December 05, 2020, 11:10:00 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 83074 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 12:48:36 AM »
New central defender already signed:

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 02:20:41 PM »
 :D

Gerrard in training for new season.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »
New central defender already signed:

Our new defensive coach shows how to bring the ball out and play from the back.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 06:39:34 PM »
Ashley Cole is being linked on a free transfer.

Ok, he's experienced and all that, but what a twot of a person.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 07:12:22 PM »
I'd love to sign Steven Caulker. Under the right tutelage he'd be a brilliant centre back. As it is at this time he is already very good.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 07:30:38 PM »
I'd love to sign Steven Caulker. Under the right tutelage he'd be a brilliant centre back. As it is at this time he is already very good.

I don't understand why Spurs let him go, and therefore what, if anything, does that say about him.

He seems to have a decent reputation, but I have read several comments from people who have seen him regularly this season and it paints a slightly different picture, so I'm conflicted over this one.

We keep being linked with La Liga players, not necessarily just Spanish, but I'm always a bit concerned about how well they'd cope with the physicality and aerial aspect of the PL.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2014, 06:05:33 PM »
Sunderland want Borini back from Liverpool next season

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/sunderland-want-borini-back-from-liverpool-next-season-1-6608556

This would probably be a good idea as it would give us another season to see if he can develop into a good enough player for what we need. Additionally, if he fails a little short, there's a chance Sunderland or another PL club would still take him, and Poyet's way of playing would be as good as any to help him develop.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2014, 06:24:15 PM »
Iago Aspas hints immediate future is with Liverpool… but eyes Spain return

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/378156/Iago-Aspas-hints-immediate-future-is-with-Liverpool-but-eyes-Spain-return

Do we keep him for squad depth and hope it's only a 'first season blues' thing, loan him out to a PL team ala Borini, or try to get him repatriated to La Liga?

Maybe we could use him as a 'makeweight' if we're looking at players from La Liga like Dani Parejo of Valencia, who we keep being linked with. Apparently they've inquired about Aspas before.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »
Liverpool willing to offer duo to land Lallana

http://www.footballdirectnews.com/premier-league-news/48884-liverpool-willing-to-offer-duo-to-land-lallana.php

This one's a bit far fetched.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
Manchester United and Liverpool keen on bringing £8m former Arsenal man Alex Song back to the Premier League

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfer-news-alex-song-3519145

If we could him for around the quoted fee, I think it would be a shrewd piece of business. Plenty of PL with his best years still ahead of him.

I think these are the sort of deals we should be looking at rather than risking £20M+ on the likes of Llana.

Also, now Fulham have departed we should also try to get Malcolm Elias back as the youth chief scout. He has the midas touch at unearthing young talent and young players can be a another source of income as well as saving ourselves risking daft amounts in the transfer market. Additionally, young players coming through add to the feeling of stability, which I think has played a huge part in this season's success.
Apart from Mignolet and Sakho, all the core players used were here for the beginning of last season, and I'm sure stability of the squad and relatively low player turnover has been the main reason behind Arsenal continually qualifying for the CL 17 seasons in succession. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2014, 10:56:56 PM »
Michel Vorm on Liverpool's radar as Reds line up £5m move for Swansea goalkeeper

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2624702/Michel-Vorm-Liverpools-radar-Reds-line-5m-Swansea-goalkeeper.html

Smells like made up nonsense.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2014, 11:52:10 PM »
IMO Lallana would be no risk at all. He'd actually be perfect for us.

Lallana would be a fantastic signing on several levels.

One his is technical ability which is definitely top class and a such the comparison to Downing or Adam or Carroll are laughable. His technique, skill, touch and all round passing are at top class level already.

Secondly he can play in a variety of roles in our attack and giving us further options. Thirdly he is also a leader and we lack those.

Fourthly physically he is hard to knock off and that is important in this league.

But MUCH more importantly and imo one of the key reasons Brendan wants him his is mentality. Lallana's mentality is brilliant. Unlike Downing for example Lallana doesn't hide (not the same as goes missing in a game) and has positive intent in his play.

I also agree trying to sign Song would be a shrewd bit of business and I'd be all over it especially if he replaces Lucas in the squad.

I'm in the minority I reckon of people who'd keep Borini in our squad for next season. He's already proven at Sunderland that he can do it at this level. Personally I don't get what another 12 months will do for him or us. plus another 12 months means less time on his contract and less money in any sales. So hopefully he either stays or gets sold permanently. But I want him to stay. His movement is top class which means he'd gel right in with our attacking unit.

Imagine if we bought Lallana and Kopoplyanka and kept Borini. We'd have those three plus Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho as attacking options.

I'd actually give saints Alberto on loan if it sweetened the deal. Then he'd hopefully progress like Borini as he has the talent but needs games really to develop that. But I'd keep Enrique.

In regards to Vorm it probably is paper talk but I wouldn't mind signing him at all. £5m for him would be a sweet deal as he'd offer serious competition to Mignolet and as seen at Swansea isn't complaining to loudly at being benched - which he will be here most of the time.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 01:06:44 AM »

I'm in the minority I reckon of people who'd keep Borini in our squad for next season. He's already proven at Sunderland that he can do it at this level. Personally I don't get what another 12 months will do for him or us. plus another 12 months means less time on his contract and less money in any sales. So hopefully he either stays or gets sold permanently. But I want him to stay. His movement is top class which means he'd gel right in with our attacking unit.

Edward, I understand your points, especially re contract/valuation. My reservation with him is if he's kept as squad player will he able to perform to the level required if he's not playing regularly? He's shown a noticeable improvement at Sunderland to what we saw (injuries certainly didn't help his cause last season) but he's had regular playing time, especially of late, which I'm sure has contributed to his improved form.

I'd agree that Llana's no Downing and the example used (Downing) was a poor one as it proves a different point entirely. I know what you're saying re his attributes, but considering how small our squad really is, and the numbers required, can we afford so much on one player?

It's possibly three first eleven players minimum, plus gaps in cover/options, and even then we're still looking pretty thin on numbers, unless we've got two, three or even four youngsters who could potentially be ready to step up like Flano really has this season.

If we're to spend £20M ish on Llana, who does he replace as a starter?

Song as a replacement for Lucas, who's regular injury problems I feel are starting to take it's toll, would definitely be a low net cost upgrade. I think Brendan's done much better at creating/improving what we need, rather than when he's acquired more established players, though the likes of Aspas and Assaidi hardly gave him much to work with.