December 02, 2020, 09:26:18 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 82864 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2014, 09:45:42 AM »
Liverpool in danger of revisiting ‘British player tax’ with Adam Lallana

Adam Lallana is a good player and he’s had a very good season for Southampton.  However, the amount of money Liverpool are supposedly ready to pay for him is…absurd.

The Mirror’s David Maddock – who is generally pretty plugged-in  to events on Merseyside – has Liverpool paying around £40m for Lallana and Dejan Lovren.

For argument’s sake, let’s say that Lovren represents about £15m of that – at most – and Lallana accounts for the rest.  £25m?  There’s a difference between being a very good player and being a £25m player.  Yes, Lallana has had a good season and his ability on the ball has been one of the features of Southampton’s success this year, but would he really be that noticeable if he wasn’t English?

If this was just A N Other player in La Liga or Serie A, would he be that remarkable?  He would still be a very capable attacking-midfielder, but for that kind of money you would expect to get a week-to-week difference-maker and someone who is consistently going to win games by himself.  Lallana is great to watch and he produces a lovely looking highlight reel at the end of each season, but he’s just not that class of player.

The Champions League provides a huge boost in revenue and it gives clubs a big advantage over non-participating sides in their domestic league; it would be a real shame if Liverpool got sucked into paying inflated prices for British players having worked so hard for second place this year.  It’s a time for steady, incremental improvement, not over-enthusiastic spending for the sake of it.

Not to be too harsh on the player, but for £25m a club could buy two Adam Lallana’s abroad.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/liverpool-in-danger-of-revisiting-british-player-tax-with-adam-lallana/
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2014, 05:50:11 PM »
An excellent piece by the Echo on the left backs we've been linked with (actually, only some of the left backs):

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/analysis-left-back-fits-bill-liverpool-7134089

I don't understand the appeal of Bertrand. He couldn't get in the Chelsea team at left back ahead of a right back playing out of position, and unless Flano is definitely going to be first choice right back, then I'd keep Flano there ahead of Bertrand.

Also, Bertrand's hardly going to come cheap. Chelsea selling to a rival + British premium = overpriced, lesser quality purchase. Unless we can get Bertrand for a couple of million, and then just to add a second left back, then I'd hope we wouldn't bother with him.

Rodriguez seems the stand out choice.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2014, 10:40:29 PM »
No new deal for Glen Johnson but Reds not looking to sell

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-no-new-deal-7133454

"The Reds’ approach to Johnson is also influenced by the terms of the contract he penned when Damien Comolli was director of football in July 2011. There is a significant reduction in his basic wage during the final year of his deal."

Finally, something Comolli actually got right. Still only half as many times as a stopped clock.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »
Luis Suarez set to spark £100MILLION tussle between Real Madrid and Barcelona

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2631299/Luis-Suarez-set-spark-100MILLION-war-Real-Madrid-Barcelona.html

Whilst I don't believe a bluffer like Rob Shephard, there is a worrying scenario where we lose out in the game of 'striker musical chairs'.

Madrid sell Benzema to Arsenal to fund buying Suarez, and Chelsea get Costa before this happens, leaving us minus our best striker and the preferred replacement (if last Summer's anything to go by).

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2014, 02:06:29 PM »
Now we're being linked with Alexis Sanchez of Barca. If we were to sign the likes of Sanchez or Kono, what would that mean for the likes of Jordan Ibe, and where would the like fit into the team?

Also we're being linked with Bony, but like with Lovren we'd be paying almost double what they went for a year ago, and after just one season in the PL.

If Borini's coming back, do we also need to splurge £20M om the likes of Bony? 

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »
Liverpool in danger of revisiting ‘British player tax’ with Adam Lallana

Adam Lallana is a good player and he’s had a very good season for Southampton.  However, the amount of money Liverpool are supposedly ready to pay for him is…absurd.

The Mirror’s David Maddock – who is generally pretty plugged-in  to events on Merseyside – has Liverpool paying around £40m for Lallana and Dejan Lovren.

For argument’s sake, let’s say that Lovren represents about £15m of that – at most – and Lallana accounts for the rest.  £25m?  There’s a difference between being a very good player and being a £25m player.  Yes, Lallana has had a good season and his ability on the ball has been one of the features of Southampton’s success this year, but would he really be that noticeable if he wasn’t English?

