December 02, 2020, 10:19:08 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 82891 times)

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 11:54:31 AM »
Cissokho, Moses, Alberto and Aspas are definite goners apparently.

With CL money and money FSG will provide we should have at least £60m before sales to fund our transfer business. So If it took £45m to buy Lallana and Konoplyanka to make sew up our attacking unit for the next 5 fives I'd definitely do it.

That will leave £15m plus money from sales to get a centre back and full back and perhaps another central mid.

Of course I am just speculating here.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2014, 05:40:11 PM »

With CL money and money FSG will provide we should have at least £60m before sales to fund our transfer business. So If it took £45m to buy Lallana and Konoplyanka to make sew up our attacking unit for the next 5 fives I'd definitely do it.

That will leave £15m plus money from sales to get a centre back and full back and perhaps another central mid.

Of course I am just speculating here.

The first two are definitely off as their loans won't be made permanent. You'd imagine Aspas would leave if we, he or his agent could find him a club in Spain. Alberto, I'm not so sure about. I haven't a clue what to make of him as he's appeared far too fleetingly, but it's interesting that he's been a recent omission from matchday squads.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2014, 06:27:03 PM »
That may be down to because he was caught for drunken driving.....silly boy.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 10:39:52 PM »

the 4 need to be moved on.

my only major question, is Borini.

the lad has done well at Sunderland and is well thought of......a top professional.

will he ever be Liverpool quality, I dunno.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2014, 12:37:52 AM »
That may be down to because he was caught for drunken driving.....silly boy.

Didn't he get banned a while back? I'd imagine the problem was therefore more to do with how he's 'refuelling', as Sir Bobby Robson famously said of Gazza, than the fact he got behind the wheel.

I'd forgotten about that until you mentioned, Edward. Silly sod.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2014, 11:15:17 AM »
Eriksen is unhappy at Spurs and wants out this Summer apparently. Whilst I'd imagine he won't be costing 'only' £11M again, I'd love him to be at least considered. Eriksen and Lovren for around the price of a Sakho - our transfer dealings are definitely an area where we need to improve hugely.

When you think how poor our transfer dealings overall have been and the vast room for improvement there is there, plus, the obvious defensive situation, it's quite exciting to think where we could be if both areas are improved to even 80%/90% of maximum capacity.

I just hope we don't go lashing huge sums on 'names' this Summer. I know a lot of fans feel we should and look at the likes of Chelsea and City and see them playing real life 'football manager', but we've got to where we are this season with sound coaching of individuals and a strong team ethic. Quite rightly the owners are trying to scale back larger salaries, but are also awarding them as reward for actual achievement.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2014, 06:42:28 PM »
What about Barry on a free if the wages were sensible? Massive experience, a leader on and off the pitch, and cool head.

Gary Mac was an influential signing even at the age he was and Barry could be the same. Sometimes what is brought to the training ground and dressing room can prove to be just as beneficial.
The likelihood is that most new recruits will be under 25, so we need a touch of experience to help balance that out, and Barry brings the organisational skills we've lack at certain points during the season. 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2014, 11:00:42 PM »
IMO Lallana would be no risk at all. He'd actually be perfect for us.

Lallana would be a fantastic signing on several levels.

Bournemouth inserted a 25% sell on clause when Southampton signed him. I hope this doesn't send the price above the £20M being bandied about in order to clear what they (Southampton) regard as an acceptable amount after the 25% has been deducted.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 08:43:58 PM »
What about Barry on a free if the wages were sensible? Massive experience, a leader on and off the pitch, and cool head.

Gary Mac was an influential signing even at the age he was and Barry could be the same.

in this very forum, I said a few times at the start of the season, that we should have got Barry in (and I cited the similarity with Gary Mac).

Indeed, Barry may have been the difference between winning the title, and not winning it. 

Everton would have to pay a two and a half million fee for him.....other clubs get him for free.

Even though he is a year older - now 33 - I still think he would be a good bet.

BUT, at that age, he will go to a club that offers him a 2 or 3 year contract.

Whereas, one year contracts are better for the club at this point (for someone over 30).

If the money was right, then he would be a good acquisition.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 10:06:01 PM »
I know I'll get slated but we really need a Diamé type of CM. He really is a quality player IMHO, though, no doubt Edward will disagree. ;D
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 12:08:09 AM »
in this very forum, I said a few times at the start of the season, that we should have got Barry in (and I cited the similarity with Gary Mac).

Indeed, Barry may have been the difference between winning the title, and not winning it. 

Everton would have to pay a two and a half million fee for him.....other clubs get him for free.

Even though he is a year older - now 33 - I still think he would be a good bet.

BUT, at that age, he will go to a club that offers him a 2 or 3 year contract.

Whereas, one year contracts are better for the club at this point (for someone over 30).

If the money was right, then he would be a good acquisition.

The likes of Barry, and though I feel dirty saying it I'm warming to the idea, Ashley Cole, would have been priceless to help us through the last 3 games of the season.
We're also going to need to need experience in the CL, and some 'mentors' if we take the cups more seriously, especially if we use a mixture of under used squad players and younger players.

I think we need to balance the squad out with a bit more experience as well as quality young 'up and comers'. That would definitely be my preference over big name, big ticket, big salary type players. The formula got us close this time and seems to be fermented an excellent team spirit.

The crucial point with the likes of Barry, Cole etc, is will it be about football or money? 

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 12:20:06 AM »
I know I'll get slated but we really need a Diamé type of CM. He really is a quality player IMHO, though, no doubt Edward will disagree. ;D

Dave Whelan wasn't exactly fighting them off when he was available at Wigan and Fat Sham doesn't seem to have had too many problems. I'm really not sure about him. He's massively inconsistent for starters. We'll wait for Edward's opinion.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2014, 12:37:24 AM »
Van Gaal is to give Chris Woods the boot as the Mancs goal keeping coach. Worth a shot? I can't say that Achterburg's exactly been a success with either Pepe or Mignolet.

Offline Martinmarx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2014, 09:29:18 AM »
Having watched the absolutely fantastic displays by Kolarov and Zabaleta inte final 3 games I've concluded signing a proper LB must be our no. 1 priority.
The modest Oracle of the Anfield Road Forum sometimes mistaken for Judas Iscariot.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2014, 10:28:42 PM »
Marko Marin could be on his way out of Chelsea. If he could be acquired for a more than decent fee, he is exactly the sort of player that Rodgers seems to do so well with rejuvenating and improving.