November 21, 2019, 12:18:52 PM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 53481 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #435 on: September 01, 2014, 04:04:29 PM »
Harry gets his facts wrong yet again:

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/qpr/redknapp_speaks_out_on_remy_s_failed_liverpool_medical_and_claims_arsenal_were_half_interested_1_3752036

“If you don’t sign a player, I don’t think you should come out and say he has failed a medical.

“You could say you couldn’t agree terms and you all move on.

“The medical one, that can finish people’s careers in some cases.

“We’ve all done it, though. I’m not saying no other club has done it, but it’s something that should be changed.”

He obviously never read the statement the club put out through the manager:

"We have made a decision, as a club, not to go ahead with the deal," Rodgers said.

"It's unfortunate for the player. We are disappointed for the player. But these things happen.

"It's happened before and there's nothing more to be said and we will move on and look at other targets."

It was the media that stated it was a failed medical, this being typical from the Telegraph, Bascombe and all:

The Merseyside club are declining to comment on the reasons for the breakdown of the transfer, but it is understood that the decision was taken on medical grounds.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10993913/Loic-Remys-8-million-move-to-Liverpool-called-off-as-French-striker-fails-medical.html

The Guardian was even more speculative:

Rémy was expected to complete his switch from Loftus Road during Liverpool’s pre-season tour of the United States, having undergone a medical in Boston early last week. Personal terms had been agreed with the France international and the deal had progressed so far that Liverpool had offered the striker the No7 shirt vacated by Luis Suárez.

On Friday the delay in confirming Rémy as Liverpool’s fifth summer signing was attributed to administrative issues but the club pulled out of the deal on Sunday. Liverpool declined to comment on the reasons for the deal’s collapse but their decision is understood to be final and the manager, Brendan Rodgers, will now consider alternative targets.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/27/loic-remy-move-liverpool-queens-park-rangers

Up to that point they'd seen the delay in the completion of the signing totally differently, as the Guardian above shows and the Mirror was typical, even their headline stating it:

Loic Remy's protracted Liverpool transfer delayed over paperwork problems

Loic Remy's move from QPR to Liverpool has been delayed due to problems with the paperwork.Remy passed a medical in Boston on Wednesday and has agreed a four-year deal worth around £80,000-per-week.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/loic-remys-protracted-liverpool-transfer-3916218

Remy To Liverpool Move Delayed Over Paperwork Problems
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/remy-liverpool-move-delayed-over-paperwork-problems-161856212.html

Loic Remy, up there with the identity of JFK's killer (though Harry will probably know) and the reason the dinosaurs died out, as one of life's great mysteries.

Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 01, 2014, 10:35:14 PM »
Looks like we're not getting Romero, which I can't say I'm too sorry about.

Sampdoria are hardly a superpower in Italy anymore. They were glad to see him go to Monaco on loan last season, where he only managed 3 league games and 5 cup games, and despite him being Argentina's no 1, Sampdoria have been trying to give him away this Summer. He's only 27, granted there's just a year left on his contract, but considering he was first choice in Serie B for them and then first choice in their first season back in Serie A (2012/13), last season's snub was a pretty quick fall from favour.
Last season's first choice himself only has a one year left on his deal, so he hardly looks like the long term No 1 and they've just taken Emiliano Viviano on loan from Palermo, who at 28, has spent more of his career on loan than permanently at any club. So Sampdoria are hardly well stocked for keepers, or have anyone who looks remotely long term, yet they don't want the World Cup finalist's No 1.   

Van Gaal knows him from AZ Alkmaar.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 01, 2014, 10:38:24 PM »
Assaidi's going back to Stoke on loan for the season. Why? Why not simply sign for them permanently earlier in the Summer? Back in the same boat again next Summer. The definition of pointless.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 02, 2014, 12:08:30 AM »
It will be interesting to see how the manager reacts to Borini's failed move to QPR.