If this was just A N Other player in La Liga or Serie A, would he be that remarkable?  He would still be a very capable attacking-midfielder, but for that kind of money you would expect to get a week-to-week difference-maker and someone who is consistently going to win games by himself.  Lallana is great to watch and he produces a lovely looking highlight reel at the end of each season, but he’s just not that class of player.

The Champions League provides a huge boost in revenue and it gives clubs a big advantage over non-participating sides in their domestic league; it would be a real shame if Liverpool got sucked into paying inflated prices for British players having worked so hard for second place this year.  It’s a time for steady, incremental improvement, not over-enthusiastic spending for the sake of it.

Not to be too harsh on the player, but for £25m a club could buy two Adam Lallana’s abroad.

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/liverpool-in-danger-of-revisiting-british-player-tax-with-adam-lallana/

"That said, it could also get you a Gaston Ramirez and a Dani Osvaldo".

I know who I'd prefer out of those 3.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2014, 03:38:33 PM »

"That said, it could also get you a Gaston Ramirez and a Dani Osvaldo".

I know who I'd prefer out of those 3.

Very true. 'Valuation' is very subjective and I guess we also have to factor in the value to the manager in the way he sees the player fitting in and how that can enhance his overall plans for the team at different points in a game and the season.

The rumoured £60M isn't going to go that far, but 3 quality additions would be far better than 6 'destined to be squad filler' types.

I just hope we don't overspend on 'attackers' forcing us to 'economise'  on defensive players. We may be short on one or two in terms of numbers but our current attackers are definitely effective, so absolute priority has to be placed on the defensive aspects within the team.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2014, 09:14:51 AM »
We're apparently willing to let Agger go:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-still-keen-sign-7148742

As Lovren's right footed, if we were to get him, Agger and Lovren would be a great combination.

Lovren had no own goals to his name compared to Skrtel's 4. He's nearly caught up Carra in one season.  ;D

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2014, 11:11:10 AM »
We're apparently willing to let Agger go:

Yeah good riddance, who needs skilful defenders who are good on the ball, can defend and can change defence into attack at a moments notice, anyway?
What's that? Oh we do? That if Agger had been playing and covering at the back like he always does, then gerrards slip wouldn't have resulted us in losing the title?
Oh...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:12:25 AM by barticus »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2014, 07:41:26 PM »
I see the price of Lallana keeps going up with the price now at 25 mil plus....rakitic from Sevilla would be a much more astute buy...as would moreno also from sevilla...

Also saw some speculation about Mascherano coming back, and as he's only 29 i'd welcome him back with open arms...

...and maybe lovren from Southampton in defence...

Emre Can from Bayer Leverkeusen is said to be a done deal by the german national paper, Bild

Get those players above, a couple of wingers and keep most of the current squad and we'd be pretty bloody tasty... 

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2014, 11:04:23 PM »
We've agreed personal terms with Lallana. Just the fee to sort out with Southampton.

We've also had a £15m bid for Lovren rejected however its almost a lock that he too will join us.

Also I can categorically state that we do not want Mascherano. But we do want Can.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:05:54 PM by Edward224 »

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2014, 08:20:22 AM »
Uh oh...just heard on bbc tv...suarez undergoes knee surgery after training field accident.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2014, 11:28:12 AM »
We've agreed personal terms with Lallana. Just the fee to sort out with Southampton.

We've also had a £15m bid for Lovren rejected however its almost a lock that he too will join us.

Also I can categorically state that we do not want Mascherano. But we do want Can.

Hmm ok....good news then about the saints duo.....pity about the monster masch....
also linked with Pedro from Barca...any news on him?

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2014, 08:57:08 AM »
That if Agger had been playing and covering at the back like he always does, then gerrards slip wouldn't have resulted us in losing the title?
Oh...

If Agger had been playing I doubt he would have made the pass to Gerrard in the first place. He'd have held on to it, or carried it forward as there was no Chelsea player moving to close down, or played it out to Flano, who was moving back towards Sakho to make himself available as he had no Chelsea 'shadow' either. The pass was a rookie mistake by Sakho, compounded by Gerrard's slip.

Agger is the last of the senior defenders that should be allowed to leave. BTW, what ever happened to the squad depth idea?