December 05, 2020, 11:35:09 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 83091 times)

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2014, 09:01:01 AM »
We've agreed personal terms with Lallana. Just the fee to sort out with Southampton.

We've also had a £15m bid for Lovren rejected however its almost a lock that he too will join us.

Also I can categorically state that we do not want Mascherano. But we do want Can.

We do we keep doing the same thing. We don't go after a player when he's available for a decent fee (and we had been monitoring Lovren since Rafa's last Summer) but then wait and pay double a year after another club brings the player to the PL. Our scouting and decision making about players has to improve if we're to keep progressing.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2014, 09:07:52 AM »
I see the price of Lallana keeps going up with the price now at 25 mil plus....rakitic from Sevilla would be a much more astute buy...as would moreno also from sevilla...

Bart, I don't Rakitic is keen on leaving Spain. A new contract at Sevilla or a move to Real, who are apparently very interested, seems like the only two items on his agenda.

We should be putting our efforts into securing Ricardo Rodríguez as a priority signing. I worry that we'll 'settle' for the likes of Bertrand as a 'cheaper option', but our defence needs 'investment', not cheaper options, brought in just so "that's that position sorted".   

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2014, 01:36:05 PM »
Tony Barrett says we've made a significant breakthrough in signing Emre Can.

In regards to Lovren we all know he basically used Southampton as a stepping stone to a bigger club in England. I'm not quite sure what to make of Lovren tbh. Although every time I see him he looks good and for £15m - even though it is almost double what saints paid last year - would still be a cheap purchase (£48m for Luiz LOL ) but at Lyon he was a bit inconsistent. Having said that when he moved to Lyon he was quite young so I suppose you have to take that into account. Certainly at southampton he is consistent and is a more intelligent player than Skrtel for definite. But it isn't a done deal quite yet. But if Brendan sees him as the answer then I'll go along with that.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2014, 02:32:03 PM »
I agree with you all.

Agger loves Liverpool.  He should be finishing his career with us.

And if the guy in the dugout had some sense. he would have used the lad a lot more often last season.  We might have won against Chelsea and Palace, to take the title.

But Brendan has his opinions - and thus the likes of Agger and Reina, get dumped. 

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »
Tony Barrett says we've made a significant breakthrough in signing Emre Can.

In regards to Lovren we all know he basically used Southampton as a stepping stone to a bigger club in England. I'm not quite sure what to make of Lovren tbh. Although every time I see him he looks good and for £15m - even though it is almost double what saints paid last year - would still be a cheap purchase (£48m for Luiz LOL ) but at Lyon he was a bit inconsistent. Having said that when he moved to Lyon he was quite young so I suppose you have to take that into account. Certainly at southampton he is consistent and is a more intelligent player than Skrtel for definite. But it isn't a done deal quite yet. But if Brendan sees him as the answer then I'll go along with that.

Emre Can looks t be a very interesting acquisition.  Though, at 20 years of age, he's not going to go straight into the side and set us on fire.   And I thought that that was the type of players we were after. 

Lovren, I have no idea about.

Seems a lot of money.   Though I do see overnight that the Utd deal for Southampton's fullback looks like unravelling.   And if Southampton keep on demanding 25 or 26 million (plus bonuses) for Lallamba, then I can see that deal going south too.  There is far better value/quality to be had in europe, for that type of money.

Though a lad with premiership experience will tend to have a better chance of hitting the ground running.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2014, 02:43:11 PM »
I see in yesterday's press, that we have apparently held talks with QPR's Loic Remy.

The striker spent last season on loan at Newcastle - and performed well.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2014, 04:55:01 PM »
I see in yesterday's press, that we have apparently held talks with QPR's Loic Remy.

The striker spent last season on loan at Newcastle - and performed well.

14 in 24, and for £8M, seems like a sensible acquisition, if we can pull it off. I think he's also the sort of forward player that could fit straight in. I'd prefer us not to go down the route of big names, big fees, big wages, as we've managed to start building something without that need, with individuals growing and improving as the group grows and improves. I'd like the likes of Suso and Alberto to be given consideration and a chance before we necessarily look outside the club. If not let's get them quality loans on the basis that we're preparing them for a future with us, likewise Ilori.

Continuity and stability has to be the way forward, it's why Danny Agger has to stay. Likewise Lucas and Allen. Give them both another season, see if they can stay injury free and get back to previous performance levels.
And they are both exactly the sort of solid pros to show the younger players the way forward and as great role models.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
Emre Can looks t be a very interesting acquisition.  Though, at 20 years of age, he's not going to go straight into the side and set us on fire.   

I think he could prove a very solid buy, and one that could quickly grow into the team.

Lovren, I really like as a player, and we should have taken our chances whilst he was at Lyon. I'd love to see him and Agger partnered together, and I think he could even steady Sakho down a bit too. He's a real leader on the pitch, a good organiser, and we need more of them.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2014, 07:16:02 PM »
IMO neither Agger nor Skrtel will be here for the 15/16 season. I reckon one will leave this summer and the other one next summer.