Taken from:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-news-live-falcao-man-4146147

Rodgers has told his fringe players they will be frozen out if they turn moves down.

As he's still here and if needed I hope Rodgers does get all stubborn. If he's to play anytime then it needs to be centrally in his proper position and we may well get a goal out of yet.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 02, 2014, 08:49:53 AM »
all these failed departures, clearly suggests that unwanted players are refusing to budge from their big fat Liverpool contracts.

I always had the feeling that people like Borinii are happy to run down their contract - in order to get bigger wages when they do leave (i.e. little or nothing in a transfer fee for the club, and all the money going into a big fat wage).

I'd freeze people like that out.

If we cannot get a decent fee - then we can ruin a player's future wage demands, when he eventually leaves for another club (by not having him involved).   If a lad like Borini is effectively out of football for a year or more, then what club will give him 90,000 a week in the future.

Two can play the system.

Common sense and mutual respect will prevail, one always hopes.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 02, 2014, 04:58:59 PM »
all these failed departures, clearly suggests that unwanted players are refusing to budge from their big fat Liverpool contracts.

I always had the feeling that people like Borinii are happy to run down their contract - in order to get bigger wages when they do leave (i.e. little or nothing in a transfer fee for the club, and all the money going into a big fat wage).

I'd freeze people like that out.

If we cannot get a decent fee - then we can ruin a player's future wage demands, when he eventually leaves for another club (by not having him involved).   If a lad like Borini is effectively out of football for a year or more, then what club will give him 90,000 a week in the future.

Two can play the system.

Common sense and mutual respect will prevail, one always hopes.

With Assaidi I'd agree with you Dude. He had a successful spell at Stoke, which is his level, and they clearly wanted him to continue to be a first team player. He's asked for a certain salary, I've no idea whether it's the same as what he gets here or more. A salary which the likes of Stoke simply can't pay, now he's still ended up there anyway, with us no doubt topping up what Stoke can pay him. His value will be less next Summer and he'll probably get his move to Stoke with them paying less an probably topping up what they offered him this year.

With Borini, there's been no indication that he priced himself out of a move to Sunderland, rather he just didn't want to go there. If one of the Italian clubs had come in for him as had been rumoured, then I'm pretty certain he would have 'gone home'. We chose to sign him and gave him the contract we did and he's entitled to hold us to it as we would hold him to it if it suited us.
I think Borini is a serious, professional who wants to prove himself with us, or at least fail having been given a fair crack. He left what was a very good situation for him, having just come off an excellent season with Roma, having signed permanently in the January, he scored 9 goals in 24 matches and was a regular first team player, and had made his debut for the Italian Senior National team.
Along comes a manager who he's already played for twice before, obviously showing great belief in him, backed up by the offer of a 5 year contract. He could have stayed at Roma and it was probably a mistake him not doing, but he strikes be as a very determined and grounded individual who wished to challenge himself. He had bad luck with injury in his first season and had to settle for playing out of position when he was given a first team chance. I think having had the manager pay a pretty large fee for him and then him have the luck with injuries he did, I think he went to Sunderland in order to and probably on the understanding that he could prove himself there and then make a go of his career here.

Obviously things change and move on in football, and he's a casualty of that, but I think he just wants an injury free season to try to prove himself to a manager who had previously shown a lot of faith and confidence in him in various ways (2nd time signing him, fee paid, 5 year deal etc). If he gets the chance and it doesn't work out I think he would then move on, but I think getting the chance is important to him, and he seems prepared to fight against the odds to try and get it. Whenever he's played he's never given less than a 100% and I'd rather have a team of the likes of him, Carra and Dirk, than one full of the likes of Glenn Johnson.

I don't think he is either good enough or the right sort of striker, but I'd have others out of the club before him, in terms of lack of application, effort, professionalism and happy to just go through the motions and collect their salaries.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 02, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »
We've agreed terms with Valdes and will probably be signing him next month.

