December 02, 2020, 10:16:52 AM

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window 2014  (Read 82890 times)

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
  • that rug really tied the room together
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Transfer Window 2014
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2014, 03:52:08 PM »
14 in 24, and for £8M, seems like a sensible acquisition, if we can pull it off. I think he's also the sort of forward player that could fit straight in. I'd prefer us not to go down the route of big names, big fees, big wages, as we've managed to start building something without that need, with individuals growing and improving as the group grows and improves. I'd like the likes of Suso and Alberto to be given consideration and a chance before we necessarily look outside the club. If not let's get them quality loans on the basis that we're preparing them for a future with us, likewise Ilori.

Continuity and stability has to be the way forward, it's why Danny Agger has to stay. Likewise Lucas and Allen. Give them both another season, see if they can stay injury free and get back to previous performance levels.
And they are both exactly the sort of solid pros to show the younger players the way forward and as great role models.

yes, I think Remy would be a sound piece of business.

though with QPR now back in the premiership, Harry may now not feel like selling (at least not at the previous price).

I am a tad worried about Lucas, and whether his injuries have caught up with him.  He needs a good pre-season, and then we can more easily judge where he is at in the new season.

yes, we need core players to give us stability and continuity.

though I do wish that Gerrard was put out to pasture.

In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

There’s no next time. It’s now or never.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2014, 03:56:23 PM »
I think he could prove a very solid buy, and one that could quickly grow into the team.

Lovren, I really like as a player, and we should have taken our chances whilst he was at Lyon. I'd love to see him and Agger partnered together, and I think he could even steady Sakho down a bit too. He's a real leader on the pitch, a good organiser, and we need more of them.

yes, I think Can could be another good piece of business, for us.

I haven't seen enough of Lovren, so I will take your word on him.
In the midst of winter, I finally learned that there was, in me, an invincible summer.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »
IMO neither Agger nor Skrtel will be here for the 15/16 season. I reckon one will leave this summer and the other one next summer.

-------------

Sakho is definitely a leader on the pitch and his passing ability his magnificent. He's willing to try and not play the safe percentage pass all the time but plays the pass which has lower percentage success

perhaps if Sakho had played the safe percentage pass, along the back line against Chelsea, we might have won the title, Edward.   :)

There is a time for being bold, and a time for playing the percentages.

But I agree with most of the rest of what you said.

Like you, rightly or wrongly, I think Rodgers will ship out Agger and Skytrel, over the  course of the next year or two.   

But I think that time will reveal that the problem was not our defence.......the problem is/was our balance.

Even the finest defence in the world, will get embarrassed, if left exposed by one's midfield.

If we had the money, we could easily find an upgrade for Allen.  He offers no goal-scoring threat.....which is disappointing for a midfielder.   But that is not one of our key priorities.

Think back to the Eveton game, in mid-season....we led 1-0....Allen had a tap-in to make it 2-0, and most likely win the game.   He fluffed it, and we missed out on three points.  Crucial points.

Anyone can miss a chance.  But Allen has a notoriously poor scoring record, at every club he has been at.

Offline Edward224

• Established
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2014, 05:21:54 PM »
I agree with you on balance which is why we need two extremely good full backs.

Allen is the least of our worries. True he doesn't score goals and he should chip in with around 5-7 a season but its his pressing ability, his passing ability and in game intelligence is why Rodgers needs him. We scored 100 goals last season and we're going buy one or two more attacking players this summer so Allen's goal scoring record is the least of our worries.

In regards to Sakho you are right in that had he played a more safe pass then maybe the goal would not have happened but it is the way Rodgers wants the centre backs to play and it creates more goal scoring opportunities than it does goals conceded opportunities so Brendan is going to stick with it.

But yes the balance is important and we need to find the right balance in defence and midfield and in transition.

Offline the dude abides

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »
yes, balance is key.

I hope that Brendan has learned lessons from this season.

What do you think of the increasing price tag for the Southampton lad, Llahama?

If the media are to be believed, we have offered 20 million, and they want anywhere from 25 to 30.

I like the lad......good acquisition.

But once you start to go into mid and high 20s, you can't help but feel there is better value for money to be had abroad.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2014, 11:23:35 PM »
yes, I think Remy would be a sound piece of business.

though with QPR now back in the premiership, Harry may now not feel like selling (at least not at the previous price).

I am a tad worried about Lucas, and whether his injuries have caught up with him.  He needs a good pre-season, and then we can more easily judge where he is at in the new season.

yes, we need core players to give us stability and continuity.

though I do wish that Gerrard was put out to pasture.

