left and right back and used to their team mates to any sort of degree before the league kicks off.

It will be interesting what Koeman can make out of "Mr Rentaleftback"

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 31, 2014, 07:30:45 PM »
It seems yet again, for time number umpteen, we're going back in for Moreno. This is like a re-run of last Summer's pursuit of Ilori, where we left it right to the end to try and get the fee reduced, only to cave in and pay them exactly what they wanted, giving the player no time with his team mates.

We will probably end up paying £20M for Moreno anyway, without such a huge investment having time to gell with his team mates before the start of the season, or even into the season.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 31, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
Picture confirmation as Brendan Rodgers closes in on signing Marco Reus…

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/31/picture-confirmation-as-brendan-rodgers-closes-in-on-signing-marco-reus-4816586/

Unfortunately for the clueless "journalist" who thought it was an amusing idea, getting LFC fans clicking on his shabby rag's site, probably with hopes raised, Rodgers had been working his way from left to right, so just like in real life, he'd actually passed up the chance to 'sign Reus'.  ;D

Additionally, 'Reus' wears number 11 for Dortmund and 21 for Germany.  ::)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 01, 2014, 10:52:06 PM »
The manager's already done a u-turn on Moreno, well here's a chance to do another.

Swap Glenn Johnson for Loic Remy. We improve our goal difference twice over, Harry gets a second ex player to work with, he'll replace Remy by persuading Defoe to come out of whatever retirement home he's playing for in America and with Ferdinand, Defoe and Johnson Harry can feel like he's still at West Ham.

And if Remy does breakdown terminally he's only cost us around 50p plus his wages, which would inccidently be less than Johnson's.

Sorted. Now we just need a pair of proper fullbacks, not converted wingers, and an assistant manger/coach who's prepared to get himself lathered with the dirty, less savioury side of football, defending. Brendan can still be the front end whilst his assistant is the back end.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 02, 2014, 03:43:06 PM »
QPR are looking to take Juve's Mauricio Isla on loan for the season, which is a potential blow for us, as it looks like Harry won't be interested in taking Johnson off our hands, and Isla would have been a good replacement for Johnson, especially on loan, as it wouldn't necessarily hold back either Flanno, or Wisdom (next season) if he stays.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 02, 2014, 04:29:55 PM »
For reasons that can only be political Casillas has been made no1 at Real again and the previous no1, Diego Lopez, who'd kept him out, has been told he can leave. Rodgers could do a lot worse than at least think about it, unless he's patched things up with Pepe, which I think is doubtful.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 02, 2014, 11:40:02 PM »
An interesting quote from this article: http://threeandin.com/archives/43123

"Last week saw the bizarre collapse of Loic Remy’s move from QPR to Anfield due to a reported hole in the heart (source: Guardian).

The reason it's interesting is that nowhere has a "hole in the heart" been mentioned. The article quotes it's source for that as The Guardian, yet oddly, there's no mention even of Remy's heart in any of the Guardian reports, nevermind the problem with it.

Asa Hartford played his entire career in the late 60s, 70s and 80s with a hole in the heart, discovered whilst having a medical at Leeds in 1971 for his transfer from WBA.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 02, 2014, 11:46:08 PM »
I hadn't seen anything on Remy's character - I am guessing here - big headed type?

"The 26-year-old had been due to arrive on Tyneside for talks on Sunday night but did not appear.

QPR matched Marseille's asking price and have now offered Remy a more lucrative contract, understood to be more than £70,000 per week.

Remy had previously indicated he would not join the Loftus Road club.
"

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 02, 2014, 11:56:06 PM »
Maybe this sheds a bit more light on the heart condition or the reason for us backing out:

http://www.oneworldsports.com/stories/money-why-liverpool-denied-loic-remy

" Loic Remy's €12million transfer to Liverpool was called off for financial rather than medical reasons, One World Sports has learned.

Liverpool had flown the France international striker and his agent to their preseason tour of the United States last week to undergo a medical examination and conclude discussions on Remy's salary package. According to a well-placed source, the club then attempted to negotiate down the length and value of an outline agreement for a five-year contract on a basic wage of £110,000 a week.

During Remy's transfer from Nice to Marseille, the latter club announced that MRI examinations had revealed “an anomaly” on the wall of his heart.

Heart conditions can change, especially physical ones, and cardiologists, like any other medical expert, can sometimes get it wrong.

I still wonder if the owners were unaware of the condition until it came to them signing off on the deal and therefore going through all the associated paperwork, though the figure of £110K a week is a lot higher than the £80K that has been pretty uniformly reported across all areas of the media.

As with nature of the heart condition, I've not seen this much detail reported, only that he 'had a heart problem' or 'an anomaly with his heart'.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 03, 2014, 09:37:26 AM »
Considering Sturridge's propensity for niggling not serious injuries, is it worth re-visiting the Remy transfer?

If it was a medical condition that caused so much concern, it must be a new one, as his career hasn't been interrupted by any major or particular injury, and whatever the heart anomaly is it hasn't affected his career in any way. Unless it is an insurance issue and QPR and Newcastle took huge risks, then surely we could look at it again?

Even if it means he had to accept £60K over £80K, or even the £70K he was supposedly on at QPR, surely Remy, if he has anything about him as a pro footballer, would prefer the chance to play CL football and challenge (hopefully) at the right end of the table rather than the bottom end or middle. His basic could be lower but made up with goal and win bonuses, even paying more for an equalising goal or a goal that proves to be the winner, than for other goals that are just part of a victory score.
Having read Arthur Lowe's book recently, these sort of bonuses really do happen and more often than you'd think.

Remy is the closest to Sturridge that is readily available, without being so similiar that they couldn't combine. Someone like Bony would require us to change the way we play to accommodate him.

I understand Rodgers talking about waiting, but by January our season could already be nearly over, and clubs are less prepared to release their strikers in the reduced length Winter window.

I hope the Lavezzi rumours are just that.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 03, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »
Pepe Reina asks Liverpool to terminate his contract after failing to secure a transfer

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/392489/Pepe-Reina-asks-Liverpool-to-terminate-his-contract-after-failing-to-secure-a-transfer

If he wants it terminating that's up to him, as long as he doesn't expect a penny beyond the termination date, especially as we're not going to get anything in the way of a transfer fee.

I guess him and Rodgers can't/won't kiss and make up. It's a shame as the idea of Brad Jones as second choice again fills me with worry. I don't mind the odd match, but if Mignolet was to get injured................ :'(

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 04, 2014, 08:59:27 PM »
Liverpool face battle with Inter Milan for £5m Barcelona ace Dani Alves

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/392659/Liverpool-face-battle-with-Inter-Milan-for-5m-Barcelona-ace-Dani-Alves

Why? We need a right back who is a defender but who could contribute to the attack if the opportunity arises.
We already we a right back who is that in name only.

Let him use Inter as his pension plan. He'd also be more effective in the much slower paced Serie A.

Thanks, but definitely not thanks.