It will be telling when we submit our PL and CL squad list if there is one space open.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 02, 2014, 06:33:07 PM »
We've agreed terms with Valdes and will probably be signing him next month.

It will be telling when we submit our PL and CL squad list if there is one space open.

The medical should prove interesting.  ;D

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 02, 2014, 07:02:43 PM »
Borini's agent gets things confused or is misinterpreted, depending on how you interpret it  ???:

Agent blasts QPR after Fabio Borini deal falls through

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/qpr/agent_blasts_qpr_after_fabio_borini_deal_falls_through_1_3754955

Liverpool's inflexibility over Fabio Borini's deadline day debacle SLAMMED by agent

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/397706/Liverpool-s-inflexibility-over-Fabio-Borini-s-deadline-day-debacle-SLAMMED-by-agent

Appearing in both reports:

But his agent insisted that QPR did not appear to treat Borini as an important player.

“He is still under contract with Liverpool for another two years and the club decided not to listen to offers for Fabio to go out on loan this season.

"Liverpool did not allow it [a loan] and the final thing came from the situation with QPR who made an important offer to buy him right away.

"If we consider that he is an important player to merit an important offer, then the player should be treated as an important player.

"For me, the conditions for this to happen were lacking on both sides."

"Importantly", there are three sides, not two in this. Two of the three managed to come to an agreement. It was the third side who didn't manage the same feat.

I have to bow to Borini's agent as he should know better than me, but I could swear it was reported that he signed a five year deal when he signed (I remember thinking it was over the top at the time), and having just looked on Transfermarkt, who are normally pretty accurate, they have him down as being under contract until June 2017, which is five years from when he signed and three years (possibly minus a few weeks) remaining.

If he only has two years left you could understand us not loaning him out, as he'll only go for pennies next Summer with only a year left and at least this way we get use from him should we need it. I imagine he'll be off back to Italy in January if any of the clubs find some cash down their sofa's, and as neither Milan club, who have both been linked, are in the CL and only Inter are in the UEFA Cup, so Borini wouldn't be 'cup tied' unless Inter remain in the competition and we end up in it after Christmas. 

Maybe Borini's agent has filled his head with the idea that he's the next Roberto Bettega or Toto Schillaci:

“Fabio had a great season and he is back at Liverpool,” the player’s said to www.tuttomercatoweb.com. “He has proved he can play at a high level.

“Now Fabio will remain at Liverpool and try to convince the coach to give him playing time.

“I remember that he (Borini) was the first signing the Liverpool coach wanted when he (Rodgers) arrived at Liverpool.

“Fabio is in one of the most important clubs in the world and what will happen in the future we don’t know.”

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 02, 2014, 08:22:17 PM »
Interestingly on the same day (or day after) as Rednapp was having a pop at us for 'supposedly' leaking the reason for Remi's failed deal, he's quite happy to reveal exactly how much Borini was allegedly asking for.

To quote him directly: "You could say you couldn’t agree terms and you all move on."

"We’ve all done it, though. I’m not saying no other club has done it, but it’s something that should be changed."

So until "it's changed", I guess he'll continue to do it.

I wonder what he (Borini) agreed to or asked for off Sunderland, as by Poyet's comments throughout the Summer, it didn't appear that they hadn't and/or couldn't agree terms with Borini, or maybe Poyet just has more class and is far more circumspect than "Mr Car Window".
The repair bills for burnt out electric window motors must cost 'Arry 'a packet'. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 03, 2014, 12:33:48 PM »
Liverpool complete signing of Spanish under-17 international Madger Antonio from Villarreal

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-complete-signing-spanish-under-17-4156208

Liverpool AGREE deal to sign Spain starlet dubbed 'the new Luis Figo'

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/397841/Liverpool-AGREE-deal-to-sign-Spain-starlet-dubbed-the-new-Luis-Figo