Agger has asked the club to listen to offers for him - and we will.

I don't think Agger would have improved us massively at the back instead of the two we had anyway really. He's made plenty of mistakes himself. Sakho is set so we'll be buying someone to partner him. Both Sakho and Agger are LCB's so really they'd be competing against one another, unless one of the two is willing or able to play as a RCB.

Sakho is a leader on the pitch you just won't realise it until he learns english better. But I've watched him since he was 17. He is definitely a leader on the pitch and his passing ability his magnificent. He's willing to try and not play the safe percentage pass all the time but plays the pass which has lower percentage success at that area of the field but much higher percentage when we attack - which Brendan encourages - which is the key fact we need to remember.

I love Lucas but I think the end is nigh on for him really. Can is effectively going to be his replacement. As we saw when Henderson was suspended Lucas could not match his energy and pressing ability and Gerrard isn't going to move from his new position. Of course if Lucas is willing be 4th option DM (behind Gerrard, Can and Allen) then I'd keep him for another year, but unfortunately his injury a few years ago as meant that he has lost some of that ability he had.

Allen is here for a LONG time so Tes I'm not sure why you're suggesting giving him another season. Because both he and Henderson will be the present and future of our midfield for the next 5 years.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »
14 in 24, and for £8M, seems like a sensible acquisition, if we can pull it off. I think he's also the sort of forward player that could fit straight in.

With McClaren working his normal magic and therefore QPR and 'Arry getting promoted, we've probably lost our best chance of getting Remy for a 'sensible' fee.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2014, 08:38:07 PM »
If there's any truth in Rodgers thinking about City's Micah Richards, he'd do a lot worse than look at Tolouse's Serge Aurier, 6 goals, 7 assists in 34 Ligue 1 matches and at a valuation of around £6M, arguably better value too.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2014, 11:15:03 PM »
Aurier is more than likely off to Arsenal.

I hope we don't get Micah Richards either.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2014, 11:23:22 PM »
Aurier is more than likely off to Arsenal.

I hope we don't get Micah Richards either.

I know Arsenal are looking at Aurier, but also Atsuto Uchida from Schalke. Hope they get the latter, and us the former.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2014, 11:42:08 PM »
IMO neither Agger nor Skrtel will be here for the 15/16 season. I reckon one will leave this summer and the other one next summer.

Agger has asked the club to listen to offers for him - and we will.

I don't think Agger would have improved us massively at the back instead of the two we had anyway really. He's made plenty of mistakes himself. Sakho is set so we'll be buying someone to partner him. Both Sakho and Agger are LCB's so really they'd be competing against one another, unless one of the two is willing or able to play as a RCB.

Sakho is a leader on the pitch you just won't realise it until he learns english better. But I've watched him since he was 17. He is definitely a leader on the pitch and his passing ability his magnificent. He's willing to try and not play the safe percentage pass all the time but plays the pass which has lower percentage success at that area of the field but much higher percentage when we attack - which Brendan encourages - which is the key fact we need to remember.

I love Lucas but I think the end is nigh on for him really. Can is effectively going to be his replacement. As we saw when Henderson was suspended Lucas could not match his energy and pressing ability and Gerrard isn't going to move from his new position. Of course if Lucas is willing be 4th option DM (behind Gerrard, Can and Allen) then I'd keep him for another year, but unfortunately his injury a few years ago as meant that he has lost some of that ability he had.

Allen is here for a LONG time so Tes I'm not sure why you're suggesting giving him another season. Because both he and Henderson will be the present and future of our midfield for the next 5 years.

But as our core squad is so bereft of numbers and overall quality as it is, if we lose experience and two more in number in Agger and Lucas, surely they have to be replaced in addition to Can in Lucas' case and Lovren (perhaps).

I'd prefer Agger and Sakho, rather than one or the other.

What I meant with Allen is that he's had two very mixed seasons, mainly because of injury, and the reduced contribution when first coming back from injury, which is normal, but I'd like to see what he could contribute given a full, injury free season.

I'd rather we didn't lose Lucas or Agger this Summer to keep the numbers up, but if our recruitment this Summer has the required effect, then we could look to replace such like next Summer, either by buying in or if we have anyone in the junior teams ready to step up. If as you say Skrtel and Agger depart over the next two Summers, which I wouldn't agree with happening necessarily, but agree with you that it's the likely outcome, I'd rather replace Skrtel with Lovren and then look again at Agger next Summer (that's if he's prepared to fight for his place and not expect it to be handed to him).

Any player who doesn't relish competition for their place on a personal/professional level, and welcome it for the benefits it brings to the team and squad, isn't the sort of player that will help take us forward, and so I'd not be sorry to see them leave ultimately.