Arsenal and Liverpool target Loic Remy can leave for £8m, says QPR boss Harry Redknapp

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2639062/Arsenal-Liverpool-target-Loic-Remy-leave-8m-says-QPR-boss-Harry-Redknapp.html

If he's £10M or less then it makes perfect sense, both in terms of fitting into the team when selected and from the point of value. He's entering his peak years and Sturridge and Coutinho have shown we don't need to spend huge amounts to get players that can really make a difference. I don't know where that would leave Borini, FA and League Cup appearances probably.
Don't make the same mistake twice, there's plenty of new ones to choose from.

Those who choose to preach would do well to take note of their own sermons.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2014, 11:29:31 PM »
The future of Liverpool! Daniel Sturridge praises 'lil bro' Jordan Ibe

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/478156/The-future-of-Liverpool-Daniel-Sturridge-praises-lil-bro-Jordan-Ibe

I'd love to see him break into the first team squad this season in a big way and save us a million along the way.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2014, 07:02:21 PM »
Apparently Bastian Schweinsteiger's available for a knockdown £10M. Is he worth a look? He'd certainly bring winning experience to the squad.

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2014, 06:45:11 AM »
Ah well...we won a league after all...!

'They might have blown the Premier League title but Liverpool held out for top spot in the official fair play league.

Brendan Rodgers' men edged last season's winners Arsenal into second place, while Everton and Manchester City were also left trailing in third and fourth place.

Luis Suarez's improved performance played a factor in Liverpool's rise from third to first, the Uruguay international striker received just six yellow cards and no red cards in comparison to 10 the season before.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2641767/Liverpool-edge-Arsenal-Everton-Man-City-win-Premier-League-Fair-Play-title.html

Offline barticus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2014, 06:45:32 AM »
Apparently Bastian Schweinsteiger's available for a knockdown £10M. Is he worth a look? He'd certainly bring winning experience to the squad.

Would be awesome for 10 mil...

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2014, 01:05:47 AM »
Ricky Lambert rumoured to be having a medical on Saturday ahead of a £4M move. Whilst he'll be 33 in January, I think this is canny move. He has a good goalscoring record, won't bleat about bench duty and is under rated I think in terms of ability. He's a top pro and a great example for the younger lads to aspire to, plus he's a lifelong Liverpool fan and was released as a youth player.

He seems to be viewed as 'a typical big man', but he's far more skillful than that, and having said that, he will give us a different option up front.

He's the English Dzeko.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2014, 08:25:44 AM »
Lambert has 29 goals and 15 assists in 75 PL games for Soton - meaning he's involved in nearly 2 goals for every 3 games he plays. I'd call that a difference maker, not bad for circa £4M.

He'd be the perfect player to help us defend a lead, as he works incredibly hard closing down and putting opponents under pressure and he's the sort that the ball can be played into/ up to and it sticks, meaning it doesn't come straight back at us and we're once again under pressure.

Neither of our forwards are strong in the air, so there's another dimension to help take advantage of corners and free kicks and someone who can help out defensively in the air at corners.

Offline Gurdeep

• Established
  • Gurdeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2014, 08:49:25 AM »
Morning Tes,

Just seen the Lambert story on BBC website.  You're 100% right, very canny/shrewd move for a player who works hard for the team.  I maybe wrong here but to me he's like the english version of Dirk Kuyt but can score more goals than the former. 
It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your testicles that you realize that there is always a way to solve a problem without using violence.!

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2014, 12:57:52 PM »
Morning Tes,

Just seen the Lambert story on BBC website.  You're 100% right, very canny/shrewd move for a player who works hard for the team.  I maybe wrong here but to me he's like the english version of Dirk Kuyt but can score more goals than the former.

Hi Gurdeep, how's everything with you. Good to see you on here, my friend.

The more you look at Lambert's qualities the more sense it makes. He gives us something different, but still within the framework of Rodgers' favoured tactics. It's funny that you draw the parallel with Dirk because it's something I've always thought about Lambert too. They're what I call 'catalyst players' in that the way they play and roles they fill, they allow others to be more effective than they otherwise would. Against a more physical, bus parking team, Lambert is exactly the sort of player that will tie up the centre halves, both with his strength, work rate and movement, and create space and opportunities for the likes of Sturridge, Suarez and Sterling. It's up to them to then take advantage.

He also has a 100% penalty conversion 31/31 for Southampton, so we have an alternative to Gerrard, who probably will be used a bit more sparingly, and is a very capable free kick taker.
Loss of pace won't prove a problem, as he's intelligent enough to let the ball do the work, and I can see him giving us 2 or 3 good seasons, whilst not blocking the route into the first team of a younger player, as from memory we don't have a similar type of player in the U-21s anyway.

Offline Tes

• Too old to be a
  • Veteran
  • I hate defending
    • View Profile