So we've signed the new "Jimmy Carter" or "Mark Kennedy".   ;D

His idols are Raheem Sterling and Jordan Ibe. He stated, "I look up to those two guys and try and model myself on them in every way."  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:36:42 PM by Tes »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 03, 2014, 01:02:29 PM »
Manchester United and Liverpool both missed out on summer transfer for Germany World Cup winner Christoph Kramer

http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/03/manchester-united-and-liverpool-both-missed-out-on-summer-transfer-for-germany-world-cup-winner-christoph-kramer-4855342/

It's good to see we at least attempted to sign a young, quality defensive midfielder.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 04, 2014, 05:31:45 PM »
With Borini, there's been no indication that he priced himself out of a move to Sunderland, rather he just didn't want to go there. If one of the Italian clubs had come in for him as had been rumoured, then I'm pretty certain he would have 'gone home'. We chose to sign him and gave him the contract we did and he's entitled to hold us to it as we would hold him to it if it suited us.

I think Borini is a serious, professional who wants to prove himself with us, or at least fail having been given a fair crack. He left what was a very good situation for him, having just come off an excellent season with Roma, having signed permanently in the January, he scored 9 goals in 24 matches and was a regular first team player, and had made his debut for the Italian Senior National team.

Along comes a manager who he's already played for twice before, obviously showing great belief in him, backed up by the offer of a 5 year contract. He could have stayed at Roma and it was probably a mistake him not doing, but he strikes be as a very determined and grounded individual who wished to challenge himself.

I dunno, Tes.

I think the lad has been very badly advised.

He will never IMHO be good enough to be a regular first team player for Liverpool.

He had the chance to go back to Sunderland.  It collapsed.  The Sunderland boss strangely claims that the move didn;t break down for the reason many are thinking (assuming, wage demands).

The move to QPR breaks down too.  According to the papers, it collapsed due to QPR not being willing to meet his demands of a £95,000-a-week contract, a severance package from Liverpool and an exit clause from QPR  allowing him to leave for less than 10 million (I assume this would have kicked in, should the club get relegated).

It looks to me that the lad is on a decent contract at Liverpool - and rather than take a good wage increase (20,000 more), and get regular football at another club - albeit a lesser one, he prefers to sit in the reserves at Liverpool.

He is doing himself no favours - and he is hurting Liverpool.

What he should have done - if this was how he felt - was to say that "Yes, I had the opportunity to move and get more money at other clubs.  But I worked all my life to get to a wonderful club like Liverpool.  And I want to try my utmost to make a success of my time at Anfield."

Instead, he had a Cantona moment, with the seagulls after his trawler, and shouted:  "Finally the madness is finished! I protected the MAN and the player that I am today, taking all the responsibility of the situation and for people who didn't want it...and I am VERY happy with myself to have taken such an important decision!"

He looks like he is at war with the world.  And rather than take advice, and help from a good advisor/agent, he has used google translate in a moment of high emotion.

Strange behaviour.  I think he is badly advised.  Heck, maybe he has had no advice at all.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 04, 2014, 06:06:34 PM »
He clearly wants to be at a team not fighting relegation every year which seems acceptable to me. As he had interest in Italy from various clubs but only on a loan basis.

So taking that premise he'd be thinking quite rightly so that he has enough ability to compete - moreso - in a team higher up the table than the likes of QPR and Sunderland but lower than where we want to be.

I think he'll go on loan in January and leave permanently next summer. We'll get around £7m for him then I reckon.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 04, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »
but I think, based on the performances that I have seen so far of Borini in England, that Sunderland, Villa, QPR, etc is his level.

Maybe the lad has to accept that at some point.

But I agree with you, re January.  I think he will get a loan back to Italy.  Which will ultimately mean Liverpool taking a loss on him (when he eventually is sold).

He has made a mistake.  He could have had a good career in England, albeit at a lower level (than the top four clubs), and on very good money.